One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-02-16 09:38:12

JoshuaN

Re: [Corrected] - Temperature Update - Potentially not so bad.

It was an open invitation to change my mind about the game being unplayable. I wasn't telling you specifically to "provide evidence to your claims." That's your own misunderstanding.

Also, there's no way in bloody hell you're gonna tell me that extreme temperatures are suppose to be the normal, while clothes provide 0 change to temperature and that i'm somehow suppose to strive for heat when theres only two settings, extreme cold and extreme heat which are the same damn thing when concerning hunger.

You're not gonna tell me something this extreme is something i should wait to call unplayable.

Sure maybe i haven't extensively researched the full history of the game but its entirely unnecessary, the current state of the game is unplayable because of the incomplete temperature system, that's all that needs to be conveyed.

Let the community adapt? Give me a break. You're not going to convince a single casual that extreme temperature with zero way of managing it is an okay thing. Only tryhards would dare make it work, i'm not that kind of masochist. Games should be fun.

I did go overboard calling you a kid and a troll. Its habit. You're getting on my nerves.

I do understand static biome heat. I like it. What i don't like is that the base line temperatures that are "static" are on the extreme ends of the spectrum resulting in a dire need to constantly shovel an inhuman amount of food in my face to survive. Theres also no way currently in the game to feasibly manage such impossible hurdles... Clothes do nothing, stand by a fire all your life and you'd get nothing done. Its broken and needs fixed.

I just want to play the game again, not argue with someone about whether it was intended or not. Its broken, its intentionally this way though, but its still broken.

Sustenance~   ( ・・)つ―{}@{}@{}-

#27 2019-02-16 10:18:24

Peremptive

Booklat1 wrote:

Its an intended game feature change that completely rewrites heat. You reported it without bothering to research much on why was it made or how was it intended to work. And maybe worse, without doing testing or letting the community try to adapt. Jason does and always have wanted heat to be something we strive for. For it's security to be expensive, not something you can simply acquire by dumping kids in biome borders.

But sure, go calling people with 460 commits to this communiy a kid and a troll after asking them for evidence of claims they didnt make. Specially when you're the one making heavily assertive staatements concerning a feature change you don't understand (were you even around here the time Jason posted about heat? You just barely registered here ffs)

You say it yourself, how it was *intended* to work, not how it works. Jason himself said it is incomplete but idgaf. This person said a couple of simple obvious things, and you respond with "I've been here longer". Congrats.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-16 10:18:59)

#28 2019-02-16 10:21:44

MultiLife

I'm not gonna play for a while.
It's weird how everything is in extremes, there are places in the real world where humans can live without clothes or with just a reed skirt on. Those places are our ideal environments where we branched out to conquer less ideal places with different resources and dangers.

Humans are not lizards, we have this OP thing called sweat and even animals use this thing called shade to cool off. Or swim a bit. Or hop in a hot spring.
I dislike how heat and hunger connect. We don't eat pies to avoid overheating. Yes, calories burn in cold and water hydrates us, but standing in cold eating food is not how to avoid hypothermia. These should be status ailments that kill you, imo.

Another thing is timing, again. New players from China, bam, part 1 of heat change in. It's like when Jason nerfed ground iron just before Steam release.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#29 2019-02-16 10:49:37

Psykout

Did some testing after my second life in the camp died and I was a guy so could just do what I want till I died of old age.

Fully clothed every biome lost roughly the same pips per sec 8-9sec per pip. Jungle and Desert started off there but rose to 5-6sec pip, but still felt actually pretty close.

Temperature takes much longer to soak in, and clothing affects this. I noticed that when naked crossing between biomes my meter would go from one end to the complete other instantly. It was when wearing clothes that the shifts were gradual, and noticeably longer. Going from a fire to cold spot when fully clothed took 45seconds before equalizing to the natural temperature of the biome. Also crossing into a jungle or desert from a cold biome took 35-45 seconds to have the meter stop moving

Fully clothed on green tiles (forest) on a fire was perfect medium temperature, not really a significant change to pip per sec, maybe .5-1 sec more than fully clothed no fire.

