One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-30 04:59:16

antking:]#

Marrige

this is some thing that has been long anticipated for, as a way to connect families and bring together love ones. I would like to present a few Ideas related to this Idea, "HOW TO BRING LOVED ONES TOGHER"

___________________________________________________________________________________________

1- rings

rings symbolizes, never ending love with its circular shape, now we have many types of rings but circular ones have been the fashion since marriage (also when you get older it gets impossible to get take the ring off)
my idea is that you can make a ring and their will be four different types

gold ingot + file = 4 gold rings

lock blank + chisel = lock blank with chisel + mallet = iron ring

rope + sting = rope ring

*slight gore waring*
rabbit bones + rabbit bones = bone ring

once you have 2 of the same rings you put them together and use a steal file (doesn't loose durability) will give you joined rings.
if two people wear the rings they are coupled, (this will also work with a lesbian or gay couple because its 2019)
any children birthed in this cupple will see the man as dad and loose all other titles he might have had. the married will also see each other as husband/wife.
______________________________________________________________________________________

2.words

words have power, in real life and in OHOL you can curse and name some one, that is power! right their.
with this
one person would say "/marriage (insert name)"
and if the person responds with "/marriage (insert proposer's name)" in from a one tile radios from the original person they will coupled.

after you get married you can change your forename, this will cause your children to loose ties to any of your family, to change your fore name you must say "/forename (name)"

this is important, because we don't want that much in breeding going on!
______________________________________________________________________________________

3.combination

This is a combination of Ideas 1 and 2-
you have to make a coupled ring, each of you have to be wearing it and then say /marriage(person name)
this might slow down the accident of accident marriages, and would look a lot nicer.
but it would be a greater waste of resources and time. you will still get to change your forename after your married, and your titles will be changed for you children!__________________________________________________________________________

I think this would be a nice addition to a very complex game of relation ships! and with the change of forenames their will be a lot more family debates and smaller titles unlike--
Treena your great great great great great great aunt.

well what do you think?

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#2 2019-01-30 14:06:07

Starknight_One

Re: Marrige

antking:]# wrote:

this is some thing that has been long anticipated for, as a way to connect families and bring together love ones. I would like to present a few Ideas related to this Idea, "HOW TO BRING LOVED ONES TOGHER"

___________________________________________________________________________________________

1- rings

rings symbolizes, never ending love with its circular shape, now we have many types of rings but circular ones have been the fashion since marriage (also when you get older it gets impossible to get take the ring off)

Rings have been the fashion since jewelers got involved... and since it used to be necessary to pay people to take your surplus daughters off your hands. It's called a dowry. The 'circular shape signifying endless love' is just marketing copy from the diamond merchants.

In general, I'm not against the idea of rings. Having them display on your character might be an issue, though.

my idea is that you can make a ring and their will be four different types

gold ingot + file = 4 gold rings

lock blank + chisel = lock blank with chisel + mallet = iron ring

rope + sting = rope ring

*slight gore waring*
rabbit bones + rabbit bones = bone ring

once you have 2 of the same rings you put them together and use a steal file (doesn't loose durability) will give you joined rings.
if two people wear the rings they are coupled, (this will also work with a lesbian or gay couple because its 2019)
any children birthed in this cupple will see the man as dad and loose all other titles he might have had. the married will also see each other as husband/wife.

2.words

words have power, in real life and in OHOL you can curse and name some one, that is power! right their.
with this
one person would say "/marriage (insert name)"
and if the person responds with "/marriage (insert proposer's name)" in from a one tile radios from the original person they will coupled.

after you get married you can change your forename, this will cause your children to loose ties to any of your family, to change your fore name you must say "/forename (name)"

this is important, because we don't want that much in breeding going on!

Inbreeding is bad in the real world because of the possibility of reinforcing negative genetics, like porphyria or hemophilia. There's no genetic component here. Any complaints about 'incest' or 'inbreeding' are just role-play.

Personally, my head-canon is that the Apocolypse that originally removed all traces of man's works from the world also modified humans; males now emit spores, and the females breathe them in and become pregnant. In such a situation, incest becomes irrelevant; it can't be controlled, because you're not responsible for those free-floating sporm. (Spore sperm...)

Also, there's no reason your children should lose ties to their family. The tracking in the system has nothing to do with your name, or else nameless kids couldn't be displayed on the family tree, nor could kids who get 'adopted' by being named by someone unrelated.

