One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-21 12:49:01

Villas

Building huge roads after the last update

I`m on an experiment about roads, I`ve never done that because cities died faster than I could play more than three times in there, but Many Eve`s Town is the oldest town I`ve ever seen, lived more than 15 lives there.
g6PXwA8.jpg

Today, I spent two generations (not in a row) building a road (north of Many Eves' Town), first time I helped a non related man since I was five years old untill I die of old age, the second time I spent about thirty years finishing the project and I did it, it`s huge 5 years and a half to cross the road (I think it`s about 500 tiles), and I loved it. I could see a lot of people using the road and being surprised about the length and two towns started to mix families. And would like to see more roads being built, because of some advantages.

Pros:
- It's easier to find the town if someone get lost.
- It's easier for eves and foreigns to find the town.
- Less boredom (when people see a road, they want to see what is in the other side), which causes less griefers.
- An escape of a crowded big town. Some people dont like to play in a crowded town because of a lot of griefers and a lack of jobs, but if they go on a journey on road that leads them to a smaller town or even a camp, they might feel motivated to help that place or repopulate if it's abandoned.
- Less jobless people, when we are at a crowded place, we can see a lot of jobless people, just walking around, making trouble, annoying people, killing and being killed and eating a lot of food withount replacing it. But if jobless people migrate to another town, what is perfect to maintain more helpfull people without being disturbed.
- More drama, dramas about notherns and southerns people are always great and make people more connected with the area.
- Area ban escape, the area ban changed to 200 tiles after the last update, what means that if someone gets area banned in a town, they dont get banned in the neighbor one, but they are still connected. Much crowded towns die because of lack of people, everyone get banned and few people spawn there, but when it happens, people can go to the neighbor town and escape of the no children zone, what can save cities, also it forces people to migrate. I know it works because I made an experiment, I was having no children, so I decided to go north and had seven babies there, no children untill thirty, but seven after migrating, four of them were sudden infant deaths.
- Keep the town alive for much more time and revive it as well, because less people get lost, people can find it easier even if the town is dead and people can escape the no babies area (When everyone get banned and girls stop having babies).

Cons:
- More drama, in that town that a built the road, a woman (from Omega family) and she killed every single northern in northern city, there is also a southern town (Many Eves's Town is in the middle) and someone posted here on forum that made a raid killing as much as he could of middle town people. So nearby towns can cause wars, what means people killing with suporters healing, killing more and lying about the deaths.
- Road is too dangerous. I saw a lot of bodies on the ground near jungles, because people probably got stung in the middle of the way and died (because mosquitoes are letal if you are alone and with clothes) and also people might starve on the way.
- Lost clothes, I found a lot of clothes on the road (probably people who died there), some mothers got clothes near the borders, but not in the middle of the road. If someone transport a child to the another tip, that child will arive with a full set of clothes.

What do you think about that? Are there more pros and cons? Did you see the road I`m talking about?
YVqz8PJ.jpg

Well, I`ll try to do it more times when I have time, try to find a nearby (max 500 tiles away) camp/town and connect it with a road when I born in a bell town.

#2 2019-03-21 13:02:46

Spoonwood

Re: Building huge roads after the last update

This is neat!

There is a more than 5000 tile road on server12 (at least I think it's that big) and still expanding.  There have existed some Twitch streams with people running or riding along parts of it.  Another pro comes as that getting resources can become easier with a good road.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2019-03-21 13:05:55

Averest

Jesus. Roads suck around farms. It's not neat. It's a pain in the ass for your fellow players.

#4 2019-03-21 13:13:19

Whatever

Villas wrote:

5 years and a half to cross the road (I think it`s about 500 tiles)

awesome !
I also spent a lot of time building roads, roads are great. My idea is always, what if the village i am in gets lost / forgotten, all the work i put in it will be lost to. Thats why i want to build  roads as long as possible in order to make it easier for other people to find them.

#5 2019-03-21 13:17:24

Whatever

Villas wrote:

- Road is too dangerous. I saw a lot of bodies on the ground near jungles, because people probably got stung in the middle of the way and died (because mosquitoes are letal if you are alone and with clothes) and also people might starve on the way.

