One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-16 21:52:51

fragilityh14

how were you all playing before?

As a holdout to moving to desert living, the change of this temp update has been barely noticeable for my own survival.

I ran off to start my own camp, and despite that none of my kids decided to stay and play, it was perfectly easy. I really only had a bowl and a pie and some scavenged clothes I found along the way (there have been no shortage of clothes being passed on) and I was able to get a fire and 15 berry bushes going etc

i guess maybe this is getting the new players more, because before the deserts were added, we all lived like this all the time, and without a yum bonus.

Anyway, i've always just tried to keep my hunger bar near full and carry food etc.

Besides that clothes are actually useful again, this wouldn't be that big of a thing besides that people seem used to just standing around optimizing temp all the time and trying to eat as little food as possible, instead of working hard and accepting high food consumption. 

This is all barely effecting my playing style besides actually wearing clothes and not having to live in the desert anymore. We should be avoiding desert and jungle unless we need something, they're dangerous AF.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#2 2019-02-16 22:18:42

DestinyCall

Re: how were you all playing before?

If this update doesn't feel like that much of a change, it probably means you were spending way too much time out in the cold, instead of managing your temperture using free biome heat.  This also means your food consumption was significantly higher than someone who took full advantage of the jungle/desert warmth to keep themselves close to optimal temp while working.   

I wouldn't consider that something to feel proud about, honestly.  Although, i guess it works to your favor now that we are all stuck in cold camps and must avoid hot zones.

#3 2019-02-16 22:19:40

Booklat1

I have to make more stops while I work, this is all it changed for me. But honestly, barely feel it after a few pieces of clothing (which you can easily scavenge as noobs die in berry famines even though pies are available)

#4 2019-02-16 22:25:09

Jojigirl

I made it to 54, came back from rabbit hunting, and starved looking for food after unloading the recent rabbit run.. Over population and a lot of new players helped pick clean all the food in the camp (which was well established) as well as all the food in the wild nearby.. I was 54 so I couldn't make it too far in the wild before I died looking for food. We had a lot of workers working to keep everything going, yet it did not help keep me from starving.

Population control and weeding out the non-productive players from the productive players will be a big factor in keeping a village going.. If not it's going to be hard keeping food around.

#5 2019-02-16 22:45:27

fragilityh14

DestinyCall wrote:

If this update doesn't feel like that much of a change, it probably means you were spending way too much time out in the cold, instead of managing your temperture using free biome heat.  This also means your food consumption was significantly higher than someone who took full advantage of the jungle/desert warmth to keep themselves close to optimal temp while working.   

I wouldn't consider that something to feel proud about, honestly.  Although, i guess it works to your favor now that we are all stuck in cold camps and must avoid hot zones.

I just eat when my food gauge goes down and carry food.

But I do spend all of my time working, not, you know, standing around. I'm also running to and fro gathering things. I produce a huge surplus of food every game where I make food, and if not I'm generally gathering from the wilds and primarily living off of wild food and just setting stuff at camp. And I set up my own camps a lot. I always get it going and live in colder biomes fine.

but what you say confirms what i was suspecting: that a lot of people were prioritizing standing around and not using much food compared to actually doing things.  How much do you ever accomplish never stepping off the edge of a desert biome?

if neutral biomes didn't change, this really does barely effect me, since I only even started doing desert camps since my babies were all suiciding if I set up farms in the green grasslands, and it's a huge pain in the ass to find desert or open jungle sufficiently close to water and soil.

Seriously, just make clothes, grow milkweed until you have sheep, clothes aren't difficult.

the other thing i realize is we all played like this before deserts were added, so it's definitely more of a shock for people who played for months naked in the desert.

Listen to your mom!

#6 2019-02-16 22:53:30

Booklat1

fragilityh14 wrote:

How much do you ever accomplish never stepping off the edge of a desert biome?