3.combination

This is a combination of Ideas 1 and 2-
you have to make a coupled ring, each of you have to be wearing it and then say /marriage(person name)
this might slow down the accident of accident marriages, and would look a lot nicer.
but it would be a greater waste of resources and time. you will still get to change your forename after your married, and your titles will be changed for you children!__________________________________________________________________________

I think this would be a nice addition to a very complex game of relation ships! and with the change of forenames their will be a lot more family debates and smaller titles unlike--
Treena your great great great great great great aunt.

well what do you think?

By 'forename', do you mean your last name (surname)? Or your personal name? Forename would seem to imply changing your personal name, since 'fore' means 'front' (or alternately, 'leader' in the case of foreman).

I don't think a change of surname is needed, although having the option might be nice. Actually, in general I'd like to see a few more naming mechanics, like being able to name yourself if you're nameless when you become a young adult.

So... I don't really see this adding to gameplay. We already have RP marriages, and people declaring 'so-and-so is my father'. Do we need mechanics to promote this, or can we just carry on the way we are?

There's serious holes in the early game (for me). I don't think, even with the knowledge people possess today, that we'd be making steel again within a generation. It's possible, in some parts of the world, but for the most part I think we'd still be scratching out a Stone Age existence 100 years hence. It's not a matter of knowledge - it's being able to make the tools to make the tools we need to make the things we want. I'd prefer that Jason take a look at that and perhaps provide alternative tools that we can use without having to rush a forge. (Not for hoes - we have alternatives for that - but for shovels, most notably. Not being able to transport dung any other way is ridiculous.)

Steel smelting isn't exactly rocket science, true, but being able to get the smelter hot enough to actually melt iron so you can alloy it into steel takes a bit more effort than just slapping an adobe kiln together and adding a bellows.

#3 2019-01-30 19:05:27

MultiLife

True, the game doesn't need marriage. True, incest would be a turn-off and would cause more issues than cartoon nudity. True, it may not add much, if anything, to the game. True, there are other things to add or fix. True, a ring is probably not the best option here with the visibility - or, it's the best one due to the visibility.

What I learnt today; from western countries, only USA restricts first cousins marrying, every other country is chill with it. big_smile ("It is estimated that 20 percent of all couples worldwide are first cousins." whaaaaa)

Marriage, eh, roleplay away. However, fathers...
I'd like to be able to link males to the next generations in a family tree. Only women get to make cool long chains of people included but males just sit in their dead-end tree branch looking at nieces connecting to the next generation with their daughters. Damn these asexually reproducing strong independent women.
If incest is an issue, make only Non-related males father-candidates - more reason to bring families together in cities: kids would have unknown fathers unless a non-related male is around (hilarious mental images of a guy fathering 18 kids in a town).
Maybe we could opt out of the responsibility or the whole dad deal. They could just not be in the dad-pool unless they craft something to address them as fathers to non-related womens' kids. I'd also like if we got birth control for girls so they'd have this sort of option too.

I just feel like a game about family, survival and social aspects is not done until we actually have a family, including a father. Why are they left out like this in a game of parenting? A family game continues to lack a part of it until fathers are included. A role of a father shouldn't be left unexplored, at least that's how I feel. I suspect fathers were in the picture in Jason's vision at least at the beginning. Then he realized it'd cause trouble and awkwardness with the spawning system and family ties. I just really want to see what this game would be like with fathers included, what kind of shenanigans it'd spur - how would players act with this included? How would players play as fathers, would they take more responsibility with children as they are their link to the next generation "in blood"?

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-01-30 20:42:15)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#4 2019-01-30 20:15:00

fragilityh14

I was thinking about this the other day. One advantage would be if it increased fertility, so that villages could plan who was producing the most children. Which they already kind of can. You could make it so it needed to be second cousins, so it requires a more stable civilization before you were able to prioritize in this way.

of course once you throw the father in the family line, instead of just the mother, everyone gets real related real fast and would be related to you in two ways.

I think unless you made it so the father didn't impact the lineage, making the lineage reasonable at all with fathers included would be far more difficult than it is worth.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#5 2019-01-30 23:43:14

hmrka

Being married should increase fertility. And I think cousin marriages are fine (Not irl of course, just in game lol) If you marry a guy he would show up as husband to you, father to your kids, and grandpa to your grandkids. I don't think others need to have some new relation to him, it would complicate things. On the family tree after death the married people would have a text under them saying "Married to:(name)" It could link lineages together, not by killing but by loving smile

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#6 2019-01-30 23:57:42

AmyJ

hmrka wrote:

Being married should increase fertility. And I think cousin marriages are fine (Not irl of course, just in game lol) If you marry a guy he would show up as husband to you, father to your kids, and grandpa to your grandkids. I don't think others need to have some new relation to him, it would complicate things. On the family tree after death the married people would have a text under them saying "Married to:(name)" It could link lineages together, not by killing but by loving smile

Yes! I haven't played as a male for months because it's so disconnected from everyone else. Marriage would be great!

