One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-18 16:38:56

Inspiratieloos

We need better communication

A good society is a society which communicates well. We humans even got a whole hormone what reward us when we interact in a positive way with other people. That's why we developed language, writing, telephones and the Internet. It's all about communicating with each other. A forum, like this or youtube, facebook, instagram, google, wikipedia. Everything is about communicating with each other. Something what helped us go forward. The last decades we as a society went so much forward, and all because we could communicate better with each other.

I love to compare One Hour One Life to our real world, and one thing stands out much and that is the lack of communicating. The only way we can communicate is by talking, but that's the limit and even that is limited by a couple letters.

So my statement is: We really need better ways to communicate, to write our history down, to state rules. I think the societies in this awesome game will develop much faster and will be more organized if we had tools to communicate and write things down.

Last edited by Inspiratieloos (2018-03-18 16:39:25)

#2 2018-03-19 03:21:59

Siolfor the Jackal

Re: We need better communication

What about emotes or something? I think a couple of little emote messages or something coild help

#3 2018-03-19 04:43:03

Twinsen

Siolfor the Jackal wrote:

What about emotes or something? I think a couple of little emote messages or something coild help

I originally try to say emotes didn't exist back in the day; but after thinking through our ancient civilization, I think we misinterpret the Egyptians.

#4 2018-03-19 06:05:28

Joriom
Website

Twinsen wrote:
Siolfor the Jackal wrote:

I originally try to say emotes didn't exist back in the day; but after thinking through our ancient civilization, I think we misinterpret the Egyptians.

You know that "emotes" are just a poot attempt to help you show your factial expression and body language without the other person being able to see you, right?
No, there were no "emotes" back in the day. People had the oryginal thing - making faces, waving hands, hand gestures... you know? The stuff you  can do in this mythical thing called "Real Life".

#5 2018-03-19 07:18:41

Siolfor the Jackal

Yeah that's exactly what I meant. There's no way to just wave or nod or express anything quickly. Not sure the best way to implement something like that but text chat by itself is a bit too clunky

#6 2018-03-19 08:02:53

Helperguy

gestures! this is a good idea. pointing in four or eight directions by keyboard would be very nice!

#7 2018-03-19 09:20:08

katastic

#8 2018-03-19 22:35:14

Bluefacegamer

Maybe there’s already a system of writing on the game but everyone and their mother is spamming carrots and no ones discovered it yet

#9 2018-03-19 22:47:18

Left4twenty

A resource and space expensive manner of writing in the game currently.  Pick symbolic static items, one for each letter of the alphabet (try using first letter or name of thing as the letter to make things simple)  pick something to represent a space (empty space, probably)  have everyone agree on the meaning of these symbols, write out your message, I think current limit is something like 70 characters on a screen using this, but if the items are static and your meaning of your symbols is capable of being passed to your descendants, then you've created writing, and Jason didn't even have to just give it to you without effort

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#10 2018-03-20 03:42:49

EvilBlackCat

I think signs would be a good thing. They need to be crafted and would have a limited number of letters so it wouldn't make things too easy and would be pretty realistic. Then you could label things around your camp/civ so people know what's what and even name a place.

Board footer