One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-16 13:12:16

Psykout

Macros for quick communication

So I suck at telling my kids and others what to do, I usually just zoom around and do as much as fast as possible, and don't take the time to type. I am trying to get better at it, I usually play in early game camps or eve, many of the things you need to say are almost always the same. Need Rabbit - Gather firewood - get stones for well etc. I have decided to map my numpad to these statements, I can map up to 17 of them to at once without breaking a sweat.

Curious to what others would recommend are things that are always worth saying to get stuff done and also to teach. Also since I would almost always be using these as an adult, there is quite a few characters that can be fit in, so doesn't always have to sound robotic and cryptic.

#2 2019-03-16 13:54:45

Whatever

Re: Macros for quick communication

I changed my game source so that when i press n it gives my kids a random name.

If someone knows how to compile and wants it to:
in LivingLifePage.cpp:
void LivingLifePage::keyDown( unsigned char inASCII ) {

switch( inASCII ) {

case 'n':
            if (!mSayField.isFocused()) {
                srand(time(NULL));
                int c1 = 65 + (rand() % 25);
                int c2 = 65 + (rand() % 25);
                // send text to server
                char *message = autoSprintf( "SAY 0 0 YOU ARE %c%c#", (char)c1, (char)c2 );
                sendToServerSocket( message );
                delete [] message;
            }
            break;

someone could also add more keys like this that say things

#3 2019-03-16 13:55:44

Spoonwood

How do you go about implementing such macros?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2019-03-16 15:39:18

Anandamide

I hate to be that person but just learn to type properly lol. You type a lot more than just in this game, as a child some of your macros may be too long to say and having that personalized touch helps pull people to your side or make them more invested in the town. When your touch typing is good, you can even type one handed without looking, you'll make errors but its totally doable. I went from being a hunt and peck, to having a fastest speed of 137 wpm on one sample at https://www.keybr.com/, but averaging 90wmp in about 6 months. You can get to 100% touch typing and doing so confidently in anywhere from a week to a month. Its really really worth it. It makes every interaction you make with a computer so much more pleasant. You could use any other website but I like that one because it gathers lots of data and uses it to personalize your tests to really hone in on not just weak keys, but whole weird combinations that really push you.

#5 2019-03-16 16:23:54

Psykout

Spoonwood wrote:

How do you go about implementing such macros?

My keyboard and mouse are fully programmable (Razer) I can set whatever key I want on the keyboard to do anything really. Could hit numpad 1 and it would instantly say "Don't Shear the last sheep" "Leave for seed" etc. Whenever OHOL boots up it switches to those settings, the mouse wheel is set to AWBZ zoom mod currently.

I am not trying to only use sayings, just at times when you are trying to forge up first round of tools and kids are just standing there, hitting one key while doing that would be nice.

#6 2019-03-16 16:39:23

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I hope you're all aware of the "up arrow" feature, to page through things you said recently.

So you can "pre-type" a bunch of stuff, and then just up-arrow through it later, to say it as needed.

You guys changing the code is great.... and at first I thought.... sure, I'll build that into the game... a settings file where you can define your own chat macros  However... I guess I feel like that would cheapen things a bit.  Like, you could type this long deathbed speech and say the same thing at the end of your life, every time.  You become a parrot at that point.  I want you to be a human.  I want you to FEEL what you type....

#7 2019-03-16 16:55:55

pein

im using a program but has nice customizations

like i can name based on gender with two separate lists two separate shortcuts (i found it easier to just use shorts like XG and XB, also it wont really trigger otherwise)
i don't a random and a selection from list thing. quickly realized i just don't mind what my kids name are, like i can re-randomize and memorize, its not that coming up with different names is any better

also as we got '=" i got a macro which makes a series of pictures in time, and that can be used to create gif

i even made one where i sing some lyrics and creates screenshot right after big_smile
well to not make 1000 combos i can deactivate songs and sing one at a time, only made 1 so far and i forgo to use it ingame

once i even used to insult people in a salty game, i had a long list of sarcastic comments, people ran out of breath trying to reply

there are other uses too, needs a bit of creativity

also with the new v5 version the basic version contains the smart complete
i got lucky on a giveaway
if you are medic, or learning in college maybe you can get it cheaper or on your company
https://www.phraseexpander.com/

the autocorrect is my favorite, made me a better person big_smile
PHW8OAc.png

Last edited by pein (2019-09-25 10:39:20)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-03-17 10:09:45

Psykout

jasonrohrer wrote:

I hope you're all aware of the "up arrow" feature, to page through things you said recently.

So you can "pre-type" a bunch of stuff, and then just up-arrow through it later, to say it as needed.

You guys changing the code is great.... and at first I thought.... sure, I'll build that into the game... a settings file where you can define your own chat macros  However... I guess I feel like that would cheapen things a bit.  Like, you could type this long deathbed speech and say the same thing at the end of your life, every time.  You become a parrot at that point.  I want you to be a human.  I want you to FEEL what you type....