We'll arguably the entire reason of this update was so that people don't have such an easy time near these borders. They were so easily avaiable that we could (and if towns were placed right should) in fact do most things around borders. Sure, going out for whatever is fun and can be extremely useful but any good camp previous to this update was somewhat around mid temp, so most work done inside towns was actually done in that temperature.

#7 2019-02-16 23:18:53

Spoonwood

fragilityh14 wrote:

We should be avoiding desert and jungle unless we need something, they're dangerous AF.

I don't disagree.  But, for anyone who set up a town in a desert or jungle now (and I'm not the only one) might feel like their effort has gotten wasted by a change in temperature mechanics.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2019-02-16 23:20:12

MultiLife

I've seen streams/videos of people munching all nearby wild foods as Eve or gen 2. Wild food is plentiful for the first generations to eat and forage, and then it starts crashing fast as the food is further and further away. You may not have a food problem if your predecessors have been saving wild foods (chaining themselves to eat further from the base so kids have more wild foods and the nearby bushes can regenerate) but if you eat and forage a lot of the foods around your base, you may cause troubles for your grandkids leaving the base (only to be surprised with barren lands).

Mighty assumptions going on; people stood around because of temperature? Hasn't that always been a thing with fire? Wouldn't even differ from before in that case. Basically good temp tiles were free fires all around the place to have conversations on without requiring everyone to stand in the same tile with overlapping speech bubbles (as it is with outdoor fires).

Living in colder biomes basically made it so that everything needs to be done with x2 speed, which was the "normal state" of the game before warm biomes arrived.
It was great when we could put our cities on warm biomes and chain yum to slow down the pip drainage and focus on vanity projects thanks to good locations scouted by great Eves. Warm biomes halved the pace and amount of work and grind. Easy to teach and raise kids when it's good. Who doesn't like that?
Only thing you needed was food. Useless people weren't that bad, you could farm a lot with "x0.5 speed" to cover them and their naked butts.

How I played before:
raise babies on warm spots; fire or a good tile. When I need to pass on knowledge, stand on fire or a good tile so my speech costs minimum amount of food as I have to pause and chat. Depending on my profession, get clothes/backpack or nothing. If resources are scarce, find safe routes to resources and use warm biomes for crossing to save wild foods. Make floors and roads, maybe some bear rugs, if the place is colder than average. Play in all camps no matter what, but move if the location is really bad or if there is a better spot nearby. Don't build things, they get griefed. When teaching, stick to good temperature areas so pupils don't starve. Keep all babies if possible, and teach a lot, it's the most important thing to do as it lasts forever.
Summary of how I played: in a way I enjoyed and thought was pretty darn swell. Good pace and ways to be effective and not having to grind like crazy. No issues with meta or naked people.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-02-16 23:25:37)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#9 2019-02-16 23:24:01

Spoonwood

fragilityh14 wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Seriously, just make clothes, grow milkweed until you have sheep, clothes aren't difficult.

A reed skirt doesn't decay, but if you cut down a tule reed as an Eve, then you either need to get a shovel up, or you will have the stump decay into nothing.  So, now potential resources are more likely to turn to nothing than before.

Also, 'living like this'.  Um... but what about temperature shock?

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-02-16 23:24:23)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#10 2019-02-16 23:28:59

DestinyCall

fragilityh14 wrote:

but what you say confirms what i was suspecting: that a lot of people were prioritizing standing around and not using much food compared to actually doing things.  How much do you ever accomplish never stepping off the edge of a desert biome?

if neutral biomes didn't change, this really does barely effect me, since I only even started doing desert camps since my babies were all suiciding if I set up farms in the green grasslands, and it's a huge pain in the ass to find desert or open jungle sufficiently close to water and soil.

