One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-13 20:31:22

Matbat

List of Jobs

I'll put these in some named categories: Task, Relaxing, Simple, Average, Tough, and Veteran

[Legend]  (This is the recommended time to do and to not do these jobs)
Eve Age (EA) - Also known as eve camp.
Mass Berry Era (MBE) - Time of which the main berry plantation is created. (20+ berry bushes)
Tool Age (TA) - When all tools are created, sheep are also bundled in this age.
Newcommen (NC) - After newcommen engines are created
End Game (EG) - When after the main struggles end and things like housing and medical supplies are produced.
Beyond (Beyond) - The struggle to maintain infinite.

(When to start doing these jobs - To what time you can still be doing these jobs)

(Short, non-full-life commitment, difficulty varies.)
Task Jobs:
Pen Constructor (MBE - EG) - Creating a pen for sheep containment.
Baby Raising (Any Age/Era) - Raising a baby to capability. 
Baby Tours (Any Age/Era) - Showing a baby around the civilization.
Fire Making (Any Age/Era) - Making a fire if there isn't any around
Obtaining Sheep (MBE - TA) - Raising the preliminary sheep.
Obtaining Cows (MBE - TA) - Raising the preliminary cows.
Crock Cook (MBE - Beyond) - Cooking stew and creating sour kraut.
Hunting Non-Hostile Animals (EA - TA) - Hunting family mouflon and geese for technological advancement, and turkeys for food.
Gear Hunting (EG -Beyond) - Searching for and bringing back lost gear.
Potter (EA - EG) - Creating pottery (Bowls, plates, crocks) for the populous.
Town Crier (TA - Beyond) - Keeping an eye out for what the civ needs and allocating jobs as need be.
Gold Miner (Beyond) - Mining gold veins and bringing the gold to the populous.
Scout (EG - Beyond) - Riding in various directions to get the lay of the land to tell the populous.
Station Setter (EG - Beyond) Setting up fence posts in commonly used grounds. (Rabbits, iron mines, large wild berry patches, etc.)
Oil Driller (NC - EG) - Creating all necessary items needed to/ drill(ing) the oil well
Organizer (TA - Beyond) - Organize messes (Should be able to tell what is a mess and what is not)
Tree Planter (EG - Beyond) - Planting trees for the populous.

(Relaxing Jobs are not necessarily simple, they are just feel-good time using jobs you can try a life out on.)
Relaxing Jobs:
Goose Raising (EG -Beyond) - Raising Geese for food.
Role Playing (Beyond) - Giving people a change of pace by playing a role. (This job can be dangerous if your role doesn't involve work)
Construction (TA - Beyond) - Creating flooring, and buildings.
Seal Hunter (EA - Beyond) - Clubbing seals and skinning them for their hides.
Fishing (MBE - Beyond) - Fishing for food (and boots).
Tire Maker (NC - Beyond) - Mass producing tires for cart longevity (Dango Dabs... anyone?)

Simple Jobs:
Foraging (EA - MBE) - Gathering food from the wild, this can include: Berries, Cactus fruit, Wild Burdock, onion, banana, and carrots.
Egg Collecting (EA- EG (End Game for geese.)) - Collecting eggs from goose ponds.  (This job can be dangerous as a small child due to no food in swamps)
Kindling Collecting (EA - EG) - Gathering branches for kindling. (Depending on state of greens difficulty may vary)
Berry Tending (MBE - Beyond) - Putting dirt on languishing bushes and watering them.
Clay Gathering (EA - EG) - Gathering clay for use in pottery.

Average Jobs:
Stew Farming (MBE - Beyond) - Farming squash, corn, and beans for stew.
Berry Farmer (EA- MBE) - Growing berry bushes.
(Food) Carrot farmer (EA - MBE) - Growing carrots for food.
Rabbit Hunter (EA - Beyond) - Snaring rabbits and waking up the rabbit population after they refresh.
Snake Stabbing (TA - Beyond) - Stabbing snakes.
Undertaker (EA - Beyond) - Clearing corpses out of busy areas.
Bread Baker (TA - Beyond) - Baking bread for the populous.
Rock Gatherer (MBE - Beyond) -  Gathering rocks for use in wells or cisterns.
Basket Weaver (EA - Beyond) - Creating basket for the populous.
Pie Maker (MBE - Beyond) - Creating, and baking pies for the populous.
Wheat Farmer (EG -Beyond) - Farming wheat for the the composters and chefs.
Oil Distiller (NC - Beyond) - Gathering oil and distilling it for kerosene
Milkweed Farmer (TA - Beyond) - Growing milkweed for rope.
Stone Gatherer (NC - Beyond) - Gathering large stones for building things.
Tailor (MBE - Beyond) - Finding the resources and creating clothes for the populous
Road Builder (EG - Beyond) - Building roads to places where faster travel/a clear line to it is needed

