One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-02-21 16:43:26

BlueDiamondAvatar

Re: The instant-suicide mod

jasonrohrer wrote:

As far as /die working beyond 1 year.... why?  Isn't 60 seconds enough to make that decision?  And letting a mother care for you for 120 seconds to just /die at the end is cruel...

Greep has already mentioned the long initial map loading time, and spoonwood mentioned watching someone kill the last sheep.  Some other examples that have happened to me... being in an early stage camp that has a few swamp trees nearby, but once your mom gives you a tour you realize there are no ponds.   The other is having a mom that is busy with the forge or rabbit hunting, but then when she stops to name you, calls you Adolf, Hitler, Nazi, or other blatantly racist naming options. Even if the game doesn't officially give me that name, it's a pretty good indicator that I don't want to stick around to play with that person.  In all of these examples I ran to the closest ice biome to starve. 

As a mom, I wouldn't mind having a baby /die anytime in the first three minutes.  It's way better than when they go AFK, and you keep wondering if you are wasting your time nursing them when you could be working more efficiently on your precious life goal(s).

Again, just my two cents, do as you will.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#27 2019-02-21 16:49:42

CatX

Fragility, I have a lot of baby suicides in the nursery as well as if I'm out and about.

When it comes to lacking last names, I've noticed from the family trees that many originate from Eves who do have last names. It would be nice if we could somehow choose to reclaim the original Eve last name if it got lost on the way through the generations.

#28 2019-02-21 18:18:37

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Twisted:

I'm definitely not thrilled about a 1-minute load time.... hmmm....

Have you tested this with a stopwatch?  Can you confirm that if you quit the game and reload, the map load is faster the second time (b/c of a warm disk cache).  Can you confirm that, in order to make the map load slow again, you need to reboot your machine?

Don't you have a beefy gaming rig?  Have you tried SSD vs magnetic to see how that changes things?

If you can get me some more test info here, and real time measurments, please email them to me.

I have the /die currently working any time within the first 2 years (will go live soon), whether held or not.

--It always results in a lineage ban

--If your mother ever held you, even one time, her birth cooldown is reset.

--If she never held you, her birth cooldown remains.

I hear you about the skeletons....  maybe I'll deal with that later.  Let's see how this new system works.

As for why I prevent players for disconnecting, and force them back into the same life....

How else would prisons be possible?  If DC was suicide, any prisoner would just suicide.  As it stands, you can currently feed a prisoner and keep them alive a whole hour.

#29 2019-02-21 18:19:33

BladeWoods

Personally I find shift+delete to be very convenient at least as a baby since I don't have to wait for my mother to pick me up, when abandoned you can move on to the next life instantly, and when searching for a place you like you can search so much faster. So I hope (2) is implemented to replace it.

#30 2019-02-21 19:17:12

Taz

jasonrohrer wrote:

Can you confirm that if you quit the game and reload, the map load is faster the second time (b/c of a warm disk cache).  Can you confirm that, in order to make the map load slow again, you need to reboot your machine?

First load into a server always takes me between 15 seconds to upwards of 1 minute.  All subsequent spawns to the same server happen relatively instantaneously (0-3 seconds).

If I exit the client program and restart it, I have to wait through the first long load again.

#31 2019-02-21 19:28:57

CrazyEddie

jasonrohrer wrote:

I have the /die currently working any time within the first 2 years (will go live soon), whether held or not.

--It always results in a lineage ban

--If your mother ever held you, even one time, her birth cooldown is reset.

--If she never held you, her birth cooldown remains.

My gut tells me this will be a good system, but I guess we'll find out soon enough. Thanks for thinking about these kinds of things!

I would add one more thing: If you /die before, say, ten seconds then her birth cooldown is reset, even if she never held you. It's completely legitimate for a good mother who wants to keep her children to not have a chance to pick them up for five, even ten seconds, if she's in the middle of something critical. If the baby quits before then it shouldn't be a knock against her.

As for why I prevent players for disconnecting, and force them back into the same life.... How else would prisons be possible?

... and this, to you, is a good thing?