Yes it can be dangerous on a road, maybe planting berry bushes next to it would be nice. This could block animals and give people food. But its a lot of work, and who is gonna water the bushes when they get dry?

#6 2019-03-21 14:20:30

Booklat1

Averest wrote:

Jesus. Roads suck around farms. It's not neat. It's a pain in the ass for your fellow players.

also a waste of flat rocks.

#7 2019-03-21 20:20:58

futurebird

Can one of you zoom mod cheaters post a map of the town of the many Eves?
I'm saying "cheater" tongue and cheek may try the zoom mod someday-- I'd live to see a map of the region though, the Eve's towns, the long road and other towns connected to it...

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#8 2019-03-21 20:25:19

futurebird

futurebird wrote:

I'm saying "cheater" tongue and cheek may try the zoom mod someday-- I'd live to see a map of the region though, the Eve's towns, the long road and other towns connected to it...

Agree! no stone roads near doors or farms. They are great between towns though. I love this project.

---
omnem cibum costis

#9 2019-03-21 23:37:42

Villas

futurebird wrote:

haha yes it`s a kind of cheat I guess.

Topics and videos about that town:
Newest age to oldest age (more or less):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY8RpcJuAiw (Twisted video)
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5631 Toxic being a drug dealer there
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5634 (Me and other eight eves spawning in this town)
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5635 (One of the Eves asking for news about the town)
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5645 (Raids from the southern to the middle town)
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5679 ( I found the town again)

I don't know if I missed any link.

It's very advanced now, the road is much better, a lot of people worked hard there (harder than me), also there are radios in many Eves's town and it was working, I tried to go to northern town to see how it is (with my daughter in my arms), found a full set of clothes for her in the middle of the way, but a snake bit me, my daughter was about six years old and she arrived alive in nothern town, I arrived there as well, but died some seconds after, there were people working there.

Town today:
QYLINM0.jpg

1KAYvIk.jpg

BeIPU8i.jpg

ukVNY3s.jpg

SDjWB1v.jpg

There are two connected towns, south and north and both of them are alive as well. And a funny thing is: the two families that are living there are Alpha and Omega. And one interesting thing is that I could count more than fifteen horses, it's good because people can grab resources faraway.

And it hapenned while I was posting this reply, lol:

lYAdSUu.jpg

She was so excited trying to show me the size of the road, but didn't noticed the mosquitoes, I think it's because of that that we find a lot of clothes on the road, I should put some rocks on  the road nearby jungles.

#10 2019-03-21 23:58:49

Booklat1

walling the road in the jungles seems to be important

#11 2019-03-22 00:23:05

Spoonwood

Booklat1 wrote:

walling the road in the jungles seems to be important

That's one possibility.  There was a fence wall on the road on server12 (have I mentioned that's its probably something like 6000 tiles at this point in time and still growing?) blocking off mosquitoes, but I don't recall seeing it earlier today when I traversed the road, so I think it was part of the road that got deleted.

The other consists of putting items on every tile on the road in the jungle (or area with mosquitoes).  Things like butt logs, firewood, and branches work on server12, though, of course, something like bone needles comes as the best since those come as least likely to get moved.

Danish Clinch.

#12 2019-03-22 01:31:15

futurebird

Those images are so refreshing, it's neat to be able to see the world at last and link up different spots. It looks like someone cut down the tree I planted for Juniper, my daughter, though.

---
omnem cibum costis

#13 2019-03-22 03:21:43

antking:]#

I'm just curious why do we make all roads out of flat stones? wouldn't it better to have like half wood and half flat stone? seeing that wood is easer to produce, and more renewable then going out to find flat stones?

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#14 2019-03-22 03:33:39

Spoonwood

antking:]# wrote:

I'm just curious why do we make all roads out of flat stones? wouldn't it better to have like half wood and half flat stone? seeing that wood is easer to produce, and more renewable then going out to find flat stones?

