Roleplay smiths and roleplay doctors?

I've been killing a few annoying people lately and hope they read it

Roleplay smith:
he uses one iron per one fire
generally creates duplicate toolheads
he refuses to do anything needed for the camp as he/she is a smith
they wont even get their own kindling and waste a lot of it
this is very bad especially when you need a tool in short timeframe
once the toolheads are made into tools, they cannot be remade into something else
im fine if someone tries to learn smiting, but dont be rude about it
if you want to do smiting, do it after the first set of tools is done, or step aside, some of us can put in a single fire more than 10 iron, but the minimum is 3 you should do, there is a lot of setup to get kindling, fill bowls, its just annoying when someone ruins it for one single hoe or a blade
or try to push out older people of their position cause you want to do something respectable

first 10 iron: there is not a single reason to make duplicates of anything with 10 iron, especially if you arent the one who gathered it
you need 8 iron to be able to do a mine, then you can do some duplicates
axe: depending on map you need 2-3, and use hatchet instead to make the kindling, don't take the hatchet to make kindling, keep it near the fire and bring the stumps/branches there, and brign the axe back if it's the only one, tell people if you plan to extend city somewhere then you can leave the secondary axe
you need one to get some butt logs, firewood and clear the usable area from trees
jungles can be cleared from trees, no reason to keep more than 6 rubber trees, and 3 palm trees, i was able to do 6 buckets of rubber once with 3 lives in same city where i had an upgraded cart with 6 buckets
also needs 2 hot springs and 2 bowls on each palm tree, hot springs wont regenerate, palm trees do after a while
now jungle middle can be cleared, best trees to get  rubber from are the ones on north side, as they wont cover the jungle, also the ones on sides and outside the jungle are fine
the middle ones can be cut safely, banana trees too, maybe for ambience you can leave some but its pretty good kindling for 1 axe usage
shovel: generally you need a lot of shovels just to clear soil piles, make wells, reed stumps, the tree stumps inside camps, big rocks, clay and soil pits which block tiles, don't use it to dig graves, you will need one pretty soon, but can wait until the first mine is made
hoes: one steel hoe is useful to farming, and one person who farms all his life can use up up to 3 hoes, but this also delays the mine being made so just stick it to basics and gather ropes in wild, and get wheat from wild
adze: no reason to have 2, i never seen adze to break, maybe if you take up all the floor tiles from desert, its not an emergency to have an adze, as long as you got some fence kits made you are fine
froe: it breaks after making a ton of boards, but still no reason to have 2 at a time, same as adze, no reason to have 2
mining pick: i see this a lot, and people waste the most steel on it, i guess because it's the last recipe, so i rather blame the ones who put it on long shafts, if you rearrange a lot of roads you might break one pick, making mines or destroying kilns wont ever break them, maybe someone will leave it near a mine, no reason to have multiple of it
blades: a lot of newbees hog onto it and don't kill sheep with it, don't make bread or rubber only use it to kill or threaten people with it, generally this people cant even make it, there is no reason to have more than 3-4 at a time, and you should really give some to others who can compost or doing baking, not keep it as a family treasure
chisel: that actually breaks quite fast so 2-3 later can be good  but initially 1 single is enough and don't take it from the smith until he made the file
stone rooms before a file are kind of a waste
no reason to have multiple saws, i never seen it break, even if it does break you can find tons of disks around

you need axe, froe, adze, pick for making a mine, hammer, chisel, file, saw
this is 8 iron and this is what you should use iron for
shovels and hoe is just delaying it, one shovel is kinda needed right away, hoe can wait, gather more iron and food, ropes from wild, don't waste hoes

roleplay doctors:
they start of with shearing every single sheep
they never feed any sheep, maybe only when the food is already made
but they certainly wont pick off berries from bushes and plant carrot
they take the shears 3 seconds after  you made it, they make themselves a painted apron and start making too many pads
they also don't help making the pen or the tools needed and just yell at you and pretend they are useful
they rush it too early, beg for aprons and knives, and will set back the compost cycle

