One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-16 04:13:30

JoshuaN

[Corrected] - Temperature Update - Potentially not so bad.

I just spawned into the game (update 199) and cold temps are even colder now, and warm temps are super hot!!! The temperatures are unplayable.
--Me

Correction: There is a new feature called "heat shock" when moving from a cold->warm biome or warm->cold biome you experience heatshock. What this does is it gives you an initial "shock in temperature" and then normal heat increases follow it. If you are cold and naked and walk into a desert or jungle the initial shock is EXTREME you go from max cold to max hot instantly. Where as when clothed the initial shock is about a third to half of your total temperature. Afterwards your change in heat is slow. Deserts and jungles still heat you up to max temp regardless of clothes so i would advise NOT staying in the desert for long periods of time. Avoid heatshock when naked as it will kill you very quickly.

Fire is an absolute must now for any eve, clothing is an immediate second priority.

Clothes also provide a vital role in staying alive much more so now than ever before due to the very low temperatures of cool biomes. Clothes now act a resistor to change in body heat. What this means is you cool off and heat up at a slower rate.

Clothing also makes you warmer in colder biomes. In ice biome its about a 5% increase in temperature. While in green biome and similar temperatures your heat increases from about 10% to 30-35% where hunger is not so much of an issue.

I've just tested the tutorial building with adobe walls & wooden floors. Standing on a large slow fire in a closed room wearing clothes is just like standing in the desert, you get very hot, but standing a few tiles away you reach a nearly perfect temperature.

Naked near a small fire is perfect temp while in cool biomes.
Naked standing on top of a large slow fire is 75% hot, while standing on the adjacent tile is about 40% temp.
Naked standing Indoors on large slow fire with door open is the same as outside.
Naked standing indoors on large slow fire with door closed is equivalent to standing in desert.

We could still use some data on whether or not being indoors without a fire is warmer than being outside.

Last edited by JoshuaN (2019-02-16 23:39:55)

Sustenance~   ( ・・)つ―{}@{}@{}-

#2 2019-02-16 04:39:08

robertb556

Re: [Corrected] - Temperature Update - Potentially not so bad.

Same.  Also getting constant disconnects from the server. I think everyone is dc'ing cause we're all spawning as eve's and eve-children.

#3 2019-02-16 04:39:15

fragilityh14

oh, i had an unusually hard time trying to start a new camp, i probably didn't notice this was why.

I still think plains and swamps should be optimal temp, so sick of dangerous animals.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#4 2019-02-16 04:42:59

DestinyCall

As a toddler, I live about fifteen seconds before starving due to overheating/freezing.   No time to reach a berry bush or do anything for the eve camp.   As an Eve, I can last a bit longer but I can't imagine finding somewhere with enough wild food to keep even just myself alive long enough to start farming carrots.

#5 2019-02-16 04:43:31

BlueDiamondAvatar

So big changes in your temperature as you move across biomes are a FEATURE of the new update.  Jason intentionally made the biomes stop mixing temps.

Disconnects are not a feature - and we should keep complaining until that gets fixed.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#6 2019-02-16 04:51:59

JoshuaN

[Redacted]

Last edited by JoshuaN (2019-02-16 23:48:18)

#7 2019-02-16 04:58:42

Booklat1

Play a few more lives, try making fires, getting clothes.

This was meant as a game changer. This will make people mad. Lets wait a bit more before saying it's unplayable shall we?

#8 2019-02-16 05:05:03

JoshuaN

Prove to me its possible to survive griefers and berry eating noobs in an environment where everyone is literally starving every 20 seconds and i'll take back saying its unplayable. I haven't seen a kiln made yet.

#9 2019-02-16 05:06:16

DrKytro

From the very small amount I've been able to play, I'm excited by the temp changes. Another level of challenge smile

The constant disconnects, on the other hand....

#10 2019-02-16 05:09:13

Portager

There isn't time to do anything except for eat. Compost...forget it. Forge...forget it. Killing a mouflon and bringing home a lamb...forget it.

