One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-19 12:04:50

Joriom
Website

Life of a Village Guard

Hey guys.
After murderers became more and more prevalent, I've stopped playig random servers for few days. After seeing even more and more threads on forums about killers and responses about "guarding duty" - I've decided to spend few hours doing just that for village. Let me share my experiences with you.

My initial standpoint was: It will be a good way but people will be afraid of me and will try to backstab. Also - nobody will try to help me with the duty passing down informations.

After spending over 10 hours as a guard in many villages - I'm shocked.
First of all - I'm shocked how little people notice me at all. They just run aroud not even noticing fully armed person or asking me why I have bow and arrow in my hand all the time.
The only people who notice me - are trolls. And they try to kill me first. Or steal stuff ourside of my sight.
What shocked me as well - was how hard it is to kill one specific person who expects you to kill him. Trolls glitching all over the screen, bows and knives levitating around me (invisible people), people somehow running almost twice as fast as me, people disappearing in the "crowd" (with same character model). In my last life I just had on server 1 - it took me 20 years to kill a troll who killed 3 people, tried to kill me but missed his arrow and then has stolen 4 carts full of carrots.
How did HE kill 3 people and I could not kill him? Am I just that bad? No. Its WAY EASIER to kill farmer who is focused on picking up carrots or mother feeding children next to fire. Its very hard to kill someone actively looking for pray and danger around. I finaly managed to kill him only because I've shot him from offscreen. He came from north to pick more carrots and steal them - his camera was shifted south. I went on him from east - my camera was shifted east. I've stopped right as I've seen him on the border of my screen - outside of his FOV. Thats also how I died later on. Shot from outside of my FOV by someone - probably even the same person reborn as child (over 15 yeard passed already between me killing him and me dying. I started hunting him as teenager who just barely could pick up a bow and died old).
With current glitchy state of game - PvP is almost impossible if both sides are focused on that aspect of the game. But on the other hand its almost impossible to screw up if your target is simple worker doing his job.

If you want to have guard in your village though, there are few good ideas I managed to work out during those hours of trying not to feel so uselees:
- Only experienced players should become guards. Those who have knowledge in recepies, town needs and all the mechanics. It might sound counterintuitive but let me eplain in further points.
- Guard should always have priority to clothes and backpack - especially wolf hat to mark his role. Clothing will help him eat less - thus put down the bow less.
- Town people should FEED the guard with carrots from time to time - again, reducing the need to drop down the weapon. If they dont feed guard - he should have pie in backpack and only eat outside of town when nobody is around to steal his weapon.
- Guard should always use bow and have spare arrows in backpack. Knives can be hidden in backpack but requite you to get close to enemy which is currently hard with glitchy game. Its almost impossible to kill running target other than by sniping them from outside of their FOV.
- Guards should also take additional jobs that do not require hands:
* Town Crier - while running around patroling, spam the same message (using up arrow in chat window) over and over again so everyone gets it.
* Scout - while patriling borders, try to go a bit further away then others do. You can spot resources and other settlements to tell others (combined with Town Crier). You should always have full clothing and backpack so you're the most suitable for this task (lower calories intake).
* Teacher - question kids. Tell them basic rules. Tell them to feel free to ask you if they need help. Tell them where water is, where food is. Distribute jobs between them because you've seen most of the village and know what needs more attention (combined with Scout).
* Supervisor - if you see someone screw up, TELL THEM. Run after them telling untill they get it. Tell people what needs more attention. Redistribute human resources. Give ideas what to do next. Tell where missing tolls are and where they need to move them. Tell people where buildings or farms whould be and where they should not. Supervise building roads. Be usefull using your knowledge as experienced player while you can't do them yourself (combined with Scout and Pro Player)
- Guard should basically become General Director of the village. If second one is required - split your tasks but still patroll the whole area.

Final conclusion:
As per murder and troll preventionn - guards are almost useless, but they can use their time to spread knowledge and supervise colony. They will be the prime target for trolls though - which makes that a bit more worthwhile.

#2 2018-03-19 12:58:08

Erudaru

Re: Life of a Village Guard

I agree that it's much harder to kill a griever than it is for him/her to kill a farmer.

