One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-08 07:55:37

Alias

On twins (again)

Yesterday I played with first-timer as twins, we coordinated over voice chat. I knew it might be tough because of approach to twins here...
First spawn Seemed like generation 3, mom asks are we new, I say N, he says Y after a moment. She says something more I missed and then quickly ends with "goodbye griefers". I know where it came from and don't hold a grudge, but my twin was puzzled...

But luckily this was it. Later we spawned in town with sheep pen and some crops and it was glorious. I mostly taught him, but we accomplished this way a lot: we cared for berries and wheat, made some compost, baked a lot of pies. We had at least 6 kids each, most lived to "self-reliance" age.
Since there was corn and pen I decided we will do my thing and get cow. We went far away to make three arrows (raising awesome kid who helped and survived the whole trip) and finally got bison, calf and raised it. Sadly no time for milk.
He died at 57 due to yellow fever, I unfortunately starved at 59.

All of this with first-timer! Coordination is amazing and so is not spending minutes to find coworker for cow business.
Since many abandon twins out of fear by default, how else are experienced players to introduce people they know into the game if not by twins, hmm?
And to our first "mom": I say you missed a lot of help to your camp by abandoning us.

#2 2019-01-08 08:04:50

Tarr
Banned

Re: On twins (again)

The thing is it's very easy for people to remember all the bad experiences we've had with groups of players. I know quite a few very good players who like to twin up so it's clear twins can be a very good thing for a town in general. I personally go back and forth between raising and not raising twins based on whether I've seen griefer twins+ recently in my gameplay. I mean even I like to occasionally play in groups because it's a lot less stress overall when you know at least a few people in the village are going to be useful.

If Jason would just add in both twins getting cursed if one does I'm sure people would be more inclined to raise twins in the first place. As is, if your twins turn out to be bad eggs it's much more difficult to deal with two people with knives than just one.

fug it’s Tarr.

#3 2019-01-08 08:14:43

lionon

Tarr wrote:

If Jason would just add in both twins getting cursed if one does I'm sure people would be more inclined to raise twins in the first place. As is, if your twins turn out to be bad eggs it's much more difficult to deal with two people with knives than just one.

Yes, I just posted that suggestion on reddit.

#4 2019-01-08 08:15:33

Alias

This! Remembering extremes most clearly. Plus confirmation bias: I guess first mom stayed convinced we were griefers, made the right choice and this reinforced her conviction to abandon twins in the future even more. Unfortunate.
Double-curse seems like straightforward solution.

#5 2019-01-08 08:21:40

Tarr
Banned

lionon wrote:
Tarr wrote:

Yes, I just posted that suggestion on reddit.

Yeah last time I tried to suggest it to Jason was during a thread on curse tweaking to specifically address the issue. He wasn't worried about it at the time and suggested a joke response of kidnapping/prisons for twins and well that's why I built prisons rofl.

fug it’s Tarr.

#6 2019-01-08 08:45:46

startafight

when twins first came out i was super excited to raise them and see how it turns out - here are the ones that stuck out to me

1. a set of triplets abandoned by their mother at birth. i was a male and fed them anyways. they were good kids but after i died they went on a murdering rampage
2. a set of twins (born to my sister who i warned about the dangers of twins) who ended up killing the lineage
3. a set of triplets who i raised in an eve camp (first time trying to raise multiples in an eve camp) who sucked up all the wild food in the area. one died early so the others suicided at age 6, leaving all my girls to starve
4. a set of twins who ate up all everything in camp and force fed all the adults, resulting in a famine

the issue is that with coordination this kind of shitty griefing is possible. recently ive seen good twins who do a lot to help out the family and i understand that but when you have a small line its a big risk to just hope that the multiples you are raising arent assholes. there needs to be a special method to deal with twins - maybe making it so that when one is on a murder cooldown both of them are stunned would help. either way, ive raised more shitty lineage-ending twins than good ones so i'd rather be safe than sorry hmm tho i wont stop others from raising them after i abandon em

#7 2019-01-08 08:45:52

pein

say your name as twins

Last edited by pein (2019-01-08 10:47:03)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-01-08 15:25:04

WomanWizard

startafight wrote:

when twins first came out i was super excited to raise them and see how it turns out - here are the ones that stuck out to me

1. a set of triplets abandoned by their mother at birth. i was a male and fed them anyways. they were good kids but after i died they went on a murdering rampage
2. a set of twins (born to my sister who i warned about the dangers of twins) who ended up killing the lineage
3. a set of triplets who i raised in an eve camp (first time trying to raise multiples in an eve camp) who sucked up all the wild food in the area. one died early so the others suicided at age 6, leaving all my girls to starve
4. a set of twins who ate up all everything in camp and force fed all the adults, resulting in a famine

the issue is that with coordination this kind of shitty griefing is possible. recently ive seen good twins who do a lot to help out the family and i understand that but when you have a small line its a big risk to just hope that the multiples you are raising arent assholes. there needs to be a special method to deal with twins - maybe making it so that when one is on a murder cooldown both of them are stunned would help. either way, ive raised more shitty lineage-ending twins than good ones so i'd rather be safe than sorry hmm tho i wont stop others from raising them after i abandon em

