One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-28 09:18:08

BladeWoods

Are clothes useless?

If I understand clothes correctly they don't improve your temperature anymore. They just slow down your temperature change which has no positive effect at all if you spend enough time in the same outdoor biome. And what's enough time seems to be very little.

I spent a life working the field in a waterlands biome, my temperature was always cold. Didn't matter if I had clothes or was naked. So might as well be naked. Fully clothed except for shoes. Going to a fire to warm up then going back to the field isn't a very viable strat as even with all my clothes I would only stay warm outside for maybe 10 seconds, not very long at all.

Seems the holding in heat for the journey idea Jason mentioned needs at least a tenfold buff to be a viable thing.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-02-28 12:21:25)

#2 2019-02-28 09:29:06

Baker

Re: Are clothes useless?

What were you wearing, All fur?

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#3 2019-02-28 09:37:44

BladeWoods

Was wearing rabbit fur coat, loin cloth, backpack, and a santa hat.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-02-28 09:38:46)

#4 2019-02-28 09:47:49

Solbusaur

Clothes do matter, but to get the full effect, you need nearly a full set, maybe missing a hat or shoes is fine. If you had full fur, for example, your temperature would sit only a bit from the perfect temp, rather than all the way at the cold end.
Since the Pips-used-per-hour against temperature makes a curve, the difference is usually worth it
unknown.png?width=758&height=614

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#5 2019-02-28 09:56:15

BladeWoods

Solbusaur, I think that's outdated. Clothes don't work like that anymore.

#6 2019-02-28 09:57:53

Solbusaur

Darn

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#7 2019-02-28 10:02:47

Jojigirl

When I am fully clothed head to toe, my temp meter looks like that picture above.. I can tell a difference on how much I eat naked vs clothed. Being clothed I do not lose food bars as fast.

Try it with hat, socks and all.

#8 2019-02-28 10:34:43

Peremptive

BladeWoods wrote:

Solbusaur, I think that's outdated. Clothes don't work like that anymore.

Jason can't post well to save his life, leading to this confusion. Clothes still add heat and significantly reduce pip loss in the cold even just on their own. This added heat was what killed you in hot biomes taking you to max in jungle until it was fixed not to be applied in hot biomes.

#9 2019-02-28 10:52:15

betame

CE made the most complete temperature guide for the Heat Overhaul.

You can find the math there,
but [I was totally wrong]

Last edited by betame (2019-03-07 12:38:13)

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#10 2019-02-28 10:52:50

Twisted

Different clothing items have different insulation values. It's possible to have (almost) perfect temperature at all times if you're wearing good quality clothing.

#11 2019-02-28 11:07:38

Grim_Arbiter

Twisted wrote:

Different clothing items have different insulation values. It's possible to have (almost) perfect temperature at all times if you're wearing good quality clothing.

I've just always found it odd that we cant achieve PERFECT temp yet by just wearing clothes. I think the meme would go:

"Builds diesel engine to perfection.. Cant make a goose down jacket and not be cold."

I have hope its coming next though. These updates with fixes this week are actually pretty good game changers too! I pretty much support everything being done with this update.

Last edited by Grim_Arbiter (2019-02-28 11:09:33)

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#12 2019-02-28 12:25:46

BladeWoods

Thanks guys, I didn't notice clothes still help like they used to, and yeah Jason's update posts on temp is about holding heat in for a journey which doesn't seem to be much of a thing.

#13 2019-02-28 12:35:44

Bob 101

I'd suggest trying seal skin coats and wolf hats. Bit of extra effort but if you go hunting with a cart you can save rabbit furs for packs and pants.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-02-28 12:36:48)

#14 2019-02-28 16:44:36

pein

they do help, you can try in tutorial that seal skin and all fur clothes are giving you about 30/100 heat instead of 15/100

the question, does it worth making your clothes?
answer is no
en mass a rabbit hunter can get lot more rabbits
you can make a road and a sign to rabbits
even a hut to cook rabbits
and a snare for each group of rabbits

you can go with a cart and hit multiple seals
you lose more than 30 min making full clothing especially without sheep yarn the cost is too much time, too much resources

if you are working in a 5x5 spot, which is also rare, you can heat it with a fire, which is also kinda wasteful
if you make a compost, it cost you 4-5 bowls of soil to get 21 bowls of soil
so the profit 16 soil can make 8 trees, pine, you cut it for 16 firewood, 16x4 is 64 minutes of heat