the problem with this:
making a pen and getting sheep takes like 30 minutes sometimes for me, much more for other
feeding them and making the shears, making spindle, knitting needle can be the worst in older towns
the pen maker deserves the first apron, especially if he fed a few sheep
wait your line
there is nothing wrong with taking the shears as long as you are the only one feeding the sheep
its much faster to fill the pen and have multiple lambs, than to shear every single one and wait the mouflon to leave its lamb
some people got different sense of time
but if you see others feeding sheep busily, don't just shear every single of them or kill them for the skin
especially if someone killed the mouflon, can hurt the compost cycle to shear all the sheep, you waste a bowl on the sheep, 30 seconds to grow fur, 30 sec to have a lamb, and you standing there waiting for them to move 30 more seconds, while toddlers run around with shears to make shoes for themselves, its totally fine if the shepherd takes the shears if he kills a few sheep in meantime
you shouldn't complain until you don't see more than 7 sheep in pen (including mouflon)
probably the sheperd tries to make an apron
if you want fleece, then feed the lambs, its bare minimum
a full compost cycle is:
2 bowls of berries, 2 carrots, 1 wheat, make one compost, kill one sheep, make 4 mutton pies, this is what clears up all the side products
then there is carrot seeds row, clearing out dead lambs and bones
so feeding a sheep when you want fleece is bare minimum
you cant just go around demanding shears, if someone withholding it probably has a good reason for it
aprons are good for storage especially if there arent enough packs
also the people who can make it are generally more experienced ones
ive been doing aprons even before the buff on berries when you had to get 6 bowls from full berry bushes
and im okay to leave people 1-2 needles with yarn, even do the first right away so they don't waste milkweed , but if i made/fixed the pen, and fed a few of them, i think is totally fair if i make my apron first
if you make second or third shears, its basically griefing and wasting resources, there is a good reason why you are denied, and you should start feeding the sheep if you want to have fleece,

so is quite equal to griefing when i see people shearing sheep and making themselves clothes without any other part of the cycle
especially mass producing pads
if you want to make pads, same procedure: feed the sheep and then make the pads
i seen complaints about "oh you will be the reason people will die" and "you shouldn't withhold the shears"
while im exactly knowing how many they fed and i give them that amount, even 1-2 extra
wasting other peoples time is same as griefing, i hate this people who jump on every expensive item on cost of others work
if i spend 20 minutes to get an upgraded cart, its normal i want to use it
if i spend 20 minutes to get sheep is normal to make an apron for myself
you will get the shears afterwards, you can use other carts for yourself

"this is not the goal of the game, we are a society"
well, you forgot the part where you falsely assume that you are the most experienced player, and everybody is working in the city, generally 2-3 people do the hard work and the rest is leaching on them, you share when you got excess, everyone can gift a pack what he didn't made, or just make a pack from others furs, or shear the sheep he didn't fed, it will waste others work, time and it's a very disgraceful thing to do, you can gear up your own kids, disregarding the poor kid who works his ass off naked, and still nobody notices his dedication
the main problem is not that they take a few fleece or knives, and needles with yarn, the problem that they are rude about it, yell and threaten you and think that they are right about everything, this in my book is a stab
if you want to talk about it, ask it, most people will answer it, if you try to enforce others, be ready that you will meet someone who snowballs you to death or shoots you in the face, and no one ever will curse him, maybe you get a few curses too

if a bear starts biting people, someone lured a bear to camp for that reason, to cull people, they will do it again, saving every kid who ran to it, doesn't help. you should really think about saving adult fertile woman, kids can be born again if they are younger than 30. and wasting pads on first victims who don't even know to stand on items, may be a waste cause they run on it again.
if you got more pads, you should also hide some of it behind a corner or a tree, so griefers wont drop it out of bowl
i get that you want to save your kids and your related people but its still the same thing, plan ahead and do the work for it.
i see often times, one single bear kills everyone, im like, ok i wait 5 min to have less people, but people are looting bodies while some baby girls cry for food and no one cares

the irony? i shot the roleplay doctor with bow, he had the only needle with yarn, and while sitting on ten pads, no one else had a knife to save him cause he hoarded all to himself

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2019-01-24 09:21:32

Potjeh

Re: Roleplay smiths and roleplay doctors?

IDK, I generally go for early hoe when I'm smithing in Eve camp because otherwise people burn all the milkweed on stone hoes. Vein can wait a bit.

Also, feeding sheep is the easy part. If I clear 6+ sheep corpses from the pen and there's enough wool you bet I'm gonna make an apron even if I didn't feed all those sheep.

Last edited by Potjeh (2019-01-24 09:22:21)

#3 2019-01-24 09:50:58

hmrka

Aw come on not all roleplayers are like that, it sounds just like theyre noobs not taking the game seriously, not neccesarily roleplaying ppl. (by what you said.)

Yesterday I was a smith/medic/compost maker and well, also a roleplayer... kind of I guess. I was in an argument with a knife hoarder, and as soon as she got angry and shot someone I healed the shot person (was my first time successfully healing someone with an arrow wound!!!) and then stabbed her. Some idiot kid healed her but she starved right after lmao. Her sibling tried to kill me but she forgot my name after some time. I was worried that maybe I healed the wrong person and the dumbass was right but nope, the healed woman later brought us many rabbits and we had backpacks.

