One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-18 19:40:48

yaira

The Most Efficient Town Organization.PNG ...need your opinion!

I made related working area as close as possible
and... this is the most efficient way to organize a town, in my opinion
what do you think about this?

1. Building 8x8 rooms
FluxBB bbcode test
* "crops" includes corn, bean, squash, cabbage, potato, and skewer

Room insulation works when door is closed but people constantly come and go...
This way, only with 2 doors, you can still quickly go to related working area!
Griefer can lock a door so make them pinedoors.
Kidzone has a constant fire going  (located 1 tile top left from middle??)
Room should be completely floored so avoid unremovable items. (pond, sandpile, rabbit, cactus)
*Berry farm can't have floors so room insulation may not worth it.

*CrazyEddie explained that floor plays bigger role in room insulation (4 times better than a wall)
so don't bother making walls.
If you don't have wall restriction, this will be the better efficient town organization.

2. Without building restriction
FluxBB bbcode test

cistern next to main forge and milkweed,
place doctor and kidzone farther from forge, but close to fire,
place every odds and ends that needs hotcoal at the corner of town,
with secondary forge and oven... and so on

How would you change it to be more efficient and perfect?
you can use powerpoint with text box
or just tell me, I'll change the diagram and show you

?? If rooms are connected like 1st diagram,
will room insulation work with open door in the middle?
if you put fire next to the open door?

?? If you make room bigger than 8x8, does room insulation still work around the fire?

?? pein showed a new way
FluxBB bbcode test
This is from post 'The New Temperature System, Explained Simply'
the corner of 8x8 room is open. so room insulation doesn't work.
but if it provides heat similar to room insulation, it might be a good alternative.
(because people always let doors open)  Will it be better?

plz tell me anyother new info and alternative ways!!

Last edited by yaira (2019-02-18 21:11:09)

#2 2019-02-18 19:41:57

Roblor

Re: The Most Efficient Town Organization.PNG ...need your opinion!

Need moar doors

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#3 2019-02-18 19:54:22

stew

first image is cool, I was thinking about something myself, but you have much more details!

Last image, why does this not work?

#4 2019-02-18 20:04:35

antking:]#

what's with the goose?

but I like the idea, of having a centralized base made up of rooms, and a small thought, instead of having more doors, why don't we put locks on all doors but the same type of lock and key so that greifers can put a random locks on doors! so all doors have need key a to open

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#5 2019-02-18 20:08:28

JoshuaN

I would suggest not building a large berry farm. A 4x4 berry farm surrounded by 2 tiles of bear rugs / wood floors on each side and walls provides a greater insulation than nothing at all. We really need to move away from just eating berries rather then their primary uses of compost, thread, wool, and medicine. Nobody new even bothers to learn yum bonus chain when there's a 20x20 berry patch. Where you would place compost and the like in a berry farm you can floor in with wooden boards and wall off, maybe even leave a square in the desert to provide free heating. You would want to put wooden boxes on these desert tiles though because if a door opens and someone is standing on the desert it would spell disaster. In fact walling off a larger section of desert and barricading those tiles with boxes (for storage) while leaving a large floor space behind it on desert may work even better for heating. Idk if you want to floor those desert tiles though...

btw has anyone considered making 1x2 heat chamber with surrounding 3x4 wall/doors to try to get a perfect temperature before entering a desert?
The perfect ratio might not be 1 : 1 cold / hot... I haven't tested.

Last edited by JoshuaN (2019-02-18 20:18:03)

Sustenance~   ( ・・)つ―{}@{}@{}-

#6 2019-02-18 20:12:45

yaira

putting A key to all doors would be nice!
but what would be more costly? locked door or pine door?

I agree, we don't need a big berry farm. it's just that... there are too many newbies right now
I also prefer this

FluxBB bbcode test

Last edited by yaira (2019-02-18 21:14:21)

#7 2019-02-18 20:17:24

Tarr
Banned

Just go with normal doors until very late game where you can afford to put together a plane. At that point rope is incredibly easy to mass produce due to cracking tutorial cells for resources and what not. I didn't personally lock any of my doors since nothing within the multiple room building I put together. If you don't mind people occasionally stealing one of your storage boxes for a cart sledges are better than chests. Chests will be locked by trolls or destroyed by someone with an axe. A sledge can both be moved and walked on which allowed for shifting the room around if you don't like the current layout.

