One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-14 16:57:39

Booklat1

A Grave Problem

So, no one likes gravedigging because it's a terrible waste of shovels. No one likes towns full of corpses either. And more importantly, everyone hates babies dying and leaving bodies everywhere.

I like graves occupying tiles as a mechanic and also the idea of having to dig those but currently it's not just seen as wasteful but also probabaly just faster to carry stuff away from town (you'll want to gather those bodies anyway). Graves take 3 hours total to disappear, 1 after you dig them. Its really not much, but when graves are everywhere due to sheer baby noobness, /die comands and awbz client exploits it becomes annoying really.

What do you guys think of different graves for babies and adults? Baby graves would despawn naturally pretty fast, 1 or half an hour maybe and adult graves could take an extra hour to decay. It would reduce clutter enormously but also make it harder for people to simply let their graveyards decay by themselves. Also doesn't hurt that we could identify when a murder grave is from a baby or a an adult.

Thoughts?

#2 2019-02-14 17:01:15

InSpace

Re: A Grave Problem

stop wasting shovels on skellies, just cart them out of town

#3 2019-02-14 17:03:46

Booklat1

Booklat1 wrote:

So, no one likes gravedigging because it's a terrible waste of shovels.

#4 2019-02-14 18:03:38

CrazyEddie

Hauling bones is just a part of the game. Basic maintenance. Only a handful of people do it, but it's gotta be done. Doesn't take much time, though.

It's kind of annoying when you're the only one doing it.

#5 2019-02-14 18:32:33

Dodge

Staking bones, big pile of bones or crypts or both

#6 2019-02-14 18:47:44

Averest

First thing I do as a kid is start hauling bodies to the edge of town unless there are more pressing concerns. I enjoy it. I hate seeing shovels used, especially when the Eve is still alive and we don't even have compost yet, for graves. Also remember, if you move the logs off the stumps, the stumps will just disappear on their own after an hour. You don't need to use a shovel.

#7 2019-02-14 18:53:34

CrazyEddie

Shovel the stumps. It's worth a shovel use to get wood for kindling.

#8 2019-02-14 19:09:15

fragilityh14

i still want to be able to use them as a resource. Lots of fertility in a corpse. both could be an alternative method of making soil, but also grind them into powder.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#9 2019-02-14 19:13:25

Ellesanna

fragilityh14 wrote:

i still want to be able to use them as a resource. Lots of fertility in a corpse. both could be an alternative method of making soil, but also grind them into powder.

I really want bodies to have a purpose later on as a lot of cultures have used bodies for various types of medicines and fertilizers.

Last edited by Ellesanna (2019-02-14 19:13:42)

#10 2019-02-14 19:46:27

fragilityh14

Ellesanna wrote:
fragilityh14 wrote:

I really want bodies to have a purpose later on as a lot of cultures have used bodies for various types of medicines and fertilizers.

It makes me sad the game is flat, because in China there's this area, or at least used to be, "The Gravelands", where they farm on grave mounds, where they've put thousands of years worth of ancestors. I keep wanting to be able to do that, but there's no obvious way i can think of to add height to this game.

Still, a buried grave could turn into a tilled row after an epoch or something. Then the one use iron is worth it, as you'd otherwise have to til it.

Listen to your mom!

#11 2019-02-14 22:14:09

Booklat1

My idea was about two things really

1 making baby graves less annoying (since so many exploits, griefs result in baby graves)

2 making other graves considerably more of a pain in the ass to deal with, thus forcing grave digging long term.

I want this game to be harder and have all it's intended mechanics working so I think there should be a point in which old graves would start being too much clutter to just ride them away on horseback.

Last edited by Booklat1 (2019-02-14 22:14:22)

#12 2019-02-14 22:45:33

Reblab
New User

What if you could plant a tree on a digged grave? I would like that!

#13 2019-02-15 10:04:17

pein

search back,  i mentioned this idea sooo long ago, and i think jason seen it but didnt really gave much thought about it
this was the first thing i "griefed" out of jason and morti (then the teleport bug fix big_smile)
there was a town where Morti was the Eve
i spawned in multiple times, and made some good stuff, like cisterns, horse fences, the pit pen, etc.

