One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-17 12:46:31

emucat

Advice: Alone in the world. What now?

I have setup a private server for me and my coworkers, but it’s basically me. Which it means I always respawn in the same spot.

I have clothes, I’m farming a little bit and made some carrot pies.
I have also crafted a hammer and an axe.

What should be my next goal?

Build a house? Farm other products? I’ve seen there’s a well...

Thanks!

#2 2018-03-17 16:25:42

Gate Valley

Re: Advice: Alone in the world. What now?

Probably more milkweed for clothing and if you're missing any of the 3 rope items, stone hatchet, fire bow drill, and snare, then you'd want to make those. I'm assuming you fired a few clay bowls for water carrying? If you haven't made any waterskins I'd recommend trying to make at least 3 of those so you can put them in a basket to carry to farther away water sources.

The good part about milkweed is if you pick it when it's fruiting (Which is the only time you should ever pick it ever.) it'll leave behind a stump and re-grow after 60 in-game years so if you keep coming back you'll find you have more and more milkweed and hopefully you can get a couple sets of clothes with backpacks. The well is a good idea, especially if you don't have too much water close by. And especially because if it's only used by knowledgeable people you can avoid running it dry (which will result in it never producing water again, even if you transplant water into it).

Having a small surplus of fire-making materials is sometimes nice although I don't know how long things like tinder or kindling last before despawning.

Also a cart and a good amount of baskets can make certain tasks easier. Carts can hold 4 baskets with each basket holding 3 items. A popular use of them is to load up with waterskins and a little food then head to a marsh that's farther away to fill up a bunch of water without worrying about your ponds at home getting too low. Although this really only matters in civilizations on the official server, wouldn't really matter for you as a solo player but it's an example of something useful the cart can be used for.

#3 2018-03-17 17:31:28

emucat

Thank you for the advice.

I do have the 3 tools.

I will try to figure how to make the cart and the well. I have One warerskin, but I´ll make more

#4 2018-03-17 17:32:30

Left4twenty

Gate Valley wrote:

(which will result in it never producing water again, even if you transplant water into it).

The well now begins to refill after running dry in 10 epochs or hours to.my knowledge

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#5 2018-03-20 13:42:45

emucat

Well.. I have being able to craft the Hand Cart. It took me forever to do all the tools by mylsef, but the effort paid off.
Now I think it'a time to build the well, or maybe a fence to get a lamb.

#6 2018-03-20 13:58:01

Joriom
Website

Playing solo on custom server and respawning at the same point makes it easy to blow though tech tree. You almost reached the top of it. Try getting golden crowns, build house out of pine wall (you will need 100-200 milkweed plants at least to make it in reasonable time), cook sheep meat.
It's easy but time consuming when you're playig alone and just easy when you play with bunch of friends and use voice chat like Discord.

Thats not the point though. Most of the fun in the game comes from interacting with random people with different knowledge about game and different objectives.

#7 2018-03-20 18:44:11

emucat

You might be right, but from time to time a coworker connects...

Well... the well is done. I also have a sheep inside a fence and I have been able to get a wool booty!

I'm assuming wool clothes are better than the fur ones

#8 2018-03-20 19:09:27

Uncle Gus

They're actually not.

#9 2018-03-21 21:22:57

emucat

Ok, I think I'm pretty done by now.

I have a nice fence for my 2 sheep. I have a cozy home (although I could add a bear rug). I have my well and even a Carrot Gold Crown.

#10 2018-03-21 21:51:51

EvilBlackCat

I did the same thing though I did it for the purpose of recording tutorials. (Having an issue getting it to record right, though.)

Started a farm, caught lots of rabbits, made an oven, kiln, and forge. Now I'm working on organizing the place and setting it up for the videos, assuming I get them working correctly.

I think that having started a few weeks into the game being live I missed some of the big revelations in unlocking things. I sometimes spawned into these giant cities that had obviously been abandoned but I had no idea how to make use of the things they'd created. So taking a few days to set up my recording server allowed me to play catch up and be a bit more confident in dealing with the live servers.

I tend to be very socially anxious and I've always found that preparing myself and making sure I know things before being put in a situation dealing with people helps me a lot. Previously I'd felt everyone in game was watching me and thinking I had no idea what I was doing and was a waste of resources. Now I feel I can join the live server and be of use.

Board footer