Later her mom accussed me of murdering all her children, I told her politely to heck off and don't bother me, and thats its not my fault her kid was a griefing idiot. She kept grieving so I told her "fine, we can bury her. but I still don't feel sorry for her." I helped her find a shovel and she buried her somewhere outside of town. Sure, if you're really really really angry about roleplayers you can see it as a waste of shovel, but roleplaying to me is still a part of the game.

Other than your accusations towards roleplayers I think what you said could be helpful for newbies smile Also I never keep my bp as baby unless I have some big project for the town I wanna try doing when older, or when everyone has clothes and backpacks. I give it to anyone who seems atleast half competent and would need it for their job.

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#4 2019-01-24 10:16:24

Nepumuk

I think he wouldn't have written half an essay if the issue wasn't dear to him so don't be too quick to dismiss it. People really do these things. Roleplay or not, a lot of (not just) new players opt to put themselves in a very narrow role in terms of what tasks they will and will not do and more often than not it is quite detrimental to the town's productivity and forces everyone else to pick up the slack which is understandably frustrating for the people that actually put in the work.

I am Eve Speed.

#5 2019-01-24 12:16:23

hmrka

Nepumuk wrote:

I think he wouldn't have written half an essay if the issue wasn't dear to him so don't be too quick to dismiss it. People really do these things. Roleplay or not, a lot of (not just) new players opt to put themselves in a very narrow role in terms of what tasks they will and will not do and more often than not it is quite detrimental to the town's productivity and forces everyone else to pick up the slack which is understandably frustrating for the people that actually put in the work.

It really sucks, and I agree with his points. I don't think you understood me, Im just trying to defend myself as a roleplayer. Like pein and you said, I think the issue is more about people choosing to keep it narrow, while there are more associated jobs with the one youre doing. For example when being a medic, you should be doing =
1. heal (trustworthy) people, make pads
2. feed sheep so they produce wool, not steal from a shepherd whos making himself apron. watching people around town and how they behave is ok too. this way you can see if someone is worth saving or no assuming theres few pads.
3. maybe make a medic station if medic stuff is all around town (not talking about hidden pads, they good)

If im an idiot and by roleplaying he means doing only the first thing, then yeah I 100% agree. Maybe Im just lucky enough to have never met a noob roleplayer doing only one job and failing. I mean one time one of my noob kids took care of berries for most of his life and yeah It's not a very ambitious job but he tried his best doing it lol

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#6 2019-01-24 17:22:22

pein

it was a lot of people lately

i had a sister in shrour family, i was there before, right before
she was 1 minute younger, she got pack, i didnt
she begged for the knife, they give her, that's fine, i can make new, i did , both were mine previously, no big deal
she said she is the shepherd
i got the sheep previous life and died at 55 cause i fed somebody and didn't had enough to make it home, i made a mine at age 4
and got a basket of iron
made all the tools required for the pen, we were even moving location of pen

she was too slow, she tried to do the things, but was just way too slow
she seen us smithing, she was ok with that
later i made a carrot farm and started feeding sheep, had the shears at me
obviously i wanted to make apron as i got the sheep previous life and havent had the chance to make one, as we had no iron we were killing sheep to make pies and have skins as side product, she was demanding shears all the time, even if told that she should wait and feed sheep
i got angry when she told she gonna make new shears, but she was just roaming around stating she is the shepherd, did some work, cant deny but she could understood that i run the things, and she must wait her time. i killed her and got killed then they killed each other and the line was dead in 3 gen, that was a good camp wasted cause of this drama.

i had one life where we had a pen and had tools, but mostly noobs only, was one older lady, working on important stuff, like pies and compost, my aunt, she gave me her apron with the knife realizing that im the only decent person there. we had some blue clothing, landed on a girl who was just running around and raising some of her own babies, nobody else. she was telling stupid stuff since birth, i choose to ignore it. i killed a griefer and i knew nobody can kill me for it, but i told people anyway what is the reason.
she was like: "im the ruler here and i will keep an eye on you" or something like that. i was like bitchplease. i let it go, i had to take the shears as we had no dung at all and compost was low, we had 2 shears and they kept shearing every sheep. i was shearing sheep when i got more of them, killing naked sheep, helping with everything. she was demanding shears then started plotting against me, telling her kids lies about me, and she got a hold on a pack with a knife, i stopped just for one second and she stab me, i knew where the pads are, got healed and stabbed her back, nobody dropped a tear