Last edited by CrazyEddie (2019-02-21 19:34:22)

#32 2019-02-21 19:30:22

Léonard

jasonrohrer wrote:

How else would prisons be possible?  If DC was suicide, any prisoner would just suicide.  As it stands, you can currently feed a prisoner and keep them alive a whole hour.

So wait, you aren't just trolling me here, are you?
You mean to tell me the only reason you don't give people a proper way to disconnect is because you plan on having "prisons" eventually in the game?

I'm really just thinking you're trolling me here, because the amount of thought that would need to go into this in order to make it work right is unfathomable.
What's required to put someone in jail? If it's not much, it's the worst griefing mechanic this game would ever see.
If it's too much, you would be yet again putting your faith in humanity like you did with knives and honestly that didn't seem to go too well.
If you're thinking of people building jail cells with locks and everything, oh boy. Locks are just terrible right now and building is pretty slow, people will most likely prefer killing grifers over building a whole cell for them.
How would people even be able to force-feed prisoners without having them escape or being in the cell with them constantly?
Why would they bother wasting food and resources over just outright killing their prisoners?

Did you read the recent threads about the curse system? What did you think of that? Is this why you have been so silent on that subject?
Were you just silently planning a prison update all along as a response to those threads?

If I'm not just being trolled, I'm very, very curious on this.
What's your vision exactly? Do you expect a police force to arise from fully developed towns?
Isn't this going to take us billions of updates to get there (and we're better off with proper disconnection until then just like we have the curse system right now instead of prisons)?
Is it going to obsolete the curse system completely?

#33 2019-02-21 19:41:32

Twisted

Taz wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Can you confirm that if you quit the game and reload, the map load is faster the second time (b/c of a warm disk cache).  Can you confirm that, in order to make the map load slow again, you need to reboot your machine?

First load into a server always takes me between 15 seconds to upwards of 1 minute.  All subsequent spawns to the same server happen relatively instantaneously (0-3 seconds).

If I exit the client program and restart it, I have to wait through the first long load again.

Same, the first load after launching is always very long. If I spawn in as a baby I will always have 5+ food pips if I survive that long. Subsequent loads are faster, but if I quit and relaunch the first load will be long again. I've actually gotten into the habbit of spawning into the tutorial before playing the game, just to get the slow load out of the way.

I did time it a few times, and one minute from pressing login to actually loading in is not an exaggeration. I have a decently beefy rig but I don't have an SSD. I'll do some testing tomorrow and I'll email you the results.

#34 2019-02-21 19:49:19

Spoonwood

I agree with Eddie in that I don't see how prisons could be a good idea in this game.

Locking someone up, at least in enough countries, require trials.  We have things like the presumption of innocence and the right to a fair trial in the United States.  Trials and proper due process of law take time to even get close to right.  Simply put, fair procedure is not possible to implement within the scope of this game.  When murders or curses happen things often slow down enough.  A bunch of people stand around trying to figure out whether or not to curse someone or if the murder was justified.  Prisons would be even worse in that respect, because things like rules of evidence would get needed, we'd need a judge and a jury, and lawyers.  Or prisons would have "show trials" which I don't think much better than witch hunts.

People being able to quit when they choose comes as the way to go.  And really, does anyone want to play a game when they don't have control over when their character stops?  Maybe you want to play a game where you don't have an 'off' button Jason, but if you do, I think that's a rather rare taste.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#35 2019-02-21 20:07:22

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Weird!

Well, for me, the warm disk cache changes everything, but that's on Linux.  Maybe on Windows, the disk cache is flushed when the app exits?  Let me test it.

I'm particularly concerned about this problem, because it's only going to get worse as there are more sprites in the game...

On my end (not so beefy gaming rig with a magnetic HD, Windows 7);

First load (cold disk cache):  12 seconds, but it looked like I was in the wilderness that time.

Second load (warm disk cache):  4 seconds, this time into a big city.

Third load (warm):  3.5 seconds (busy camp)

Quit client.

Fourth load:  3.5 sec (same busy camp)

So yes, warm disk cache still helps.

