One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-22 14:59:01

LittleFire

Why was I never in San-Cal

I played the game a lot during the san-cal "Golden age" and was not there a single time. Sad I missed out, but the mechanics of this game are confusing, and I wondered if anyone could explain spawning mechanics.

#2 2019-01-22 19:19:41

pein

Re: Why was I never in San-Cal

the hype was when they got back in january
i didn't knew i was in sancal, only when i seen the video
i laid down the bell tower foundations which blocked the mosquitoes out
my son did the hard work (Dodge)
he was too young to lift the blocks, and i made the first cart so i helped with that part
then we doubled up some of them

i also missed out, i plaeyd like 2 games that day that time

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2019-01-22 20:09:23

BlueDiamondAvatar

So there's how the spawn mechanics work now, and how they worked during the San-Cal era.  While San-Cal was around, if you weren't specifying a server to log-in to, you would get randomly assigned a server when you started your OHOL client program, and then keep playing on that server for the rest of the day and/or period of time you had the client up. 

Jason recently made the servers less "sticky" as a part of balancing the server load and population distribution between active servers.  So I think your server assignment is even more fluid.

I really loved San-Cal. So I figured out that it was on Server 2, and that I could go into the settings and make public server 2 my "custom server". 

Right now server 2 hosts a number of fun and long-lived cities, even though I'm pretty sure we've lost San-Cal.    Because there are more people using the setting to make sure they log in to server 2, it makes it less likely that people will randomly be assigned to server 2 by the random OHOL system (AKA reflector).

Hope that helps,

p.s.  pein, I was the one that started planting the jungle berry patch, you happened to be on at the same time and we talked about the cistern/plank design and the mosquito wall you had already put up.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#4 2019-01-22 20:55:23

pein

yeah i started with the cistern and the planks, i did that other lifes too just not X shape

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-01-22 21:06:44

CrazyEddie

BlueDiamondAvatar wrote:

Because there are more people using the setting to make sure they log in to server 2, it makes it less likely that people will randomly be assigned to server 2 by the random OHOL system (AKA reflector).

One minor correction. The reflector doesn't consider how many people are already on a server when it sends a new connection there. All active servers have the same chance to get any new player from the reflector. (... well, almost. The probabilities are weighted by the server max capacity, and server1 has a lower max capacity than the others, so server1 will be sent slightly fewer new players by the reflector than the others.)

#6 2019-01-22 23:29:39

Grim_Arbiter

I only spawned into this town once before I ever saw it mentioned. There was the start to the bell and the mosquitos were trapped. There was gold and lasso spread pretty far from the bell base and i brought them back but started having kids. I took my kids to the sign and said welcome to sancalvidor. That bell got finished after my first kid by someone else thankfully.

While that town was nice I still like the city that had a a hospital named hspivtl with a blue corner the most. Anyone know the name of that one? It had a far south road that was trying to connect to a another bell town called tak.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

Board footer