One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-21 01:46:07

fragilityh14

Map size

How does the map size work? I had assumed the world was round or there was some sort of wall. I started in a village and ran away with a backpack of carrots at around age 8, i stopped seeing consistent signs of humans 10-15 minutes north, and that was just some eaten berries. Didn't see anything besides that. Curiously, none of the rabbit holes were families, which makes me wonder if they were recently generated as I got close enough.

Is the idea that the frontier just keeps continuing to expand? I mean, presumably once anyone is out there at least people can keep spawning. I had one baby pretty far out, I think it ultimately decided to suicide, but did make it to toddler age so maybe settled out there. i saw some really cool spots.

I think in the future I may run away as a young girl with a backpack and try to settle in a nice spot that pretty far past everyone. I saw some good spots that had like 8-10 berries in close proximity and a lot of milkweed, but I was determined to keep running, even though after about 25 minutes I was sure the direction home wasn't going to start pointing the other way.

I forgot to stop my stopwatch when I died, but I was mostly just running (and stopping to forage etc) for like 50 minutes...

Anyway, so no idea how it works now.

(btw, usually i'm really helpful and don't just steal things and run off, but I was determined to see how big the world was..and now am only posting this qestion because I didn't find out, and because I don't know if it's useful to pioneer new outlying areas)

I swear I read there was a new biome a week or so ago, but you had to go far out to find it...I ran for an actual lifetime and didn't see anything new lol.

I'm thinking there's a limited zone feral eves spawn in but the map is much, much bigger? I mean, once anyone's out there people keep spawning out there...

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#2 2018-03-21 02:01:51

yvanhooe

Re: Map size

The map is presumably procedurally generated. It is flat and for all purposes, infinite. Jason calculated you would have to run during 14 ACTUAL years to reach the end of it. Another person calculated that it is therefore bigger than Jupiter and much bigger than Earth.

Eves spawn a bit at random, but it looks like they will spawn next to the average center of manufactured objects, so if you start a second civilization center, Eves would spawn in between the two. On server 3 the center had moved once and we had lost the original cities. Now it is back to where they are.

#3 2018-03-21 03:23:56

fragilityh14

Well, i can't help but feeling i wasted a life and equipment then, though I guess I moved civilization a miniscule amount further out. This does mean that there will always be a frontier, which is important for the scarcity aspect. I definitely may intentionally expand things in some instances.

the servers are clearly quite varying in their development too, but I like being a new settler on land. i feel good if i can get fire and crops and clothes in one lifetime so the next person is good to start a village.

Listen to your mom!

#4 2018-03-21 06:02:59

Joriom
Website

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … pid=16#p16

jasonrohrer wrote:

And the map has plenty of room for this.  It's larger than 30,000 times the surface area of planet Earth and would take more than 34 continuous, real-world years to walk from one edge to the other.

#5 2018-03-21 16:19:24

fragilityh14

Ok, well this question is driving me crazy now:

Why are there no rabbit families in the wild? Every rabbit hole had a single rabbit!

I'm guessing the landscape isn't generated until a player is within a certain distance of it, and from there it takes a certain amount of time for the rabbit baby to spawn?

And when you snare single rabbits are they truly PERMANENTLY gone, or just for like 24 hours or whatever?

I'm honestly kind of skeptical that the various trail of breadcrumbs I left in the wilds (just leaving random sharpened stones etc so if anyone else sees it they know a human has been there) will actually remain there, but with the size of the map it's also possible literally no one will ever see any of it if it is still there, and I don't know at what point or ever stuff like that despawns. The game got substantially laggier when I got farther out, which I assume had to do with it being newly generated land, or something.

I feel kind of bad that my fur suit and backpack will probably literally never be found lol (I don't know when that despawns, but if the civilization , but I'm a pretty avid rabbit catcher/clothesmaker so whatever.

I don't really understand the point of making the game world 30,000x the size of earth, i mean, that seems like wasted server space...but at the same time I guess presumably nothing is actually there that's just the limit of how far it's supposed to grow? Is the land just in existence now because I saw it? I know in a world where data is measured in terabytes none of this is that storage intensive...still...

I should report, I found some amazing campsites out there, like 10 gooseberries right together around the other resources you need. But there's no good reason to make camp a 25 minutes run, as apparently it may be a very long time if ever before people find it.

Listen to your mom!

