One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-19 18:16:34

ShadowsSoldier

The lack of storage problem!

We need more storage to put it simply, or a change in the way some items interact with storage. Or simply more items need to stack.

For example:

A wooden box holds 4 carrots, or it could hold 4 baskets filled with 3 carrots in each.
Just from a farmers standpoint, make the size of the carrots smaller, make baskets hold 5, that way when farming one basket next to a row of carrots is a 1:1 fill ratio.
Make other items scale with boxes therefore a box still would hold 4 baskets, but could also hold 20 carrots w/o the need for baskets.

Give us storage for specific items, Tool Cabinet or Tool Shelf/Wall.
A Wardrobe or Dresser for storing sets of clothes, a bakers shelf for holding plates and bowls, as well as half cooked pies.

Any other ideas just post them here,
More efficient ways of storing things or items that could be used as storage like i listed above.

#2 2018-03-19 18:18:15

ShadowsSoldier

Re: The lack of storage problem!

It seems one of the main issues in this game - The ridiculous amount of clutter all over, could be solved by changing the way some storage works and or adding more.

#3 2018-03-19 18:28:40

Thexus

just stop watering the crops at full stroage capacity

a wooden box worth of carrots is 12, which can feed a naked person for 6 mins (aka a lot)

Discord: Translators' Server, Thexus#3774
Working again on translations, oof

#4 2018-03-19 18:36:30

ShadowsSoldier

Okay add 10 ppl to that number then how many storages would you need?

#5 2018-03-19 18:38:25

ShadowsSoldier

so then 11 ppl would require 11 storage boxes full of baskets, full of carrots, just for 6 minutes. It's just very inefficient.

Last edited by ShadowsSoldier (2018-03-19 18:39:07)

#6 2018-03-19 18:41:15

Joriom
Website

Just make better use of swapping items. Remember you can rightclick on item as well as tile itself. They both have differet uses.
Storing items stops being a problem if you have enough baskets and hand carts. Thats one of the point of civilization - to get more tools. Hand cart is a "tool" as well.

#7 2018-03-19 18:45:14

ShadowsSoldier

yeah but just having handcarts, boxes, and baskets everywhere is kind of aggravating.
Imagine building a box specifically for certain items, like a box for carrots that held more of that item.
Crafting recipe could be easy to add,
Wood planks plus the item like how you make a bucket to specify the item and thus the storage built:
Wood planks with Carrot + Rope = Carrot Storage.

#8 2018-03-19 18:48:52

Left4twenty

ShadowsSoldier wrote:

so then 11 ppl would require 11 storage boxes full of baskets, full of carrots, just for 6 minutes. It's just very inefficient.

In my opinion the problem is the food density of carrots at that point.  If you don't have enough space to store enough carrots to feed everybody there is more than one solution, changing how storage works might be one, for sure.  Another is store more food in the same space by utilizing higher density foods.  Another, though infeasibly hard to pull off, would be developing a farm that is always in line with the food demand, meaning carrots are stored for only a moment before being taken to where they'll be utilized. (If your civ needs 10 carts of carrots but only has space for 8 carts, make all 10 carts,but rotate a full cart to the smithy, a full cart to the hunters and drag back the empty carts from last harvest, when you need)

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#9 2018-03-19 18:53:18

ShadowsSoldier

Yeah, this is also about more than just carrots, like having a place to put tools that is easily recognizable as a Tool Cabinet or Tool Shelf, would help promote proper usage, like bringing tools back where you found them.
Or storage for lets say, ropes and string where they can be seen, yes you could just make the model of the item look different in baskets and boxes or add a new storage for such items.
Also item stacking needs to be a thing, bowls and plates that are empty should stack, no if and or buts about it.

#10 2018-03-19 19:03:09

ShadowsSoldier

Think of all the things we could potentially stack:
long straight branches
curved branches
yew branches
fire wood - fire wood pile
butt logs - small log pile to large log pile
sharp stones
flint (not where you have broken it)
iron ore
limestone

idk you tell me more

Last edited by ShadowsSoldier (2018-03-19 19:03:32)

#11 2018-03-19 19:14:15

Left4twenty

Yeah, some of those things make sense.  We're stacking long straight shafts already, so branch stacking would follow I think, and when we pick up firewood it can be in stacks, so it makes sense we could restock them at that point. Anything that is basically a stone, because we stack stones now. As for tools though, I usually keep my tools in baskets, near their workstation, and at this point most jobs only require 3 tools anyway, baskets that people will still occasionally take a tool from and not return it to the basket.  I don't think a more elaborate basket would fix that.

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#12 2018-03-19 19:17:46

ShadowsSoldier

Yeah usually i put them in boxes 4 tools to a box, usually takes 2-3 and they can be seen very clear in the boxes.

#13 2018-03-19 20:33:07

Left4twenty

ShadowsSoldier wrote:

Yeah usually i put them in boxes 4 tools to a box, usually takes 2-3 and they can be seen very clear in the boxes.

"Toolbox" wooden box + steel nails = toolbox a box with added capacity because you flipped it to be standing with some nails put in to hang tools on, i can dig it hehe but that's a good way, people can't walk off with the lot so easily as well, even just wooden box.