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#15 2019-02-28 17:07:32

Peremptive

clothing is definitely worth it. for one person it doesn't take that long to make them. For a village, I recently brought 3-4 carts of rabbits in a game, set pretty much everyone with clothes for hours, plus we turned the meat into pies and fed everyone for some time. So, clothes and rabbits are certainly a good way to help a village.

#16 2019-02-28 17:27:46

CrazyEddie

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

I've just always found it odd that we cant achieve PERFECT temp yet by just wearing clothes.

That's deliberate on Jason's part. He wants perfect temperature to require clothing AND fires AND buildings. Any one on its own shouldn't be sufficient, or it means the others would be useless and would never be made.

#17 2019-02-28 21:51:15

Greep

The takeaway from betame's graph is that it's much more important to get at least some clothes than a full set (not sure where this full set rumor got started, maybe I'm missing something).

At 28% insulation your hunger is halved, at the theoretical 95% it is halved again.  So merely putting a mouflon hide on should reduce hunger by an absurd 40%.  I'm not sure if that's actually true, but that is what the graph shows.  It certainly feels in the ballpark, as the hunger rate with nothing is crazy, even if it's still super high with some clothes on.

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#18 2019-02-28 22:33:40

voy178

I found that a full set of clothing actually slowed my hunger substantially. It's been nice, almost relaxing in established towns. That's when the fun starts for me and you get to teach newbies how to do the essential stuff. It's a pity most forget to eat whilst you teach them.

#19 2019-02-28 23:18:17

Peremptive

I find that a lot of places don't have enough rabbits around or fail to get them. The most successful life I've had, I was lucky to find a fully clothed dead guy lost outside the village, and spent ages 7-14 just capturing rabbits. I found 4-5 snares that were thrown around one by one or two by previous players who were just out to get enough for themselves.
The savanna had tons of rabbits and having so many snares meant I had 4-5 full carts of baskets ready to pick up. My adulthood was split between getting full carts back, and having to drop it all, get the kids back, clothe them well, and drop them off to the nursery to get more. Having full fields of rabbits popping up around the village made sure we were drowning in pies and everyone was wearing at least some clothes.
By the time I was 45 the place was doing very well, I felt satisfied, so I stayed in the village and taught my noob kids how to farm and chatted with them. It was the first time it felt like it was before the update.

#20 2019-02-28 23:33:41

DestinyCall

For people who are not familiar with the available clothing options, here is a quick breakdown to help you get dressed quickly and fashionably.   Please keep in mind that these values may change, if/when Jason decides to do a clothing overhaul. 

First ... pants!   In this category, the options are very limited.  Reed skirt (12% insulation) or rabbit skin loincloth(17% insulation). The reedskirt costs one rope vs one thread for the loincloth, but does not require a bone needle to make.  It also never decays, but it does not provide as much protection.   It is a good choice for a nomadic Eve or a pantsless wanderer.  Otherwise, stick with the loincloth.  It is very cheap and easy to mass-produce in a village with sheep.

Next, chest covers.  In order of most protective to least protective, sealskin coat (31.5%), rabbit skin coat (29.75%), rabbit skin shawl and wool sweater (24.5%), mouflon hide (21%), sheepskin and sealskin (10.5%), and lastly, apron (0%)    You should immediately hunt down any seals you find around your village for their skins.  When you get carts, it is might even be worth going on a seal hunting expedition, specifically to bring back more skins.  The seals can be hunted and skinned without access to advanced tools, so sealskins are very easy to get, even in an early village and with access to needle/thread, you can make the best chest clothing.  Mouflon hides are a close second to seals.  In fact, they are better, if you lack thread.  The hides last forever and provide decent insulation at no thread cost.   Sheepskin is pretty bad with no way to upgrade it.   Generally better to shear sheep for thread to make better clothing.  BUT ... if your town has no shears or no rabbit hides, and a lot of naked people, sheepskins are fast and easy to make.  No thread required and they last forever.   Good baby clothing.   Wool sweater and rabbit shawl/coat are pretty costly to produce in large quantity.   I don't like them, except when I am stuck wearing a sheep skin. 