On the flip side, I feel that I've raised more good twins than bad twins. The ones that stick out the most to me:

1. A set of quads that were born to a dying mother that we worked as a family to keep alive. I brought their adoptive mom food while she cycled between feeding them and they grew up to be appreciative and incredibly helpful around town. I gave one a hat and called him the chosen one and he rolled with it for the rest of his life. When one died, the rest stayed because they were sure he could spawn back in fairly easy. When things I needed went missing, they were quick to try and get them back where they were needed.
2. A set of triplet sons I raised in an Eve camp. I was nearly old but took them back to camp anyway and made sure they made it to childhood. When I didn't have any surviving daughters they stuck around to mess around camp and experiment with things. They were polite and appreciative and when I checked the family tree they all lived to old age even after everyone else was gone.
3. A pair of abandoned twins that were born while I was putting together some sheep food. I paused in my task to take them somewhere warm, named them Remus and Romulus and they grew up to be incredibly helpful. I gave one of them a wolf hat and the other found one as well. They made sure to let me know that I was a good dad. They also had a younger brother named Mike, who I also cared for.
4. A pair of twin girls that I gave birth to after my bloodthirsty mother had died. They mostly stuck out to me because my mother had been stabbing all the noobs and I'm sure they would not have survived had they been born just a bit earlier. They were newish, but worked hard to keep the town going and I was able to give them and their kids a medicine demonstration before I died (I got one to stab me and the other to heal me.) It was great being able to tell one of them that we were starting soon and have her inform me that her sister was almost back at camp. Plus, one was able to go out and gather while the other stayed back to take care of the kids.

As for griefer twins, the only set I can think of that really stuck with me was a pair of boys that I think went on to murder people after I died. But that town was swimming in griefers to begin with, so for all I know they were cleaning up the mess. They were quite polite in game, but also in love with the number of people I was having to stab that night, so.... it's hard to say.

The thing about twins is that they are more obvious, so you are more likely to remember them when something goes wrong. When they grief it's sticks out more because one, they are twins and that's unusual, and two, it hurts more because they are often more coordinated. But being more coordinated can also be a great thing when they work together to help the town. I feel that many of them grief because they're treated like garbage at birth, which is true for non-twins as well. Unfortunately the twins are more likely to be able to do something about it.

Your newbies are also far more likely to survive if they are paired with a twin. I've been playing with my brother after getting him the game for Christmas and being able to stuff a pie in his face while he's audibly worrying about starving to death is surprisingly helpful.

#9 2019-01-08 17:00:33

MultiLife

Around two weeks ago three sets of twins were born in one town during my life. First set had one of them actively pursue a knife for 'hunting', 'bread' and 'for justice' (it changed every time) - personally I never witnessed them doing any work. Ended up stabbing one when I told him to not make a knife as he smithed one. My daughter shot the other and got stabbed for it.

The second set was a pair of foul-mouthed girls that instantly stabbed a random farmer when they got a hold of a knife. They both starved (the other was holding mashed rabbit bowl while the other was on a murder cooldown - that's not food, girls).

The third set lived to like 6 years and I only saw them pushing berry bowl berries into talking people, constantly. They just starved in the end.

Magic of multiples.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-01-08 18:18:54)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#10 2019-01-08 19:37:40

Tane

WomanWizard wrote:

3. A pair of abandoned twins that were born while I was putting together some sheep food. I paused in my task to take them somewhere warm, named them Remus and Romulus and they grew up to be incredibly helpful. I gave one of them a wolf hat and the other found one as well. They made sure to let me know that I was a good dad. They also had a younger brother named Mike, who I also cared for.

Had what I thought were my last kids, a pair of girls I named romulus and remus since they'd be starting up the city. Then had two more girls and the twins griefed us so hard it killed the village.

On the other hand, I was once part of a pair of goose cult twins that kept a city alive when we were flooded with noob players that never replenished the farms. Just ate and ate until they died.
Our kids ended up being really good even though we taught them some of that silly goose stuff

#11 2019-01-09 01:09:25

The_Anabaptist

Alternate idea to cursing all twins/triplets/quadruplets:

How about you have a curse multiplier?  1 curse = 2 for twins, 3 for triplets, 4 for quadruplets.

I would much rather rack up the curses quicker on a single bad egg than spread them out to all of them.  Then at least one of them might end up in donkey town.
Plus then it doesn't penalize the random matches of multiples, some of whom might be good.

