One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-03 00:25:50

wonderbooty911

Asking names on server 7

I'm running into issues with Eve's letting babies die if the baby doesn't provide a discord user name they recognize. This is making playing the game next to impossible, as we're unable to live in a community and help it grow. The only option is to hope you spawn as an Eve. If you want to play with only those you know, get on a private server. Stop being selfish and let everyone play.

#2 2019-03-03 00:47:00

Chard

Re: Asking names on server 7

Most players consider any server apart from the top two to be semi-private. I imagine that is what is happening in this case. Is there a reason you are specifically trying to get on server 7?

#3 2019-03-03 01:01:33

Tarr
Banned

If people are playing on a low population server they're trying to build or play with a select group of players. The very few times I ever did something like that we didn't accept randoms either because you risk an asshat suddenly popping up and starting trouble.

On a funny note apparently someone was claiming to be me on server 7 today because of exactly what you are describing. If people are playing low pop you are at the mercy of if they want to accept a stranger into their group and should respect them not accepting random people.

Also as a reminder if someone claims to be someone you can have them respond on discord (which is why you don't take someones word over a response via discord). I myself don't play on low pop servers in the first place so claiming to be me is probably not a smart idea lel.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2019-03-03 05:06:52

Spoonwood

I agree with Tarr on this.  I have often chosen not keep children, because of the risk of losing my Eve spawn from one of them murdering me.  Other issues too, but that's the biggest one.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2019-03-03 11:07:39

breezeknight

Spoonwood wrote:

I agree with Tarr on this.  I have often chosen not keep children, because of the risk of losing my Eve spawn from one of them murdering me.  Other issues too, but that's the biggest one.

are you just paranoid or did it happen to you that often ?

Tarr wrote:

... If people are playing low pop you are at the mercy of if they want to accept a stranger into their group and should respect them not accepting random people. ...

may i remind everybody - THIS GAME IS ABOUT RANDOM PEOPLE PLAYING TOGETHER

if Jason wanted to make it to a coop game, then he would have made it, wouldn't he ?

actions like that are antisocial & i would even say, it's a form of griefing

the people playing on low pop severs should respect that the original gameplay is not a coop game
everybody is oc free to set up a private server & play coop there
& yeah, just because an exploit is possible doesn't mean it's ok to do it

Chard wrote:

... Is there a reason you are specifically trying to get on server 7?

would like to know that too, cause there are other servers as well,
though the OHOL community is quite elitist, violent & closed tongue
which doesn't help the popularity of the game in the least btw yikes

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-03-03 11:13:01)

#6 2019-03-03 11:26:52

Tarr
Banned

People are going to play however they want to play in the long run. Some people like to play with a whole bunch of people around, some people prefer to play in small camps. Some people like to continuously work on their projects and some people like to play anywhere and everywhere. The thing here is that if you let unknowns into a group you risk losing hours upon hours of work vs on the main server where it's always inevitable that your work will be moot. The low pop server people have been keeping their cities alive for weeks and that's the aspect of the game they enjoy.

If you want to play on an unpopulated server you're more than welcome to pick one of the 15 or so that are available. If you want to play the game with a group of people you have bigserver2 to play on. Unlike the main servers these low pops can't just lineage ban out someone messing with their stuff like you can on the main server. If a troll wanted to keep returning to fuck it up they can and you CANT stop them. If they're born an Eve they can walk to your area via coordinates, and if not they'll be born back to you over and over again.

Oh no, you're not allowed in a small group I guess you'll just have to pick out of 14 other low pop servers to go play alone on. QQ.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2019-03-03 12:05:50

breezeknight

Tarr wrote:

People are going to play however they want to play in the long run. Some people like to play with a whole bunch of people around, some people prefer to play in small camps. Some people like to continuously work on their projects and some people like to play anywhere and everywhere. The thing here is that if you let unknowns into a group you risk losing hours upon hours of work vs on the main server where it's always inevitable that your work will be moot. The low pop server people have been keeping their cities alive for weeks and that's the aspect of the game they enjoy.

If you want to play on an unpopulated server you're more than welcome to pick one of the 15 or so that are available. If you want to play the game with a group of people you have bigserver2 to play on. Unlike the main servers these low pops can't just lineage ban out someone messing with their stuff like you can on the main server. If a troll wanted to keep returning to fuck it up they can and you CANT stop them. If they're born an Eve they can walk to your area via coordinates, and if not they'll be born back to you over and over again.