The only way to clear the cache, it seems, is rebooting.... after rebooting, I see:

Fifth load (cold cache):  13.47 sec

Sixth load (warm cache): 3.51 sec

Quit client

Seventh load (warm cache):  3.74 sec

#36 2019-02-21 20:17:13

Tarr
Banned

I mean the thought of prisons is certainly interesting, not sure of how much good they would do and if they wouldn't be abused more than used for their actual purpose.

Pros of a prison:
-Griefers can actually be punished when caught vs only a threat of punishment through donkey town.
-Griefers imprisoned would be more likely to be mass cursed increasing their chance of being sent to donkey town after.
-Griefers can be stopped from circulating throughout the villages as they'll be stuck in one spot until freed, killed, or die of old age.
-Minor issues can be treated without use of lethal force to fix the issue "Sheared the last sheep three times, five minutes in the box."
-Sets the stage for baby slings and multiple person transport by having Jason code a way to connect two players.
-Trolls must either cause damage and kill themselves or risk being trapped which means the troll leaves your village one way or another.
-Adds drama like Jason likes.

Cons of prisons:
-New players, or innocent players will be abused by any system that allows them to be trapped unfairly.
-Innocent players run a higher risk of DT visits through false imprisonment.
-Wastes food on keeping people who can just afk while feeding.
-Encourages trapping women to ensure healthy population numbers.
-Starvation cells for either babies or adults.
-Trolls become more subtle in their tactics making them harder to catch overall.

Anyways I do find the idea interesting but it has such a long list of negatives that definitely outweigh any positives a prison system could bring. Though I certainly do remember people talking about prisons before donkey town was released in the first place.

fug it’s Tarr.

#37 2019-02-21 20:25:26

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, I'm serious about the prisons, not joking.

I'm not planning to add anything to make prisons happen.  You currently have all the tools you need with walls, doors, and locks.  In terms of preventing escape, well, an air lock is possible.  But if there is an escape, that would be pretty amazing.  A prison break, in the game?

And while I realize that time is a limited resource here, you act like the existing legal structures and procedures were handed down from god.  People started with nothing, and came up with those structures and procedures over thousands of years.  Under different circumstances (like in this game), different structures and procedures might emerge.

But "justice" itself is only a matter of consensus.  If someone is truly imprisoned injustly, there's nothing that can stop the masses from setting that person free.  Same is true in this game.  If you feel bad for the prisoner, perhaps you might look for an opportunity to help them break out.

Anyway, in terms of police, yes, that is part of my vision for the game, and there have been glimmers of police patrols in the game already (that's what the blue clothing was for).  People do already limit who is allowed to have weapons in the game, so there are rules forming, and a monopoly on violence.

I also envision wars between villages.

A lot of this stuff may never emerge, but I'm going to at least keep those doors open.

Most of this game was motivated by this:

In examining other multiplayer survival games, why do we never see SOCIETY emerge?  Laws, trade, property rights, banking, specialization, etc...

My hypothesis is that it's because DEATH has no meaning in those other games.  Society is a reaction to the reality of death.  Without death, "Stop or we'll shoot" has no meaning.  Thus, there can be no laws or police.  Without death, why would you pay a 100% markup for bananas from South America instead of just making the trip yourself?  You have infinite time, after all.

So, this is the first multiplayer survival game where death has meaning, because there is no direct "respawn."  If the police say, "Stop or we'll shoot," you can't just take the bullet and the respawn to resume your mischief.  The fact that you can be kept alive against your will is an extension of that, which allows social structures like imprisonment and slavery.

Now, before you say, "Gasp!  Jason, you evil fellow, why would you want to make a game where slavery is possible?"  Slavery still exists in the world today.  Forced labor is still widespread.  I want to make a game where anything is possible, in terms of social structure, and it's totally up to the players.  This makes for a huge variety of dramatic stories.  Imagine being born as the child of a slave, and then escaping from your master when you grow up....  This is a work of fiction.  "Slavery" in the game isn't the same as real slavery.  Injustice and murder in the game are not real injustice or real murder.  Corrupt police in the game are not actually corrupt police.

