One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-07 00:57:50

antking:]#

smithing 2.0

This idea came to me through a very simple thought prosses, what did old civilization use to smith? and it hit me!
BRONZE

bronze is such an important alloy in human history so important in fact that an entire time period was named after it!  the Bronze age!

bronze is a simple alloy a mixture of tin and copper, we already have copper so adding tin wouldn't be such a big deal.

so my idea is that instead of using iron you could use bronze to make tools!

okay that's the simple stuff now we have to talk about some the properties of tin... while tin is portraited as a common metal it isn't. the you can only find tin in large clusters called mines but this are also very rare! 
so tin in OHOL could only be harvested from mines which would be rare then iron mined but would hold out more tin on average  having 7 uses and having a 19% chance of use.

forging would be simple you combined a copper ingot with a tin ingot to get a copper ingot.  this would allow towns to specialize in bronze instead of iron, or use their iron to make pumps and cars instead of tools!

wow I worded my idea weird...

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#2 2019-03-07 01:14:55

Peremptive

Re: smithing 2.0

well smithing is just strange right now. To tile the land, you can use sticks, extremely expensive and generally avoided stone hoe, or steel hoe. This is a bit mad considering steel wasn't used until quite late compared to other metals and mixtures. Bronze was before Iron Age and there aren't even any iron tools.

I think it would be neat if there was more depth to smithing. Either bronze tools or iron tools that are as good as steel tools now, and similarly complicated to make. Then if you want to make steel tools it should cost two iron to make but last x3 times as long or some other buff. Right now many towns get doomed from being too far from Iron or even having too much iron close by leading to a boom with tool consumption that can't be sustained. It would be nice if we had more long term options.

Then again smithing is really complicated for noobs as it is and smithies are super cluttered as it is.

#3 2019-03-07 06:43:58

WalrusesConquer

Why would you make bronze if you already know how to make steel?

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#4 2019-03-07 08:21:51

pein

we could have copper/tin to make bronze on eve runs
limit it to make only axe shovel hoe
then a bronze mallet which would need items which are only possible with those
like butt log? dug big rock? maybe rope?

then the iron could be used as of now

the delay would be a bit more, but with more copper chance it would be an okay low level thing
also this items would break 2x faster so wont be too viable
but this would decrease mine making for iron from 8 to 5 iron (hammer,froe, adze, file, saw)

the other more complex idea would be bronze pickaxes
and rather than having iron at all, we would have veins more prevalent
also pick needed to be used more often to gain iron from a mine
with some extra flat rock, clay and round stone chances

this would make badlands the industrial zone where you make plates and bowls and cisterns and roads
or transport it home

also bit bigger biomes and bigger chance of veins

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-03-08 00:18:38

Peremptive

WalrusesConquer wrote:

Why would you make bronze if you already know how to make steel?

because there happened to be bronze close by?

What are you going to use the bronze for, radios? By that time they can go look for it further out.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-03-08 00:19:07)

Board footer