One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-19 06:20:38

Bluefacegamer

Industrial Revolution

I have notice in every life, mostly everyone’s job right now is to farm and not starve. But will we ever get to the point where some people don’t have to farm and can devote their life to forwarding technology just like the industrial revolution. But for now the cicle repeats creation, growth, learning, starvation, death. If we just keep growing carrots we will never advance our civilization. We need to better communicate and do our part so that those who fallow don’t fall into the cicle by providing the building blocks for which they can advance forward. Or else, I’m afraid we’re all going to keep picking carrots forever

Last edited by Bluefacegamer (2018-03-19 06:35:24)

#2 2018-03-19 07:53:18

lesslucid

Re: Industrial Revolution

I think the technology in the game currently makes it quite difficult to move past clothes / farms as the height of civilisation... but it's not stagnant. The proportion of games where I am entering a village or area with lots of "recoverable progress" is definitely rising. As the amount of clothes just "lying around" increases, the amount of time needed to be devoted to farming is going to get smaller and smaller; when you're fully dressed from the time you're a baby, the proportion of time devoted to survival needs drops sharply.

#3 2018-03-19 08:46:19

Hans Lemurson

lesslucid wrote:

I think the technology in the game currently makes it quite difficult to move past clothes / farms as the height of civilisation... but it's not stagnant. The proportion of games where I am entering a village or area with lots of "recoverable progress" is definitely rising. As the amount of clothes just "lying around" increases, the amount of time needed to be devoted to farming is going to get smaller and smaller; when you're fully dressed from the time you're a baby, the proportion of time devoted to survival needs drops sharply.

This.

Clothing represents one of the few things we can do to create lasting progress.

Hand Carts are also super useful.

The important thing is to think is not "what can I make?" but rather "What will give more freedom to future generations."

#4 2018-03-19 11:56:15

Erudaru

I don't think an industrial revolution is nearby. I suppose the tech will follow real-life history to some extent.

We are in prehistoric times right now. The next big step would be to discover scripture and build a classical society similar to the Greek or Roman one.

I'm not saying this will happen. What I'm saying is that there are lots of things to do before we have an industrial revolution as we know it.

#5 2018-03-19 12:59:01

Bluefacegamer

Erudaru wrote:

I don't think an industrial revolution is nearby. I suppose the tech will follow real-life history to some extent.

We are in prehistoric times right now. The next big step would be to discover scripture and build a classical society similar to the Greek or Roman one.

I'm not saying this will happen. What I'm saying is that there are lots of things to do before we have an industrial revolution as we know it.

Maybe. But right now technology is growing and the only way I see to get more people free from farming is to improve farming technology

#6 2018-03-19 13:12:34

Bluefacegamer

I also agree with Inspiratieloos post about having better communication so our children can learn something from what we wrought down

#7 2018-03-19 14:37:48

The Person In Yellow

I would love to see industrialization and factories
Mother: "Your job is to live in this factory and do 1 menial task for your entire life while farmers provide you all the food you need to survive and do your 1 menial task. The rest of us however will be doing other cool stuff."

#8 2018-03-19 14:41:42

Inoox

All people do on public servers is carrot farm until the population is too big then its a free for all feeding frenzy then everyone dies.

Rinse and repeat for the next 3 generations and so on.

What people really need to be doing is improving each villagr by making buildings and effecient layouts.

Such as a bakery, blacksmith, tailors, nursery... etc.

I play the 120 custom server where everyone actually communicates and you can continue your project because the spawn is in the center.

#9 2018-03-19 18:10:07

ShadowsSoldier

I don't see a point in this game where we will just not have farming, even by todays standards a single farm/farmer feeds up to 155 people.
The fact of the matter there will always be farmers.
Yes, we need more tech it will add more play ability, but as it stands most civilizations on high pop servers die of starvation before even getting through the tech already in game.
The only servers that seem to reach higher level tech are the low pops, or the customs.
Official server low pop, max tech tier, just expanding for the future.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VhJLG4_LuM

#10 2018-03-19 19:42:19

Cryptodream

I just want everyone thinking for a second...

How many steps we will need to build a car similar to the Trailer car?

Each piece, even the most simple like a wheel, means lots of iron/steel, rubber, and turning in a whell with X steps...