i had a life where i born back a bit later, had a farm set up in the top right corner, a nice 3x3 erry farm with board floor. had some kid come over there and said : "you i like you" big_smile he asked if he can help and i told him to water the rest of crops. people were helping around and we made nice wheat, milkweed and carrot farms, extending berries, making boards
others kept taking our soil and fixing the old bushes
i started to make an apron, but then i seen old lady who just took every single fleece to make pads, i took 2 back, she was angry at me with no reason, i knew she didn't made the pen or feed sheep as i was there right before, i taxed her with 2 small balls as she didn't ask anyone if she can take it, later she even took the boards i made, like from scratch, carried all butt logs, cut them, and built my road system near the berry farm
she made a + sign on a green biome, far from everything, cause she found a  free spot there
told her is dumb to make things there, as most of our city is on the jungle, we should extend toward the jungle
she told me im dumb
she kept taking all stuff i made, to do her own projects without any ground work, so i choose to snowball her a few times

other life, i returned to a city like after 1 hour break, same thing, i had the only apron, the only knife, and one of backpacks before, i didn't get nothing, that's fine
i made 2 carts and the first needle and yarn was made by me before, they made pads with the sheep i fed, so no apron for me, guy put the needle in his backpack, asked her to give it to me for a second
as i had 2,5 furs found and snared 2 other rabbits
meanwhile i left the cart near the rabbits, and fed one sheep as they didn't give me the needle and yarn cause its not mine , it was there  for hours, sure bitch cause i made it 2 hours before
finally i made a new, my sister was bringing the cart of rabbits, told her that's mine and i put it down for half minute
other guy was like "i will freak out cause someone ate my pie"
well bitch, you wear the clothing i made the other life and even withholding the needle, im still naked at 30 cause you use up the stuff i make with nothing in return

at least my sister gave back the cart and finally i made my pack,  hers was decaying that time
i was old already, like 35 till i had a pack for myself
then i jumped on making rubber and managed to upgrade my cart
literally 3 seconds later sister come and take it, i stop her and told her is not nice taking my cart
she was ranting about "you don't understand what this game about"
yeah i understand that you want everything i worked for, without lifting a finger
she was camping on top of me, waiting on  when i step away the cart, even saying "you move 5 tiles with the cart"
well, yeah, use the other one, i upgraded cause i want to use it, its normal, we got other, i made, its fine for you, she was trying to get rabbits, that's ok, but you don't need an upgraded cart for that necessarily
i told them several times to make ropes, cut boards, i would have done much more rubber and more carts, but still made 2 and upgraded it
lot of people theorize what should be done, but never do anything and jump on the fruits of labor
and that is annoying, resulting in fights, murder,  then even more idiots curse and kill the wrong person

i tend to become the most geared person very young, and make apron and knife every life
make rubber, cut bread,  kill sheep when needed, they cannot complain that im late or im withholding tools
especially if i been there before, i know who did what, and i produced way more im using that life
so the bare minimum is ask nicely, talk nicely on don't demand things without doing anything for it
in an ideal word they would give back all the stuff i made previously and it would save me 20 min, i don't even ask for it most times
i share when i got excess but i don't work for others convenience

it raises a flag every time you start name calling, begging or demanding  things you didn't work for
withholding shears is completely normal
i will start stabbing these people before they can do more harm
but then i get cursed or killed and even best case scenario they waste my time
stop putting yourself above others if you don't do the ground work, and stop assuming others got bad intentions for not giving you everything they made, wait your line, maybe if you talk normally they cooperate instead of being defensive

Last edited by pein (2019-01-24 17:32:02)

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2019-01-24 19:01:54

DestinyCall

In my villages, it is usually apron-makers who are shearing all the sheep, rather than roleplayers or cotton pad makers.   I'll give them one chance to knock it off, then I confiscate the shears for the rest of my life.   They will eventually get enough wool to finish the sweater and then come begging for shears to finish their personal project.    I don't mind turning it in to an apron for them, but they do not get to have the shears back.

If they had treated the sheep properly, it wouldn't have been a problem, but they had to get greedy.  Shear all the sheep without feeding any or feeding adults to regrow the wool because they are too lazy to deal with a full pen.  It is so wasteful and uses up limited resources like carrots without furthering the compost cycle.

On the upside, about half the people I talk to about it seem to be acting out of ignorance, rather than malice.  They knock it off after being told to stop.  The other half either already knew or just don't care that they are doing it wrong.  And one time I ran into a genius who insisted that we already had too much sheep dung, so feeding adults was better than making more sheep.   I didn't bother arguing with that one.  But I did make sure to keep the shears in my pack and kill adult sheep as soon as I finished shearing for the rest of that life.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-01-24 19:13:02)

#8 2019-01-24 19:56:43

Potjeh

That guy was right, though. Huge mutton fields reduce efficiency of everyone in the town, and moving dung out of pen to drop it on ground is a waste of iron, it should only be put directly on compost. And an apron is handy when you want to make rubber, but spending your whole childhood on making compost piles is a waste of time, you need to go out and forage for ropes for buckets and maybe even lasso and rope for horse cart.