All that said, I'm sad to say that life is just not precious enough in the game, so many of these things will probably never come to pass.  A would-be murderer or thief does not actually fear for their life in the game, because respawning is cheap enough that it really doesn't matter too much.  Yes, they can't come right back to the same situation, but they can keep playing....  That is in part why curses were added, but they undermine some of the other social situations in the game (like, what to do with a murderer).

The original working title for the game was "One Dollar One Hour One Life."  That would have worked better.  But it would have been commercial suicide, I think.

One thing that I might add, that would at least make prisons more likely, is some form of non-lethal force.  Clubbing or something like that.

#38 2019-02-21 20:43:09

Twisted

Just did some testing, keep in mind I already played OHOL a couple of hours ago and I didn't restart my PC in the meantime, I also used the Steam version, Windows 10.

I timed it from pressing the get reborn button.

First load: 50sec (town)
Second load: 5sec (tiny camp)
Third load: 6 sec (bigger town)
Fourth load: 4 sec (town)
Fifth load: 4 sec (wilderness)

Quit the game, relaunched

Sixth load: 6 sec (town)

Quit the game, waited ~5 minutes, relaunched

Seventh load: 5 sec (wilderness)
Eight load, switched to different server: 3 sec (Eve)

So yes, it does appear to be a cold cache issue, and although I could swear that quitting the game or changing the default server used to make the initial load time longer, I could be mistaken.

I also want to point out that I am launching the game from a separate HDD that mainly has video games and launchers on it. It is not my main drive, that could be part of the problem.

#39 2019-02-21 20:48:13

CatX

For a prison to be a prison, there must be a way to apprehend someone, and currently that's not possible in the game. Even kids can jump out of your arms.

What we have with the doors, walls, and locks are traps, and I've only seen them used by griefers who lock up unsuspecting innocent people. Like a whole room of mothers and babies.

#40 2019-02-21 20:54:42

DestinyCall

Ah, so when you say "prison", you are not talking about a place where we could put griefers so they stop bothering the village.   You are talking about a bakery with a locked door and the griefer is on the outside, laughing at the frantic people trapped inside.

Gotcha.

Incidentally, I don't think we have all the necessary tools right now to make a functioning prison.  Sure, we can make a room that cannot be escaped and trap someone inside it.  In fact, I've managed to "imprison" myself in a crowded sheep pen by accident more than once.  But if you want to see villages with police and prison cells built for the purpose of punishing wrong doers, you need to provide a few more "tools" for the job.  Specifically, there needs to be a way to immobilize and transport an adult against his/her will.  Griefers will not enter a prison cell by choice.   Right now, the only players that can be effectively imprisoned are infants, since they can be picked up and carried into the cell by their mother.

Not a fan of this idea, for the record, but if this is something you want, consider adding a billy club to the game, as an alternative to the knife.

#41 2019-02-21 21:44:32

Tarr
Banned

DestinyCall wrote:

Ah, so when you say "prison", you are not talking about a place where we could put griefers so they stop bothering the village.   You are talking about a bakery with a locked door and the griefer is on the outside, laughing at the frantic people trapped inside.

Gotcha.

Incidentally, I don't think we have all the necessary tools right now to make a functioning prison.  Sure, we can make a room that cannot be escaped and trap someone inside it.  In fact, I've managed to "imprison" myself in a crowded sheep pen by accident more than once.  But if you want to see villages with police and prison cells built for the purpose of punishing wrong doers, you need to provide a few more "tools" for the job.  Specifically, there needs to be a way to immobilize and transport an adult against his/her will.  Griefers will not enter a prison cell by choice.   Right now, the only players that can be effectively imprisoned are infants, since they can be picked up and carried into the cell by their mother.

Not a fan of this idea, for the record, but if this is something you want, consider adding a billy club to the game, as an alternative to the knife.

I mean the stuff we need for prisons are also stuff that can be applied to other things. Once he codes something like connecting two players via a lasso that means we can finally see stuff like baby slings (a much requested item) and multiple person transport (excellent update option.) We have the tools to create inescapable prisons (newcomen towers) or regular prisons via door locking and what not. While this system can definitely be used for griefing and what not the opposite is also true. We solve our issue of dropping trolls on other villages while also making sure griefers who get caught punished. Murder becomes more than just a murder fest as you have the option to just lock someone up and see why someone else was stabbed.

fug it’s Tarr.