My cousin massacred half my colony and ran away. When I was grown up, my mom showed me where she hid her bow, arrows and knife. I took them with me to feel safe. 15 years later my cousin returned, and started killing again. I was right there, fully armed and ready.

I right clicked him, but even though he was moving slowly, he was still too quick. Instead of killing him, I ran to the spot I clicked and laid down my weapon. I tried grabbing it again and chasing the evildoer, but losing those 3 seconds was crucial. In all this stress I ended up accidentally starving and disappointing my dead mother, not fulfilling the promise I have her. The killer got away.

Screems, bloody corpses and slower moving assassins are waaaay too little.

#3 2018-03-19 15:10:23

Left4twenty

I had a feeling guards would simply be made first targets of any murderers affecting the town.  O feel your story about tracking down that criminal was a story of how a guard can be successful though, you did manage to stop them and prevent further crime ontheir part, at least in that life.  I think a certain level of familiarity with the games rhythms is also a necessity, to the end of being able to spot when a villager just isn't acting like a cohesive part of the group

Last edited by Left4twenty (2018-03-19 15:10:35)

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#4 2018-03-19 15:40:10

Joriom
Website

Left4twenty wrote:

I had a feeling guards would simply be made first targets of any murderers affecting the town.  O feel your story about tracking down that criminal was a story of how a guard can be successful though, you did manage to stop them and prevent further crime ontheir part, at least in that life.  I think a certain level of familiarity with the games rhythms is also a necessity, to the end of being able to spot when a villager just isn't acting like a cohesive part of the group

When he took cart full of carrots and started going in the direction of second village nearby - I was curious as of why.
When he took second one - that was clear indicator of wrong resource management or trolling.
When he tried to shoot me next time but missed - that was clear indicator.
Him taking next cart and going into woods where nothing is located - would be enough too even if he didn't shoot me before.

Thankfully I was able to learn his patterns and outsmart him at one point. Still - I took half of my lifetime just to hunt one person down.

#5 2018-03-19 16:13:11

Left4twenty

Joriom wrote:
Left4twenty wrote:

Thankfully I was able to learn his patterns and outsmart him at one point. Still - I took half of my lifetime just to hunt one person down.

Yeah, it made tracking one criminal your life's work.  But by using your life's time to do that, you saved your village lost time, and possibly even destruction.  This imbalance on power between guards and criminals is inherent in upholding laws, and we see it in real life too.  The criminals have knowledge of what is where and can observe further to learn patterns as well, and walk into a situation with a plan and knowledge of it.  Guards however have to walk into every situation on their toes, they can't have a fully fleshed plan, because they'll never know exactly what the criminal is planning

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#6 2018-03-19 19:35:39

EmmyGamba

I love that idea! We definitely need more town guards.

Going to try that out a little bit today.

#7 2018-03-20 13:16:06

lordoftherink

I think this is an important first step in the right direction.  Town Guards will help prevent griefers and trolls.  However, their use will multiply if villages start to adopt an important concept: property rights.

One of the big advancements in civilization was a legal and conceptual one, the idea that the land and stuff from the land belonged to someone.  That person then has an incentive to protect it and get the most value from it.  Guards will start out defending the village from obvious threats (trolls, bears) but in the long run they should enforce property rights, which will give rise to trade, inheritance, specialization, etc.  It will also cut down on the running around and make it abundantly clear who is supposed to be where and doing what.  Law enforcement will expand from hunting trolls to punishing those who fail to respect boundaries.  This should cut down on wells getting emptied, carrot farms losing seed rows, etc.

#8 2018-03-20 13:21:34

Joriom
Website

lordoftherink wrote:

I think this is an important first step in the right direction.  Town Guards will help prevent griefers and trolls.  However, their use will multiply if villages start to adopt an important concept: property rights.

I believe you would need to make over half of population Guards to enforce that. Basically - thats how it was done in ancient times. Part of the family was always home, guarding the goods. Workshops were simply additions to households so you could always have them in sights and protect. Later on people gave some kind of benefits to others to GUARD their property. Guards, mercenaries. With current population - I believe we don't have enough hands for that. Also - even with bigger populations later on, it might be hard.