It felt like there was a lot to forage off of, but that could have been RNG. When hunting all the rabbits I needed to make a full suit plus backpack it felt like I had plenty around to keep me going. It just felt like I didn't need to eat a ton just sitting there in the grassland as opposed to the forest. Once I had full clothes it didn't seem to matter what I was doing, hunger drop was very stable. Traveling through biomes barely fluttered the temperature meter because there wasn't enough time for the biome to affect my inner temp unless I stayed there for 30+ seconds.

Again the most surprising that once you have clothes, standing near a fire barely changes pips/sec even though on the meter you are going from [----^----X----|----] to [----|----^----|----]

^ represents temperature, so about a quarter to maybe 33% towards full. So basically, build a fire asap, get some clothes on people, and chances go up exponentially go up.

#30 2019-02-16 10:58:16

Psykout

MultiLife wrote:

It's weird how everything is in extremes, there are places in the real world where humans can live without clothes or with just a reed skirt on. Those places are our ideal environments where we branched out to conquer less ideal places with different resources and dangers.

Humans are not lizards, we have this OP thing called sweat and even animals use this thing called shade to cool off. Or swim a bit. Or hop in a hot spring.
I dislike how heat and hunger connect. We don't eat pies to avoid overheating. Yes, calories burn in cold and water hydrates us, but standing in cold eating food is not how to avoid hypothermia. These should be status ailments that kill you, imo.

Another thing is timing, again. New players from China, bam, part 1 of heat change in. It's like when Jason nerfed ground iron just before Steam release.

It's the easiest way to translate that adapting your environments temperature to suit yours increases your chance of survival. In my opinion shade just got put in. If I am fully clothed and run across a desert, I won't overheat. If I run across a desert naked I start overheating immediately. We have been asking for ages to make clothing affect hot climates, well rather making clothing just simply bring you to middle perfect temp, it changes how fast the biomes temp affects you, very clever way to make it more accessible without making too simple. Needs some tweaking but very viable way if what was intended. Also rather than just moving temp to median, fully clothed you consume relatively the same amount of food no matter where you are. The rate does indeed seem a little fast, but 24secs/pip under perfect temp before really is a long long time, but only when at perfect temp. I'd take 15sec a pip fully clothed in all biomes over the up and down we had before.

#31 2019-02-16 11:08:51

Averest

If you want to make a non lockable door, use a pine door. Sure it's resource intensive and a pain but it's better than a death trap. 20 Milkwed 5 LSS and pine needles. Don't

#32 2019-02-16 12:04:53

MultiLife

Psykout wrote:
MultiLife wrote:

It's the easiest way to translate that adapting your environments temperature to suit yours increases your chance of survival. In my opinion shade just got put in. If I am fully clothed and run across a desert, I won't overheat. If I run across a desert naked I start overheating immediately. We have been asking for ages to make clothing affect hot climates, well rather making clothing just simply bring you to middle perfect temp, it changes how fast the biomes temp affects you, very clever way to make it more accessible without making too simple. Needs some tweaking but very viable way if what was intended. Also rather than just moving temp to median, fully clothed you consume relatively the same amount of food no matter where you are. The rate does indeed seem a little fast, but 24secs/pip under perfect temp before really is a long long time, but only when at perfect temp. I'd take 15sec a pip fully clothed in all biomes over the up and down we had before.

That's good news and I don't mind naked people grilling themselves in desert. What I think is odd is that there is no place to live without clothing; clothing isn't a necessity for us irl, we do have ideal temperature environments. When jungle was added, Jason said he wanted it to be the ideal biome, makes sense, lots of reed skirt tribes in jungles, but now it grills everyone like desert? I wouldn't mind having one ideal temperature biome to kick off with so we have time to invest in clothing.
And yes that's the thing, it needs tweaking, it's a partial update, there is a disconnection issue; I won't play. I want it fully done first.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-02-16 12:18:15)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#33 2019-02-16 12:30:22

The_Anabaptist

I approve of the meta change.  It has been so long since we had a meaningful one.  Now the first thing I'm doing, apart from starving, is looking for a seal to club.  Being able to raise more than one female girl as an eve will feel like a huge accomplishment.

