One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-08 05:36:17

futurebird

Locks are terrible.

Can anyone tell about a time something good came of a lock. I played 4 games today and in two there was a locked stone room. One was ancient and couldn't be opened. My mom was in there and she died, it took like 20 min since she had some food.

The other, we got open by breaking the wall.

bqDOPdz.jpg

Locks are just for greifing.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-03-08 05:57:14

Aurora Aurora

Re: Locks are terrible.

Yeah they suck ass. I spawned as an eve in a huge town but there was only one problem. Every single thing was in a building with a lock. The bakery, the food stash, farming equipment, buckets, the forge, EVERYTHING.

Needless to say we died out pretty quickly

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#3 2019-03-08 06:14:51

pein

i would lock up my car i worked for 90 min or so

or if i plan a marathon and some shit for next life but locks on buildings are bad idea
you can put more doors on buildings, you can put all doors, they are portable walls

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-03-08 06:52:22

futurebird

pein wrote:

or if i plan a marathon and some shit for next life but locks on buildings are bad idea
you can put more doors on buildings, you can put all doors, they are portable walls

how do you mean portable walls?

---
omnem cibum costis

#5 2019-03-08 07:09:01

pein

futurebird wrote:
pein wrote:

how do you mean portable walls?

a closed door acts as a wall
can you move a wall? no
can u move a door? yes
can you lock one door? yes
can you lock 2 doors? maybe
i even was on a camp where no one seen who closed 3 doors under like 2 min

can you lock 16 doors? no way

make a room out of doors people

vertical dors look like a plank wall

i don't think people open all "wall doors" as they can path trough if they got one open
you can direct them to middle by having something outside of it what they can interact with, like  a bell base? even if its used people try to click on it, but even a box with baskets or pies is good to psychologically influence them which of the many doors they will open

looks weird i guess but works
looks like a line if its vertical so maybe just put a single wall and the rest just doors, they can extend the room later
cost bit more but is portable

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2019-03-08 07:43:59

BladeWoods

I have NEVER seen locks used in a positive way. Also I hate stone walls. You should never make any building out of stone walls. Please.

I get the idea of locks, but they don't work in this game. They'd be a bit better if they didn't auto-lock everytime you closed the door/chest, and if the installation process was harder, not just slapping them onto normal doors and chests.

#7 2019-03-08 11:55:09

Randomname

They do have one very good use, they prevent people from changing signs.

#8 2019-03-08 13:15:11

futurebird

BladeWoods wrote:

I have NEVER seen locks used in a positive way. Also I hate stone walls. You should never make any building out of stone walls. Please.

I get the idea of locks, but they don't work in this game. They'd be a bit better if they didn't auto-lock everytime you closed the door/chest, and if the installation process was harder, not just slapping them onto normal doors and chests.

The fact that they autolock baffles me. A person without a key should not be able to use the lock.

It shouldn't be harder to remove a berry bush than it is to lock a door. 

Getting locked in without a key should not be a thing.

---
omnem cibum costis

#9 2019-03-08 14:06:28

Spoonwood

Ask the people on server4.  If you can get them to talk, which might not be likely.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#10 2019-03-08 14:29:45

mric

In 20 min no one broke the lock or the wall?

#11 2019-03-08 14:40:38

Tarr
Banned

pein wrote:

We normally just build an outpost near a town for our cars/planes. Locking them in the city without ancient walls just leads to someone busting a wall and you lose the car/plane anyways.

fug it’s Tarr.

#12 2019-03-08 15:42:39

mric

Oh! Ancient walls cannot be broken, i missed that.

#13 2019-03-08 23:18:03

antking:]#

I wouldn't get rid of locks if I had the chance but I would change how they work, so in my home the front door has to unlocked with a key (duh) but once in side all I have to do is turn the small thing on the other side of the door to re lock it...

so that's what I would make one side need a key to enter but on the other side you can open the door regularly without the key.

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#14 2019-03-09 01:09:29

WomanWizard

Once I was in a town that had a hospital and a backup clinic. The hospital was open and the clinic was locked, with a trustworthy person holding the key in case the hospital was griefed. Who knows how long that system lasted though.

Until we have a way to force griefers into a prison, the locks are never going to serve any kind of intended "prison" function. You can try to threaten them at knife point, but I'm sure your average griefer would rather be stabbed than put in prison, so that doesn't do much good. In the meantime, the only people who will end up rotting in prison probably don't deserve to be there. Locks right now are most definitely for griefers.

#15 2019-03-09 02:30:20

UnnoticedShadow

A key for a hospital?!?  What if someone needs to get in, and the person with the key is gone, or worse, stabbed?!? 

Honestly though, cars and planes are so rare having locks on them would actually be useful.

#16 2019-03-09 02:46:51

WomanWizard

No, the hospital didn't even have all of it's walls, so was therefore completely open to the public. Only the clinic was locked, as backup in case someone griefed the hospital.

Board footer