One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-13 22:33:48

Gederian

Paul Bunyan Can Help Towns Live Forever

Make an ax and some extra ax heads and put them in your backpack.

Set off in one direction chopping down trees in a straight line until you die.

This will make it infinity easier for new eves to find your town!

#2 2019-01-13 23:15:46

CrazyEddie

Re: Paul Bunyan Can Help Towns Live Forever

I LIKE IT

Let's handwave estimate and say that for every ten tiles you go in a single direction, you'll pass by three trees within a few tiles on either side of your path. So for a thousand-tile journey you'll cut 300 trees which needs three axe heads.

It takes about ten minutes to travel a thousand tiles on foot if you're living off the land as you go (and it needs to be a foot journey; going on a horse won't help, because you'll have to keep dismounting to cut trees). So if your town is just utterly flush with iron, take a hand cart, four baskets, twelve axe heads, a backpack, and an axe. Fill the backpack with bananas when you pass through jungles to sustain you as you go. Cut a trail four thousand tiles long; leave when you're old enough to haul a cart, and spend your last few years making an interesting stone sculpture at the end of the trail.

Four thousand tiles is enough to cross the paths of a LOT of Eve camps. You'll probably run across a few actual camps (probably dead), but more importantly, almost everyone else will run across your trail once they start foraging away from their starting spot.

You'll need to start making axe heads as soon as you can pick things up, and you'll have to hope that nobody is paying attention to the forge or you'll get stabbed really fast.

Don't forget to leave arrows showing which way to go! You want them to find your town, not your bones!

#3 2019-01-13 23:29:56

hmrka

One time when I was eve's child I went looking for a good place to camp and found chopped trees, which led me to an abandoned town. My mom didn't make it sadly, she was too new... I told her to name me gio and she named herself gio, then named me gio, lol.  And then she starved when I was two years old - I barely survived!

me: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=2698323

Ty for whoever decided to cut the trees, I probably would wander for like 30 mins if they weren't there. Also the idea is good i'll try doing it when i get born as male.

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#4 2019-01-13 23:53:40

Gederian

I've done this a few times but not enough, I've even recruited others in game when we ran out of women!

I've ran across other settlements every time but just kept chopping by.

I usually do two ax heads, two pies, and one ax in hand. I like to keep moving.

It's harder than you think to not die and/or loose axes. Chopping the right tree is hard work!

Be sure to go in a straight line as much as possible. Chop trees in sweet spots where people will definitely go and be curious. Make sure your stumps will be easily seen!

Do you think it's better to chop N/S or E/W? Probably doesn't matter much in the end.

I'll be chopping E/W on server 2 for a few lives if you feel like doing the same and we'll see what happens! Probably better than bells!

#5 2019-01-14 01:50:36

CrazyEddie

Smart people looking for things will travel more N-S than they do E-W, so make your trail E-W to maximize the chance of being seen.

#6 2019-01-14 01:55:30

antking:]#

I can see this working both ways, eves settling down near the path because of all the free fire wood! but I  can see eves following this trail like bees to honey!

If your town knows what you are doing they might help, and to solidify the road you can add flooring, but this only should be done if you have help.

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#7 2019-01-14 02:19:04

Booklat1

firewood and bowls are the best things eves can ask for so in the very rare case one stumbles by, for example, a swamp with all trees cut, it'll be like christmaas for that eve.

#8 2019-01-14 02:24:36

CrazyEddie

If you pick your Eve spot because there's some free firewood you're not going to live to go exploring much further.

#9 2019-01-14 02:35:09

Grim_Arbiter

CrazyEddie wrote:

Smart people looking for things will travel more N-S than they do E-W, so make your trail E-W to maximize the chance of being seen.

I still say diagonal directions like NE or SW.

When I get off work tonight I'm going to write the ultimate guide to discovering town ruins and other people. I've finally got it down to where I can usually find LIVE people everytime I go looking as eve or close to it. I'm going to include things like this lumberjack idea that can be done to help people like me searching.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#10 2019-01-14 03:31:03

BlueDiamondAvatar

Yes! 

Two things I love doing.  Chopping down trees and making paths.  Totally doing this!

And really looking forward to your magnum opus, Grim.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#11 2019-01-14 04:17:27

Taz

This inspired me.  I did it today on Server 2.  Discovered a decent sized village just 2 Axe-Heads distance to the west of my village.  They're now connected by a trail of downed trees. big_smile

#12 2019-01-14 08:34:46

pein

ok, so the map is a big flat thing, as we seen the born places, it palces people inside a circle
while the biome generation looks random, it isnt
if you pay attention, there is a direction on the map, which is same as the direction of biome sides, which is same as the direction of the vein which is same as the direction of the next biome of same type, i used to think is diagonal, but sometimes is straight upward direction, every biome has a flat side for a while , i cant really explain it, its just instinct, once we were triplets, our mom was a newbee, i looked at the map and i say lets go nw.

our mom was running trough that spot, but she didn't considered it good, maybe cause it had a lot of trees, but i knew it gonna be a desert there and if its near the green we born, and has water, gonna be perfect, and so it was, happens a lot of times, i guess its experience, that i know the direction beforehand, at least diagonal or straight, this seems to be the position from center of map? or center of the circle we born in

mathematically speaking its kinda bad to leave marks like that, if you catch the inner circle than maybe you find soemthing, if not it's a waste of time, people will still find it by chance but its unlikely

i think spiral would be the best, you would chop off a few trees, spiral out for like 7-8 biomes around the camp
but might be annoying to search for marks and run in  circles

if you got a bell ringing
i guess going toward it  or max 90 degree to it is good idea

lately i spawned in a few places , and when was looking for iron i found nothing, then going further, i find small to medium camps
often the reason they die out is too slow tool making, griefers or too much population, based on the marks
generally not worth moving over, maybe to leave 1-2 girls there

but this really gave me new ideas we could find out from the data we got

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#13 2019-01-14 09:02:34

WalrusesConquer

I once walked east for a while. Saddened by wasting of time  I let a boar kill me, only to find a camp a few meters away!

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

Board footer