One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-17 21:37:19

futurebird

What do you loot?

I just had a really fun game where, when out looking for rabbits I found another town where everyone was gone. It was perhaps a 7th gen camp with a nice stack of forged steel, nice milkweed garden. some iron bars and a bunch of tools. I filled up my cart and went back to tell the others where it was, but I was getting old... as I filled the cart I thought "if this is all they get from this town I should get the best stuff, the things we need most!" So, I went for in this order

-new tools, that fit in basktes that i knew we didn't have
-tools like shears that take two iron and go in baskets or bags
-forged steel
-forged iron
-prepared but uncooked stew pot (so much labor in that one)
-wool balls
-new tolls that take up a whole basket slot

What would you get first? What might one get that isn't obvious? What is the most value you can put in a single cart, generally speaking.

I made it back in time and showed my nieces and nephews the village so they started making trips with more carts. I hope this give the linage a boost!

Last edited by futurebird (2019-03-17 21:38:01)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-03-17 21:47:28

Guppy

Re: What do you loot?

Probably clothes, especially backpacks. Cant have enough of them and they stack very nice in a cart ( shoes and pants in the backpack leaves +1 backpack slot open and only takes one slot in the cart)

#3 2019-03-17 22:07:53

Thaulos

What I would get depends on what we are missing back in home town. But I would gravitate towards milkweed-based items such as ropes and buckets.

#4 2019-03-17 22:12:04

BerrypickerAF

Guppy wrote:

Probably clothes, especially backpacks. Cant have enough of them and they stack very nice in a cart ( shoes and pants in the backpack leaves +1 backpack slot open and only takes one slot in the cart)

I'm going to agree with you. Just like with stew a lot of labor goes into backpacks, and even advanced civs needs them especially if early gens wiped out nearby rabbit populations.
So I'd say go backpacks instead of baskets, fill one with furs if there are any and one with snares.

As iron is a limited resource looting it is a must, fill every remaining nook and cranny you can with it - good thinking on the shears as well, as long as they are pristine.
Prioritize unfinished forged tools (axe head, shovel head, etc..) over finished pristine tools - you can't pocket an axe but you can pocket an axe head.

Personally I would also use a space in the cart to put in a full stack of bowls. Clay is limited and every civ can always use more bowls regardless of size.

#5 2019-03-17 22:20:33

Daffex

Backpacks to store everything.
Iron/steel - tools if not much of the previous
Clothes - but only pants, shoes take up lots of room and everyone seems to delay pants
Ropes/Buckets.

In that order.

I prefer to call my children after final fantasy characters.
- Love making sauerkraut! - Hate letting kids die.

I miss surnames. Remember surnames?

#6 2019-03-17 23:25:21

futurebird

I would have gone for clothes but the camp was old enough that those had all decayed. Good point about buckets, ropes even more so since you can fit 3 in a slot. We also brought back the broken carts.

---
omnem cibum costis

#7 2019-03-17 23:29:13

Bob 101

Dunno why people prioritize clothes so much. I get they are useful, But in a dead town they will probably decay anyway.

#8 2019-03-18 00:24:18

breezeknight

in the run just now, where i was about to go for rabbit hunt with a cart i found a backpack, a knife, a loin cloth, three skinned mouflons, which i cut up into mutton & brought back to town, on the next turn found a dead turkey, which i plucked & skinned, brought back feathers & the turkey, on the third turn found 3 plates, the rest was this time just rabbits

#9 2019-03-18 02:47:09

PeaGirl

futurebird wrote:

I just had a really fun game where, when out looking for rabbits I found another town where everyone was gone. It was perhaps a 7th gen camp with a nice stack of forged steel, nice milkweed garden. some iron bars and a bunch of tools. I filled up my cart and went back to tell the others where it was, but I was getting old... as I filled the cart I thought "if this is all they get from this town I should get the best stuff, the things we need most!" So, I went for in this order

-new tools, that fit in basktes that i knew we didn't have
-tools like shears that take two iron and go in baskets or bags
-forged steel
-forged iron
-prepared but uncooked stew pot (so much labor in that one)
-wool balls
-new tolls that take up a whole basket slot

What would you get first? What might one get that isn't obvious? What is the most value you can put in a single cart, generally speaking.

I made it back in time and showed my nieces and nephews the village so they started making trips with more carts. I hope this give the linage a boost!

I think you were that old lady I saw in that village then. You were rubbing all the steel tools but left rows of plates and bowls untouched, which as well are easy to make, but still somewhat tedious to do.
so next in list would be pottery... considering that it is becoming more and more important to have bowls and plates for various things nowadays.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#10 2019-03-18 03:36:45

futurebird

I was a guy in that life so the old lady was probably my niece who I showed the camp to with one other young woman just before I died.

---
omnem cibum costis

#11 2019-03-18 09:44:33

Psykout

If your camp is rather new tools is huge. Like a saw blade would be primo because you could get carts without needing a file, chisel and bow/arrow. If you are further down maybe any newcommen parts or something, I dunno.

#12 2019-03-18 12:40:57

OminousBladeBlank

It's important to loot things that take a lot of work to make and are useful.

Any tools, realistically, if in decent shape.

Carts, obviously

Backpacks and Aprons, NOT STANDARD CLOTHES - ultimately a waste of raid slots

Bellows

Steel

Tongs

Stacks of bowls and plates

STEW POTS ARE GOLD IMO

Ropes and lassos

Good old baskets or packs of pies

In no particular order, I'd say vitals are Steel/tools and raw stewpots with an emphasis on gold related items

It doesn't hurt to take materials for dye as well, that white crystal is worth quite a bit.

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

Board footer