One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-13 15:33:42

futurebird

The dangers of trying to build too early

Nice little 5th generation Eve camp. I was Star May, a hardworking quiet type. We didn't have sheep when I was born and still didn't have them when I died. I should have taken charge of that. Instead I got soil since the farms were failing and the soil was very far away. I just assumed someone else was getting sheep because I saw a guy with a bow, a milkweed farm (for rope?) and we even had a cart. But it wasn't used for soil, instead someone brought loads of adobe to build I guess. All the wrong choices.

I should have finished the pen.
I should have just gone off to get the sheep myself.

I buried my cousin in the unmarked grave on the right. Oh the lessons I have learned.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=3774038

rBHApeo.jpg

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-03-13 23:44:20

Psykout

Re: The dangers of trying to build too early

I usually immediately start making a pen when I start into a new town. I will go dig up and break up the rocks as a 3-5yr old and ask an adult to haul them to where the pen is going to be and then cut them into bell bases, unless the area calls for an adobe pen that you can do solo. Having an older adult moving the stone while youngster cuts them and places the stakes can speed things along. The village won't last long unless sheep is secured for compost, only downside is when nobody else is making food or managing the bushes while you are doing said project. I was in a town last night that I swear was the worst I have ever seen. Two bear caves within 8 tiles of the berry farm, a fast road going right between the forge and adjacent to the berry bushes. This was also like a 20 tile fast road for no reason at all, Multiple people started working on it when there was no carrots being managed for seed and only 9 berry bushes. It was like watching an eve camp put a gun to their head, not slowly starve out.

#3 2019-03-14 00:31:02

futurebird

Yeah, this town didn't starve at all. I saw to that. Lot of berries, soup, a few pies. Nah the people just... died for no observable reason.

---
omnem cibum costis

#4 2019-03-14 02:05:34

Jk Howling

One thing I've learned over time of playing this:

Never assume someone else is doing something without asking them to. Chances are they aren't.

Happens with quite a lot of things: Compost, sheep pen, carrots for sheep food, gathering iron, smithing tools...

Last edited by Jk Howling (2019-03-14 02:06:51)

-Has ascended to better games-

#5 2019-03-14 13:57:06

DestinyCall

Well, part of the problem is that even if you ARE doing compost right now, that doesn't mean you plan to keep doing it for the rest of your life.   

I tend to jump from task to task, putting out fires and dealing with the most immediate concern rather than working on fixing the problems that haven't lit on fire yet.  I'll frequently notice that we are low on this or that, but I'm already working on three different shortages, so I don't have time to go hunt for carrot seeds or plant more milkweed or gather iron to make a new shovel until I finish what I'm doing right now.  And by that time, I'm probably fixing the sheep pen that just got griefed or baking the pies that were sitting on the bakery floor, half-made.

I'll farm for a while, bake for a while, smith for a while, make carts for a while, gather iron for a while, hunt wolves for while ... whatever needs doing and I know how to do it and I'm willing to do it.   The list is usually quite extensive and never ending.   If possible, it helps to delegate some tasks to your children and if you ignore vital tasks long enough, someone else might notice the problem and fix it for you.   Or not.

If you really want something done, the safest approach is always to be the one that does that job.   If it is an important job and you do it well, others will benefit, whether they actually appreciate it or not.   But the problem with settling into one job is that you must rely on the rest of the village to do everything else that needs to be done.   And if you do your job well, you can eventually reach a point where your village doesn't need a composter as much as they need a baker or a shepherd.   Then you have to decide if it is worth switching jobs to fix the new shortage or stick to your task so that future generations will not run out of soil prematurely.

#6 2019-03-14 16:31:10

futurebird

That makes sense, Destiny. I also move between jobs. But, what if you aren't really skilled at a task. At the time I was playing I had never built a pen and only gotten sheep once (and almost starved holding that rope) -- So, part of what made me not want to take charge of the task was I thought other people could probably do it better. In this case me trying would have been better than nothing.

I have since learned to build a pen, not an expert at it, but I've done it twice and it worked. Really wish there were more guides or help on how pens work. For example, can you use a goose pond to block off a corner exit diagonal to a gooseberry bush? I didn't know so I block the corner completely to be safe.

It seems like in many towns I've been in the sheep always mysteriously get out of the pen. Is it griefers or bad pen design?

---
omnem cibum costis

#7 2019-03-14 16:44:00

CrazyEddie

Sometimes stone block pens get broken by accident. If you're holding a shovel (for moving poop) and misclick on one of the stones you'll dig it up and allow the sheep to escape. People who break it probably don't even notice what they've done, or even if they do they don't understand that the dug-up block is now a hole in the pen. And even if they do they probably don't know how to fix it, so it goes unfixed until someone with a clue notices the problem.

#8 2019-03-14 16:49:59

CrazyEddie

futurebird wrote:

For example, can you use a goose pond to block off a corner exit diagonal to a gooseberry bush? I didn't know so I block the corner completely to be safe.

If you're making a standard corner-exit pen, then the middle of the corner needs to be occupied by an item that is difficult to move but doesn't block movement, and the outside corner needs to be occupied by an item or feature that blocks movement.

Ponds block movement (even if they get dried up!) so will work fine anywhere that you would have otherwise used a stone block (technically a half bell tower base) or an adobe oven base. Gooseberry bushes are a good choice for the middle of the corner because they're hard to remove, but you could literally put any non-blocking item there and it would work... until someone picked it up and moved it.

#9 2019-03-14 20:13:32

Spoonwood

Ignoring soil, the clothing supply probably could have been better, medical treatment might have gotten started earlier, and a saddle or two can help.  So, I think a sheep pen by then could have come as worth it for those reasons.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-03-14 20:14:44)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#10 2019-03-15 01:02:31

pein

i had pen guides, read all of them, even oldest one has some interesting info and pictures

i generally do the smiting up to hammer, axe shovel
then let others do it

not well known fact that reed can be digged, so i often do that, rather than losing it

if no pen, i jump to make one, i got so much experience that i can do it effectively and fast, sometimes there are issues in communication, like multiple people making one, or getting sheep, but generally you jump to make it and its good choice
i think, the earlier the better, some camps got tools and the baby boom brings 3-4 pros, you can see who they are and working together brings a lot of benefits, but also more confusion so better start it at least
i seen people waiting for smiths, pen makers and gathered stuff for it, thats quite smart and i grinded hard to help them

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2019-03-15 01:40:34

futurebird

What do you mean digging reed?

---
omnem cibum costis

#12 2019-03-15 01:47:45

DestinyCall

Tule reeds.   After they are cut down to make a basket or whatever, you can go back with a shovel and dig up the base for a free glob of adobe.   

If no one does this, the reed base will decay and simply vanish after an hour.  So this is a "use it or lose it" situation, like when you leave straw or cut reeds on the ground.   But since it takes a really long time, many people don't notice that the reed stumps decay.  Same thing with tree stumps, once you remove all the wood/log.  Except tree stumps are only good for kindling, while adobe/clay is a fairly limited building resource.   And highly useful for making early sheep pens if there are a lot of stumps in the swamp.

#13 2019-03-15 03:34:30

futurebird

Ah, good to know.

---
omnem cibum costis

Board footer