The_Anabaptist

#12 2019-01-09 01:49:36

startafight

pein wrote:

say your name as twins

this would be a good method of ensuring that the twins are not griefers.... but also pein werent there a couple of ppl pretending to be u a while back? if we start using this as a method for confirming the identity of twins that dumb identity theft might happen again

i had an idea tho: what if there was a special option specifically for the "play with friends" option that lets u choose to eve? that way the idea of an "adam" thats been pushed about for a bit could happen while also giving ppl who play with others an option to be automatically guaranteed a life without abandonment

also - if jason goes back on his idea of "blessing" ppl (to recap it was supposed to work like the curse system but in reverse so if u get enough blessings ur speech turns blue to indicate ur a nice player) that creates visual markers but only kicks in *during infanthood* and when *playing with friends* it would help ppl distinguish the good twins from the shitty bad twins

WomanWizard wrote:

The thing about twins is that they are more obvious, so you are more likely to remember them when something goes wrong. When they grief it's sticks out more because one, they are twins and that's unusual, and two, it hurts more because they are often more coordinated. But being more coordinated can also be a great thing when they work together to help the town. I feel that many of them grief because they're treated like garbage at birth, which is true for non-twins as well. Unfortunately the twins are more likely to be able to do something about it.

Your newbies are also far more likely to survive if they are paired with a twin. I've been playing with my brother after getting him the game for Christmas and being able to stuff a pie in his face while he's audibly worrying about starving to death is surprisingly helpful.

i havent played much since the dog update so idk if donkey town had a big impact on the number of griefer twins around but i have only raised one set of twins that i couldnt confirm were griefers. the point of the list was that ive given them quite a few chances but they were either too new (and therefore just eating and not learning or contributing) or lineage-enders

i want to trust twins and i want to give them a chance b/c i know a lot of good ppl like to twin!! but currently saying "keep twins" is like saying "keep every baby" - there are situation when u can afford to keep them but more where keeping them hurts the lineage

personally id only keep twins in a big, older town. maybe ill give raising them a shot again if cursing mechanics are changed but for now... its baby skeleton time

Last edited by startafight (2019-01-09 01:58:39)

#13 2019-01-09 07:36:58

WalrusesConquer

Eve run and needed girls. Got twins. I thought that they would suicide, but when they stayed I was surprised. Certain that they would die, I tried to get a yum bonus and warm - only to step onto a snake. Those girls lived to fertile age and birthed many babies

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#14 2019-01-11 18:17:03

CrazyEddie

I had twins yesterday. I told them that twins have a bad rap, that there are too many twins who f* around and ruin towns. They said WE WONT. I said they need to behave or the town will kill them; someone else standing nearby said she'd be watching. They said WE WILL BEHAVE.

So I raised them, showed them the town, gave them some suggestions on how to help out. I think they were new-ish, with some but not a lot of experience.

And you know what? They helped out, worked hard, and nobody caused any problems. The town did really well.

#15 2019-01-11 18:57:07

Potjeh

TBH I prefer triplets. If one twin dies the other almost always suicides, with triplets the other two are a lot more likely to stay.

#16 2019-01-11 18:58:21

Gederian

I think something needs to be done about twins. They should be a blessing.

Getting cursed as a twin should amplify the number of curses both twins get so one bad twin in a town can easily get them both sent to donkey town their next lives with just three curses.

There is really no downside to being a twin, there should be one!

#17 2019-01-11 19:04:57

Tarr
Banned

Gederian wrote:

I think something needs to be done about twins. They should be a blessing.

Getting cursed as a twin should amplify the number of curses both twins get so one bad twin in a town can easily get them both sent to donkey town their next lives with just three curses.

There is really no downside to being a twin, there should be one!

As much as I hate griefer twins+ I really don't think you need to be that harsh. I'd rather just give every member of the group a curse token should any of them be cursed. It's hard enough to get a town to come together for eight curses and sometimes it literally requires me to be born into a second town to hit the 8th curse needed to send someone to donkey town.

You want to make sure people aren't just dicking over twins with a few curses because of bad twins in the past but you certainly don't want to make it so griefer groups can get away with splitting curses up like in the current situation.

fug it’s Tarr.

#18 2019-01-12 04:41:42

Gederian

Tarr wrote:

You want to make sure people aren't just dicking over twins with a few curses.

I think people ganging up to curse them unjustly would be very rare but that would be the risk. I would raise and praise all twins if they did it knowing the risk instead of simply contemplating if I want to kill them.

#19 2019-01-12 05:37:54

pein

no, actually most of us on discord knows each other, and even if i got dedicated haters and impersonators, you can easily see they are not me, cause mainly their skills suck, even mister 600 hour is some noobfuck who got killed by me too many times and mostly he was the one who started the conflict, so quite pitiful, i don't care enough to hate on someone, i might dislike some players, but im open to logical conversations, and until that i might just troll them for fun
im never grieving if im with someone else i know, and at least i know they can help out with bigger projects

i strongly encourage people to use an alias in games, a discord name, a forum name or just any alias
all my games with mirelli or turnip or dodge, telafiesta or alleria were great from the start when we recognized each other
now you say your name and we got a story, we  can trust each other in an other life too

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#20 2019-01-12 07:14:55

Alias

pein wrote:

i strongly encourage people to use an alias in games, a discord name, a forum name or just any alias

Hmm...

Board footer