Maybe we will get used to this, but at the moment it is unbearably hard.

#11 2019-02-16 05:22:41

Stylingirl

It's been reported in the github. It's a friday night so he might not see the reports until tomorrow.

#12 2019-02-16 05:30:32

JoshuaN

A new problem is found, every time i disconnect I can't reconnect, not even once. I've only experience lag once in 10 lives. Eve is HARDCORE impossible, i made a firebow, hatchet, snare, and died of starvation because we had 3 eves in one spot and it was a good spot, but all the food was instantly gone... everyone was freezing to death in a savanna / green biome.

#13 2019-02-16 05:38:38

Booklat1

JoshuaN wrote:

A new problem is found, every time i disconnect I can't reconnect, not even once. I've only experience lag once in 10 lives. Eve is HARDCORE impossible, i made a firebow, hatchet, snare, and died of starvation because we had 3 eves in one spot and it was a good spot, but all the food was instantly gone... everyone was freezing to death in a savanna / green biome.

I just got disconnected some three times in a roll just after completing firebow and hatched and with living daughters. Its enough eveing for me today.

Last edited by Booklat1 (2019-02-16 05:39:11)

#14 2019-02-16 05:39:03

JoshuaN

Damn, just found an excellent town that had just about everything we needed.. but i disconnected and "connection failed."

#15 2019-02-16 05:54:00

nerfsnowballsnow

You overheat in desert literally no matter what. Here is screenshot of me on the edge of desert sorounded by snowmen. StILL overheat.
unknown.png

#16 2019-02-16 05:57:59

JoshuaN

Yea i just read the last line of the update log: Apparently his next goal is to get biome and cloth temperatures working in a sensible manner. I do hope he succeeds soon. I would rather enjoy playing again smile

#17 2019-02-16 06:17:48

Portager

Jason is fixing the server right now.

Played around a little bit more in the tutorial area, and it is not that horrible. Will take some getting used to, and I will no longer keep most of my children unless I have clothes for them and they appear to know how to use them.

#18 2019-02-16 06:32:21

betame

nerfsnowballsnow wrote:

You overheat in desert literally no matter what. Here is screenshot of me on the edge of desert sorounded by snowmen. StILL overheat.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ … nknown.png

a small bug in the logic fixes that.
When checking for fires/snowmen, only fires are counted

if( airSpaceGrid[i] && heatOutputGrid[i] > 0 ) 
//should be 
if( airSpaceGrid[i] && heatOutputGrid[i] != 0 )

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#19 2019-02-16 06:35:51

Jk Howling

I can't even play in the tutorial lmao, just getting constant disconnects every.. maybe 1-2 minutes? I haven't touched the tutorial since it released so I wanted to check out what additions had been made since but nope, just endless DC.

-Has ascended to better games-

#20 2019-02-16 06:59:02

DestinyCall

I did manage to make it to sixty as the only surviving daughter of an eve.   Everyone else in my family starved to death in a jungle living off bananas.  They never made a camp, just lived off bananas as long as they could. 

I never had any children, despite maintaining a decent yum value, but I did manage to put together a little camp with carrots, a stack of iron, and full rabbit gear.  But even fully clothed it was brutally cold and I was lucky my camp was not close to jungle.  Yellow fever would have ended me as sure as a snake bite.    It was lonely, but I had a large green space with plentiful wild food to keep me alive while I worked on the camp.   

For anyone looking for a good campsite, I recommend prioritizing plentiful natural food sources over almost anything else right now.   Renewable natural food, like berries and cactus are best for obvious reasons.   

I've also been getting hit with a lot of disconnects.  Not sure what was different on this life, but I managed to stay connected for the whole hour.

#21 2019-02-16 07:17:16

Booklat1

JoshuaN wrote:

Prove to me its possible to survive griefers and berry eating noobs in an environment where everyone is literally starving every 20 seconds and i'll take back saying its unplayable. I haven't seen a kiln made yet.