#6 2018-03-21 16:51:55

Joriom
Website

Considering Rabbit Families:
I believe map to generate with families straight away. If they were single - they must've been already trapped before. I might be wrong about this though.
What I'm sure though is the time it takes for holes to change states.
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#1 … t%2Csingle
It takes 600 seconds for a Rabbit Hole (single) to change into Rabbit Hole (family)
Also after you snare Rabbit Family it takes 60 minutes to regrow the Rabbit Hole (single) - so to snare the hole again, you need to wait 70 minutes (60 to regrow, 10 to get family).
Snaring the Single Rabbits changes to rabbit hole to Abandoned Rabbit Hole which literaly NEVER regrows. The rabbit is permanently gone. No timers here. Thats what this game is all about.

About breadcrumbs:
While it is almost impossible for you to find those again, or to expect any one particular single person to find them - Its not impossible for "humanity" as the collective to find those. Remember that wold is big, but the ammout of players compensates for that. You're not alone in your search!

Your items lost:
If you died with them ON you - they will probably despawn with the corpse after some time. Not sure about exact timers here. Might be 6 hours or 2 days. Something like that.
If you got naked and left items on the ground - they'll stay there permanently, or at least untill some update brings item decay of those too. At the moment only some organic items despawn like wheat seeds, milkweed seeds, straw, berries, berry seeds, reeds, etc.

Map size:
The map is proceduraly generated. That means it does not to exist in its entirety as "generated" data. Few simple math calculations can tell you what is the initial state of any area in the map. Whenever player explores areas that are not yet stored in the database - they get generated on the fly and stored along with any modyfications made. So you're right thinking about it as "limit of how far it's supposed to grow". You are also right about the fact that simple fact of exploring new areas "brings them to life" and increases the size of database. (that might actually be partially wrong - database might actually only store the MODIFIED tiles, as ones that were explored but left untouched can still be discarded and regenerated again by the algorithm later on).
The size of map was also not decided uppon for any particular reason. I believe we should consider map simply as "unlimited" - the only limitation being technical reasons. We can't have really unlimited stuff in field of computer science smile Its all just fancy tricks to make users feel like that.

Reporting amazing camps:
While it might be nice to find great places for starting civilizations - please remember that most natural resources like berries or milkweed are only usefull in early stages. With growing population you need to plant your own plants, keep your own sheep, etc. We also has a small conversation in out small group of players from server 11 that... green lands but also"badlands" (the dark rocky area with iron ore, stones and bears) might be the best areas to set up a real town after the first village. Reason being - the least ammount of "permanent tile blockers" that limit your design of buildings. (Swamps have ponds and reeds, plains have rabbit holes, snow has ice holes). Basically - sprawling town removes all natural resources just to have space to grow (including digging berries and milkweed plants, cutting down usefull trees, etc).

#7 2018-03-22 00:48:55

fragilityh14

Those are all good points, regarding the rabbits I KNOW no one had been there, as I had not seen evidence of anyone for like 20 minutes. I imagine they started to exist as single rabbits and had been there for less than 10 minutes

And I suppose I should have taken the clothes off, though by the time it were to expand that far there's no chance clothes will be in short supply lol, i imagine only the mountain men of the era will wear rabbit.

Listen to your mom!

#8 2018-03-22 05:10:25

Joriom
Website

fragilityh14 wrote:

And I suppose I should have taken the clothes off, though by the time it were to expand that far there's no chance clothes will be in short supply lol, i imagine only the mountain men of the era will wear rabbit.

Actually - the previous quote from Jason is taken from a largers conversation about game as a whole and talks exacly about that.

jasonrohrer wrote:

However, players looking for a "simple" life can always wander away from the center of civilization into the wilderness.  There are no fixed "ages" in the game, and different tech levels can exists simultaneously in different pockets of the map, just like real life.

And the map has plenty of room for this.  It's larger than 30,000 times the surface area of planet Earth and would take more than 34 continuous, real-world years to walk from one edge to the other.

So even if we have modern or future tech in one part of the map - there will be tribes learning how to start fire and hunt rabbits in other parts.
Just like in real life - compare our "modern" standards of big cities to tribes living in african plains or south american rain forests.

Hell - the entire human history is based on more advanced cvililizations raiding and killing the less advanced ones for resources. Rome vs "barbarians" throughout entire europe. Europeans hunting population of Africa for black slaves. Europeans vs Indians (and other local civs) in America. USA bringing "peace" to Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia, Libya, Syria......

#9 2018-03-22 15:26:25

Babsy

Interesting read. I didn't know the map was setup in this way.

#10 2018-03-22 16:05:29

sammoh

Two Hours, One Life - a curated OHOL server with heavy modifications.

Discord:     https://discord.gg/atEgxm7
Address:          https://github.com/frankvalentine/clients

Board footer