I don't think you understand how proper temperture management worked with the old system.  It wasn't about finding a perfect temp tile and standing on it like a baby, never doing anything with your life.  It was about actively monitoring your temp level while you moved around, so you avoided temp extremes and maximize time near perfect temp.  A big part of this was time management and location management.  Setting up farms and berry patches and bakery/smithy in jungle or along desert borders so workers would naturally spend time in warm spots.   Or travel long distances on less food by following the edge of a desert biome.  Or warming your core temp before moving through a tundra.   Or switching between tasks in the hotter middle of the village to jobs further out in the colder regions, then back in when you cooled down.    The difference between hunger rate when very cold or very hot and when you are near ideal temperature is VERY dramatic.   It is why so few villages were built in cold regions before this update and why the change is such a huge shock to many seasoned players.

Temperature management with the old system wasn't perfect, but it was actually a pretty fun puzzle, challenging but enjoyable.   I will miss it.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-02-16 23:33:17)

#11 2019-02-17 01:40:44

fragilityh14

so in your opinion it's better if temperature is a weird meta puzzle instead of, you know, making and wearing clothes?

Btw, a family line has made it to 41 today, so it's empirically untrue that this makes it impossible for family lines to thrive, just look at the front page

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … front_page

Last edited by fragilityh14 (2019-02-17 01:44:56)

Listen to your mom!

#12 2019-02-17 02:54:59

CrazyEddie

DestinyCall wrote:

I don't think you understand how proper temperture management worked with the old system.  It wasn't about finding a perfect temp tile and standing on it like a baby, never doing anything with your life.  It was about actively monitoring your temp level while you moved around, so you avoided temp extremes and maximize time near perfect temp.  A big part of this was time management and location management.  Setting up farms and berry patches and bakery/smithy in jungle or along desert borders so workers would naturally spend time in warm spots.   Or travel long distances on less food by following the edge of a desert biome.  Or warming your core temp before moving through a tundra.   Or switching between tasks in the hotter middle of the village to jobs further out in the colder regions, then back in when you cooled down.    The difference between hunger rate when very cold or very hot and when you are near ideal temperature is VERY dramatic.   It is why so few villages were built in cold regions before this update and why the change is such a huge shock to many seasoned players.

I never did any of this (well, most of this). Temperature management has always been (to me) a waste of time and energy. The only concessions I have ever made to temperature management are a) as a baby, stay on a perfect temp spot (fire or a hot/cold border) because otherwise you'll starve or interrupt your mother, and b) as an Eve or early settler, put the berry farm on desert or jungle so that the mass of people who spend most of their time in or near the berry farm have their food consumption dramatically reduced.

For my own personal temperature management as a capable non-infant, I have always ignored clothing and biomes (other than avoiding protracted trips into the arctic). Obtaining clothing is expensive, and the penalty for being naked is ignorable. I produce a surplus of food and have no problems obtaining and eating food as often as needed despite being at equilibrium temperature with any of the biomes (except arctic, which is easily avoidable). Doing the kind of active temperature management you describe above has always seemed bothersome and extraneous.

I can see why you might find it an interesting challenge to optimize your temperature, much like some people (including yourself?) find maximizing yum to be an interesting challenge. I don't. I find it a distraction, as it has little practical effect on the rest of what I view as the game's main goals and challenges: survival, progression, and legacy.

#13 2019-02-17 03:14:03

DestinyCall

fragilityh14 wrote:

so in your opinion it's better if temperature is a weird meta puzzle instead of, you know, making and wearing clothes?

Why would that need to be an either/or choice?   Temperature is still a weird meta puzzìe.  It just has different rules now and much harsher penalties for crossing biome boundries.

As for clothing, I have no problem with needing to wear clothes to survive.  That is a basic element of almost every survival game.  Of course, in most survival games you feel pretty warm when you wear the best furs available while in a green forest instead of "not quite as freezing cold".   There are still fundamental problems with the temperature balance in OHOL.    I'd like to see us wearing clothes because they help us to stay warm and building houses to simplify our lives and advance our villages toward being able to comfortably sustain larger populations.