#9 2019-01-24 20:28:21

pein

well, any of my pens are 5x5 if i think the city can have a future
7 sheep including mouflon is not too much
that's 7/25, so you can have 7 dead, 7 poop, and still 7 sheep if you don't let the lambs die, so first 2 aprons are easy to make, and the pies are eaten quite fast at start.
no reason to complain having 7 unsheared sheep, yeah it means soemone making apron, very likely that the guy who ran in 6 times with bowl of berries in past 3 minutes

#10 2019-01-24 23:44:43

DestinyCall

Potjeh wrote:

That guy was right, though. Huge mutton fields reduce efficiency of everyone in the town, and moving dung out of pen to drop it on ground is a waste of iron, it should only be put directly on compost. And an apron is handy when you want to make rubber, but spending your whole childhood on making compost piles is a waste of time, you need to go out and forage for ropes for buckets and maybe even lasso and rope for horse cart.

If we had enough dirt, I wouldn't have been as bothered by it, but I was there because no one was making new compost piles.  That's why there was so much poop on the ground.  His desire for a new apron was more important than clearing the pen.

It isn't the end of the world, but that kind of behavior really bothers me.

#11 2019-01-25 05:43:35

pein

wheat  fields are ok
compost piles are  ok
straw and dung piles not ok
don't rush pies, don't rush dung transport
don't rush shearing

berries should be always picked in bowl, you still can eat from it both left and right click, ideal job for toddlers
feeding lamb is better, meat is free, cook it and eat instead of berries, cooking half of rabbits on skewer is ok, having 1-2 cooked mutton per population is good for yum, when no plates, and no baskets to store the mutton, and already got like 10 compost, 2 boxes of pies, then you can consider feeding
sheared sheep, but still ask someone if willing to cook all and transport it

i will always kill people who kill mouflon, no space in pen? extend it
no plates? make more
no storage? make more
if you don't then don't be a smartass, especially rude smartass

maybe we should stab people from 2 sides to execute them, this would show others that you arent a killer, its against a griefer/lazyass

#12 2019-01-26 16:06:49

CrazyEddie

If there is plenty of compost and plenty of dung and plenty of meat then it's absolutely correct to feed and shear adult sheep instead of butchering them. Aprons are extremely valuable and should be produced as quickly as possible; feeding lambs instead of sheep to get the necessary wool creates extra work (to clear the pen) which consumes extra time and labor. If compost, dung, and meat are not in short supply then it's a waste of time and effort to make more just because you need wool.

In this situation, it's even correct to shear the last sheep.

If compost, dung, or meat are scarce then it's absolutely incorrect to feed sheep instead of lambs.

I've rarely found myself in a situation where it would be correct to feed and shear adult sheep. I always seem to be in towns where dung and compost are in very short supply (although mutton is usually very abundant).

#13 2019-01-26 18:25:29

Booklat1

Add roleplay roadmakers to the list. I hate the lot of them. Specially ones stealing rocks from forge.

#14 2019-01-26 20:09:50

DestinyCall

Booklat1 wrote:

Add roleplay roadmakers to the list. I hate the lot of them. Specially ones stealing rocks from forge.

Yes, nothing worse than some kid who insists upon building a road through the middle of an eve camp.   Most useless thing and you can't even remove it until you get pickaxe.

#15 2019-01-27 01:21:46

Morti

pein wrote:

once the toolheads are made into tools, they cannot be remade into something else

Click "Show more ways..."

Argue about cost or what ever other reasons people have for playing a game but at least try to share truth, if you have it.

#16 2019-01-27 02:36:35

pein

Morti wrote:
pein wrote:

Click "Show more ways..."

Argue about cost or what ever other reasons people have for playing a game but at least try to share truth, if you have it.

hello, can you read?
toolheads into tools
3 adzes and 5 mining picks will never get used
so at least don't put the shafts on everything until needed, so people can convert it back to steel

#17 2019-01-27 18:54:13

Falsewall

pein wrote:

...kids can be born again if they are younger than 30.

I read a post in the past month where someone was saying everyone should die at 40 because we can respawn as kids back into the town.

Where did you get 30?
EDIT: Just remembered this post was about eeves who of course spawn with like 10 years already on them.

Never mind

Last edited by Falsewall (2019-01-27 18:56:20)

Board footer