Tough Jobs:
Steel Maker (MBE - Beyond) - Creating steel for smithing.
Blacksmith (EA - Beyond) - Creating tools for the populous.
Wood Sorter (TA - Beyond) - Gathering, stacking, and managing wood stuffs. (Only tough because its a tedious job)
Hunting Hostile Animals (MBE - Beyond) - Hunting bears, wolfs, and boars.
Carrot Farmer (TA - Beyond) - Farming carrots for sheep and compost.
Shepherd (TA - Beyond)  - Feeding, shearing, and killing sheep.
Yum Chef (EG - Beyond) - Creating foods like burritos and tacos.
Composter (TA - Beyond) - Creating compost.
Newcommen Machinist (NC - Beyond) - Using newcommen machine to forge endgame machines.
Iron Gatherer (EA - Beyond) - Going out to find iron and iron veins to gather iron from.
Radio Maker (EA - Beyond) - Making all the complicate stuff for radios and telegraphs

Veteran Jobs:
Protector (EA - Beyond) - Dispatching griefers and protecting important commodities. 
Teacher (EG - Beyond) - Teaching new players what, how, and to do things.
Medic (TA - Beyond) - Keeping medical stations running, listening for attacks, and healing the (innocent) hurt and dying,
Griefer Eye (MBE - Beyond) - Determining whether a player is a griefer or not before they attack.
Undoing Grief (EA -Beyond) - Using, undoing, or the waste of resources that cannot be dispatched of in a positive manner.
Air Trader (EG - Beyond) - Using the airplane to trade with other civilizations

List is subject to update when new jobs come around/if I missed any.

Last edited by Matbat (2019-03-23 08:49:27)

#2 2018-08-14 14:43:51

Lotus

Re: List of Jobs

Thank you for this!!!

#3 2018-08-14 14:54:08

TAIOAN

WOW!

I always give my children a lovely Tâigí(Taiwanese) name, súi(beautiful)!

#4 2018-08-14 14:54:40

Lum

Griefer Eye, also known as The Prejudice Master

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#5 2018-08-14 15:16:18

Tea

That's really great, nicely done !

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#6 2018-08-14 17:07:21

pein

how you call who does 17 of this? xD

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2018-08-14 18:17:28

MultiLife

Potter? Is it considered as a job still? It's really important at Eve camps but as the pottery doesn't break, the importance drops quick. Getting clay is good though, I think?
Janitor? It'd probably be pretty close to Undertaker, but people talked about janitors to organize the mess of cities, like animal corpses of free roaming farm animals and such.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#8 2018-08-14 21:53:02

Booklat1

I find that pottery has become a bit more relevant with the last update. Since dough now changes, you have to keep a lot of plates close by when making pies (which are still pretty useful). I've tested this out and it felt good to see the bakers making a quite even spread of bread and pies due to having many plates available

#9 2018-08-14 22:31:14

Joseph Stalin

how long did this take you to make?
covers a lot but too long to follow while in-game

#10 2018-08-15 00:23:52

Matbat

pein wrote:

how you call who does 17 of this? xD

A good player is what they're called,
Also can be known as veteran.

Joseph Stalin wrote:

how long did this take you to make?
covers a lot but too long to follow while in-game

This took about two hours if I recall correctly, I was planning on writing on how to do the jobs but I got tired of writing.
However after seeing how long this came out to be it would have likely doubled it in length.
This list is to learn what jobs are out there pre-game and to help decide what you want to do once you get in.

#11 2018-08-15 05:18:44

pein

yes , pottery is important, you can make 11 buckets or 90 bowls and one bucket and just milk the cow

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2018-08-18 00:30:55

littlemissmesssy
Banned

Good list but u forgot milkweed farmer and
Tailor

If u see someone calling u ugly randomly its me smile and i name all my boys after my ex's hmm

#13 2018-08-18 21:49:49

Roblor

I like to find an open area not to far away from the swamp, make adobe oven, bake a shit-ton of clay plates, get a flat rock, kindling, firebrand and then cook all the omelettes!
Every life.
Eggs are too OP not to use.

Only thing important thing is to do it outside of town to avoid clutter. That also prevents a lot of food bar going to waste on toddlers. I don't mind though, because eggs are an infinite resource as long as there are ponds.

I hate when kids ask "job?". Just stay alive long enough and you'll surely think of someway to make your village more survivable for the future. God like childbirth wasn't already disruptive enough.