I do not care about taking my hat off when I go through a doorway or want to manually click on a door four times whenever I go in and out of a building to prevent hot air from escaping or spend twice as much of my life dealing with chronic food shortages.   Those are not fun meta puzzles that I will enjoy solving repeatedly.  They are just annoyances and drudgery.

#14 2019-02-17 03:28:11

dangergirl713

I can't even get an eve camp off the ground or help as a toddler. The temp changes don't make any sense and does not really contribute to the game. How are noobs suppose to know they need to make clothes? Also, in real life clothes do not take that long to make as it does in the game. The only easy option right now is seals. I guess I need to git gud but I don't really see a point. If I manage to git gud, then there is a big chance that all my babies will die and the hour is just wasted. I am really sad to see the direction that this game is going. All the changes seem to be pro player driven and really prohibit new players that are just learning.

Last edited by dangergirl713 (2019-02-17 03:36:42)

#15 2019-02-17 03:38:03

JoshuaN

Before when i played my goal was to always acquire a wolf hat, a seal fur coat, rabbit pants and shoes, a backpack, and a handcart. Then i would go gather what the village needed, mostly iron. Other times i would compost just because every one else was neglecting it. I often had to blacksmith my own tools after learning how because simply, the blacksmith station was left alone by all but the veterans.

Now I find myself exclusively farming and making clothes with not much time to do anything else. I do a lot of baking too when nobody else is. I feel like i just pick up the job that the town needs the most. I would like to explore other things in my one hour one life though.

I have yet to make a single newcomen pump or kerosene.

Last edited by JoshuaN (2019-02-17 03:38:49)

Sustenance~   ( ・・)つ―{}@{}@{}-

#16 2019-02-17 03:42:47

fragilityh14

being frantic and exciting and getting your heart pumping is the greatest aspect of this game. Eve camps should have at MOST 75% survival rates with experienced players.

You are rarely made Eves now, if noobs fail at it then get born back into civs no big deal.

I just had an amazing eve experience, though time will still tell if they made gen 5, we barely kept it together a couple of times, but got agriculture going, so exciting.

I hadnt spawned an eve in forever, there was another reset or something, I spawned eve babies twice to clueless eves, then as an eve with twins I abandoned.

(on the rare occasion I am Eve, I'm Eve Ormiston)

Listen to your mom!

#17 2019-02-17 04:40:13

DestinyCall

CrazyEddie wrote:

Doing the kind of active temperature management you describe above has always seemed bothersome and extraneous.

I can see why you might find it an interesting challenge to optimize your temperature, much like some people (including yourself?) find maximizing yum to be an interesting challenge. I don't. I find it a distraction, as it has little practical effect on the rest of what I view as the game's main goals and challenges: survival, progression, and legacy.

I don't really spend all (or even most) of my time worrying about my temp.   In my daily village life, I'm running around working on compost or making carts or farming wheat and carrots or teaching children.   Too busy to focus on min-maxing my temp gauge to perfection.  I rarely go out of my way to get clothes, since they were pretty optional, although I love having a backpack and like to wear pants, if I can find some.  I'm mostly just aware of how the biome I'm in will affect my hunger rate, so I address my hunger needs much more quickly while wandering in the cold, rather than when I'm  standing in a jungle.   And I avoid spending more time in cold areas than I need to get the job done.   Also, I'm mindful of temperature when I'm making important decisions like positioning the kiln or oven, planting new crops or finding a free spot to dump bodies.  I'll drop graves on tundra, instead of desert, given a choice.  Or make sure the bakery is put somewhere warm, rather than too cold or too hot.  In an eve camp, if I am a child, I will try to avoid cold to reduce my food consumption.   

I would assume many experienced players do this kind of thing without really thinking about it or realizing how much of a difference it was making.   I suspect part of the challenge with this recent update is that it forces many people to change their habits and question their instincts, since the "safe" spots are now quite hazardous

#18 2019-02-17 05:23:11

CrazyEddie

When you put it like that, then yes, that's exactly what I do as well.

