One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-14 02:23:27

BladeWoods

I hate stone walls

Does anyone else hate them?

I feel like murdering anyone I see making stone buildings, I don't, but I feel like I should.
Stone buildings destroy towns. If you must make a building, use adobe.

#2 2019-03-14 02:32:41

futurebird

Re: I hate stone walls

Why do you dislike them? I don't know enough about the difference to know what the issues might be. Is it that they can't be moved?

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#3 2019-03-14 02:44:28

yaira

im also advocate of adobe wall and door wall
movable. no lockgrief.

Last edited by yaira (2019-03-14 02:45:37)

#4 2019-03-14 02:50:04

Tarr
Banned

futurebird wrote:

Why do you dislike them? I don't know enough about the difference to know what the issues might be. Is it that they can't be moved?

Stone walls are VERY costly to remove and after a ten hour period become completely unremovable. If someone builds a terrible stone building it's going to exist the whole time a town exists thus if a goof ball builds with stone you're just stuck with whatever they've made.

I personally only build out of stone because if I'm building something I'd rather have a quick building put up properly and not have to worry about my grandchildren failing to ever plaster the darn thing. Basically bad stone buildings are just a waste of space and limit what you can do and aren't going to ever get fixed in the towns lifespan because removing one stone wall cost a full pickaxe.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2019-03-14 03:02:41

futurebird

Am I bad for sort of not liking buildings? I like sheds basically 3 walls, no door. I find walking in and out of doors a big chore. Easier to get everyone better clothing IMO.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#6 2019-03-14 03:12:22

Booklat1

buildings arent really great yet

#7 2019-03-14 03:14:32

Tarr
Banned

futurebird wrote:

Am I bad for sort of not liking buildings? I like sheds basically 3 walls, no door. I find walking in and out of doors a big chore. Easier to get everyone better clothing IMO.

Nope, not at all. Buildings are currently not worth actually building due to how little the fire will actually effect the room. You only build them for aesthetics or as a designated zone for something e.g. nursery, bakery, etc.

You are much better just giving people proper clothing than you are spending your life making a building.

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2019-03-14 03:51:22

Lily

The only building anyone needs is a pen. A pen which can be an actual fenced in area, or a room, or just an area trapped by random things. It actually is kind of faster to build a building to create a pen than it is to build a fence.

#9 2019-03-14 04:00:40

BladeWoods

futurebird wrote:

Stone walls are terrible because they're incredibly expensive to remove, each wall consumes an entire iron pickaxe. So one small stone building would take a dozen pickaxes to remove. Plus after removing a wall someone can just build another with the rubble... Plus they turn into awful death trap ancient walls after 10 hours. 10 hours would be enough time to remove them if it wasn't impossibly expensive to remove them.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-03-14 15:31:29)

#10 2019-03-14 07:17:26

pein

the first building is the pen
i was  brainstorming and came up with a design, got into a game, gen 2-3, dug up all the reeds which would have gotten lost
made a pen(adobe half walls) and when i wanted to proceed to make a room under it, people started dropping the adobe to upgrade it
like every time, they prefer fully made tiles instead of functional half tiles, i man same thing with oven bases, sometimes they make ovens accidentally
even kilns which is more loss
pen first means fast soil, fast ropes, fast mutton pies

also really hate when people just make a small building
aroudn something like an oven, that a kid placed in eves generation totally random
and they start buildign around it disregarding blocking tiles and other structures like kilns
i mean kiln is more expensive, also needs place around it, oven can and need to be moved anyway
somewhere on a floor
and  if you floor something, people go there
like i had 2 experiments with floored pens, the hardened row pen experiment, people came and put their shit all over the floors

stone is even worse cause is permanent, and they did so many tiny buildings on wrong spots, now we don't have temperature at least, until you out of hot, you are fine

also hate bottom side walls, cant see trough

also the whole building mechanics, like sims could show them as half walls, and stronghold made a flattened version of walls, and most games can rotate

also the fact that they don't gather, dot scout around and just start a stone building
and when they do it gen 3 and break 3 chisels before you complete a file

im ok with buildings at the right level of civ, but make it at least 5x5 or bigger, square, that's very important, i don't know what is this elongated 8x5 or 3x6 things, i mean must make sense without zoom mod, but with zoom any design smaller than 7x7 is ust bad, even my cow pen is 5x5 and has cistern and boxes near it, and thats quite simple

also don't get why people think they spare time with building stuff on top of another

like one life i made 2 new kilns further from babies, transferred everything and in 10 min we had all tools, i didn't even smith, a kid jumped to smithing, so i just brought kindling and branches, everything he needed

im even fine with gatherign just ask it what you want to do and where

so many cities ruined by misplaced buildings, pens far from farms and kitchen, etc.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer