One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-23 04:25:49

Portager

Building Camp as a Single Man

I highly doubt that this is an original idea, but lately I have been abandoning hyper-crowded villages that don't seem sustainable/fun as a man and setting off into the wilderness (normally about 15-25 biomes away).  Once there, I proceed to set up a camp with all the essentials...a berry patch, forge, basic kit of tools, a sheep pen etc. before meeting the reaper.

When I am inevitably reborn into the hyper-crowded village a couple of hours later (sometimes less), I retrace my steps back to my other camp. If I am a man, I continue to improve it, if I am a woman then I start a branch family. Although the idea of starting a branch family/"eveing it" is not a new concept, the big difference here is that I already have set myself up with all the essentials and more. Unlike a female character who is burdened with children, as a man I had free reign to do whatever needed to be done.

Once you return to your camp as a female, babies can easily integrate into the new camp without fear of famine, and a massive village can spawn within a generation. This has major benefits over "eveing it" the traditional way of starting a camp as a runaway girl, and when the "/DIE" folks see a decent camp, many of them will decide to stay.

The only drawback is that you might never be reborn into the original village, which would mean that your work was done for nothing.

#2 2019-02-23 04:36:19

Greep

Re: Building Camp as a Single Man

Portager wrote:

The only drawback is that you might never be reborn into the original village, which would mean that your work was done for nothing.

Well this is true of every main server town right?

That said, I like the idea of close suburbs better, though.  You can more easily totally move the entire town over if you wanted, and could maybe even achieve it as a woman.

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#3 2019-02-23 06:48:25

Grim_Arbiter

Greep wrote:
Portager wrote:

Well this is true of every main server town right?

That said, I like the idea of close suburbs better, though.  You can more easily totally move the entire town over if you wanted, and could maybe even achieve it as a woman.

I love when there are two towns are just far enough from each other, but connected by road. It makes them one town without half the population even knowing about the other side existing.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2019-02-23 07:38:13

pein

no big cities were made with the mindset of "doesn't matter" and "im never getting back"
if i make a pen, a player like Tarr comes and is happy, while i got to his city where he did the same for me. it comes naturally, people go for stable state of tools, pen and generally rubber, rooms, etc.

yes, once you above 12-15 population and overall above 6 females, an outpost  is necessary, even if not 10 biomes away just 100 tiles away same biome but some soil/water there

my best example would be an outpost i made after accidentally finding a good cactus farm and tons of ponds near good temp tiles (not a thing anymore)
i made a new civilization while my hometown died out
i took one girl back to main city later
i born back to my camp which advanced to a high level but overpopulated and i moved back to old city with a daughter
the old city had wild food regenerated and all tools to survive the time while others competed for the little food the outpost had
this double swap meant, that i was twice the lone survivor of the lineage and 9 generations were between this 2 lifes. just the knowledge of the 2 camps, made my choice worth 9 generations extra! and a few more after, i don't know about

generally if i made an outpost as girl, my kids stood with me cause they were born there, instead of switching to city life, if they did, they wouldn't been any useful anyway.
the only problem i see now that spots arent differing much, what is the reason to move ? maybe a swamp with a lot of reeds and soil piles near water
you move to keep distance and split load, making a cistern and compost, possibly engine well makes any place with a pond livable
maybe a flat terrain, closeby rabbits

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-02-23 08:22:56

Greep

Well, mainly I'd do it for griefer protection.  Someone raising triplets can tank an entire town, but a close outpost would be able to repopulate it probably. Also, potentially starting with a better town base.  Eves are rushed as hell and make stupid long term choices because of it.  Berry field in weird place, etc.

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

Board footer