I had the idea of grave pens and did the first  one in 2 lifetimes, a 3x3 and fixed it down with U letters
then in Morti town i made a huge one, digging out graves, making grave walls and fixing down some
i killed 3 people in process cause people are offensive or dumb when it comes to grave pens

anyway Morit cried on forums and most people liked my concept anyway
but then we complained on amount of bones, and Jason made this change, so graves digged in disappear faster, as we had like 6 screens of graves on that city

baby bones should be different and go away in few minutes, not hours
dead babies are the ones who doesnt even wanted to play with you/no one cared about them/too dumb to survive
they dont deserve a gravestone

sadly people like to make graves, i seen soooo many dumb ones
darwin award winner is my lil sister who brought back bones from desert to dig them near the pen i made, then she stepped on a snake hauling flat rocks. i did hid the only shovel which was 2nd from out limited iron supply, so she was slowed down, but she died without a female successor
i actually found that town later and they destroyed the cow pen which was built to close down the biome from the mosquito in it

i had the other life where twins hauled bones in carts! to make endless graveyard on jungle! while others starving
and they tried to kill me for telling them to "care more about the living" so i stabbed one of them eventually at 58

generally only a few people deserve a grave, we would need some cremating process or mass graves for people we dont know the names of
which is generally everyone who died before out birth or rebirth as we lose name data on disconnect

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2019-02-15 17:18:01

fragilityh14

pein wrote:

which is generally everyone who died before out birth or rebirth as we lose name data on disconnect

How do you mean? I've been having the disconnect on startup bug still, and sometimes I have to restart the game 5 times before it works, and often i get named when i'm lagged out. I feel like i havent seen myself named forever.

Though, Jason was able to look at a game where i had a severe disconnect problem later on in the game, and i guess the server didn't know I disconnected...

Listen to your mom!

#15 2019-02-15 18:20:56

antking:]#

may be we can use the trash pit! a mechanic, that I haven't seen used much, in the past our ancestors didn't burry one grave at a time, they would dig a huge hole and dump a lot of bodies into it, later using it to farm! only important leaders got buried and recognized. I think if we could dump bones into a trash pit that would nice! and then once the trash pit is full you can wait for one minuet and get one basket full of fertile soil!

the reason its so little is that the compost we have now should be the main, and the trash pit with stakes should just be a side provider. as it only costs one shovel usage for the trash pit it will be a great option as you can put in 20, bone piles into it! It should also fit bones of animals!

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#16 2019-02-15 18:37:24

fragilityh14

antking:]# wrote:

may be we can use the trash pit! a mechanic, that I haven't seen used much!

Yeah with the iron scarcity and some other rebalancing you rarely see them now. More things also despawn with time now though.

Back in the day (so, like 8 months ago lol) people used them for cages etc and they were all over the place, but at the time fewer things despawned and i believe iron respawned.

Listen to your mom!

#17 2019-02-15 20:21:47

pein

i mean you see the names on bones if you met them in your life
if you disconnect, this data is also deleted when you come back
and you disconnect a lot, without actually seeing it, if you live to 60, chances are that you disconnect 5 times, just check life log data, what you see as a slow response, actually is a disconnect

now is rare that someone important to you who is actually useful worker dies where you know it, you can still bury him/her by finding the body, but then mostly this noobs are buried who plan their death from age 40, doing nothing, its just so useless to spend 20 min bury someone while others die too
i think 90% of buried people arent even having names on them anymore, and even if they do, the peopel who bury them dont gave a puck to feed them while they were alive

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#18 2019-02-15 21:58:54

Lily

I always saw graves as something you do for important people you care about, and everyone else just goes into the bone fields at the edge of town.

#19 2019-02-16 10:34:44

voy178

I guess we need mass graves and an incentive to bury the dead. Can't be healthy to live among the skeletons of your relatives.

#20 2019-02-16 10:59:08

pedrito confesiones

graves are the new meta only pro gamers make graBes

Last edited by pedrito confesiones (2019-02-16 11:03:34)

CoNtEnT

Bottom text

Board footer