#7 2019-01-31 01:47:41

GreatShawn

Omg... Not another useless update.

#8 2019-01-31 15:02:56

BlueDiamondAvatar

MultiLife wrote:

I'd like to be able to link males to the next generations in a family tree. Only women get to make cool long chains of people included but males just sit in their dead-end tree branch looking at nieces connecting to the next generation with their daughters. Damn these asexually reproducing strong independent women.

I just want to step in and provide a real world response here.  Sucks doesn't it?  Well, guess what, in the real world only men have counted for most of human civilization.  I happen to know my family history back the fourteen generations to our "immigrant ancestor" to North America, but the monuments and historic records tell me all about my male line of ancestors, and practically nothing from the female ancestors.  As a woman I find this appalling.  I don't even know the first name of my female immigrant ancestor, but I know her dad became one of the first governors of Connecticut and that her great-nephews started a well known company. Maybe you've heard of it?  Webster's Dictionary?  (Ok, maybe you haven't, but ...anything that started in the 1700's and still has a website today get's a nod of respect, right?)

My grandmother wrote multiple books of genealogy, back in the pre-internet era when that was REALLY REALLY tough.  But as tough as it was to piece together scattered records across the generations, it was only even possible because she focused on the male lines.  OH, and yes, that hard work was unpaid labor, because it's not like she had any opportunity to demonstrate her intelligence and persistence in a position that would have paid her according to her worth. 

The point is knowing your male family history and not your female family history sucks ass. 

So I appreciate the heck out of the fact that you gamer guys have to deal with your male characters not being memorable  in one out of the thousands of games available to you.

Ok, end feminist rant.  You may now return to your normal playing of a game without considering any of the real world implications...

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#9 2019-01-31 18:44:46

MultiLife

BlueDiamondAvatar wrote:

The point is knowing your male family history and not your female family history sucks ass. 

So I appreciate the heck out of the fact that you gamer guys have to deal with your male characters not being memorable  in one out of the thousands of games available to you.

Ok, end feminist rant.  You may now return to your normal playing of a game without considering any of the real world implications...

"You gamer guys"... tee hee hee. wink

Real life sucks in many ways, that's why I love games. I just want my bois to connect to the next gen, I'd love to have them more involved as in real life it takes two to make the next generation. I'd be as frustrated if it was the other way around; children only connected to their dads. I want both in thereee... sad Both are part of the next generation, and responsible for it. My poor little Roman Rodocker, nobody knows he raised a generation of kids and saved them all as the mother veggied away until death. His branch is a dead end even if he was the sole reason the family tree grew over ten generations taller.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-01-31 18:46:35)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#10 2019-01-31 22:09:45

BlueDiamondAvatar

MultiLife wrote:

My poor little Roman Rodocker, nobody knows he raised a generation of kids and saved them all as the mother veggied away until death. His branch is a dead end even if he was the sole reason the family tree grew over ten generations taller.

Would a marriage feature change that? Who would he have married? I think we need an adoption feature - that works for both men and women. 

I've adopted a baby girl as a female character.  Her line went on to take over the village and lasted way longer than any of my daughter's.  It would have been great to have automatically seen her line attached to mine.

But I knew her name, and was able to look it up in the family tree just fine.  Which goes back to my postion on this conversation in the first place.

I'd love to see more people deciding to roleplay marriage, fatherhood, and adoption, but we don't need new complicated features for that to happen.  We just need to decide to do it.

So I'm not really into the ring ideas.  That would require new content, and I would rather get more clothing, storage, cool gadgets, etc.  (airplanes!)

But I do support option 2 - adding words that change your relationship to one another.   It's similar to the curse system in a way.  Instead of "I curse xxx"  you could say "I marry xxx" or "I adopt xxx".  And it would need to be returned by the other player.  Maybe for a child being adopted it could be a simpler, "I agree". 

The in game affect would be to show a different relationship - but only to those directly involved.  (Your wife's sister would retain her original second cousin twice removed label). 

After the fact, only the family tree pages for characters immediately adjacent (children and spouse) would be changed, or it would make the lineage tracing way more complicated.  It could be as simple as adding a link in the character bio.  One more field along side last words, type of death, etc.

Also, Jason has said that he only looks at suggestions on the subreddit.  Unless one of us writes up this marriage "proposal" over there, and a bunch of us upvote it, he is unlikely to implement.