Oh no, you're not allowed in a small group I guess you'll just have to pick out of 14 other low pop servers to go play alone on. QQ.

"like to play" differs from "hindering others to play"
that's the griefing difference

The low pop server people have been keeping their cities alive for weeks and that's the aspect of the game they enjoy.

yeah, elitist much tongue
the game doesn't belong to players & surely not to "some" players who came to the idea that because there are few people on a server that server is theirs ONLY to play
claims like that are not any part of the game & surely not on official servers

that's just outright griefing
just because that's a group of players against one player butting in doesn't make it less griefing by the group
if you friend spawn by four into a town io to grief the heck out of it, you could as well excuse it with "they just wanna have fun their way"

if you wanna play coop you are more than welcome to set up an actually private server !
official servers do not belong to the players
the main idea of the game is transience of everything
a group of players coordinated via discord gain no special protection zone just because they found an exploit

i enjoy not being killed, do i get a special treatment as well ? lol

you & any other player has no right whatsoever to tell any other player where to play - cause that's griefing

no player has any right to claims over an official server & all 16 servers are official

#8 2019-03-03 12:38:37

Peremptive

You are super strange dude. Someone spends weeks to make something the way they like, and if they let some random live and they kill them, then they lose their spawn and all their work. Fuck randoms.

If you want to play in solo eve town and cry people don't always let you into theirs, go make one.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-03-03 12:39:09)

#9 2019-03-03 13:04:30

Randomname

Nothing is stopping them from making their own town as an Eve and letting others in.  Calling others that don't want to play with others griefers is just plain uncalled for, especially considering the many risks.  I once had a pretty town in Server 4 and I let in anyone, most were nice (big thank you to Helen Loner whoever you are).  However one told all their friends to join them, one of them even eve spawned in and ran to the town following the bell.  They completely shut me out and took over and when I died one time someone built a locked room near my skeleton and when I spawned in next I starved to death, losing my town forever.

Losing my work forever through letting a baby live is just beyond frustrating.  There is also the risk of an Eve spawn in your town and stealing your stuff usually your horse, axe and shovel.  Or using all your clay to make about 40 crock pots of stew when you gathered the clay for an adobe walled tire factory and made the compost for wheat, or just generally messing up your building plans even if they are nice people that aren't griefers.

#10 2019-03-03 15:24:42

CrazyEddie

I don't have any sympathy for people who are playing in small groups or solo and who worry desperately about "losing their Eve chain" or otherwise being unable to find their precious town that they've worked so hard on in life after life.

Because that's not the way the game is intended to be played.

I don't begrudge them for doing so, and I'm not going to try to stop them, because it doesn't really affect me. Creating a de facto private town on a public server is honestly rather obnoxious, but it's not that big of a deal... people who get born there can use /die to get location banned and then play in a different town (or if there aren't any other towns, play as an Eve and start one, or if they don't want to play as an Eve play on a different server).

But I won't shed a tear when Jason makes yet another change specifically intended to stop this kind of gameplay, as he has done on various occasions in the past.

#11 2019-03-03 17:31:02

Anandamide

Whats really obnoxious is telling others how to play a game they paid for when their gameplay in no way negatively affects your own. Boo hoo you didn't get to play in their village. If they wanted to have a chance of playing with you, they would be on the bigserver. There is nothing stopping you from playing on server 7, you just aren't gonna get to play with them. Are you entitled to their time? Try another server, people often do let randoms into solo eve camps(I have sometimes). You can even build your own damn village on server 7.

#12 2019-03-03 17:39:00

mric

seriously the false excuse of risking an outsider could wreck havoc in the village is lame.

yesterday i logged on server9, took care of a child and village.
then an asshole stabbed me because i could not provide a name and he did not know me.
his excuse was "risk is too high".
my ass.
In this case the real problem was that xenophobe dude.
not me. since I grew up the in village and was an adult when he killed me. I proved I was taking care of the village.

if guys want to play in community they must build their own server, not privatise a server provided by Jason for everyone.