And now ... headgear!   Again in order of insulation, wolf hat (22.5%), rabbit hat (21.5%), santa hat (18.75%), wool hat (17.5%), straw hat (16%), cook hat/crowns (0%).    The wolf hat is the best hat, with rabbit hat as a close second.   One downside is that the wolf hat can get in the way of taking items from your backpack, but it looks pretty badass, so at least you will leave a pretty corpse if you accidentally starve while wearing one.   Rabbit hats are good.   Relatively cheap and very warm.   Alternatively, the straw hat is even cheaper and easy to mass produce if you notice too many bare heads in your village.   Wool hat should be avoided.  Too expensive and not that warm.  Santa hat looks cool and lasts forever.   Better option if you want a wool item on your head. 

Lastly, footwear.   Rabbit shoe (8.5%), wool booty (7%) Snakeskin/fruitboot (5%), and old boot (0%).    Rabbit shoe is best option for warmth.  Fruit boot is the most fun.   Old boot is completely useless.  Wool booty isn't warm enough or fruity enough, so just ignore it.  At first glance, footwear looks pretty weak so it might be tempting to skip it, but keep in mind that you can wear TWO shoes, so the insulation is doubled for a pair of shoes.   And two rabbit shoes provide as much insulation as one loincloth.  A loincloth and pair of shoes is better than wearing a rabbit coat and only requires three rabbit skins to produce.  So if you have enough thread, you should go ahead and make some shoes.

My recommended gear is:

Loincloth, sealskin coat/rabbit coat, wolf hat/rabbit hat, and rabbit shoes.  This outfit will provide around 86% insulation. 

For a "non-decaying" outfit, reed skirt, mouflon hide, straw hat, and fruit boots.   The boots will decay, but they taste delicious.  This outfit provides roughly 60% insulation.

Ideally, rabbit hides should be made into backpacks, loincloths, rabbit shoes, and hats.   Sheep should be sheared for balls of thread to make sealskin coats, wolf hats, and rabbit gear.  Do not make any wool clothing items. Nearby seals and wolves should be hunted to extinction.   Wild mouflon should be hunted more conservatively to protect your ability to domesticate sheep later (or redomesticate them after griefing).   Do not kill the domestic mouflon - he is your friend.   Sheepskins, straw hats and reed skirts can be made when better options are unavailable or in short supply. 

The major limiting factor for large-scale clothing production is thread - avoid making wool items due to high thread costs and consider farming milkweed in a pre-sheep village, if wild milkweed runs out and everybody is still naked.   

Hopefully this is helpful to people.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-03-01 03:22:59)

#21 2019-03-01 00:34:26

CrazyEddie

Excellent guide!

#22 2019-03-01 01:21:11

fragilityh14

and seals respawn now right? I had heard someone say that they don't, but i was seal hunting and one seemingly appears out of the ice right in front of my eyes. I also happened to see one of the carcasses despawn.

for an early camp, if you're near a good amount of ice, it's very worthwhile to club the seals and bring those back. Not too hard either, just set a basket with food down in the ice and come back with two at a time, knowing where food is for your journey.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#23 2019-03-01 02:42:32

CrazyEddie

Seals don't respawn. They can dive into ice holes, and then thirty seconds later they'll jump back out, so maybe that's what you saw.

Bears respawn in empty caves after 24 hours.

#24 2019-03-01 14:07:59

Spoonwood

DestinyCall seems to have a good clothing guide.  One point though:

DestinyCall wrote:

The major limiting factor for large-scale clothing production is thread - avoid making wool items due to high thread costs ...

I would recommend avoiding making wool clothing for the most part, though santa hat maybe could get considered since it doesn't decay (wolf hats are still better in my opinion).  I would NOT avoid all other wool items.  In particular, I would not avoid wool pads for medical treatment when playing on a bigserver town.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#25 2019-03-01 17:17:56

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:

I would recommend avoiding making wool clothing for the most part, though santa hat maybe could get considered since it doesn't decay (wolf hats are still better in my opinion).  I would NOT avoid all other wool items.  In particular, I would not avoid wool pads for medical treatment when playing on a bigserver town.

