One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-23 13:32:37

futurebird

Organized Baking vs. Desperate Pies

Assume there is no huge urgent need for pies (so not carrot pies of suffering in an Eve camp) if it's possible do you like to keep things orderly, like lay out the plates in a row of 4, the meats below then crusts then put all the pies together? or do you just zig-zag about putting pies together one at a time.

This isn't about "efficiency" having a happy baker who stays on the job longer matters more than saving a few seconds here, but if you are making rabbit pie I do think being organized saves time on tool switching.

Thing is, people just don't seem to get what I'm doing when I try this. Baking is a case of too many cooks far too often.

If a person is in my way I ask "will you be the main baker? I fetch supplies. What do you need?"

Are you o r g a n i z e d when you do this job? I can admit some of it is just wanting to enforce a little order and symmetry in the chaos, its one of the fun things about the game when it works.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-03-23 15:30:08

DestinyCall

Re: Organized Baking vs. Desperate Pies

I prefer order to chaos.   It is one of the driving forces behind everything I do in this game.

Must ... organize ... plates!

#3 2019-03-23 16:57:42

pein

i am mass scale on everything i do
i learned that making too many pies isn't that good, people become under motivated
but sometimes they just cannot, like no water, no setup yet

i hate small scale buildings
i like kindling efficiency but im fine with making like 8 pies when needed when no other food, generally i see a famine quite early
in other life we edited pen to make bigger, some sheep escaped, then i hunt them down, went with a cart filled with crust in baskets and made pies from it

some people just stack things regardless of others using it or not which is annoying

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-03-23 17:02:03

Spockulon

DestinyCall wrote:

I prefer order to chaos.   It is one of the driving forces behind everything I do in this game.

Must ... organize ... plates!

I recently spent a delightful life stacking plates! For some reason I love to organize. I was teaching my daughters to tidy up the village, until someone did something I guess?? Thus, began a forty-year-long sibling feud that they were constantly putting me in the middle of.

I loved those little brats. Mommy loved you Lily & Renae Ho!

If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean (the village, that is)!

#5 2019-03-23 17:35:01

futurebird

pein wrote:

i hate small scale buildings

I love large sheep pens, but hate large bakeries. People always use it as a nursery/clothing drop/role playing center etc.

The best kind of bakery is near the wheat, has a water bucket, is 4 tiles wide, there are no cooked pies in the building. No reason to come in there looking for food, cooked pies go outside right away.

I found the perfect bakery once and wrote about it here I'll find it...

---
omnem cibum costis

#6 2019-03-23 17:36:39

futurebird

---
omnem cibum costis

#7 2019-03-23 17:53:57

voy178

I agree that it is imperative that the food goes out. It might even be necessary to make a little porch outside the bakery to drop off the food and have a fire where the people can keep their young. Having a fire in the bakery should not be necessary.

#8 2019-03-23 18:10:14

Villas

Totally agree.
Last week I was cooking a lot of different flavors of pies because we were few people in a megacity with a lot of habits, mutton, berries and carrots, and I wanted to give a better yum bonus to girls. I tried to organize everything in the kitchen to get things read, than my two brothers decided to play blackjack inside the kitchen, they messed everything up, stole my bowls of berries to bet berries, I argued with them and asked to get firewood because my daughter was feeding the fire with kiddling, and one of my brothers said “Womans...”, and kept playing blackjack.

In my opinion there should be the baker, someone to get ingredient (carrots, habits, mutton, and berries if there are extra ones) and someone to keep the kitchen organized. As you said, it’s not just about efficiency, but about being happy and having fun while doing something important.

There should be a job assigner, a person who knows the village/town and assign jobs to jobless people.

#9 2019-03-23 18:37:40

voy178

Having designated surveyors never works, unless you roleplay with it and got obedient children who want to help their mommy.

Also, that's how we get the tyrants with crowns riding around dictating everything and doing nothing themselves.

#10 2019-03-23 18:51:53

futurebird

I generally will do a job if ask nicely, I find that people don't ask for help much and don't like to be asked what to do. Part of this makes sense since pausing to type is cumbersome and most people asking what to do have no idea how to do anything. LOL. That isn't totally the case with me, but it's nice when I know that whatever I'm doing is connecting to someone else's work in a positive way.

---
omnem cibum costis

#11 2019-03-24 06:55:01

pein

people just tell  fck you, do it yourself when you try assigning jobs then they try to kill you but surely will curse you if you got any problem with it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2019-03-24 14:56:03

Psykout

voy178 wrote:

I agree that it is imperative that the food goes out. It might even be necessary to make a little porch outside the bakery to drop off the food and have a fire where the people can keep their young. Having a fire in the bakery should not be necessary.