... except the pants. I don't even bother with pants.

#19 2019-02-17 07:05:03

pein

"people didnt worked just kept good temperature"
biggest joke of century
they didnt, they just ate
someone else farmed
and they will do this always, stand around talking
at least you could trick them into standing in good spots

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#20 2019-02-17 20:15:44

Peremptive

fragilityh14 wrote:

Please explain how clothes help with anything other than temp shock, and that for a few seconds. You will revert to biome temp pretty fast no matter your clothes. If you are out getting long shafts you will need a few minutes. People walking through grass, savanna, and even mountain if not for long are the same whether they wear clothes or they don't. Clothes even make you keep bad temp making them deadly when entering out of warm biomes. So without temp shock, clothes are even more useless than they were before, because at least before they helped you maintain higher temp in cold biomes.

We just got screwed over temp with zero tools to fight it while actually doing anything in the game, only a shitty tool to fight  the completely new threat of temp shock. Other than that, you won't return to the fire every half a minute to wait 10 secs to warm up.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-17 20:18:22)

#21 2019-02-17 21:53:40

Booklat1

Clothes actually give you heat in addition to the insulation. The idea is that clothes + heating is what should make you keep mid temperature for long periods (as long as you avoid shocks)

#22 2019-02-17 23:15:00

Peremptive

I'm sorry, I interpreted Jason's statement that "Clothing was also a pain before, because it would make you too hot in the desert or Jungle.  So people just did without." to mean that clothes overheating you would be fixed. I was very naive.

#23 2019-02-17 23:43:50

Booklat1

the extra insulation and prevention of shock helps against heat but your temperature still gets high thanks to the heat. it helps a lot in cold biomes, specially if you have warmer tiles for some reason.

#24 2019-02-18 01:50:24

fragilityh14

Peremptive wrote:

I'm sorry, I interpreted Jason's statement that "Clothing was also a pain before, because it would make you too hot in the desert or Jungle.  So people just did without." to mean that clothes overheating you would be fixed. I was very naive.

in your opinion, should wearing a seal fur coat in a desert be fine? I'm not from a desert, and don't wear a seal fur coat, but I'm pretty sure if I was trying to survive in the desert, my seal fur coat would be the first thing i'd ditch.

well, stop wearing, at least, i might keep it to throw over animals I want to catch and eat, but you get the idea.

The point is, if i'm in a full rabbit skin outfit, i should be punished in the desert, because that is way, way hotter than being naked, even if the sun kills me. I'm not gonna go around dressed like Jeremiah Johnson when leave the Sierra Nevadas and enter the Nevada desert.

We do _badly_ need full body robes that moderate all heat, like the Bedouins would wear on their caravans and whatnot. I hope a new clothing update is inc, now that temp is so much better and clothes are a benefit not a liability again.

Listen to your mom!

#25 2019-02-18 02:33:04

DestinyCall

No, I would not wear a fur coat in the desert in the real world.   Or a wool sweater.   But I also would not be able to walk from the burning heat of a desert to the freezing cold of the tundra by taking a few steps.  Sometimes concessions must be made between realism and gameplay mechanics. 

Ideally, the game would benefit from having some clothes that are ideally suited for cold climates and others that are great for hot climates and a final type of clothing that is not as good at keeping you warm or cool, but not bad at doing either one.    This would allow people to dress appropriately for different climates and live or work where they need to with the right tech level.   I suspect that the "average" clothing would get used more and be a lot more practical than the "better" climate-specific clothing, because biomes are so mixed.

Wearing cold-specific clothing would be ideal for village workers, since they will rarely enter hot zones. Wearing hot-specific clothing would only be necessary when intentionally venturing into jungle or desert to gather resources.  Wearing average clothing would be best for travelers or resource-gatherers, since they will need to pass between hot/cold zones more often, but probably won't linger there too long.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-02-18 02:42:42)

Board footer