The_Anabaptist

#34 2019-02-16 13:25:59

Psykout

MultiLife wrote:

That's good news and I don't mind naked people grilling themselves in desert. What I think is odd is that there is no place to live without clothing; clothing isn't a necessity for us irl, we do have ideal temperature environments. When jungle was added, Jason said he wanted it to be the ideal biome, makes sense, lots of reed skirt tribes in jungles, but now it grills everyone like desert? I wouldn't mind having one ideal temperature biome to kick off with so we have time to invest in clothing.
And yes that's the thing, it needs tweaking, it's a partial update, there is a disconnection issue; I won't play. I want it fully done first.

We asked for clothing to become important, now it is. To me, it was plenty liveable, just that anyone not contributing is a death sentence. I know you want one biome to viable, but now with clothing all biomes are damn near the same and thats pretty huge. Just now someone needs to be a tailor in addition to smith/farming/sheperd to get a camp off the ground.

#35 2019-02-16 13:41:48

The_Anabaptist

Just lived my first life to 60 yrs old after the meta change.  Was born the son to an eve.  By the time I died, I had nice little plots of milkweed, carrots and berries going.  A seal skin coat really helps with the new temps.  I made three by the time I died.  Even had a backpack.  Sadly, none of my sisters made it.

There is a nice starter village out there waiting for somebody to stumble across it.  Just don't over eat the area or you're all dead.

The_Anabaptist

#36 2019-02-16 13:52:56

Ilka

I played twice - once I was a boy in an advanced camp (10 generation), scarcely we just started to do more advanced tools. I died due to a loss of connection, but we were still on the verge of hunger.
The second time I was a daughter Eve - we did not even make a bowl - claywas far away and I managed to give birth to my daughter before we finished the adobe kiln. I returned to the camp with my daughter and I died because there was nothing to eat nearby.
Conclusion - the game has become a game for real hardcore players. Because I play for pleasure, I do not want to continue playing.
Do not write,please "I've lived without a problem until I'm 60". Of course it is possible, but the game has become unpleasant. At least for me. A bit as if someone forced players to play at the highest level of difficulty - there are people who love such challenges but not everyone likes it.

#37 2019-02-16 14:09:39

MultiLife

Psykout wrote:

We asked for clothing to become important, now it is. To me, it was plenty liveable, just that anyone not contributing is a death sentence. I know you want one biome to viable, but now with clothing all biomes are damn near the same and thats pretty huge. Just now someone needs to be a tailor in addition to smith/farming/sheperd to get a camp off the ground.

Important=/=necessity. Now they are a necessity. I want clothing to be useful and important, something to go for, a new bottleneck to pass, but it is way too big of a requirement now and super early too when everything is important.
I'd rather have it like this;
location>food>tools>clothes. Clothes would be a bottleneck around sheep time. If nobody makes clothes before that, the place won't get sheep.
Now it's;
clothes>food>tools>location, isn't it?

This didn't make clothes just important, it made them a necessity. I didn't want that. But, I am waiting for the update to be finished. It's impossible to debate about an update if it's not finished.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-02-16 14:15:36)

#38 2019-02-16 14:12:20

Dodge

Ilka wrote:

I played twice - once I was a boy in an advanced camp (10 generation), scarcely we just started to do more advanced tools. I died due to a loss of connection, but we were still on the verge of hunger.
The second time I was a daughter Eve - we did not even make a bowl - claywas far away and I managed to give birth to my daughter before we finished the adobe kiln. I returned to the camp with my daughter and I died because there was nothing to eat nearby.
Conclusion - the game has become a game for real hardcore players. Because I play for pleasure, I do not want to continue playing.
Do not write,please "I've lived without a problem until I'm 60". Of course it is possible, but the game has become unpleasant. At least for me. A bit as if someone forced players to play at the highest level of difficulty - there are people who love such challenges but not everyone likes it.