#13 2019-03-03 17:43:50

Anandamide

No one is privatizing a public server. You are still able to go back to that server no matter how many times you die. No one is preventing you from playing the game. Players are in fact, allowed to kill other players, for whatever reason. That's how the game works. There are a number of valid reasons to play with a closed group(the biggest one being, they fucking want to). Do you all whine like this IRL if someone doesn't wanna interact with you? They don't need a reason there, and they don't need a reason here. Grow up, get over yourselves, and just play the game or don't.

#14 2019-03-03 18:53:41

mric

in irl I would whine if someone kills me after asking me who am i but no more reason.
if at least he told me to do my life somewhere else. but i just did not understand why he kept asking me who am I and the killing me for not answering his question which had no meaning for me.

the basics is to say you want to play in community and ask the player to go elsewhere. Not to kill him after 20 minutes !
therefore yes that dude is an asshole and that has nothing to do with people ignoring me irl.
that is not interaction here, that is murder.

#15 2019-03-03 19:08:37

Anandamide

What if, that player was the one that started the camp, and didnt know that someone else had been let in. Maybe they assumed you were one of them and then realized there was one too many people there. Maybe he started solo and the other players joined randomly, and gave that player their discord name. Maybe they took a break and came back to find you in their camp. I can think of many more scenarios, but that is all irrelevant because even if he just wanted to kill you, it doesn't matter. Murdering someone in this game is not comparable to real life. They "blocked" you. If its petty or rude, it doesn't matter. There is nothing wrong with what they did. If you dont want to play on the big server, and also dont want to do it solo, you can: keep trying other groups on other servers, or give them your discord name, or form your own group(or any combination of the above). You could also go back to the big server or play solo. Not giving your name in that situation is shady. It wouldn't have done anything to hurt you, and you could have all moved on.

Last edited by Anandamide (2019-03-03 19:09:14)

#16 2019-03-03 19:19:00

Anandamide

Also the hypocrisy here is kinda wild. If you intentionally target a server other than the big server, you are essentially saying that you don't want to play with random players at that time. Be it solo or in a group, that is the only reason to get off of the big server. If you want to play in a community of randoms who build something out of the happenstance of it all, then go back to the big server. You are criticizing people for doing exactly what you are trying to do on server 7.

#17 2019-03-03 19:20:02

Tarr
Banned

Randomname wrote:

Nothing is stopping them from making their own town as an Eve and letting others in.  Calling others that don't want to play with others griefers is just plain uncalled for, especially considering the many risks.  I once had a pretty town in Server 4 and I let in anyone, most were nice (big thank you to Helen Loner whoever you are).  However one told all their friends to join them, one of them even eve spawned in and ran to the town following the bell.  They completely shut me out and took over and when I died one time someone built a locked room near my skeleton and when I spawned in next I starved to death, losing my town forever.

Losing my work forever through letting a baby live is just beyond frustrating.  There is also the risk of an Eve spawn in your town and stealing your stuff usually your horse, axe and shovel.  Or using all your clay to make about 40 crock pots of stew when you gathered the clay for an adobe walled tire factory and made the compost for wheat, or just generally messing up your building plans even if they are nice people that aren't griefers.

I know it's clearly too late to do anything about that situation now but there's a few options when people do that sort of shitty thing in the future.

1). If they're still playing you can always go back to your specific camp via using the coordinates in the stdout file. You'll able to know where your camp is if people are alive in it when you spawn back meaning you could be able to clear the assholes out of your camp or reset your eve spawn nearby and just wait them out.

2). Chain somewhere else and walk back the following day when the logs are updated. A much slower way but should you lose your camp at any time just die of old age somewhere else and check the life logs related to your server. As long as you either know your email hash or know your name for the previous day you can compare the coordinates and just walk back to your old camp.

I just don't think it's worth trusting people who refuse to tell and confirm who they are when doing private stuff. The one time I let a group into the bigserver2 walled city I near instantly had the plane stolen by someone who proved exactly why we weren't accepting randoms into the private area in the first place.

fug it’s Tarr.

#18 2019-03-03 20:26:40

pein

you got  14 other servers, stop bitching

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#19 2019-03-03 21:11:05

breezeknight

there is no such thing in OHOL as "your town"
if you play that way you play a game that was never intended & therefore every other player is entitled to butt in & do whatever they like, because that's the game intended

maybe the initial problem got lost here
a group of discord people tried to hijack an official server & declared it their own & killed everybody else who didn't answer the right way
what a gameplay is that ?