#42 2019-02-21 21:52:09

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, Twisted, that sounds like normal behavior.  Is that an external HDD, like USB?

There may be some optimizations here, where the sprites are packed into one big file and loaded in order (so the future parts of the file get pre-cached).  However, the client is currently only loading the sprites that are needed in the current section of the map that you're in, so it will be hard to put them in a "good" order for all cases.  And random access to one big file won't be any better than separate files, I don't think.

I suppose that sprites that go together in one object could be grouped on disk.  That might help.

#43 2019-02-21 22:10:50

Twisted

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yeah, Twisted, that sounds like normal behavior.  Is that an external HDD, like USB?

It's an internal SATA 7200rpm HDD.

#44 2019-02-21 22:24:03

Luniatji

First load on my laptop (from 2010) makes me already 1 when spawned in. So I can't use /die anymore then.

That said, first load on my pc makes me 0, but in the weekend I dont have access to that.

I can use /die when my mom pick me up and when 0, but:

I use shift+delete die as option, by three different reasons:
- My mom doesn't pick me up
- I'm already 1 when loaded in
- I don't want a lineage ban.

With AWBZ's mod I see how many fertile woman/other girls there are. If there are like twenty-five in total, I'm not staying as baby. So I can do /die when  0, but am stuck when already 1. Unless I shift+delete.

On the other hand, I try to mostly play as woman in smallish towns. Meaning that if I'm a boy I most of the times suicide. But I can't /die because I then can't come back to that lineage. So I shift+delete.

A while back I suggest to make the /die for everyone available, on all ages. (So not only for babies, but also for adults. Eves for example.) and let them /die where they stand; without having to be picked up. Problem with that implemented and the shift+delete disabled, is that you can't go out of a lineage without lineage banning yourself..

So I would prefer to give all people the shift+delete option, what someone else also opted. That beside the /die, but with the mom not having a babystop for a while (like what /die does, the mom can give birth imediate). That way you don't punish moms who wanted their babies, but also don't punish babies who don't wanted there situation (gender of place of birth).

#45 2019-02-21 22:32:05

fragilityh14

jasonrohrer wrote:

As for why I prevent players for disconnecting, and force them back into the same life....

This may be near impossible to work in, i love how you think. In a way, the lineage ban can just give a griefer an opportunity to destroy every lineage. I like things like Donkey Town where they are forced to spend time in game doing different things.

We do have lassos, i suppose it would be easy enough to be able to rope someone who has just murdered.

I think any way you might implement this would have a ton of problems, but I see the appeal and the utility.

the big problem, of course, is that if the person wants to die, you have to feed him, you cant just like, set down a basket of pies. At the same time, the person might want to escape and cause more problems, so maybe he'd stay alive for that purpose.

Even if the player isn't there, just keeping them from a new login for 30 minutes might be enough to send them to a different activity.

Food actually isn't very scarce in cities in this game, people are just irresponsible. If you were to make exporting mutton pies as a goal, and were efficiently growing, composting, and baking, like 4 people could probably feed 40. Or 4 + a toddler tending the gooseberries. So feeding a griefer for the rest of his life is not a huge expense. And I mean, in the real world keeping murderers alive is "inefficient" compare to just shooting them in the head, from a purely "mouths to feed" perspective.

maybe you could also chain people and give them a certain distance they can go, so you can make the convicts tend the berry fields. Of course, that is essentially allowing for slavery. So we have to ask ourselves, do we want slavery in this game? IMO, yes, yes we do.

Edit: I want to add, bear in mind, with slavery would come escaping from slavery and slave revolts

Last edited by fragilityh14 (2019-02-21 22:38:38)

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#46 2019-02-21 22:33:34

Grim_Arbiter

jasonrohrer wrote:

Anyway, in terms of police, yes, that is part of my vision for the game, and there have been glimmers of police patrols in the game already (that's what the blue clothing was for).  People do already limit who is allowed to have weapons in the game, so there are rules forming, and a monopoly on violence.