Early game is supposed to be very difficult, but as villages advance it gets easier, and now more than before advanced villages will be even easier, with the clothes and heat changes you will eat a lot less in advanced villages with full clothes, buildings, floors etc

#39 2019-02-16 14:15:16

Rage
Banned

I lost my eve camp on server three after hours of play i was surrounded by food and could not eat fast enough. I am not going to go off like i really want. I am going to give the creator time to fix this. But if this is permanent I want a refund.

#40 2019-02-16 15:02:07

stew

I played as a child of an Eve and I kinda liked it. At the beginning it's "hard" to survive depending where you are located. You need to run for food a lot of time. It's important to remember food sources and to not eat everything close to base when you leave the base anyway. After we got the firetool I immediately started to hunt rabbits, a lot of rabbits. I made 2 hats and 2 Loincloth, started to grow milkweed and wheat. then continue to bring more rabbits. As I was in savanna most of the time, I could easy eat there and didn't need to drain ressources from base. Only after clothes I made one backpack which I used to gather stuff like iron, seeds and later more rabbits to base.  I really like how you have to prioritize clothes now. Once you have a good set of clothes it gets much better and that is kinda realistic. I have to say, this was on a side-server, not the main server. And while we had a few childs, most time we played as 2.

The big downside to this is, on the mainserver I see ton of people naked, with backpack. And they use their backpack to carry extra food so that they don't starve.. This behavious drains so much ressources from a town that it slowly dies over time.. It really triggers me. Even worse when they go out with only a backpack (naked) die somewhere outside cause it's too cold and they can't eat fast enough. Instead of makeing some clothes with this fur they made a backpack and died.. Total waste.

Thats why I say: Focus on clothes and only backpack later and for tasks you need em!

#41 2019-02-16 16:16:25

fragilityh14

this change happened for everyone right after the update right? Just because now I find it strange I could have possibly played a game without noticing this, but my last game I played old families were not having kids and when i done all the dead adult son lineage were eve.

Still, i never found playing in the green prairies to be that difficult, but other people refuse to. It is way too damn difficult to find a home when it needs to be in the desert or jungle and also near soil and water.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#42 2019-02-16 16:45:04

Booklat1

Peremptive wrote:
Booklat1 wrote:

Its an intended game feature change that completely rewrites heat. You reported it without bothering to research much on why was it made or how was it intended to work. And maybe worse, without doing testing or letting the community try to adapt. Jason does and always have wanted heat to be something we strive for. For it's security to be expensive, not something you can simply acquire by dumping kids in biome borders.

But sure, go calling people with 460 commits to this communiy a kid and a troll after asking them for evidence of claims they didnt make. Specially when you're the one making heavily assertive staatements concerning a feature change you don't understand (were you even around here the time Jason posted about heat? You just barely registered here ffs)

You say it yourself, how it was *intended* to work, not how it works. Jason himself said it is incomplete but idgaf. This
person said a couple of simple obvious things, and you respond with "I've been here longer". Congrats.

I ony used authority argument because 1 I was called a troll, so i was showing that I contribute to the community and 2 because it's obvious op was unaware that this had been planned for a week or two. It IS mostly working as intended ffs. Heat was supposed to be nerfed in natural biomes, that WAS the intention. We NEED clothing and we NEED heating. That's the way we are intended to play from now on. Sure it may be unbalanced currently, but few hours of evidence isn't enough to say that. A lot of people are living to 60 already, a bunch of camps are making in through a couple of generations. This definitely is playable.

You want evidence? Here fucking is http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=3411507

Check it, this entire line survived because i spawned 5 daughters and kept my ass warm and belly filled while in my fertile years. They're in gen 22 now, does this look unplayble to you?