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2019-02-18 20:21:02

JoshuaN

Tarr wrote:

Just go with normal doors until very late game where you can afford to put together a plane. At that point rope is incredibly easy to mass produce due to cracking tutorial cells for resources and what not.

Tutorial cells are in the same world??? Why is that a thing... that's so broken.

#9 2019-02-18 20:25:31

Tarr
Banned

JoshuaN wrote:
Tarr wrote:

Just go with normal doors until very late game where you can afford to put together a plane. At that point rope is incredibly easy to mass produce due to cracking tutorial cells for resources and what not.

Tutorial cells are in the same world??? Why is that a thing... that's so broken.

Requires you to spend 20 minutes breaking out and setting up a landing strip and for someone to make (and not lose) the airplane. While it has high payoff most planes probably barely break even if kept anywhere someone can find it since people who don't use planes will get the thing stuck out there. Either that or people suicide after flying to the tutorial with no gas.

So yes, it's pretty OP if you know how to abuse the tutorial however, most if not all planes will eventually be hijacked and lost in the tutorial because people want to play with expensive toys without getting an explanation on how they work.

fug it’s Tarr.

#10 2019-02-18 20:31:09

yaira

JoshuaN wrote:

maybe even leave a square in the desert to provide free heating. You would want to put wooden boxes on these desert tiles though because if a door opens and someone is standing on the desert it would spell disaster.

?? what do you mean? what can a wooden box do?
desert heat doesn't work like that anymore. you cannot gain safe heat from desert
(unless you're at optimal temperature before entering desert)

Last edited by yaira (2019-02-18 20:37:27)

#11 2019-02-18 20:35:20

JoshuaN

I mean that you use a wall of wooden boxes so that people do not step into the desert by accident...
you contain a piece of desert inside your room, this balances out the heat in the room when you close the door. I.e. The whole room becomes a "biome border" like there use to be.

GWg54jd.png

Last edited by JoshuaN (2019-02-18 20:42:33)

#12 2019-02-18 20:44:36

Maggie1Life

I am recently thinking that we should have an area for yum chain in town. It's good to see you already considered that!

#13 2019-02-18 21:35:38

pein

nah bruh, the one i made was just a mimic to put the door outside 8x8
its technically closed, just hard to manage those tiles and i don't have a way of boarding to wall, that's a half tile ingame
i oculd just too much work for nothing

the center of 8x8 is position 5-5 from top left, every time door opens, the only safe place from it, is other corner of room as your 8x8 is only 4x4 in top left corner
you still lose the room heat but outside room it isn't in your airspace so doors go bot right 1 away from corner

PHG7jfS.jpg

squares got the most efficient free tile/wall ratio

this small storage airlocks allow people to get resources in and out as long as they close outside door or middle door, so if you just go in for a pie, you can leave without entering
if you bring resources you can put items from cart into box/sledge then go out

babies in bakery and pies there means everyone opens doors all the time

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2019-02-18 22:34:57

JoshuaN

I LOVE this design pein. I hope to see it in game! Its so organized, although i would still move the oven 1 square north. Standing on a fire indoors is super hot. Its better to stand next to it.

Last edited by JoshuaN (2019-02-18 22:35:10)

#15 2019-02-18 22:39:43

yaira

so the room with corner door outside 8x8... you don't recommand it?
what do you mean by
"it's technically closed"?

pein wrote:

every time door opens, the only safe place from it, is other corner of room as your 8x8 is only 4x4 in top left corner

it's only when door is at right bottom corner, right?

Can you plz explain what you mean by this?

pein wrote:

you still lose the room heat but outside room it isn't in your airspace so doors go bot right 1 away from corner

???

about the 3x3 storage rooms...
having no fire, those rooms'd be as cold as outside.
If you are at 7x7 room and open the food storage, room insulation won't work anymore. also fire heat won't reach food storage and it will be cold there... isn't it?

Last edited by yaira (2019-02-18 23:02:44)

#16 2019-02-18 23:46:18

Peremptive

yaira wrote:

It seems that is not correct, if as a baby you go naked from a cold part of the room to outside you will see your temp dropping.

#17 2019-02-18 23:55:37

pein

yaira wrote:

so the room with corner door outside 8x8... you don't recommand it?
what do you mean by
"it's technically closed"?

pein wrote:

every time door opens, the only safe place from it, is other corner of room as your 8x8 is only 4x4 in top left corner

it's only when door is at right bottom corner, right?