Last edited by BlueDiamondAvatar (2019-01-31 22:11:03)

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#11 2019-02-01 04:57:54

MultiLife

BlueDiamondAvatar wrote:

Would a marriage feature change that? Who would he have married? I think we need an adoption feature - that works for both men and women.

MultiLife wrote:

Marriage, eh, roleplay away. However, fathers...
I'd like to be able to link males to the next generations in a family tree.

Some sorta kudos, mentioning system, would be enough. I don't need marriage, but I do want fathers. However, adoptive father is adoptive father, I wish father role was a thing like mother role is, in addition to adoptive parents - all part of raising a family and survival. But, as I have no better ideas how exactly it would happen and how family trees would link up, I'm not gonna suggest it (non-related males getting father stamp would be hilarious and amazing though). I know why it's troublesome to implement and I also want to see other updates instead.

#12 2019-02-01 17:35:31

pein

i sometimes did this marriage thing to keep up interest of a female in the game and i had to check upon her anyway
sure, with addon i see how many females we got and i jump to help when we are low

i think 2 rings from 1 gold bar would be ok, but this also should mean that this rings are final, so need to be melted again to use them, or the person needs to die, would happen very often
i dont want this to be an essential feature without an essential gameplay element
in a big city this would result in 50 rings, and no hoe to make food, if anything can be made into rings, and cannot be undone
also minimum pickup age and no dressing others with rings
i dont want to be forced into marriage as baby
also some sort of similar age requirement, 14 to 40 both parts

i dont want to deal with marriage on an eve camp
its just stupid rp in this form, with no gameplay benefit
so the tool requirement should be also higher, whats the purpose of marriage if they dont have anything to eat?
family names have a purpose, its more like a tribe, than a family, separate families without separate eves would be too easy, family names wasnt used until population was higher, and you couldnt distinguish people with same name, you gave a nickname, and then this nick names were inherited so it created a usage for family names
as so often was told, you cant have fathers all the time, so females having randomly babies is a good mechanic
now i could imagine, females or males having an extra letter or color if married, like a red dot on a hand or something like that, and an extra "A" or some letter in their name.
other option could be all females would have a color or nickname or something, so people wont rant about the incest, it gonna happen, now if your mother isnt the same, then it would be possible to marry a cousin
thats enough limitation
maybe each female would be a new branch and could choose a family name displayed in brackets
The Eve would choose a tribe name, like Flower
Name the first girl Francisca Flower
Franciska could name herself at 13 (Blue)
Now each kid would became XXX (Blue) Flower
if the eve didnt name you, you would become XXX (Blue)
this would be a temporary family name and should be unique or selected from a list (people would just take the same name and Blue II or Flower Flower isnt optimal), this could only last until that female is old to have babies
adoption could be possible in first few minutes, until the kid can be picked up, so between 2 and 5, so no kidnapping right away
also the kid should say Y or N to get adopted
I generally complete an action before picking up the kid, wont starve with 2 bars for 5 seconds anyway, some people jump on the kid right away, even jump for other kids
So this way you could have your own Family name during your lifetime, and each person could do the same
i think a list would be better, that way they would be unique and even have icons next to it
For example colors, animals and some plant names, around 20-30 variations would be fine, each fertile female might want one so you dont have to wait someone to die to get her name
Fathers would be also temporary titles, it could be shown in family tree
Now with total population, this wouldnt really work if fathers can choose own name, but they would need to merge anyway when married
So that means you could tell the female which name to choose, but not choose yourself
Also this could only work if you are a married male, to adopt or raise kids with your name
And also means monogamy until death of one of the married couple
The rings could have this names attached, like variations of the names, so it would be still unique and used by others when the marriage is broken

so options would be: get married to have a unique family name in brackets then kidnap your kids from others if they  agree
choose a name as female so your kids have that name until get married
This temporary family names could last only until someone else gets married, but worst case scenario 2 couples could adopt only girls and other only boys so kids could rp marriage each other, or make it official under  a new name

if this doesnt happen then you would see names like Big XII Dick II Purvi IV

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#13 2019-02-01 18:19:46

apereason

Antking I just need to tell you that you spelled marriage wrong lol
anyway I think marriage would be a cool idea, a marriage command would be cool.

Last edited by apereason (2019-02-01 18:20:02)

#14 2019-02-01 21:59:33

Vexenie

Make the ring person's choice
other people can't put rings on others... well, not engagement rings, put you can put on jewelry rings

Don't want the OHOL "creepy girlfriends/boyfriends" in game

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

Board footer