One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-05 02:39:54

UnnoticedShadow

Berry Bushes Need Limited Lifespans

As of now, the Gooseberry is the most eaten food by a mile, for many reasons.  Not only is it easy to grow, but can be eaten raw, produced in mass, and is required in compost.  While the usefulness of the Gooseberry Bush is another issue in itself, this usefulness and accessibility only adds to the issue that once grown, a Gooseberry bush will generally stay there forever, taking up space and often getting out of control when newer players don't know what else to do besides water and plant bushes.

Because of this, I think that (domestic) Gooseberry bushes should have a limited, but long lifespan.  For example, maybe these bushes die after being soiled, watered, and harvested 20-35 times, reducing their population without significantly nerfing them, with them turning into dead bushes instead.  However this could be an unbalanced problem if the majority of the bushes had been planted within a short time period, all dying at once, so perhaps the bushes could have a 1% chance of dying, or start out with a 0% chance that increases with age.

Either way I think Gooseberry bushes should have limited lifetimes but not one that's too short, as making them easier to remove themselves would cause greifing, and nerfing them would mess up a lot of core game-play, including the compost system.  While this may not be an urgent issue, I think it's worth mentioning.

#2 2019-03-05 03:05:21

Greep

Re: Berry Bushes Need Limited Lifespans

Eh, it would just make the game harder.  People do things mostly out of ignorance rather than optimality.  For instance, buildings are proven definitely not worthwhile, but that hasn't stopped people from building them.  Milk is overwhelmingly better than stew, but people make stew. Etc Etc.  People would still just make infinite gooseberry fields, but they would have to keep remaking them.

Last edited by Greep (2019-03-05 03:05:40)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#3 2019-03-05 03:08:13

pein

i think it's a good idea and would help with kindling
and not a big overall nerf
if you are fast you clean up the bushes and fix, 5 reloads are possible on a bush each hour
if the eve plants it around 30-40 then 10 reloads is like gen 4
not a big nerf and would help rearrange those bushes

i think last reload should give a seed for a different kind of berry, like strawberry, which would have better yield or bit better food value, but you could only plant 1 and get 1 seed
would require some different path, like putting straw on it

Last edited by pein (2019-03-06 17:21:27)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-03-05 03:14:54

Chard

Greep wrote:

Eh, it would just make the game harder.  People do things mostly out of ignorance rather than optimality.  For instance, buildings are proven definitely not worthwhile, but that hasn't stopped people from building them.  Milk is overwhelmingly better than stew, but people make stew. Etc Etc.  People would still just make infinite gooseberry fields, but they would have to keep remaking them.

I agree that people do things out ignorance. But the solution as ever is to treat the ignorance. Maybe something could be done to fix berry bushes, stop there being massive farms for them everywhere. Maybe the best thing that could be done would be to make gooseberries non-edible, or non-domesticisable but replace them with something else. At the end of the day though if you want to get people eating better food you have to work out how to convince people to eat better food. And we've struggled with that since day 1. All we grew was carrots and you could go through tens of lives without even seeing a pie sometimes.

#5 2019-03-05 03:17:30

UnnoticedShadow

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to nerf gooseberries, i'm trying to add a way that will make them die eventually, as opposed to taking up space (usually) forever.  Their just too easy to grow, and too hard to destroy, but if they were made easier to destroy they would be greifed.

#6 2019-03-05 03:25:26

BladeWoods

I think berry bushes need to be easier to remove. A lifespan like that might be beyond the scope of the current game engine. Everything transitions from one state to another, with no memory of prior transitions.

It's possible to remove berry bushes already, but I wish you didn't have to wait for the bush to turn languished to remove it. Then it would be much easier. When trying to remove a bush if someone soils it before you stake it then you gotta wait at least 10 minutes to remove it. Which makes fixing a town's berry patch a lifetime task.

I do find it super annoying when towns make far too large square patches of berry bushes. Which about 99% of towns do. If you do 2 or 3 thick rows of berry bushes things are literally three times more efficient cause you can have minimal travel times for soil, water, and filling bowls with berries. And towns don't actually need very many berry bushes at all. You should be eating better foods. But new players that don't know any better just plant lots and eat nothing but them, which isn't the part I mind so much, I just wish it could be in rows and not all over the place.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-03-05 06:42:03)

#7 2019-03-05 03:34:47

futurebird

I hate that removing berry bushes takes:

-wait for it to languish
-find a person to do the shovel after you water it

it's just too hard to kill them. Why not have the following:

-all berried must be gone
-place steaks on bush
-steaks remain undisturbed for 4 min (no one can eat or use the bush, calling attention to greifing attempts) if steaks are removed nothing changes
-then use shovel and it's out.

The waiting would keep people from digging up the patch.

I have often tried to fix bad berry patches by removing a few, but it's hard to get the shovel close enough, hard to get help, and they get soil and water so dern quick that I've never once been able to do it except for one time when I died trying because I forgot to eat.

But I saw the bush pop out just as I died. Worth it.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#8 2019-03-05 04:44:13

pein

ok now i know why tela recognized me big_smile

you put the shovel next to bush
you get a water
water bush, swap to shovel and dig it
replace it with boards asap as they will plant it back if not
cut the bush with the hatchet for kindling

if you set up a small pattern, people might follow it
3x3 patches work usually

or lay out a pattern first, like i did in sancal and other places, put a cistern
plant bushes and make compost there
eventually smarter people realize that even if its smaller its more effective and better main berry farm

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2019-03-05 11:06:06

The_Anabaptist

Just wait, winter is coming...  Bam! Your entire grove is dead!

The_Anabaptist

Board footer