One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-05 22:04:57

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Solutions to common tech-support problems

I'll be updating this guide periodically as common issues arise.

=> Is your game folder installed in a read-only location?

This is a very common problem on Windows.  The game now detects this problem and warns you.

Known-to-be-safe locations include the Desktop and Downloads folder.

If you think your problems are related to write permission, you MUST reinstall the game from scratch in a new location.

NOTE:
A bug was discovered in v65 that is causing "read only" error messages incorrectly.  If you're struggling with this problem, try downloading v65b for Windows and installing from scratch.

=> Trouble connecting

If your game is getting Login Failed errors or generally not able to connect, you should verify that you are not behind a firewall or web proxy that might be blocking the game's attempts to connect out.  The game connects out on ports 80 and 8005.

If connections are being blocked on Windows, you can find evidence of this in stdout.txt.  The various network requests are logged in there, and you can see that they are hanging or failing.

=> Mac issues

Sadly, the Mac platform has become a real headache in recent years.

Unsigned applications, like One Hour One Life, are sandboxed or blocked from running entirely.  If you have a modern Mac, you are probably aware of the work-arounds to launch unsigned applications (right-click and then Open as opposed to double-click, maybe).

Furthermore, Apple does some kind of strange caching of applications that prevents updates from being applied.  Even after the application is updated with a new version, the old version will still run sometimes.

To work around this issue, I need to make a NEW application after every update.  This is called OneLife_vN, where N is the latest version number---for example, OneLife_v60.  After the update, you must run this new application instead of the old one.  In fact, the old one is no longer runnable.  I try to delete it entirely, but MacOS seems to prevent this from happening.  So a "ghost" application is left behind.  This is very confusing, but I can't find a better solution to this problem.

This is an application that updates itself.  MacOS seems to make this difficult.

=> Stuck in fullscreen (Mac)

Fullscreen doesn't work for some reason on some Macs.  It works on my Mac, so I've been unable to track down this problem and find a solution (Mac developers, if you figure it out, let me know please).

Anyway, the game ships in Windowed mode on Mac for this reason.

If you switch it into Fullscreen mode, it might work.  But if it doesn't work, you'll be unable to get back to the Settings screen.

To fix it, go in your settings folder.  Open fullscreen.ini with TextEdit, and put a 0 in that file.

=> VSYNC issues

You can skip this warning by pressing Y on startup, and you should be okay.  The graphics will be slightly less smooth, but still playable.

If you want it to be visually perfect, you need to figure out how to turn vsync on for your graphics card.  Usually there is some kind of control panel or icon in your system tray that lets you access settings.  The same place where you would change the screen resolution and so on.  Once you've found the graphics card control panel, there should be "3D settings" or something like that, and in there there should be a list of settings.  Anti-aliasing, texture filtering, and that kind of thing.  Somewhere on that list, you should see something called Vsync or Vertical Sync.  There are usually multiple options (On, Off, Adaptive).  You should set it to On or maybe Always On.

After that, the game should stop showing that warning.  Note that if you've already pressed Y to bypass the warning in the past, you can go into SETTINGS from the login screen in the game and RE-DETECT to take advantage of your new vsync settings.

#2 2018-03-10 02:17:38

NIKS YMNI GNIL WARK

Re: Solutions to common tech-support problems

how do you connect to certain servers

#3 2018-03-15 03:16:23

nikooo posted this detailed guide: How to fix the Cannot Open OneLife on MacOSX, on how to fix an app with a binary which isn't executable.

#4 2018-03-22 03:58:12

ElephantStomo

After I update the game it says quit and restart.Which I do it doesn’t work where is the new updated application at?

#5 2018-03-23 07:26:17

Chchalas

I never got a download link to download the game

#6 2018-03-23 07:27:53

Chchalas

Does anybody know what I have to do if I didn’t get the download link for the game after I paid at 3:00A.M. Eastern time on March 22 of 2018

#7 2018-03-23 09:24:04

Joriom
Website

Chchalas wrote:

Does anybody know what I have to do if I didn’t get the download link for the game after I paid at 3:00A.M. Eastern time on March 22 of 2018

Please try refreshig your e-mail inbox. If that does not help - be sure to check spam folder. Some email providers tend to flag usefull messages as spam as well sometimes.
If that does not help - feel free to email Jason directly. He will probably need details of your payment so make sure you have them ready.
You can find Jasons email in the contact details at the bottom of the page: http://hcsoftware.sourceforge.net/jason-rohrer/

#8 2018-03-31 06:58:11

Kenderrr

READ-ONLY LOCATION ISSUE:
I have tried putting it in my download file, documents and in my hard drive and each time it tells me I have it in a read only location. How do I fix this? Is there a setting I need to change?

#9 2018-03-31 08:44:41

LavishFox
Website

Kenderrr wrote:

READ-ONLY LOCATION ISSUE:
I have tried putting it in my download file, documents and in my hard drive and each time it tells me I have it in a read only location. How do I fix this? Is there a setting I need to change?

Right click on the folder, go to properties. Make sure “read only” is not checked

#10 2018-03-31 16:53:03

Kenderrr

This didn't work, it just reverted it back to read only. If it helps, I have windows 10, its apparently an issue and I still can't resolve it.