Its easy as fuck to get fire going as is, i got to fire tools 4 times in a roll today and only died to the random disconnects we were plagued with. But like i said, we have to wait. I'm not the one making a claim without further testing, you're the one that needs showing proof here. And honestly, few hour is hardly evidence.

#22 2019-02-16 07:18:59

JoshuaN

DestinyCall wrote:

I've also been getting hit with a lot of disconnects.  Not sure what was different on this life, but I managed to stay connected for the whole hour.

That's impressive in itself to me. I disconnect constantly even before the update!

#23 2019-02-16 07:28:00

JoshuaN

Booklat1 wrote:
JoshuaN wrote:

Its easy as fuck to get fire going as is, i got to fire tools 4 times in a roll today and only died to the random disconnects we were plagued with. But like i said, we have to wait. I'm not the one making a claim without further testing, you're the one that needs showing proof here. And honestly, few hour is hardly evidence.

I tested enough to know the game is in a state that is unplayable. I'm not making claims i'm stating facts, stop trolling kid. Its not a "game changing feature" Jason just updated the game with an incomplete temperature system as a replacement for the previous one. Sure, it would be a feature if it was actually finished... He should have waited to update the game when he had actually finished coding the new temperature system.

Prove what? I don't need to prove anything. A problem came with the new update and i reported it, done. If you don't want to believe me fine.

Last edited by JoshuaN (2019-02-16 07:55:12)

#24 2019-02-16 08:13:12

Booklat1

Its an intended game feature change that completely rewrites heat. You reported it without bothering to research much on why was it made or how was it intended to work. And maybe worse, without doing testing or letting the community try to adapt. Jason does and always have wanted heat to be something we strive for. For it's security to be expensive, not something you can simply acquire by dumping kids in biome borders.

But sure, go calling people with 460 commits to this communiy a kid and a troll after asking them for evidence of claims they didnt make. Specially when you're the one making heavily assertive staatements concerning a feature change you don't understand (were you even around here the time Jason posted about heat? You just barely registered here ffs)

#25 2019-02-16 09:13:38

DestinyCall

I've managed to play a couple of longer lives with the update and many, many short lives.  It's quite brutal.   

As a relatively experienced player with zoom, I'm now able to stay alive long enough to find find basic clothing and gather fire-making supplies from an eve start.   But the time between the hunger bell ringing and death by starvation is very brief, due to the temperature extremes.   Even worse as a child with a short hunger bar, although it is still possible to stay alive by camping a berry bush or banana grove.  I'm adapting to the severity of the starvation risk, but I can't imagine learning to play OHOL under these conditions.  I had a new player as my daughter at one point and hung out by a banana tree so we could talk for a bit.  I explained a few things about the game and the importance of staying well fed and avoiding dangerous wildlife. She lasted about ten seconds after we left the tree.   

I really hope that this is not the final state of the temperature changes.   It does not feel like an improvement.  It doesn't even feel like a step in the right direction, since hot zones are now completely unlivable and cold zones are not much better than they were before the change.   Clothing is still not adequate.  The transition between blazing hot to freezing cold is both absurd and baffling.   The desert edge "sweet spots" didn't make sense, but neither does a sudden swing between temperature extremes when you move from one tile to the next.   Yellow fever is much much worse, since clothing is now essential to surviving in the cold.   I haven't seen any villages reach the point of making buildings yet, but since locks are still part of the game, I'm quite hesitant to locate any important parts of a village inside a room with a lockable door.    I understand where Jason is trying to go with these changes, but I'm really hoping this is not the finished product.

I'm willing to be patient and I expect things will improve.  But I'll probably hold off on playing for a bit.  I think I've burned myself out on early camp building with all the eve spawning and disconnects.  And unless the hunger rate gets adjusted, I expect it will be a while before we see decent-sized towns again.    On the upside ... there will probably be plenty of dead towns to repopulate as an Eve.

Board footer