Only flat stones enable fast movement.

Danish Clinch.

#15 2019-03-22 03:59:33

Tarr
Banned

What do you think is easier? Cutting down 1k trees, converting them all into boards, then dragging them by cart along a trail or picking up 1k naturally spawning road tiles? Basically between being easier to get and making you move fast flat rock roads have been meta road since they were added.

fug it’s Tarr.

#16 2019-03-22 04:26:50

antking:]#

hmm I guess you are wright  it doesn't make sense to make roads out of wood... I was just thinking out loud. but wouldn't be a bad Idea would be out posts next to the main road. since this road is at the point that it needs them, just a small place with food, fuel (if car), and maybe all fire tools.  seeing how big this road will be I know what I'm going to do with my next life!

Last edited by antking:]# (2019-03-22 04:31:06)

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#17 2019-03-22 05:41:31

futurebird

hmm I guess you are wright  it doesn't make sense to make roads out of wood... I was just thinking out loud. but wouldn't be a bad Idea would be out posts next to the main road. since this road is at the point that it needs them, just a small place with food, fuel (if car), and maybe all fire tools.  seeing how big this road will be I know what I'm going to do with my next life!

I saw a lovely berry outpost on my last life. Sadly, the south town is dying out all the iron is hoarded in the north. I ran the pumps and planted some trees in the south then tried to bake pies up north but it was too crazy.

On my way there I saw a berry outpost, really lovely work.

---
omnem cibum costis

#18 2019-03-22 10:02:38

pein

it was a mess, i tried to make a car between all those babies, clothes and shit they dump off for the tiles i cleaned
i could have done it, but they wasted kindling on the newcommens, when the engine well was there, up and running and had kerosene

the other life an old women just stabbed the last alive sheep, denied it, stabbed her on fair duel, got healed, shot me while we talking and even curssed me, those places arent fun and there were several unreparable issues there

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#19 2019-03-22 14:10:38

Sanshuba

It’s really impressive to see that this town is still alive, holly moly!
They have a lot of iron now, both towns. I saw the berry outpost, really nice, with some bowls, some wooden boxes and a fence to put your horse while you eat some berries. Also, I see a woman stopping there and full setting her child with clothes that were in one of the boxes. She waited there until the girl grownup, I was putting soil on a berry bush that I ate.
There is a huge south road too, it’s the same size of the north one, but it’s not completed, leads to the middle of a bad land faraway (1,1k away from the most north town), next time I born there, I’ll try to make an outpost too or may be I can add a sheep pen to the outpost that is already settled, there are a ton of big rocks there, itwill help to make compost and may be one day someone can make pies there, it would be a good pitstop.

Last edited by Sanshuba (2019-03-22 14:15:57)

#20 2019-03-22 14:38:57

yaira

seriously stone road around farm is pain in the ass. I'll much prefer wooden floor there.

only main road should be made of stone,
short branch roads should be wooden.
and plz make cross section with wooden floor!

I wouldn't call it neat, the weirdly twisted stone road where three rooms are right next to each other.
there's just no point for a stone road..
I always slip and get frustrated walking there

to sum up,  minimum stone road inside a village plz..
I believe stone road is for >>road to oil and road to rabbit<<
have you made them before making those aimless long road?

Last edited by yaira (2019-03-22 14:41:26)

#21 2019-03-22 22:14:39

Villas

yaira wrote:

seriously stone road around farm is pain in the ass. I'll much prefer wooden floor there.

only main road should be made of stone,
short branch roads should be wooden.
and plz make cross section with wooden floor!

I wouldn't call it neat, the weirdly twisted stone road where three rooms are right next to each other.
there's just no point for a stone road..
I always slip and get frustrated walking there

to sum up,  minimum stone road inside a village plz..
I believe stone road is for >>road to oil and road to rabbit<<
have you made them before making those aimless long road?

Yes I agree.
That town has a road that goes through a big savana and the main road connects to a oil pump. Also it's not aimless, it connects two bell towns and goes through a lot of bad lands where we found about four iron mines.

Board footer