I also envision wars between villages.

A lot of this stuff may never emerge, but I'm going to at least keep those doors open.

I hope this means more dye in the future smile

I could imagine some sort of war between colors like green against the purples!

The other game I heavily play is a ww2 mod for a fps game, and I've had dreams where OHOL characters were running around wearing German and American helmets haha.

Also my worst cold cache start is probably only 12 to 15 seconds, and my computer specs are almost below average now.

Last edited by Grim_Arbiter (2019-02-21 22:38:08)

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#47 2019-02-21 22:45:13

wondaland

i like the idea of prisons, as Jason has said it adds and air of drama which certainly makes larger towns more interesting. Obviously a few things do need to be added to optimise this such as clubs or some for of handcuffs. But for now being able to punish someone who uses the insta death mod it a start. Though a tad unfortunate for those who are older in game and just feel its time to move on.

For example I had a life where I lived to 40 then decided to die because the town was functioning well and believed I could be more help elsewhere. I don't like the idea of punishing players who use the command for reasons such as that.

But babies who run or use the command should be punished. If you /die in your mothers arms she can easily carry your bones away and has her birth timer reset. Definitely think if the mentioned changes are implemented (being able to /die on ground) you shouldn't leave any bones. Other than that this is a step in the right direction. Will make it easy to confirm that runners are griefers who just want to annoy mothers. there is no reason to run, sure you make bones right now, but if that is remedied there will be no cause for it.

#48 2019-02-21 23:24:30

jasonrohrer
Administrator

After the update, /DIE will work up to age 2, to help people who have slow hard drives.

Some of the largest sprites in the game are natural objects (trees, etc.), and those usually need to be loaded always.

I suppose I could make a "natural object sprite pak" and slurp them all in from one huge file.

There is some complexity to code that, though....  hmmm....

Also, sprites are not currently compressed on disk.  Often, its counter-intuitive, but compressed data loads faster (because the HD access for larger data is so much slower than the decompression alg).

But the idea is that, with 10K objects (eventually), they won't all be able to be loaded into VRAM at the same time.  So they are only loaded as-needed.

This makes me hesitant to put them all in one big compressed file and load the whole thing at startup.

#49 2019-02-21 23:33:39

Sanshuba

fragilityh14 wrote:

I'd like a meta control for this, like you get 3 /dies per hour of gameplay, or something.

I disagree. In my opinion, people should be free to choose where they will live. For instance, I am bored with playing on big towns. So last week I always /die when I born on a big town, I am just playing as an Eve or on a small village. I like it, I am bored with a type of gaming, but I can choose another, and it is cool. If I had only 3 /die probably I won’t play the game for some weeks, because I’ve played a lot on big towns and I’m tired.

And I do agree with being able to /die without being hold by anyone. Because, a lot of times, my mother is hunting or doing something in the wild and lets me to die (or doesn’t see me).

I really don’t have problems with suicidal babies anymore, since it's affecting my baby cooldown. When some baby /die, I have another one some seconds later. And it is brilliant, they will only play with me if they want to, so they can do a good work. If they are forced to play with me, the game won’t be fun and people will stop playing.

#50 2019-02-21 23:46:25

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Loading the tutorial seems to load 304/1842 sprites.

But loading into a busy town loads 1319/1842 sprites.

Maybe I'm fooling myself about the VRAM saved by not loading the whole sprites set.

The entire sprite bank is currently 56 MB uncompressed.  I'm assuming that most graphics cards have room for 10x that much data.

And compressed, the sprite bank is currently 6 MB.... yikes, that's tiny.

So yeah, it seems worth it to move toward slurping in the whole thing at startup, and then the map will load instantly.

I wonder what part of the map load time is also sounds.... they are currently 20MB uncompressed, and 16 MB compressed (a lot less compressible than images).  Should probably do the same thing with those.

Game is currently using 168MB of non-VRAM when loaded into the tutorial, and 130MB when on the login screen with no sprites or sounds loaded.

Board footer