#9 2018-03-20 15:19:17

Left4twenty

Joriom wrote:

[With current population - I believe we don't have enough hands for that. Also - even with bigger populations later on, it might be hard.

Yeah, in my op8nion stationary guards protecting a central cache of the societies resources is what's feasible in early society.  So that a few guards can defend the wealth of everyone, to the end that the wealth is controlled in a way that prevents total collapse after disaster, or misappropriation of resources.  One issue with society in game currently is that all goods are the property of everyone, so everyone can invest accrued wealth however they want, regardless of wether it's in the best interest of the community.  In example your string for clothes can be made into ropes, making them less valuable.

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#10 2018-03-25 09:28:47

Kitaelia

Joriom wrote:

Hey guys.
After murderers became more and more prevalent, I've stopped playig random servers for few days. After seeing even more and more threads on forums about killers and responses about "guarding duty" - I've decided to spend few hours doing just that for village. Let me share my experiences with you.

Oh Joriom, I am very curious to know what server you did this playstyle on that day! Please, feel free to PM me on Discord if you don't wish to share publicly. I have a feeling I might have lived a life or two in one of those villages.. There were 1-2 guards always running around. Every now and then they'd say "No Loitering" or something else that was Guard like. I had a moment where I was getting completely fed up with this young man who kept repeatedly ignoring our (farmers) requests of not eating straight out of the ground, to eat out of the baskets, and DON'T pick top row (let it seed pls). Like clockwork he kept swooping in every 2-5 minutes and seemed to snatch 1 or 2 carrots from SEPARATE rows to fill his backpack and snack on.. So finally I decided to roleplay it and tattle on him to a guard. Was it you, perhaps? I ran up to the patrolling guards and informed them of the blonde wolf hat boy who kept eating our seeding carrots after repeated requests not to. The guard said he'd kill him, and went running (with bow and arrow) towards the farm). I didn't witness the aftermath, so I'm unsure how everything played out.. But I didn't see the wolf hat boy anymore after that.

To be quite honest, when I was first born into the village, I was nervous about the guards because I wasn't sure it if was legit, or a couple kids playing pretend until they got bored and would decide to massacure the village.. But after a few moments of watching the guards patrol on by, I actually started to feel safer with them around!

It is certainly one of my most favorite lives!

Please tell me you still do this from time to time! smile

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

#11 2018-03-25 12:22:14

Jafa84

I want to see longer then 10meters in front of me, I want to see as long my eyes can! (lag will kill all)
so can I ask at least if I stand still, to be able to *focus* to see 10meters more to a direction I pick. plz?

#12 2018-03-25 16:08:58

Aname

Well i got fucked over by a guard.

i was just a child but i needed a cart to make a house with adobe. but i needed to grow up first. but i got bored of waiting so i annoyed a guy. i didnt grief. he said i had to stop so i stopped. but then he wanted to make a bow to kill me ofcourse.

i annoyed him more bcuz he wanted to kill me. then he went to a guard he said to the guard i was griefing stealing things and killing people. so he chased me so i thought okay fair. but then later when he was trying to attack me he dropped 2 of his knives like u dumb bro. so i picked up his knives. and said i wont kill u i want peace.

but nah he wanted me dead he was talking to the whole village that i was a murderer. a whole village was trying to kill me like wtf.

i said i wanted peace. i even helped the farm sometimes but i cant help for long or some asshole with a bow comes after me.

i killed the guard and his friends. ( 3 people) just to protect myself. i tried to save the civ. but then a girl came to me saying that i killed the whole village and that i need to die. i was saying no i just want to help and wanted peace but they needed to kill me.

she didnt believe me so she came with a bow and Arrow and killed me. i respawned as her baby when i was old enough i picked up a bow and a Arrow to kill her and so did the whole city die.

Just because someone wanted me dead and did everything to get me killed. and i only wanted peace and help with the farm.

maybe i just had to be killed so the city would live but those assholes didnt deserve that.

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#13 2018-03-25 17:23:09

masamune0

That's the worst thing about big cities, people just respawn same location and it never ends well. One died of murder and want revenge so he kills again, then another one wants revenge to so he kills too.. in the end the city is rip. Vicious murder cycle

#14 2018-03-25 17:55:42

TrustyWay

Aname. I remember you, you were totally griefing. The guard chasing you was a griefer just like you, he killed people like you when they were chill. You hide all our food. How could you both kill all the village because you cannot kill each others.