Can you plz explain what you mean by this?

pein wrote:

???

about the 4x4 storage rooms...
If you are at 8x8 room and open food storage,
room insulation won't work because fire heat won't reach to the food storage.. isn't it?

i adjusted manually, the walls are there just cover each other, it wasn't the design that mattered, i wanted to prove a point by it, that a 8x8 has no center and depending on where you stand relative to fire makes the difference. also that NW corner counts as center so you need to start NW corner first, put fire on NW tile if no center and put doors on SE side.
after making it, i realized its easy to grief it with one single adobe and a stone
i recommend having bigger latitude than 8 and have the door as far as possible from the top left corner, which is warmer
but not on corner, 1 tile away from corner, than it needs 3 tiles in or outside to be blocked, that's unlikely
you lose 4x4 with a door on the bottom  right
5x5 with a door on top left
those tiles are subjected to outside tile temperature when someone opens the door, if you can put boxes/sledges on sides, the possibility of people standing near the door is a bit less

imagine everyone is 8x8 in size, so based on their position, anything in their 8x8 aura affects them, cold, hot. they can be anywhere in the room.
walls insulate them from outside, doors as well, until closed, once its open, insulation no longer applies
now the door can be anywhere on the wall, on corner needs only 1 wall to be blocked inside, as other wall already blocks it

AO4W1pE.jpg
ok now this picture shows what i mean
the blue overlay is cold when the door opens, as anyone standing in those tiles will be affected by outside tiles
the sheep line shows safe positions from top corner door
the goose line shows safe position from bottom corner door
even better with corner door but then put a spark terminal in front of it cause that's unmoveable until finished, and can placed on a floor tile, while the bushes don't. but a home marker or a stake hit in floor also prevents people from smashing adobe there, they need at least a sharp stone to do so

reason being, you still calculate with 8x8
if the door is on center, outside tiles will be calculated to it, if you are anywhere under center, if the door is on side, everyone 4 tile away from it wont get suboptimal outside tiles in their temperature, they lose the  room warmth but they still keep the floor bonus as its outside of their range

ok so a room is 4 walls and 4 corners, the two sides parallel are same length, so it's a rectangle (generally)
2x+2y+4
simply put, the corners need 3 walls, the sides need 1 wall, and the middle needs no wall
so having more corners than 4 is very bad on resources
having a long and a short wall means more sides
having the x=y is the most effective way to have more tiles surrounded with walls
just an example
2x10 and 4x5
same size? yes
2x10 needs 2x2+2x10+4 walls which is 28
4x5 needs 2x4+2x5+4 walls which is 22
the 2x10 you made can make an 5x5 which is 24 walls so you save 4 walls and still make 5 free tiles more

my setup is based on that, once a room ready, you got 4 sides, making a same size room sharing walls cost 25% less
the way you put it, shares no walls
when you make 2 small rooms, you create a large wall, then you can add a room that size
the 3x3 inner corresponds to 9x9 big room and 3x3 small rooms
unless you got any obstacle you always better off making a room adjacent to biggest wall section, kind of like fibonacci and golden ratio, the next room could be 11x11  and save 13 walls
also if you put the pen on the top left to a corner with no exit, that's also saving a bit of walls

the storage rooms act as airlock
i noticed i go inside the room to give something or take something
now with an airlock you can open left door, right one is closed, you unload
you go out, everybody comes in to unload there, so right door only open when someone inside needs resources
best case scenario no one will be unloading, and you can open right door, then you keep the closed door status, you spread a bit more thin with temperature but you wont spend much time, you get the grain or meat and go back inside, meanwhile no one else gets cold debuffed so much
same for pies, when you ready with pies, you take out to storage, keep some to eat
no one from outside needs to come all the way inside to get a pie
they can just go onto storage, take pie, go out, close door
chances are you do all pies same time, to use kindling efficiently so you wont take stuff to food storage often, if you do, people shouldn't come inside by this time, after that, that door stays closed
those rooms arent for standing around, you either move stuff inside or outside, basically takes out the cold zones near the door by adding another door, they will be colder, yes, but then the door side will be still warmer

now any other reason people come inside, isn't a legit reason. maybe dropping off babies.
if they come in to chitchat or mess around or roleplay, and the doors are open you will notice who did it, and explain to him/her
if it does it often, probably is newbee or griefer or useless sponge

Last edited by pein (2019-02-18 23:58:02)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer