One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-26 14:24:53

yaira

there should be a locking sound

yesterday a city had lock griefer who locked all 5 doors pretty much instantly.
four doors at nursery
and one door at kitchen

I'd give kudos for his skill and gut.
even after all the hassle, the griefer kept replenishing the wall
without being noticed by anyone..

anyway, how come nobody realized that while FOUR doors were locked???
there should be a locking sound
so that even newbie'd notice something's going on

Last edited by yaira (2019-02-26 14:27:06)

#2 2019-02-26 15:03:45

Strilar

Re: there should be a locking sound

Agreed! I was Loveah and went through the same, walls had to be destroyed so that babies and nurses could get out, i asked around how to make a lock removal thing but noone knew how.

We should close doors to keep warm temperature in, but then it becomes our death trap if a griefer comes and locks us all inside, nothing much we can do against it, and someone breaks down the walls with a pickaxe to rescue us, we won't be able to keep the warm temperature in.

I've seen locked doors in some other life where someone probably attempted to lock people inside buildings too, but it wasn't as bad as this. Any suggestions about what to do?

#3 2019-02-26 15:53:50

DestinyCall

The simplest solution to this problem is to avoid doors entirely.

Build three-sided buildings and leave the fourth side open for access.  The back end of the room will stay nice and warm.  This style of building is seen a lot in farm buildings as simple animal shelters.   As long as the room is deep enough, it works just as good as if you had four walls and a door that people kept leaving open.  Maybe even better, since you can make sure that the flooring extends far enough to protect you and no one has to worry about closed or locked doors.

Another option is switching over to using only pine doors.   This style of door requires more rope to make, but it cannot be locked (at this time).  The extra cost is worth the piece of mind, in my opinion.  But someone could technically still block you inside using various methods.  Especially if the opening is narrow.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-02-26 15:56:40)

#4 2019-02-26 16:24:17

Peremptive

only unlockable door is pine door and it costs 5 rope. So this problem will not go away.

#5 2019-02-26 21:56:35

pein

DestinyCall wrote:

The simplest solution to this problem is to avoid doors entirely.

Build three-sided buildings and leave the fourth side open for access.  The back end of the room will stay nice and warm.  This style of building is seen a lot in farm buildings as simple animal shelters.   As long as the room is deep enough, it works just as good as if you had four walls and a door that people kept leaving open.  Maybe even better, since you can make sure that the flooring extends far enough to protect you and no one has to worry about closed or locked doors.

Another option is switching over to using only pine doors.   This style of door requires more rope to make, but it cannot be locked (at this time).  The extra cost is worth the piece of mind, in my opinion.  But someone could technically still block you inside using various methods.  Especially if the opening is narrow.

you are wrong
the solution is to make a room only from doors
it works as a wall, its connected, you can turn all horizontal or vertical, doesn't matter, even on corner is ok
then if you want, you can move them all

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2019-02-27 00:01:35

Peremptive

doors are pretty expensive compared to walls though...

#7 2019-02-27 04:48:58

DestinyCall

Peremptive wrote:

doors are pretty expensive compared to walls though...

But you can make five wooden doors for the price of one pine door.  So if you want a safe fully enclosed room, going the "maximum doors" route could work out better than adding a couple of pine doors on a traditional structure.

The boards are cheap to produce and milkweed is renewable.  Technically a "wooden" house would be fairly economical.  Hauling large stones for stone walls and adobe/clay/limestone for adobe walls can take a lot of extra time and effort.   Depends on your local resources, of course, but I wouldn't rule out all-door buildings as a viable construction option.

#8 2019-02-27 07:15:54

BladeWoods

I like the locking sound idea. Something loud that everyone nearby hears like when you curse somebody.

#9 2019-02-27 16:57:04

jasonrohrer
Administrator

#10 2019-02-27 19:04:55

Roblor

Yay!

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

Board footer