#11 2018-03-31 17:00:46

Kenderrr

I apologize, seems I was incorrect, the file was NOT read only but I am still unable to launch the game because it's in a read only location. This isn't making sense because the read only box is NOT checked.

#12 2018-04-01 04:36:13

LavishFox
Website

Kenderrr wrote:

I apologize, seems I was incorrect, the file was NOT read only but I am still unable to launch the game because it's in a read only location. This isn't making sense because the read only box is NOT checked.

Not sure it will help but what I had to do was move whole folder to My Documents, adjustment “read only” setting. Another thing you could do is have the .exe file run as administrator. If it turns out to be an issue with windows 10 I can’t help. I refuse to use windows 10 due to security concerns. Hope this helps.

#13 2018-04-01 15:28:52

MrLucid

IMPORTANT NOTE WITH QUESTION: If you are having an SDL.DLL issue. I moved the entire folder "OneLife_v65" from "My Documents" to "Program Files" and the game launched just fine for me. I got the SDL.LL issue because I moved the individual .exe file for the game to a new folder because the game asked me to move the file to a non read only location, and upon trying to open the .exe file afterwards was given the SDL.LL error. I just put the .exe file back into "OneLife_v65" folder, and then moved the entire folder into "Program Files" based on the word of a fellow on the forums in another thread and it worked for me. Am using Windows 7 64 bit

Question: I never had to uninstall and reinstall to get the game to load up. I just bought it today and this was my first load up post update and it updated fine. Am I going to have any issues like Jason mentioned with read only errors? Should I just uninstall and reinstall to be safe? If I uninstall it whats the easiest way to reinstall it?

#14 2018-04-02 08:01:26

vladesch

People having the problem with windows explorer not being able to clear the read-only flag of the folder...
I'll paste what I posted in another thread....

I had the same problem. You need to set the read only attribute from a command shell. It doesn't work from windows explorer.
run cmd.exe.
then use the attrib command as follows
attrib -r foldername

for example I typed in the following:
attrib -r E:\games\one_hour_one_life\OneLife_v65

If that doesn't work, try running the command shell as administrator.

#15 2018-04-03 00:52:10

bluefish16

I have the full screen problem, macOS 10.13.3, the fullscreen.ini document has a 0 in it already, i cannot edit it to add another because it is read only, I was wondering if adding another 0 would even change anything, anyway good job on the game it is quite impressive.

#16 2018-04-03 10:07:04

Verinon1

I get extreme frame lag when in the presence of lots of full containers around me. Everyone and everything moves in slow motion. Game is unplayable when in towns. Is there a fix for this?

#17 2018-04-05 00:10:45

Nimue

Hello i just bought the game and downloaded just fine, i run it and open normaly after i loged in it started to do download an update but get stuck at like 10%, what do i do?

Edit: i checked out other posts and got some information about read only files, i have windows 10 and when i try to uncheck the read only box if i go to proprieties again its still on, man i dont know what to do not good at pc stuff i just wanted to eat some carrots and die by a bear i googled what i can and nothing seems to work, feeling really dumb right now

Last edited by Nimue (2018-04-05 01:22:22)

#18 2018-04-05 04:12:46

Verinon1

Nimue wrote:

Hello i just bought the game and downloaded just fine, i run it and open normaly after i loged in it started to do download an update but get stuck at like 10%, what do i do?

Edit: i checked out other posts and got some information about read only files, i have windows 10 and when i try to uncheck the read only box if i go to proprieties again its still on, man i dont know what to do not good at pc stuff i just wanted to eat some carrots and die by a bear i googled what i can and nothing seems to work, feeling really dumb right now

Sounds like you might need to uninstall OHOL and then re install.

#19 2018-04-05 13:37:10

Nimue

i tried that a bunch of times it didnt work, but nevermind im convinced that my pc is the problem, thanks

#20 2018-04-05 15:32:57

Babipoki

Nimue wrote:

i tried that a bunch of times it didnt work, but nevermind im convinced that my pc is the problem, thanks

Just place the game folder on your Desktop... It's written there on the second paragraph of the first question.

#21 2018-04-05 16:28:24

Nimue

Babipoki wrote:
Nimue wrote:

Just place the game folder on your Desktop... It's written there on the second paragraph of the first question.

indeed already tried that a bunch of times in two different pcs

edit: tried vladesch's solution and it worked finally

Last edited by Nimue (2018-04-05 16:39:14)

#22 2018-04-06 10:49:04

Kobalis

To solve the windows read only problem, I realized in the folder there is a file saying to delete a different file, I was to dumb to remeber what it was, but I deleted it and then the game started no problem

#23 2018-04-07 22:49:48

quaity

Thank you Jason!

#24 2018-04-08 15:04:02

Overhill

vladesch wrote:

People having the problem with windows explorer not being able to clear the read-only flag of the folder...
I'll paste what I posted in another thread....

I had the same problem. You need to set the read only attribute from a command shell. It doesn't work from windows explorer.
run cmd.exe.
then use the attrib command as follows
attrib -r foldername

for example I typed in the following:
attrib -r E:\games\one_hour_one_life\OneLife_v65

If that doesn't work, try running the command shell as administrator.

Thank you, thank you! This was the fix for me.

#25 2018-07-08 18:10:35

Joseph Stalin

it wont update
it never finishes the update do I have to re-install?
reply at
beaubuehler727@gmail.com
thanks

Board footer