Producing medical pads is just fine and a great idea for any town with sheep.   It only takes a little bit of time and preparation to save a life.   After all, you can only make so many needle/thread sets and sheepskins.   One ball of thread on needle provides 7 uses.  At a certain point, you will have more balls of thread than you know what to do with, so making aprons or santa hats or other wool items becomes viable.   Wool clothing is just not the best way to keep your people warm, despite being higher up the tech tree than rabbit gear.   Aprons use to be the main use for fleece, but since they provide no insulation on the largest body part, it is less optimal to wear an apron now.  You could still do so, as long as you are wearing good shoes/hat/and loincloth or if you are primarily working inside a building near a fire.

Speaking of wool items, here is a quick breakdown of material costs to explain why wool items are problematic.   Wool items are made by combining balls of thread.  Each sheep produces a fleece and each fleece makes one ball of thread.  Two balls of thread are combined to make a small ball of yarn which can be knitted into a wool booty.   Two small balls of yarn can be combined into a big ball of yarn and knitted into a wool hat.   A small ball of yarn and a big ball of yarn can be combined to make a huge ball of yarn and knitted into a wool sweater.  So making a wool sweater (or apron) costs the same as producing six sheep skins.   Or six needle + ball of thread which can be used to produce seven other clothing items EACH.   That means that for your efforts, you could be sewing 42 non-wool clothing items .. or knitting just one wool sweater. 

Here's a practical example to help compare the costs/benefits of using rabbits and sheep in different ways.     Imagine that you are a skilled rabbit hunter.  You just returned from a successful hunt with an upgraded cart loaded with six baskets of rabbits, ready to be skinned.   On your way into town, you notice the sheep pen is full - there are seven sheep covered in wool, ready for slaughter.  And a decent number of people are running around the town naked or partially clothed.   What do you do?

After processing the rabbits, you have 18 rabbit skins.   You could prioritize storage.   Shear one of the sheep to make a needle+thread and turn those skins into four backpacks (4 1/2 skins each), then shear the rest of the sheep and make one apron.   You haven't fixed the clothing problem, but five people can now run around naked with a pie in their backpack/apron.  They will be able to get more done with the backpacks, but also need to eat more to stay alive. This is one option, but probably not the best choice.

Another option is prioritizing insulation.   In that case, shear three sheep to make needle + thread and skin the last four to make sheepskins.   Then sew up four loin cloths, eight rabbit shoes, and four rabbit fur hats to produce enough clothing to completely cover four people with around 60% insulation ... or eight people with ~30% insulation ... or sixteen people with 10-20% insulation, depending on how the clothing is distributed.  You even have two extra rabbit hides which can be converted into two more loincloths, four more shoes, or a hat.

The last option would be to split your efforts ... make two backpacks, four sheepskins, five loincloths, eight rabbit shoes, and 4 straw hats.  You will cloth the same number of people at around the same level of insulation, but also provide backpacks for two lucky people.    This is my preference - at least half of the rabbit skins should be going toward clothing unless everyone in your town is wearing clothing and your nursery is littered with extra items of clothing.   When almost everyone has shoes/loincloth, you can switch to making coats/shawls or go hunting wolves and seals for even better gear.   When everyone has great clothing, you can just start stacking up the hides for later.

Keep in mind, all rabbit gear, including backpacks, will eventually decay.   This means that if your town is adequately clothed and you just hunted a bunch of rabbits, it is better to leave the skins on the ground for future generations to use, rather than immediately sewing more backpacks/clothing yourself.   

Also, if you do not have sheep yet, so you are very limited on thread, it is better to make sealskin coat, rabbit hat, or loincloth first.  Don't make shoes if you have very little thread.   But if you have lots of thread and only a limited number of rabbit skins, focus on making loincloth and rabbit shoes.  These are the most important items - they provide the most insulation per skin used and they don't have any better alternatives available from cheaper materials.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-03-01 17:28:55)

Board footer