One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-25 23:45:04

Kirk

Who else thinks there should be a TUTORIAL for the TUTORIAL?

If you're like me, the first time you played the tutorial you probably fumbled around for a bit, lit the torch, and eagerly jumped into the world with other players. You might have noticed there's another area you can go into, but you had no idea what to do in there.

Unfortunately, this is not enough to prepare new players to become productive members of society. New players, bless their hearts, tend to waste resources and get themselves and others killed.

For these reasons, I made a video showing how to craft many of the important items from OHOL, all of which can be practiced in the tutorial! I also show how to escape the tutorial and I even show how to mine a vein of iron.

Show this video to a newb and make all of our lives better. smile

https://youtu.be/LiLjH4HIFSs

Check out my blacksmith/crafting tutorial : https://youtu.be/LiLjH4HIFSs

#2 2019-02-25 23:47:08

Greep

Re: Who else thinks there should be a TUTORIAL for the TUTORIAL?

The tutorial should be a one tile map with a note that says ": watch youtube" wink

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#3 2019-02-26 01:17:43

Spoonwood

Nice video!  This actually makes for a nice video of how to make things from the ground up, without using any advantages that the tutorial area offers.

Here's some more things about that area.  You can complete a stone hatchet and a rabbit snare before you reach the tutorial area.  It's a bit strange to me that there don't exist any curved branches to make a fire bow drill also at present, but that's what we have.  Also, you skipped some boxes.  In particular there's a box with firewood and kindling.  In my opinion, it's worth the time to turn that into a sledge, and then drag it to the smithing area.  That way you can get a large slow fire early on!  Of course though, that won't happen in any settlement starting from scratch.

Also, I think hot coals take two minutes to cool off.  So, you don't need to immediately throw kindling on them to keep a fire going.

I like your two kiln system and you showed off the basic tools.  Well done!

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2019-02-26 01:34:54

pein

seen a streamer die with a cactus nearby, bread on plates and pie in backpack
he went to playing something else

he was french and i was typing english
he was nice, and he wasn't like "oh this game is bad"
more like "oh this game should be fun after you learn it but im so embarassed", he told me that he has 9 hours

i also seen the gen 70 town die out, my sis was making compost so had a good fov and understanding of compost importance but she thought that wool clothing is a hat and doesn't recognize shoes and she starved somehow

lot of us were playing a straight week and die a lot until we learned how to farm and stay alive wherever, but then was simpler

maybe we would need player made challenges, like solo maps
a sandbox where you need to pruduce enough X to go out of a building and people could twin up with mentors to do them

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-02-26 01:38:32

futurebird

pein wrote:

a sandbox where you need to pruduce enough X to go out of a building and people could twin up with mentors to do them

Oh I like this. Make:

6 piles of compost
12 pies
fruit boots
a shovel

in one life. etc.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#6 2019-02-26 01:39:08

Kirk

Spoonwood wrote:

Nice video!  This actually makes for a nice video of how to make things from the ground up, without using any advantages that the tutorial area offers.

Here's some more things about that area.  You can complete a stone hatchet and a rabbit snare before you reach the tutorial area.  It's a bit strange to me that there don't exist any curved branches to make a fire bow drill also at present, but that's what we have.  Also, you skipped some boxes.  In particular there's a box with firewood and kindling.  In my opinion, it's worth the time to turn that into a sledge, and then drag it to the smithing area.  That way you can get a large slow fire early on!  Of course though, that won't happen in any settlement starting from scratch.

Also, I think hot coals take two minutes to cool off.  So, you don't need to immediately throw kindling on them to keep a fire going.

I like your two kiln system and you showed off the basic tools.  Well done!

Hey, thanks Spoonwood! Truth be told, I had totally forgotten about the firewood in that box. And to your second comment, I would agree that if you don't want to restart your fire and you don't have firewood, you should let your coals cook a little before adding another tinder.

Thanks for your feedback, I'm glad you enjoyed the video!:)

#7 2019-02-26 01:41:41

Kirk

pein wrote:

seen a streamer die with a cactus nearby, bread on plates and pie in backpack
he went to playing something else

he was french and i was typing english
he was nice, and he wasn't like "oh this game is bad"
more like "oh this game should be fun after you learn it but im so embarassed", he told me that he has 9 hours

i also seen the gen 70 town die out, my sis was making compost so had a good fov and understanding of compost importance but she thought that wool clothing is a hat and doesn't recognize shoes and she starved somehow

lot of us were playing a straight week and die a lot until we learned how to farm and stay alive wherever, but then was simpler

I couldn't agree more! A sandbox creative mode or challenge mode would be so valuable as a learning tool. I know I would love to play in a singleplayer sandbox where I could experiment with city designs.

#8 2019-02-26 08:33:28

breezeknight

futurebird wrote:
pein wrote:

Oh I like this. Make:

6 piles of compost
12 pies
fruit boots
a shovel

in one life. etc.

that sounds like Steam achievements

#9 2019-02-26 08:37:12

breezeknight

Kirk wrote:

I couldn't agree more! A sandbox creative mode or challenge mode would be so valuable as a learning tool. I know I would love to play in a singleplayer sandbox where I could experiment with city designs.

the game has potential
unfortunately Jason is too busy tinkering on major changes to core mechanics, fancy tech & bugs lol
making everyday life worth the effort ? nah
teaching newbz to live a fun life ? nah
but if you're lucky you might live to a new weapon lol

#10 2019-02-26 08:56:22

Spoonwood

pein wrote:

I'm not sure what you have in mind.  Low population servers exist.  However, do you mean more solo challenge with preset goals, which say the game alerts you when a challenge has gotten achieved?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#11 2019-02-26 18:44:06

Kirk

breezeknight wrote:
Kirk wrote:

the game has potential
unfortunately Jason is too busy tinkering on major changes to core mechanics, fancy tech & bugs lol
making everyday life worth the effort ? nah
teaching newbz to live a fun life ? nah
but if you're lucky you might live to a new weapon lol

Yep. Jason has a lot on his plate, I imagine.
I do think life is worth living in the game. I feel a sense of accomplishment when I make it to old age and have a productive life.
However, the learning curve is really steep in this game, and there aren't a lot of video resources of a tutorial nature.

There is the wiki, of course, but some people aren't very prone to reading. Furthermore, I've noticed many wiki pages are incomplete or incorrect, and that the sheer number of pages dedicated to intermediate items (items that are steps towards the creation of other items) makes for a confusing navigation network.

Hence, my post on this forum and on YouTube.

#12 2019-02-26 19:00:39

Peremptive

futurebird wrote:
pein wrote:

Oh I like this. Make:

6 piles of compost
12 pies
fruit boots
a shovel

in one life. etc.

the mobile version of ohol (not developed by jason) has stuff like that. It seems to have more depth than PC. Honestly Jason should hire a couple of interns and copy off of the mobile version, they got his game for free in the first place.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-26 19:00:51)

#13 2019-02-27 15:50:36

Christoffer
Website

Peremptive wrote:
futurebird wrote:
pein wrote:

Oh I like this. Make:

6 piles of compost
12 pies
fruit boots
a shovel

in one life. etc.

the mobile version of ohol (not developed by jason) has stuff like that. It seems to have more depth than PC. Honestly Jason should hire a couple of interns and copy off of the mobile version, they got his game for free in the first place.

If Jason wants our solo challenges, he won't need interns copying us. We'd happily do it for him for free. I think he wants to keep the whole PC game "Made 100% by Jason" though. He has said no thanks to both code and content contributions from fans up until now.

Last edited by Christoffer (2019-02-27 18:37:48)

Board footer