& to tell players where they have to play or have not to play, who are you ? entitled by what authority ?

the most ironic thing is
Jason makes a game Public Domain & Open Source
& players playing on his official servers declare a server "their own" & a town on that server "their own" lol

Tarr wrote:

I just don't think it's worth trusting people who refuse to tell and confirm who they are when doing private stuff. The one time I let a group into the bigserver2 walled city I near instantly had the plane stolen by someone who proved exactly why we weren't accepting randoms into the private area in the first place.

wow !

"a private area on a official server in an open source public domain game"

just wow yikes

GJ that player who stole "your" precious plane lol

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-03-03 21:19:50)

#20 2019-03-03 21:19:18

mric

Anandamide I understand that players want to prevent risk of someone destroying what they did. It would be better they tell that instead of asking "who are you" then killing.

My concern is that guy did not explain. He behaved as if what he asked made sense.
But for me who discovered the game a few days ago that made no sense and was just the behaviour of a jerk.

Good practice would have been to explain to me. But no, he considered that I was necessarily a threat just because I was an outsider. That is very definition of xenophobic.
He asked multiple times "who are you". Which I did not understand because my mother gave me a name and had a lineage. He could read my name.

If he told me that he wanted to me to leave so they are safe. I would have understood. And he would have not to behave like an asshole.

And no, that is not hypocrisy from me.
I poped in a village, my mother took care of me and gave me a name and did not tell me they were playing as a closed community.
Therefore I decided to give time to this community. That is gratitude towards time my mother gave to me. Not hypocrisy.

#21 2019-03-03 21:38:12

sigmen4020

Ok, I'm apart of one of those groups that are currently playing on server 7, and there is a big reason why randoms aren't kept, especially recently since a group of people hijacked one persons camp and turned it into an apocalypse fortress. We have also dealt with impersonators before where they claimed they were someone from the group, and when they grew up they killed of one of our Eve spawns.

We are not entitled to let everyone in and risk everything we build get griefed. We almost lost everything to griefers targeting the server. I don't really understand why so many people seem to think that we should just go balls to the walls and let everyone and their mother into our town, when it's been very clear in the past that some pricks join small servers just to destroy everything someone has built.

And Tarr I was in the town where someone was claiming to be you, and I am glad now that we decided to not keep that one.

Edit: And also if I want to constantly deal with normal randoms I go to the normal bigserver like most other people, which I do all the time I'm not playing with the group.

Edit 1: Also if you want to join a town on the small servers I'm sure there are more for you out there, or you can build your own. You are not entitled to be kept in one specific town.

Edit 2: Also if you do you want to be there, you can give your discord name, and we mostly keep everyone who do that even when they arent a part of our group since they can now be held accountable for their actions.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-03-03 21:43:29)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#22 2019-03-03 22:15:24

breezeknight

sigmen4020 wrote:

Ok, I'm apart of one of those groups that are currently playing on server 7, and there is a big reason why randoms aren't kept, especially recently since a group of people hijacked one persons camp and turned it into an apocalypse fortress. We have also dealt with impersonators before where they claimed they were someone from the group, and when they grew up they killed of one of our Eve spawns.

We are not entitled to let everyone in and risk everything we build get griefed. We almost lost everything to griefers targeting the server. I don't really understand why so many people seem to think that we should just go balls to the walls and let everyone and their mother into our town, when it's been very clear in the past that some pricks join small servers just to destroy everything someone has built.

And Tarr I was in the town where someone was claiming to be you, and I am glad now that we decided to not keep that one.

Edit: And also if I want to constantly deal with normal randoms I go to the normal bigserver like most other people, which I do all the time I'm not playing with the group.

Edit 1: Also if you want to join a town on the small servers I'm sure there are more for you out there, or you can build your own. You are not entitled to be kept in one specific town.

