One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-17 21:32:02

BerrypickerAF

Playing OHOL on triple screens/widescreen

I wonder if anyone can help me here, I've been trying to get OHOL to span across my 3 monitors at a 5760x1080px resolution using the zoom mod.

I am using NVIDIA PhysX to emulate a single widescreen monitor at the aforementioned resolution.
So far I have tried adjusting just about every resolution/screen ini in the settings, and the best result I got was getting the window to span across the screen, however the game is still locked in it's ratio:
aeLbyCc.png

Is what I'm trying to do even possible?
I know the server won't give me more info and I will end up with fog on the far edges depending on FOV, but that's not the point.

And before you ask why - there isn't really a reason other than to see if it's possible.

Last edited by BerrypickerAF (2019-03-17 22:45:40)

#2 2019-03-17 21:51:32

BerrypickerAF

Re: Playing OHOL on triple screens/widescreen

In case I suck at articulating myself in words, here's a crappy mock-up of what I would like to look like:

fVqmUqI.png

Without the black bar/break of course, UI should ideally be centered with the BG texture continuing, but scaled is fine too. If it could also fullscreen it would be ideal, but I'm likely asking too much.

At original zoom level it might not even show fog.

Last edited by BerrypickerAF (2019-03-17 21:54:01)

#3 2019-03-17 23:25:23

BerrypickerAF

Playing without the zoom mod after enabling fullscreen and useLargestWindow leads to some weird stuff.

For one, I seem to be lagging off screen when running for a while:
2NpMvcG.png
When I stop running I stay "off" screen in the black area.

Which lead me to my second discovery: I can interact with items beyond the borders, as you can see here in a screenshot of me hovering over a bone pile off screen:
KUQEhiB.png

From these findings it is clear that I can access the world beyond the displayed ratio, now I just need to be able to get rid of these darn black borders.

#4 2019-03-18 10:52:12

Léonard

Are you available on the discord?
I'm definitely interested in helping you achieve your goal.
I would like to make changes to make widescreen work that way in OHOL, but I don't have one myself so I wouldn't be able to test those.
If perhaps we could talk on discord I could share with you testing binaries and we could work from there.

#5 2019-03-18 16:40:24

BerrypickerAF

Léonard wrote:

Are you available on the discord?
I'm definitely interested in helping you achieve your goal.
I would like to make changes to make widescreen work that way in OHOL, but I don't have one myself so I wouldn't be able to test those.
If perhaps we could talk on discord I could share with you testing binaries and we could work from there.

Yes, I'm on the OHOL discord with the nickname 'Eva'

#6 2019-03-18 21:19:07

BladeWoods

It's definitely possible to achieve what you want by modding the client because the server sends you much more of your surroundings than the default view (for example Awbz's mod)

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-03-18 21:20:30)

#7 2019-03-19 01:13:39

Psykout

There is a difference between modding FOV and changing the aspect ratio. OHOL is native 16:9, and 21:9 is bugged and throws off the cursor as well. Jason is aware but debugging it is hard without havong a ultrawide himself. I change my desktop to 16:9 from 21:9 to play on my monitors because both of them are UHD displays. One day it will get fixed.

#8 2019-03-19 01:28:01

BerrypickerAF

Psykout wrote:

There is a difference between modding FOV and changing the aspect ratio. OHOL is native 16:9, and 21:9 is bugged and throws off the cursor as well. Jason is aware but debugging it is hard without havong a ultrawide himself. I change my desktop to 16:9 from 21:9 to play on my monitors because both of them are UHD displays. One day it will get fixed.

Is there any way I can change the aspect ratio without editing the code? Just because it is bugged doesn't mean it shouldn't be available - plenty of things are bugged in the game and I can still easily mess around with them via the settings folder.

I understand why he can't develop for it at the moment, but why make it so hard for others to adjust just because it's a little wonky?

Last edited by BerrypickerAF (2019-03-19 01:28:47)

#9 2019-03-19 07:43:45

Psykout

No idea on changing the code but I feel like it might be challenging. In traditional sense running ultrawide display resolutions that are supported in a game give you more real estate. They don't stretch the view, you literally just see more. For games like first person shooters, your peripheral vision is hulk status. RTS - you see everything going on plus a chunk of shroud. In OHOL, you'd see unloaded tiles. When the map chunk first loads about 8-10 tiles beyond the normal view cutoff will be loaded. When you are in transit towards an edge, it takes about until three tiles away from the cut to load another chunk. An traditional approach to UW resolutions would mean you would see beyond the displayed tiles. For me personally, it runs completely fine in normal resolution of 3440x1440 in drawn cursor, but the cursor is confined at the top and bottom edges. The cursor position is emulated from a 16:9 rez to a 21:9 rez and sometimes has some false positives and such. Changing my monitor resolution to 2560x1440 runs flawlessly though, and it fills the entire monitor with barely any stretching feeling, so not worried about it for the while. As far as running multi display Xx1080 resolutions, there might not be much success to be had.

Kudos to you for the attempts though! I thought I was the craziest one running a 3440x1440 100hz rez and just playing OHOL more than a lot of things.

Last edited by Psykout (2019-03-19 07:45:03)

#10 2019-03-19 13:07:53

pein

well it makes sense, that it can be loaded, think of it more like max zoom and cropped off screen

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2019-03-19 21:17:39

BerrypickerAF

Psykout wrote:

No idea on changing the code but I feel like it might be challenging. In traditional sense running ultrawide display resolutions that are supported in a game give you more real estate. They don't stretch the view, you literally just see more. For games like first person shooters, your peripheral vision is hulk status. RTS - you see everything going on plus a chunk of shroud. In OHOL, you'd see unloaded tiles. When the map chunk first loads about 8-10 tiles beyond the normal view cutoff will be loaded. When you are in transit towards an edge, it takes about until three tiles away from the cut to load another chunk. An traditional approach to UW resolutions would mean you would see beyond the displayed tiles. For me personally, it runs completely fine in normal resolution of 3440x1440 in drawn cursor, but the cursor is confined at the top and bottom edges. The cursor position is emulated from a 16:9 rez to a 21:9 rez and sometimes has some false positives and such. Changing my monitor resolution to 2560x1440 runs flawlessly though, and it fills the entire monitor with barely any stretching feeling, so not worried about it for the while. As far as running multi display Xx1080 resolutions, there might not be much success to be had.

Kudos to you for the attempts though! I thought I was the craziest one running a 3440x1440 100hz rez and just playing OHOL more than a lot of things.

Right, the whole more screen = advantage thing. I guess it also exists with the zoom mod, so I'm not pushing this issue initially at least.
Oh well, it was worth a shot and the day I spent meddling with it. I learned a lot about how the sprites are configured at least, so my next project might be to do a full sprite overhaul.

And hey, you can always count on there being a crazier person with even more monitors trying to force ridiculous resolutions on obscure games. My reason for the setup is flight sim and occasionally CS:GO (you are absolutely right about the FOV advantage), and you can almost always be assured people who use flight sims are their own kind of crazy big_smile

Last edited by BerrypickerAF (2019-03-19 21:27:43)

#12 2019-03-19 22:06:02

Léonard

BerrypickerAF wrote:

Yes, I'm on the OHOL discord with the nickname 'Eva'

I can't seem to send you anything so send me a message yourself whenever you're on and you want to try it.

Board footer