Last edited by Roblor (2018-08-18 21:58:12)

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#14 2018-08-18 22:41:24

Monolith_Rans

Gold miner.  This job requiors a pic axe, a cart, and three bowls.  You can fill the bowls with berries before you go out for gold.  Bring food in a back pack.  It helps to have clothes though I’ve done this job naked.  It’s a nice job for when town life gets messy and you need to get away.

Horse hitch setter.  You need a shovel, stakes, round rock, and fence kits.  Travel to the popular rabbit hunting grounds and iron mines and set fences to hitch horses to.

Medic.  This job means keeping a fire going ALWAYS to sterilize knives.  And keeping water boiling for when griefers dirty the pads.

Road crew.  Not just building roads, but also planting a linear berry farm!

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

#15 2019-03-23 14:48:58

pedrito confesiones

i agree milkweed farmer is a really important job

CoNtEnT

Bottom text

#16 2019-03-23 18:36:03

Spoonwood

I find hunting snakes more difficult than hunting boars and wolves.

Also, I know Eves have cooked stew before or their children have (I remember reading the last words of some Eve and she talked about stew).

Furthermore, delaying yum to the end game really doesn't make sense.  Yum should get thought about basically by anyone, as even Eves should consider that stew-type crops get planted early.  Delaying pork tacos comes as one thing, delaying stew and popcorn comes as another.

Lastly, though you might find making tires relaxing yourself, it has significant complexities and I'm not sure you understand it in comparison to everything else.  Rubber has to precede any newcomen atmospheric core which is needed for a pump or an oil rig or a newcomen multipurpose engine.  So, it ends more in the 'tool age' category, since the first rubber cannot come after a newcomen engine.  Rubber also comes as more complex than any basic blacksmithing tool, including a bowsaw.  Only newcomen tech like cars, airplanes, and radios come as more difficult to make (disregarding food).  I mean, assuming you have the tools for rubber, here consists of a list of things someone needs to do:

1. Slash a rubber tree.

2. Put a bucket on the rubber tree to get liquid latex.

3. Wait or do something else while waiting.

4. Put the liquid latex on the ground to get coagulated latex.

5. Wait or do something else while waiting.

6. Use a clay bowl on a hot spring for sulfur.

7. Use that sulfur from the clay bowl on the coagulated latex to get sulfured latex.

8. Use a clay bowl on a palm tree for palm kernels.

9. Cook the bowl of palm kernels in a hot adobe oven to get roasted palm kernels.

10. Crush the bowl of roasted palm kernels with a round stone to get crushed palm kernels.

11. Use a bowl of water on the crushed palm kernels to get soaking palm kernels.

12. Cook the soaking palm kernels in a hot adobe oven to get bowl of separating palm oil.

13. Empty the bowl of separating palm oil into another bowl to get palm oil.

14. Use the bowl of palm oil on the bucket of sulfured latex to get oiled and sulfured latex.

15. Use a skewer to get a bucket of rubber dough.

16. Use your hand on a bucket of rubber dough to get raw rubber tire.

17. (Which you don't always want to do) Cook the raw rubber tire in a hot adobe oven to get a rubber tire.

In comparison, here come the steps to make a bowsaw... the most complex blacksmithing tool, assuming you have the forge and fire and necessary resources, including a smithing hammer.

1. Fire kindling to make charcoal.

2. Bonk out some iron.

3. Make a few crucibles.

4. Cut a curved branch with a sharp stone.

5. Heat the crucibles in a forge for steel.

6. Make a steel file blank, a chisel, and a steel blade blank.

7. Kill a goose (there's more than one way to do this, technically speaking).

8. Use a flint chip on the goose.

9. Cook the skinned goose using a skewer over hot coals.

10. Use the cooked goose on a steel file blank to get an oiled file blank.

11. Put the chisel on the oiled filed blank and hit with the smithing hammer to get a steel file.

12. Use the steel file twice on a steel blade blank.

13. Combine the result of step 12. with a curved branch to get a bowsaw.

Most other blacksmithing tools end up significantly simpler than that.  So, I really consider blacksmithing/basic blacksmithing, excluding any newcomen multipurpose engine technology, as simpler than making rubber.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#17 2019-03-23 19:21:15

Booklat1

Spoonwood wrote:

Furthermore, delaying yum to the end game really doesn't make sense.  Yum should get thought about basically by anyone, as even Eves should consider that stew-type crops get planted early.  Delaying pork tacos comes as one thing, delaying stew and popcorn comes as another.

Not to be pedantic, but even without yum those are the top foods pre-sheep and after tools. If you've got a hoe these are just great.

I think stewing as an eve might be good if either:
1 abundance of branches
2 axe is already made
3 kindling is okayish but you make 3 popcorn and only one stew

you cannot however run out of branches.

Board footer