One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-18 03:17:34

GreatShawn

This new update sucks (IMO)

Okay. When I say this update sucks it doesn't mean the content sucks, it means that the new update made the marconi radios useless since the new radios are easier to make and are more useful. It also means one week of developing wasted. So here are some ideas:

1. Make marconi radios have some sort of advantage (Like more channels)
2. Make the AM radios be based on the marconi radios (One has to be made before the other)

That's all i can think of. Let's hope jason sees this and make some improvements.

Last edited by GreatShawn (2019-01-18 03:19:21)

#2 2019-01-18 04:27:56

ryanb
Website

Re: This new update sucks (IMO)

The new transmitter and receiver take more resources (10 more copper), and they do use a lot of the objects added from the previous update. But I agree with you. There is no point in building the older ones.

I’m surprised Jason didn’t add the microphone and speaker to the existing transmitter and receiver. It may not be as technically correct but it would mean the existing ones still have a use. Oh well.

Last edited by ryanb (2019-01-18 04:28:20)

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#3 2019-01-18 04:43:50

Grim_Arbiter

The last one was just to get us ready for this one.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2019-01-18 05:52:56

apereason

also one has already been made on server 2
https://media.discordapp.net/attachment … nknown.png
ryanb's transmitter guide helps https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5043

Last edited by apereason (2019-01-18 05:56:31)

#5 2019-01-18 05:59:39

Grim_Arbiter

apereason wrote:

also one has already been made on server 2
https://media.discordapp.net/attachment … nknown.png
ryanb's transmitter guide helps https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5043

Is this one in a building called HQ again? I died laughing when i saw that the first time.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#6 2019-01-18 07:16:27

lionon

GreatShawn wrote:

Okay. When I say this update sucks it doesn't mean the content sucks, it means that the new update made the marconi radios useless since the new radios are easier to make and are more useful. It also means one week of developing wasted.

Nah, the last one was more about all the immediate steps rather than the (useless) telegraph. As far as I get that was just added a) to have at least something get out b) have some time development accuracy. So I don't see it as "waste".

However, well lets just say, I do see a sense of "cleanup" in the further. At least that's how I would do it, throwing out everything that makes no sense. And there is a quite a bunch.

#7 2019-01-18 07:50:36

Tarr
Banned

I mean this is essentially happened when pumps were released. First week was the very first pump, second week was kerosene pump, and third and final week was the diesel engine + car. While I do think having a morse machine is basically useless it did set up the ability for more recipes using the materials in the future.

I don't have harsh feelings to this sort of update style but I do think if he's doing it that way to not make the weeks update dead content instantly. Some people still build pumps but no one within reason is going to build a blinker.

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2019-01-18 08:48:54

Erudaru

I'm ok with that, but at least let me remove the old useless shitty devices sad

#9 2019-01-18 12:33:02

pein

i wrote a few complaints on github

i didn't really dive into the radios, im collecting copper and zink sometimes, but not a priority
i just see that we got tons of sand yet no way to make glass bowls, plates, jars, walls, so all that sand is unremovable garbage

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2019-01-18 14:05:43

Erudaru

The beauty of this game is that it's being improved weekly, as we speak. But, having said that, it also means that you will not get all at once. As the developer, Jason has to set priorities. I don't like the last few updates, some people do. But I respect Jason's decisions. After all I believe he's trying to do a good job, which probably includes making a fun game while at the same time keeping the integrity of his initial concept. We had much more horrible updates in the past ( apocalypse, dogocalypse,...) but they were fixed rather quickly. Of course we should complain when it's appropriate, but also we need to have a bit more patience and understanding. Complaining about sand being useless right now when it was just added is out of place in my opinion. We as the players should set priorities too. Many simple things are missing or don't make sense in this game, but obviously the greatest priority right now is giving dogs a purpose. Where are the hunting dogs, shepherds, retrievers and guarding dogs? My patience has its limits!

#11 2019-01-18 14:38:36

Dodge

Your title sucks (IMO)

the morse machine will probably belong in a museum once we get to this point or people will do it for fun

Even if it makes the older update obsolete it wasnt going to get any better any way, unless you want to go full in and learn morse code

The marconi receiver and partial gap transmitter served has an introduction to electricity and all the new related tech that will come in the new updates, he added a lot of content that will get used for later techs, doesnt matter that its useless now, you see a lot of dogs or painted walls?

Guess what you cant jump into electricity by making something really advanced you start with the basics

Who knows what he will add next

#12 2019-01-19 03:39:18

GreatShawn

Dodge wrote:

Your title sucks (IMO)

Excuse Me?

#13 2019-01-19 03:55:16

BladeWoods

I agree these last updates haven't been great, Jason has said this game is supposed to be about *modern* people rebuilding civilization. That's why there's no bronze age or medieval swords and armor or a lot of other historical things, because modern people know to skip that shit. So why wasn't morse telegraph skipped?

Also, I'm very concerned about the future of electricity because these radios never run out of battery. They have an infinite amount of power. How's that going to work. Also, we never even finished oil.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-01-19 03:56:10)

#14 2019-01-19 04:50:32

Lily

You can use the earlier one to encrypt your messages in a secret code.

#15 2019-01-19 21:03:29

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, the idea here was that spark gap would become obsolete when AM was introduced, just like it did in real life.

HOWEVER, the stuff needed to make spark gap laid the foundation for AM, and that was a huge update.  Copper, coils, capacitors, antennas, batteries, chemistry, etc.  Most of that stuff, except for the spark gap terminals and the coherer, is used in AM (with the addition of vacuum tubes, mics, and speakers).

But even the light bulb in the spark-gap receiver paved the way for vacuum tubes (glass blowing).

So the dev week spent making the spark gap was not wasted!

#16 2019-01-20 06:04:18

Lily

Just wait until we have walkie talkies or phones, then we can carry the radio around with us. That would be pretty cool.

#17 2019-01-20 06:09:27

Crumpaloo

Lily wrote:

Just wait until we have walkie talkies or phones, then we can carry the radio around with us. That would be pretty cool.

Like as a pick up able item? Mate cars barley last one generation, how long you think a small, easily disposable and highly resources intensive invention like that gonna last?

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#18 2019-01-20 06:27:28

Grim_Arbiter

Crumpaloo wrote:
Lily wrote:

Like as a pick up able item? Mate cars barley last one generation, how long you think a small, easily disposable and highly resources intensive invention like that gonna last?

I mean if its a nokia it should last forever.

--Grim

#19 2019-01-20 07:54:41

Crumpaloo

Grim_Arbiter wrote:
Crumpaloo wrote:
Lily wrote:

I mean if its a nokia it should last forever.

ha

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#20 2019-01-20 13:04:19

Booklat1

Crumpaloo wrote:
Lily wrote:

except phones don't allow you to run faster than a horse into the wilds without carrying fuel only to find out you cant go back and lost a car. It would be easy to grief as anything that is expensive but not as easy.

Board footer