One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-03-07 16:33:19

DestinyCall

Re: Are We Having A Player Decline?

It is difficult to feel any real connection to a region unless there is some kind of landmark to help distinguish it from other similar-looking areas in the game.   I like coming back to the same village or town and seeing how it has grown or changed since the last time I was there.   It was pretty fun when you could occasionally get born back into a large multi-lineage village or work together to make interconnected communities with two or more villages close enough together to be connected by roads.   Or when you could run across the map to join a bell town and know that your lineage would add strength and longevity to the city.   

Now, it doesn't matter if you have one family in a village or ten families in the village, all children born in the town will be reborn in a new region when they die.  This means that having two villages close together or two lineages in the same village is bad for both lines.  Instead of creating redundancy, the two families are competing for a limited supply of babies and if a player doesn't like what they see when they are born to either spot, they might /die and get banned from both lineages.    I don't know how large the affected region is, but it sounds like it is big enough to doom outpost settlements and also negatively impacts multi-family settlements or large cities.    It might get to the point where you have to send your last fertile woman out in a horse cart, car, or airplane and hope that she births a child out beyond the area ban.

#27 2019-03-07 17:03:28

CrazyEddie

The region ban has the exact same effect on outposts near towns that the lineage ban had, if you assume that everyone in the main town and the outpost are from the same lineage (which is the common case, or was, until people started twinning and migrating).

The region ban only changes things for the case where an Eve spawns near an established town. But that's not common. Yes, it happens, but it's not common.

And when it does happen, the effect is small. The pool of children available to the Eve camp is nearly as large as it would have been without the area ban; it includes everyone on the server except those that were recently in the Eve camp or in the nearby established town. But that's only a small proportion of the players on the server. There are numerous towns on the server, and most players will not be under an area ban from the nearby town because their recent lives will have been in the other towns.

Sterilizing the nearby town will do very little to increase the fertility rate in your Eve camp.

#28 2019-03-07 17:47:57

Spoonwood

The announcement of the temperature overhaul happened on February 17th: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5304 with, as I recall, it being released on the 15th (or was it the 14th of February?).  There existed a precipitous drop on the 21st.  So the overhaul did NOT make the game more played, and on the contrary it seems to have made the game less played (of course... there could exist other factors at play which make such a hypothesis as that the temperature overhaul caused a player decline untrue).

Also, for those who insist that it's the area ban mechanic, I'm not denying that as possible, but there has existed more discussion about yum (and another thread about fertility in general lately).  So, more players could be playing a little smarter with respect to yum and temperature in terms of their fertility making players with old habits with respect to yum no longer getting a high spot in the fertility line.  But what is actually happening, I don't think knowable without actual numbers.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-03-07 18:06:11)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#29 2019-03-07 19:29:55

Dave_roy43

Not really the place but can't seem to find a place so

i am playing on server 3 i currently have 3 eve straight looking for help i just got my sheep i have full tool set

#30 2019-03-08 09:44:51

pein

i feel there are too many families and really big fluctuations

area banning makes it somehow worse

safekeeping lineage is just a mess
and newbees adapt to it by spoiling girls, even if they are dumb af
and abandoning/killing males
but i don't see much of thinking

like people just randomly overpopulate, die, spawn 10 girl for 30 min then all of them die, get banned out, family has no members
or too much, or nothing

babysitting adults is not fun

maybe we should capture breeding machines, even that is less work than running after dumb girls to have some future

and i think maps arent really get used
people die out in good places, and then its lost, and then we waste more  time to make more camps and they get lost too

i get that we shouldn't revive big cities over and over but i seen so many medium camps wasted nowadays
i would love to spawn to nay of them and wouldn't be that op i guess

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#31 2019-03-08 10:12:11

Peremptive

well its not about returning even, if a region has 30% of player population at any time it will die off since people will have to play 1-2 lives elsewhere.

Board footer