Last edited by Left4twenty (2018-03-19 20:33:42)

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#14 2018-03-19 20:49:21

ryanb
Website

ShadowsSoldier wrote:

yeah but just having handcarts, boxes, and baskets everywhere is kind of aggravating.
Imagine building a box specifically for certain items, like a box for carrots that held more of that item.
Wood planks plus the item like how you make a bucket to specify the item and thus the storage built:

I really like this idea so I suggested it on Reddit.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#15 2018-03-19 21:45:10

ShadowsSoldier

ryanb wrote:
ShadowsSoldier wrote:

I really like this idea so I suggested it on Reddit.

Sweet, like that idea, basically once somethings added, it only takes item of that type much like stacking.

#16 2018-03-19 22:42:02

Jadajen

I like a lot of ideas in this thread, but i also think it is important to consider the nature of this game. The game is about problem solving on societal level. I think the problem of clutter— at some point— is something we need to figure out together, as a community. I frequently feel like too often people rush to adding new features as the solution. If that was always the solution, then we would be playing a sandbox game like Minecraft or what have you. This isn’t that.

So while sometimes, problems are feature problems or oversights or game design problems. Sometime problems are community challenges that we are tasked with figuring out ourselves. I think this thread walks the line. I am not giving a definitive judgement one way or another about how we should approach problems, just saying it’s something to keep in mind here and in all the others threads.

Also kudos to Jason for being so responsive to th community! Good job, I love the game!

#17 2018-03-19 23:05:49

Hans Lemurson

One trouble is that the way the game data is structured at the moment is that putting 2 carrots together in a tile requires making a new "2 Carrot Stack" object which is added to the recipes of things that can be crafted from a Carrot.

This is already present for some objects like pieces of flint, but adding it for every object would be a chore.

#18 2018-03-20 03:26:55

Joriom
Website

Hans Lemurson wrote:

One trouble is that the way the game data is structured at the moment is that putting 2 carrots together in a tile requires making a new "2 Carrot Stack" object which is added to the recipes of things that can be crafted from a Carrot.

This is already present for some objects like pieces of flint, but adding it for every object would be a chore.

Think about it in other way. Reaching 10,000 items in game would be way easier that way tongue

#19 2018-03-20 05:56:47

Auner

IMO an easy fix would be Reeds+Basket= Big Basket (can hold 6)

I hope we've all really come to appreciate the art of basket weaving, it would be fun to see that embraced a bit more- say by being very click-demanding to put the basket together (art heavy) allow players to make "community baskets" for farms during harvest which could hold 8-12

another thought would be, dig a hole with a food on it- and then cover it adobe- and you got yourself a storage shed for whatever food you dug in there

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#20 2018-03-20 06:45:59

devlinwyatt

This big problem with clutter is that nobody organizes it at all. Everyone just runs about with their task in mind and doesn't realize you need someone sorting all the odds and ends. The big basket is a good idea but I feel it would take away from the box. Until a silo is released for food storage, I have more pressing things to worry about.

#21 2018-03-20 06:54:27

Twinsen

Lack of storage is a problem when you don't have boxes/carts.

The issue though is whether if we need something in between 3 (from basket only) and 12 (4 baskets in a box).

#22 2018-03-20 07:11:48

Joriom
Website

We don't anything in between. We need more people aware that making 1 basket for yourself and bringing it to village does not mean you're done with baskets for ever. You need more them them in strategic places. So many times I see carrots on ground cause baskets are missing. So many times I see 4 sharp stones in one place without a basket. So many times i see 6 bowls or 6 plates taking 6 tiles instead of 2 in baskets. So many times I see bowdrill and two hatchets in single place without a basket for them... So many times I see 6+ firewood pieces lying next to fire instead of having 2 boxes nearby for them... So many times there are 7 tools lying on ground littering entire building without box or two to store them by the wall.  How many times have you seen forge with 2 adobe and smithing hammer taking 3 tiles, where you can put them all in a single basket and still be able to use them with right clicking? How often have you seen smith open 2 crucibles just to litter 6 tiles instead of having basket or two for plates/bowls that are left over?

People can't organize. Thats not the problem with lack of storage options. Its problem with people littering and not thinking how to store things.

Also - thats problem with people not planting enough berries to make more compost to plant 100+ milkweed plants so you always have rope for boxes and hand carts.....

#23 2018-03-22 04:37:29

shoukanjuu

Left4twenty wrote:

If you don't have enough space to store enough carrots to feed everybody there is more than one solution, changing how storage works might be one, for sure.  Another is store more food in the same space by utilizing higher density foods.

THIS IS WHY WE NEED CARROT COMPRESSION TECHNOLOGY

I just suggested this on Reddit, everybody be sure to upvote it!

#24 2018-03-22 13:36:43

Mugatu86

Couldn't you just make carrot pies with those carrots?

1 carrot (5 food) can turn into 1 carrot pie (5 food x 4 uses = 20 food)

So essentially 1 box of carrot pies can be equal to 4 boxes of carrots (5 x 3 x 4 = 60 food per carrot box) vs. ((5 x 4) x 3 x 4) = 240 food per carrot pie box

Plus if you combine carrots with rabbits, you get 16 food, which at 4 uses would be 64 total food per pie (16 x 4) x 3 x 4 = 768 food per carrot/rabbit pie box

A box of carrot/rabbit pies is equivalent to 3.2 boxes of carrot pies, or 12.8 boxes of carrots

Yes it's more labour intensive than just farming carrots, but you technically can compress the amount of space required for food by converting them to pies

Last edited by Mugatu86 (2018-03-22 13:40:57)

Board footer