Serious retard, don't act like a victim. Why do you keep griefing after reborn ? she was protecting the village. Weren't the guard just your target or just an excuse to mess everyone's jobs because you are socially disabled ?

Please stop lying, you never help the farm. You both kill us because you were to weak to fight each others.

I started griefing after your work but I couldn't kill everyone, you must really be insecure to do that.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-03-25 18:01:12)

#15 2018-03-25 18:15:17

Joriom
Website

I love how griefers now try to undermine the guard duty and turn people against them on forums. This is even kind of realistic. Rofl.

What I don't like and don't get is stupidity and how some people lack cause and effect thinking.

Aname wrote:

[...]
but i got bored of waiting so i annoyed a guy
[...]
i annoyed him more bcuz he wanted to kill me
[...]
Just because someone wanted me dead and did everything to get me killed. and i only wanted peace and help with the farm

What else do you expect than getting stabbed when you annoy others on purpose? Huh?

#16 2018-03-25 18:39:52

Goliath

knife takes literally forever to craft as a single player, almost the entire epoch.

Teamwork makes the Dreamwork.

#17 2018-03-25 21:54:52

Aiven

lordoftherink wrote:

One of the big advancements in civilization was a legal and conceptual one, the idea that the land and stuff from the land belonged to someone.  That person then has an incentive to protect it and get the most value from it.  Guards will start out defending the village from obvious threats (trolls, bears) but in the long run they should enforce property rights, which will give rise to trade, inheritance, specialization, etc.  It will also cut down on the running around and make it abundantly clear who is supposed to be where and doing what.  Law enforcement will expand from hunting trolls to punishing those who fail to respect boundaries.  This should cut down on wells getting emptied, carrot farms losing seed rows, etc.

And how exactly will these problems be solved with property rights? Sounds more dogmatic than logical. Arguably property rights is destroying the planet.

#18 2018-03-25 21:57:10

Aname

Joriom wrote:

I love how griefers now try to undermine the guard duty and turn people against them on forums. This is even kind of realistic. Rofl.

What I don't like and don't get is stupidity and how some people lack cause and effect thinking.

Aname wrote:

[...]
[...]
[...]
Just because someone wanted me dead and did everything to get me killed. and i only wanted peace and help with the farm

What else do you expect than getting stabbed when you annoy others on purpose? Huh?

but i didnt kill anyone tho. i wanted peace but they wanted me dead like wtf. i said many times that they just have to leave me alone and go help the farm. but they wouldnt listen and they where just trying to kill me. just because i annoyed some guy. i didnt even made ovens everywhere i didnt try to kill people on purpose.

And i just annoyed him for a little bit of time. i get that they wanted to kill me but they where obsessed to kill me they didnt help farm they just where chasing me the whole time. i mean u really putting so much effort to just kill a guy that just wants to help.

I know why they wanted to stabb me but come on if someone is saying that he wont kill you just have to give him a chance bcuz i got 2 knives and i didnt attack the guard. but no he just tried to make a bow and Arrow to kill me. like calm the fuck down im not a griefer. bcuz if im a griefer im not yelling that i want peace if i got 2 knives in my backpack. then i just kill the whole village bcuz they couldnt protect themselfs. but i didnt do that i just wanted to help the city.

and yes maybe i was wrong and i didnt need to annoy that 1 guy but come the fuck on youre not gonna try and kill a guy who already has 2 knives and is yelling for peace. just because i annoyed someone for 1 minute.

Last edited by Aname (2018-03-25 22:14:15)

#19 2018-03-25 22:05:05

Aname

TrustyWay wrote:

Aname. I remember you, you were totally griefing. The guard chasing you was a griefer just like you, he killed people like you when they were chill. You hide all our food. How could you both kill all the village because you cannot kill each others.

Serious retard, don't act like a victim. Why do you keep griefing after reborn ? she was protecting the village. Weren't the guard just your target or just an excuse to mess everyone's jobs because you are socially disabled ?

Please stop lying, you never help the farm. You both kill us because you were to weak to fight each others.

I started griefing after your work but I couldn't kill everyone, you must really be insecure to do that.

i killed the guard tho but i didnt killed innocent villagers. and yes i stole food to survive and to not get killed bcuz i couldnt eat at the farm. and if i did kill innocent villagers then it wasnt prob me but sorry then i think.

and it didnt matter to much if i killed her when i was reborn bcuz she was too old to get kids. so the city was dead anyways.

#20 2018-03-25 22:37:40

Avalikia

I like the direction of this thread.  And I thought that I would add this to discussion.

Back in the middle ages, there was something called a hue and cry - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hue_and_cry

The jist of it is that if someone, whether they were officially a constable or a private citizen, witnessed a crime they would say so to all bystanders and all able-bodied people able to do so were required by law to assist in apprehending the criminal at that point.  This made it possible for law and order to be enforced even in a small medieval village that was too poor to support anything resembling a modern police force - the entire village was the police force when they needed to be.

Of course, in the context of this game, at least as it currently stands, the only way to stop someone is to kill them.  Which means that if you wanted to make a hue and cry possible in a village then everyone would need to be armed or have easy access to weapons.  Which I don't think is a crazy idea - the vast majority of players are not griefers and would only kill another player in defense.

#21 2018-03-25 22:50:00

Kitaelia

Joriom wrote:

Aname wrote:

[...]
[...]
[...]

Took the words right outta my keyboard.. lol Like seriously, it's called "Karma". Hopefully someday he learns his lesson..

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

#22 2018-03-25 22:59:16

Helperguy

Aname wrote:
TrustyWay wrote:

i killed the guard tho but i didnt killed innocent villagers. and yes i stole food to survive and to not get killed bcuz i couldnt eat at the farm. and if i did kill innocent villagers then it wasnt prob me but sorry then i think.

and it didnt matter to much if i killed her when i was reborn bcuz she was too old to get kids. so the city was dead anyways.

And what do we learn from this story?
Village Guards are useless.
The same thing that I said before:
-Killing killers is senseless, because they will be reborn anyway
-Killing killers is senseless, because you waste your time and cannot work useful things
-Killing killers is senseless, because you waste food and bows
-Killing killers is senseless, because you will be killed anyway. If not now, then from the killers rebirth.

#23 2018-03-25 23:01:36

TrustyWay

Helperguy wrote:
Aname wrote:
TrustyWay wrote:

-Killing killers is senseless, because you waste your time and cannot work useful things
-Killing killers is senseless, because you will be killed anyway. If not now, then from the killers rebirth.

So killers win ?

#24 2018-03-25 23:05:17

Helperguy

TrustyWay wrote:
Helperguy wrote:
Aname wrote:

So killers win ?

No, killers never win, because:
The Games goal is not to kill people, but to expand your community and have many childs.
Killers dont know how to play, thats it. They will loose together with us.
No one wins, because "winning" is not the goal of this game wink thats what i like about it.

EDIT:
I now play on the EU Server, because no city will ever survive on the official servers, because of this griefing noob "bug".

Last edited by Helperguy (2018-03-25 23:18:57)

#25 2018-03-25 23:20:57

Aname

Helperguy wrote:
Aname wrote:
TrustyWay wrote:

Guards arent useless they can be very handy to slow the griefer down so he cant raid a village as easy. and sometimes guards are Lucky and kill the griefer fast. its just that the griefer is most of the time running and killing people who are standing still tho.

and the killer isnt Always born in the same village.but its just that the griefer has the element of suprise. but guards can be very handy he can be a sort of leader and protecting.

the only problem is that i see guards killing new people just because those people arent good at the game yet. isnt that a bit unfair. why wont the guard just help him bcuz guard isnt really doing anything then just looking if everything is fine. and sometimes they dont give warnings and just kill someone.

and i killed many griefers with succes its just a slow process to find solutions to defend youre city. like hiding the arrows in ur backpack. never leave arrows in the open. never leave knife in the open. Always carry every weapon in ur backpack. try to hide bows if there are too many bows.

and give warning to people dont kill them straight away just because he is exploring the game. and most of the time griefers are by some berry bushes out of the city.

Last edited by Aname (2018-03-25 23:22:59)

Board footer