Hehe just pictured being a little kid and seeing my mom say a bunch of random out of context things that don't make any sense, and then tell me it's for later. Would be a funny picture.

I would never begin to even think of doing a deathbed speech, I would want to and do put feeling in that, but you are right it would be done by some or many. When I thought of doing it, it was after doing a few eve runs in a row. There were a few moments over those three to four hours that I felt like I had a bunch of kids huddled around me, and I wanted to issue a few quick orders, play Eve coach. But I was also firing up twelve pieces of pottery and trying to get the charcoal afterwards, or making the first axe and shovel with one firing of the kiln because kindling is low and I can not afford to miss a tool. The second I am done and I say plant 3x3 berry patch and  two plots of carrots, boom they all scatter and stuff starts getting done. Granted this was once in awhile, but made me think, what if one keystroke could be a quick command to someone I am running by real quick on the next task. I realize that my original outlay of the idea seemed more to replace normal conversation now that I read it again, which is not my intention.

I guess I think of things like teaching some one smithing, its fast paced and watching someone do it at the speed you should be going is very helpful. They unfortunately can't talk you through each step easily, and have to either walk you through before or afterwards. If pressing a quick key as you are firing three ingots to say "make sure you hit each one once to reset the cooldown" would just make teaching them a little easier. I look at is a tool for specific circumstances to aid productivity and knowledge to my family even when I am feeling too busy. My other options felt like either slow down what I was doing, or be rather silent as I have. The first being worrisome because sometimes the first berries being couple minutes late could mean everyone starving, the second because you are a robot - silently and efficiently doing some major groundwork for a new camp. I thought about finding a middle ground, still haven't written any of them yet to the keys, because even I am unsure of it, just because you have an idea, doesn't mean its a good one.

As far as having a fricken auto correct to stop you saying mean and vulgar things to people... please tell me its a joke, thats soo bad man.

P.S Fourth option - be better about finding better times to get my message out and type on the fly - new keyboard and its fun to mess with macros and lighting effects wink

#9 2019-03-17 10:44:44

pein

Psykout wrote:

As far as having a fricken auto correct to stop you saying mean and vulgar things to people... please tell me its a joke, thats soo bad man.

sorry, but i disagree tongue

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2019-03-17 10:56:22

Whatever

pein wrote:
Psykout wrote:

lol !

#11 2019-03-17 19:18:57

Psykout

pein wrote:
Psykout wrote:

Hahaha just can't even... One of a kind Pein

#12 2019-03-17 21:14:35

pein

on a serious note

i think is kind of dumb to expect from others to accept your opinion, especially if you don't even consider theirs
like religious fanatics: its written in the bible so its true, and the bible is the word of god so its true, its just circle logic

same goes with this game. you are a killer so i kill you. but then you become the killer, isn't that a problem?

same goes for the vulgar language, is it a problem than someone uses vulgar words or that you get offended cause others use vulgar words?
same thing different viewpoint

narcissism is bad? bad for others, not for the narcissist, like the things people can justify, having no shame or guilt is logically positive

i mean you need a point of reference, but for all this things, if you coem from a subjectve viewpoint, then your end result will be subjective
viewing yourself objectively is a positive trait. even if someone is an asshole, and even doesn't want to change a thing about it, but he knows he is an asshole, for me is a positive trait

this world is fucked up, and reverse logic is everywhere. like someone said, if you get cursed in game, you deserve it  cause you made people angry
it's a relative thing, what makes people angry or when they consider themselves angry
even if logic is isn't the only way of thinking, for me is the only thing closest to truth
so if someone makes an effort, then be graceful for it

this autocorrects are a joke, but i smile when it actually triggers, cause it reminds me how pointless is to say anything on that situation

logically people make camps, the town should be the place for the veterans, and noobs should move out and make their own outpost
that will never happen cause noobs are noobs for the sole reason of not knowing that what they do is bad, annoys others
if they would know it and they would want to learn they wouldn't be noobs in the first place

so excuse me if i dare to disagree with your total subjective opinions, might make my life easier to say what you want to hear

be happy if someone tries to accept your dumb preferences, don't be so tense

Last edited by pein (2019-03-18 05:52:22)

#13 2019-03-18 06:08:39

Psykout

On another serious note, one I am sorry took a bit to respond I work a ton on weekends, two I meant that comment in complete humor. I actually was laughing hard. I get what you are saying and agree on every single note you have made, and I have mad respect for the time and thought you have put into the game and forums. I just had a conversation after that post with my roommate about how everyone can and is a PoS in some way, and understanding that is half the battle if your goal is to improve yourself. I would favor an self acknowledged asshole any and every day over an asshat that has no idea they are one. I rarely like my opinions until I have an outside point of view first, hence why I made this whole post before even opening the configuator for macros. I felt a desire to use it, thought about if it was really necessary or if I should change my habits first. What people thought about it, was it pointless or intriguing, would actually weigh into a decision to utilize it or not. Thank you for your input and perspective, look forward to playing with you in game sometime. I know by now we have to had some time already, but thats part of the beauty of the game, I don't for sure know if we have or not, but its not super important to know. Take it easy Pein, and if you think you triggered me... Try harder wink