#43 2019-02-16 17:14:47

omlinson

it sounds like a much needed update! i hate looking at naked old people.

(after playing, there was definitely less naked old people and less people eating berries which is not a bad thing)

Last edited by omlinson (2019-02-16 18:29:31)

#44 2019-02-16 17:29:19

fragilityh14

wow I just starved at age 10 for the first time in like, 10 hours of playing. But I mean, I should be starving at least _sometimes_

Village was out of berries, ran north at the last minute to live in the woods like i always do, already picked clean, just didn't find shit, dropped dead. Sad, that village needed my help. i assume the whole place just collapsed, because berries were out and there weren't really other food and were like 10 people. [yeah, at least like 5-10 people starved within a minute of me.]

but see I still don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. Because that place had caught rabbits and wheat and no one was making pies, I was going to grab some squash and get stew going (had other ingredients) but ran out of food before I could get to it. That village really deserved to starve, even if i wish i could have gotten there 5 minutes earlier to save them.

Last edited by fragilityh14 (2019-02-16 17:32:26)

Listen to your mom!

#45 2019-02-16 18:06:34

Grim_Arbiter

Oh man. I left for half a day and now your whole play style has to completely change, and now clothing is ths most important resource? I kinda don't like this at all. I knew there was a bit of change with temp coming up, but this just sounds overkill. I havent played today yet, but now idk if I want to.

Sure jungle was perfect temp, but the death rate was high from mosquitos. Deserts sound like no go zones no matter what now, which is probably the part that has me scratching my head the most.

While I haven't been an eve in awhile, (actually not since the map save bug) it wasn't something I couldn't do and it was actually a nice challenge.

Now I dont even want to play, because if I am an eve now, idk where to even start. I know I could just grind and figure it out but that doesn't sound like fun in the middle of my work week. Its not technically a bug like the non saving map, so i think its gonna take awhile for things to get smoothed out. I guess I'll just leave you guys for figuring this all out, but it sounds like I'm going to be taking a break from OHOL for a few days.

One final note, RIP to these new Chinese players, or any new player. Idk how many are going to keep playing when the game wont even give you a chance to learn what has changed and why you are dying young every life.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#46 2019-02-16 18:28:30

omlinson

@Grim

just played, didn't really notice a huge difference. just you can't rely on your city as much for food if there isn't someone dedicated to keeping things running smoothly

#47 2019-02-16 19:19:38

SirCaio

Jason has promised rabbit domestication a while back, it may be finally coming

#48 2019-02-16 19:27:09

fragilityh14

omlinson wrote:

@Grim

just played, didn't really notice a huge difference. just you can't rely on your city as much for food if there isn't someone dedicated to keeping things running smoothly

Yeah if you're actually producing food its fine. in my last game i wouldn't have noticed besides that it's good to wear clothes again.

I hated living naked in deserts and jungles anyway. We for sure need full length robes that protect you from the desert though.

as far as being an Eve: it's easier to find a spot, you don't need to be near a desert now, you just need to find an area with a good amount of wild gooseberries, soil, and water. Instead of all of that + desert

Listen to your mom!

#49 2019-02-16 19:37:12

robertb556

Just to clarify, I'm cool with harsher temps, sounds good.

But it does seem like my player's body has no thermal mass any more, as like JoshuaN mentioned I instantly go from freezing to boiling in a single tick of the game. I think that is an unintended bug.

The DC'ing is also a bug, but I regret bringing it up on this thread since its a totally off topic from the title. Sorry bout that.

#50 2019-02-16 19:38:46

Peremptive

Booklat1 wrote:

Check it, this entire line survived because i spawned 5 daughters and kept my ass warm and belly filled while in my fertile years. They're in gen 22 now, does this look unplayble to you?

just because tryhards, old players, people with the mod make it doesn't mean it is playable. I can survive too. Doesn't mean it isn't unreasonable.

Board footer