Edit 2: Also if you do you want to be there, you can give your discord name, and we mostly keep everyone who do that even when they arent a part of our group since they can now be held accountable for their actions.

just to clarify

YOU are the griefers who hijack the server

[sarcasm on] no, you're not elitist at all [sarcasm off] yikes
"normal randoms"
"our group"
"We are not entitled to let everyone in and risk everything we build get griefed."
"our town"
gosh

i tell you what you are not entitled to - to hijack any of the official servers
you are in fear of losing "your" precious builds ? i hope the next update wipes all clean or maybe i should participate in an apocalypse on server 7 lol

just release the official server you hijacked & go make your private server, so that "randoms" like me can play whereever they like

- - -

#23 2019-03-03 22:16:25

Anandamide

there is no such thing in OHOL as "your town"
if you play that way you play a game that was never intended & therefore every other player is entitled to butt in & do whatever they like, because that's the game intended

You are entitled to nothing more than logging into the server, and the items you can hold in your hands/basket/backpack. No one is required to keep you as a baby if they dont want you. They used valid game mechanics to keep the OP out of their village. On the big server, since everything is collaborative, there certainly is no "your town". If I build my own eve camp solo or entirely with a small group, it is absolutely our village. If you want it, youre gonna have to find it and kill us for it(which is perfectly allowed in this game, nothing stopping you from doing that).

maybe the initial problem got lost here
a group of discord people tried to hijack an official server & declared it their own & killed everybody else who didn't answer the right way
what a gameplay is that ?

No one hijacked the server, you can still log in and play, on that server, its just not gonna be with those people unless you can convince them to keep you or you find their camp

& to tell players where they have to play or have not to play, who are you ? entitled by what authority ?

The only authority in this game is force, like IRL. They used force, as implemented in the game to exert their will. There is no rule that says you cant do this. Additionally, I didnt say where you can and cant play, and instead just enumerated all the things you can do. They do not have to keep you as a baby. That is their choice.

the most ironic thing is
Jason makes a game Public Domain & Open Source
& players playing on his official servers declare a server "their own" & a town on that server "their own" lol

Thats totally irrelevant, it being open source has nothing to do with supposed in game ethics and whatnot. Also, again, no one is claiming to own one of the PUBLIC servers. You absolutely can target that server, and get born there, and play there, as much as you want. Also, if you build it, or take it and can defend it, it is yours.

tarr wrote:

wow !

"a private area on a official server in an open source public domain game"

just wow yikes

Huh, its almost like Jason put in walls and doors and locks and weapons. Sounds like he is okay with players making a private area on any of the servers. You too can build walls and a door and a lock and then have your own private area. Additionally, you can make all of the keys yourself and break into and steal said building or city if you have the skill and motivation to do so.

GJ that player who stole "your" precious plane lol

"waaa waaa I cant make anything cool, so gj for taking someone elses hard work"

Its clear you're an entitled garbage person and I would absolutely never let you in my private camps at this point. And please come complain about it, we will all get a great laugh out of it.

#24 2019-03-03 22:19:06

Anandamide

breezeknight wrote:
sigmen4020 wrote:

just to clarify

"normal randoms"
"our group"
"We are not entitled to let everyone in and risk everything we build get griefed."
"our town"
gosh

you are in fear of losing "your" precious builds ? i hope the next update wipes all clean or maybe i should participate in an apocalypse on server 7 lol

just release the official server you hijacked & go make your private server, so that "randoms" like me can play whereever they like

- - -

Oh honey, you can still play on server 7, nothing is fucking stopping you. They did not hack the server and limit who can login. You are entitled to nothing more than logging in. Thats it, from there, make/steal/do whatever you want, youre gonna have to make it happen though. If someone does not want to keep you as a baby, youre just gonna have to get over it. If you stumble upon a village, and they ask who you are and you refuse to tell them, then youre gonna need to use force to exert your will to be there. If you cant do that then there is no help for you. Tough fucking luck buddy.

#25 2019-03-03 22:33:23

sigmen4020

breezeknight wrote:
sigmen4020 wrote:

just to clarify

"normal randoms"
"our group"
"our town"
gosh

- - -

Oh please, come in and try to join creating the apocalypse on server 7 (though you'll have to start from scratch, because we destroyed their camp during the patch), be part of the reason why we don't keep sketchy randoms in our town. Oh and notice how I say town and not server. We do not own the server, you can play on it if you want, you're just not allowed to be born in the town we spent days building up from scratch, if you don't wanna be held accountable.

But also I'll ask you then since you seem to think that everyone is entitled to be kept everywhere. Should we all just let griefers run amok on the big server for example, because they are entitled to be there.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

Board footer