#14 2019-03-18 06:57:44

Sanshuba

pein wrote:

logically people make camps, the town should be the place for the veterans, and noobs should move out and make their own outpost
that will never happen cause noobs are noobs for the sole reason of not knowing that what they do is bad, annoys others
if they would know it and they would want to learn they wouldn't be noobs in the first place

I totally disagree. For me, it’s not logical. Noobs moving from towns wasting wild resources and dying is not a logical thing for me. Noobs should play near veterans, in a town or in a camp. Today I had a newbie girl, I taught her how to bake because our baker was very and she learnt. If I sent her to the wild, she would waste wild resources to make tools and have children there as well. Being noob means being inexperienced, and a lot of noobs don’t annoy others and do bad things more than experienced ones do.
If a person knows they are doing something bad due to the inexperience and want to learn, that person still is a noob, if someone teaches that person, they’ll be less noob. Knowing you are noob doesn’t make you a non-noob and it’s not reason for sending you out of the town to live by yourself consuming nearby wild resources and having children there. For me, it’s not logical.

The noob will learn how to live in a town, learn how to do bake/cook and that person will learn how to live in a camp, taking seeds, starting a fire and etc. if that noob stays near a veteran, they’ll learn a lot more. Unless they are griefers, but it’s not related to be noob, since a lot of veterans are griefers as well.

#15 2019-03-18 07:13:18

lionon

jasonrohrer wrote:

You become a parrot at that point.

become a parrot. become a parrot. gark!

#16 2019-03-18 09:12:22

Psykout

Sanshuba wrote:

I totally disagree. For me, it’s not logical. Noobs moving from towns wasting wild resources and dying is not a logical thing for me. Noobs should play near veterans, in a town or in a camp. Today I had a newbie girl, I taught her how to bake because our baker was very and she learnt. If I sent her to the wild, she would waste wild resources to make tools and have children there as well. Being noob means being inexperienced, and a lot of noobs don’t annoy others and do bad things more than experienced ones do.
If a person knows they are doing something bad due to the inexperience and want to learn, that person still is a noob, if someone teaches that person, they’ll be less noob. Knowing you are noob doesn’t make you a non-noob and it’s not reason for sending you out of the town to live by yourself consuming nearby wild resources and having children there. For me, it’s not logical.

The noob will learn how to live in a town, learn how to do bake/cook and that person will learn how to live in a camp, taking seeds, starting a fire and etc. if that noob stays near a veteran, they’ll learn a lot more. Unless they are griefers, but it’s not related to be noob, since a lot of veterans are griefers as well.

I totally agree. Even before the using up the natural resources things... They are new the game... none of those outposts are going to make it. That's not an expedition it's an exile. If anything when a town reaches a certain point that they contain decent staples and some higher tech; pie, stew, clothes, newcommen wells, horse carts, they should start gearing up for new camps. Track down and get bunch of horses, send out veteran females as soon as they can ride with a cart full of tools, fully clothed with backpack full of pies. Super charged eve camps, you have a horse cart and one of every tool at your disposal where ever you decide to settle. Most vets could set down quite a camp pretty quickly if they had a good spot and 4-6 mutton pies as back up food before the grow happened. I would say that would be the best shot to naturally beat the boots line, rather than a meta method such as discord. Plus newer players might end up getting to see and build a town up because it would happen over a smaller amount of generations. At the moment either its just starting out, or its got everything already. Rarely do I have the feeling when I am in a pretty small town, that feels like its going to make it and I can start to see how it might be laid out. They either are stalled because no one is starting to build anything, or on the edge of collapsing, just waiting for the first domino. More often I see the same town or civ multiple times. Might take a sec but you see it, its been around awhile.

Buildings take time, and don't exactly serve a purpose. They help with heat, but it can be a little wonky. Amazing for nursery, three pickups per baby is possible (I get picked up ALL the time when I am missing one bar of hunger. I bet some kids hit F when still at 3 bars or even more, wastes food), can store clothes there so they can go on new babies. For everything else, its for organization and feeling. People want to invest their time and energy, give their all, when the picture they are working on is at least a little pretty. The psychological value of having a organized settlemen  is huge, makes some people say "yeah i'll give it a shot there, and I am gonna try hard to do something", getting that going sooner is a nice plus. It could appeal to both markets of those that hate eve camps and /die out and the ones that prefer them and /die out of towns. To one side, you are a new camp, but you can start building floors and walls right away, to the other, you are a new camp that has a much higher chance at surviving, seems like a win win.

Board footer