With the current rythm, a car would be a multigenerational achivment. (Im sure Jason has thinking about this, and have a few solutions.)

#11 2018-03-19 23:36:03

Bluefacegamer

Cryptodream wrote:

I just want everyone thinking for a second...

How many steps we will need to build a car similar to the Trailer car?

Each piece, even the most simple like a wheel, means lots of iron/steel, rubber, and turning in a whell with X steps...

With the current rythm, a car would be a multigenerational achivment. (Im sure Jason has thinking about this, and have a few solutions.)

I think by then maybe we can unlock automation and make factories

#12 2018-03-20 00:27:10

EmmyGamba

Well its just like in our actual past. When we became farmers at first one person could barely feed himself and maybe his family by working hard all day. It took humanity a very long time improve farming to the point where its actually efficent enough to feed entire settlements and enable other specializations.

I think the curve will be similiar in OHOL as Jason adds more tech

#13 2018-03-20 00:49:11

Antarys

Already, I'm more and more born in villages that have full set of clothes ready for babies. 2 weeks ago this would have been a rare occasion and everyone was still running carrots farm naked. Being born with clothes ready for me, give me the opportunity to build and work on village infrastructure, wells(in the hope they get fixed really soon), full time cook, or improving the farming process by adding berry bushes for compost or cart for storage.
I was born in a mega well organised village yesterday on server 1 I believe. Had soo much freedom that I went looking for gold to make a wolf crown. Clothes and Pies are the keys to development right now.

#14 2018-03-20 03:23:20

aFilthyPeasant

Erudaru wrote:

i like that idea of a classical era, with bathhouses and squares just for groups to talk together and spread knowledge, giving way to the more formalized schools found in later eras.

#15 2018-03-20 05:54:45

Cadence

Well, it'd be great if we could make farming more efficient. Building an irrigation system around a pond to automatically water crops. Maybe building a tool that lets you till a larger plot of soil so that you can water and seed several tilled lines on one square instead of just a single line through the center of it. More carrots quicker and with less resources.

#16 2018-03-20 06:57:34

Twinsen

I hate to say it, but industrial is too early... if you have watched 1H1L trailer, Jason does have vision about the modern age and even future.

Right now, we are just at the beginning of agricultural revolution.

#17 2018-03-20 07:38:09

yvanhooe

Right now clothings but also buildings with fire inside is how you can make agriculture more efficient: on a wooden floor next to fire, even naked, you are at the ideal temperature, so at least one childcare building with a reserve of wood is what every village should have.

I have also so far not seen a single village having a running cattle farm. Seeing the quantity of very nutritious meet a single mutton makes, I think this is a way forward.

I would love to see more recipes too. Something that could be consumed in as little pieces as berries but would have something like 8 of them would be nice.

#18 2018-03-20 08:49:54

Joriom
Website

yvanhooe wrote:

I have also so far not seen a single village having a running cattle farm. Seeing the quantity of very nutritious meet a single mutton makes, I think this is a way forward.

I would love to see more recipes too. Something that could be consumed in as little pieces as berries but would have something like 8 of them would be nice.

As long as all of those are true:
- rabbits are still abundant and not overhunted so fur is cheap
- wool is worse than fur as for insulation (fur is warmer)
- sheep spam lambs so much that lingering lamb corpses are deadly
- knives are considered deadly weapons, not tools (you need them for butchering)
- you can eat 10-20 hunger items when missing just one hunger box
- you need 6 berries and a carrot to raise lamb
As long I can't see people "wasting" (investing) theif full lifetimes to build animal pens and "wasting" (investing) their resources (berries and carrots) to raise sheep for meat.

The last update which made it 6 berries (instead of 4) for bowl of berries also made it that you use value of over 2 full hungers bars (almost 3 possibly?) to get 4 full hunger bars from sheep meat. Add time investment and its not as good as it looks like.

Ofc it "packs" food into smaller, longer lasting rations - but as well makes it so trolls can waste that food way easier. And trolling by stealing shit and taking it to forests around town or just eating food next to fire while overheating (increased hunger, one food item per 5 sec) are one of the biggest problems atm. Making it easier for trolls to troll defeats the time investment.

#19 2018-03-20 11:24:25

Guluere

You guys talking about Industrial Revolution and I am here thinking, em, soooo, is skyscrapers gonna be a thing?

Board footer