Like the porch idea, will do that next time. I also prefer to have an efficient tidy workspace when doing repeated tasks like baking or smithing. Having a smaller space forces organization and in the event it gets trashed, its only a few things you have to get rid of before back to normal.

In the above example of the bakery, I figured if there was ever two people baking one could stand on the tile above and to the right of the of the oven using that box, and the other directly to the right of the oven using that box. You can cook out of both the front and the back of the oven, so it was plausible but not viable. In retrospect I would do same 4x4 floor room, oven in the top left corner and three boxes completing the top row. Two for pie baskets to be cooked, the other for plates and tools in between fires. You would have three rows to prep the pies and go. Having the bottom open two tiles allowed for extra room in case you were doing a big firing. If I were being fancy I would fence two extra rows of four for said area so no one planted something there stupidly.

Wheat should be just few tiles away if you can get away with it, and that one definitely was, the farm was actually right next to and around that little bakery. The fact more people weren't running through it, with the two sides and bottom open, was crazy. To add the porch I'd add couple wood floors outside the wall that had chests holding the food, so no reason to store it inside the bakery and no reason for people to come in without purpose. Either wall that side off, or perhaps a door.

This is why I imagine food courts as town centers where pretty much all the food is kept an organized. Carts and tracks that run through the town moving things like pies from a small bakery to the food court. No public traffic, personnel only in the production buildings. At the moment either the bakery is an oven in a field nearish the sheep pen or RIGHT next to the forge, or its this gigantic mess of everything because its where everyone congregates.

#13 2019-03-24 15:31:30

breezeknight

i would like to be organized in OHOL
but in most settlements that's so far a fantasy because of chaos

add to that nerfed, despawning & limited tools & ressources, disadvantage of playing vanilla, rooms built too narrow, fast roads next to workplaces, unnerving doors etc etc etc

i don't even mention roleplayers anymore, cause to what end ? people play what they want to play, if they don't want to participate in a functioning settlement, then i usually just suicide
if the players around me are not cooperative, then they should do without me working my ass off in their roleplay tongue

- - -

#14 2019-03-25 19:26:09

w0wma

Villas wrote:

There should be a job assigner, a person who knows the village/town and assign jobs to jobless people.

i would /die bc i like doing what i want to do to help a civilization out.

#15 2019-03-26 11:49:19

Psykout

0PKZ7EN.jpg

This design worked amazingly well. Plenty of room to stage pie production, plenty of boxes to store plates, bowls,buckets rocks and cooked/raw pies. I didn't feel the need to spill out into bordering area, simply could stay inside the bakery. Laying down plates was easy because you can double right click a stack and it will leave a plate and be holding the stack again. Definitely will be my go to no matter what size the town, I could pump out serious amount of pies without breaking a sweat.

#16 2019-03-26 14:58:22

Averest

Not in the picture: the sheep pen right below. It's small but workable. I have to say it was a delightfully pleasant morning. Nice spending it with you guys! I'd love to add a bigger porch for stew and babysitting.

#17 2019-03-26 17:39:47

Psykout

ONi9eOZ.jpg yeah if the berry field on the left wasn't creeping up so much could expand the stew area easily. The Sheep pen was tiny but actually wasn't too bad, getting a basket down was the worst part since every time I clicked on a tile a sheep walked into it, but even that only took few extra seconds.

#18 2019-03-26 18:44:40

futurebird

Love that bakery it's perfect!

---
omnem cibum costis

#19 2019-03-27 10:46:25

Psykout

This was after my first life in this town. Think Diamond was there for this life, might have been the second.
L9ss1lN.jpg

After my third life in the town, I finished the top bakery meant for rabbit and a tailor area attached as well. Easy swapping through the boxes for either the tailor or the main bakery. A door would have been a smarter option but kind of don't mind the one access point to that area. Zero traffic unless needing to be in there. The old bush corner is essentially the doorway to that production facility.
1NvWQv8.jpg

#20 2019-03-27 11:16:06

futurebird

Warms the cockles of my soul.

---
omnem cibum costis

#21 2019-03-27 12:16:54

jinbaili83

Not a big fan of oven/kiln stuck in corner. It's ok for baking pies stored in baskets but for other stuff it constrict movment to much.

#22 2019-03-27 12:49:06

futurebird

I was just in this town and it was so nice. Even had a wall to keep the skeeters out.

---
omnem cibum costis

#23 2019-03-27 14:25:34

Psykout

jinbaili83 wrote:

Not a big fan of oven/kiln stuck in corner. It's ok for baking pies stored in baskets but for other stuff it constrict movment to much.

yeah that would be an easy switch to move it to center tile and move the box to upper left corner. Think that town might be dying out though.

Board footer