One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-10 15:21:18

Tarr
Banned

Signpost system

So after playing yesterday in the Goodbody lineage I was doing a gimmick that lead to me having to explore vast areas around the area. Within ~300 units from the main village in any direction was a camp/village/city. East was the largest of the cities which I passed on and someone even wrote down how far I told them (thanks to whoever wrote the message on that paper). I ended up finding 5 different villages, each and every one of them a different level from Eve camp to sheep level village to Newcomen machine ready city.

So this had me thinking: What if we made little signposts X distance away from the villages we live in. This would allow anyone who was lost, feral Eves, or other cities within the area to figure where a second village was located in. I was generally thinking 250 would be a good distance between signs as that's about how far Eves start from each other.

vSvb9RZ.jpg

Hell I even managed to find a second little village exactly 250 south of the Allen Lineage village where I put up my first signpost. Obviously the N stands for north, so should someone see it they know to go 250 north to either hit the town or find the next signpost.  The only reason they're done in this ugly design is to prevent any sort of sign griefing.

V0vSIGZ.jpg

250 south of the second sign post I put up this one. So should someone see it at any point they could go 250 north which would lead to the small village + the second sign which points to the actual city. When it comes to actually making the these signs the best choice is to take a cart with an adze, axe, shovel, and froe while carrying a chisel, stakes, and a round stone in a backpack. The adze can be left behind however each signpost uses 11 mallet charges so leaving the adze may leave you without a mallet.

Speaking of letter choices every letter besides S can easily be made from wild saplings.

V + V = W + flint chip = N (two skewers needed)
I + I = T+ - = F + - = E  (four skewers needed)
Letter stock  + Sharp rock = V      V+V= W (two skewers needed)
C + C = S (two skewers required, requires bowling water to make bendy stock)  (Bendy stock + bowl = U) (U + bowl = C)

So if going north from your city you either need to premake your S's or decide upon a different letter to indicate for people to go south.

fug it’s Tarr.

#2 2019-01-10 15:46:05

pein

Re: Signpost system

half life of work to signal things no one really finds
if it's a good city and high  pop might work out on weekends

why not just a newcommen base and some random items showing arrows? or paper notes?

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2019-01-10 15:53:44

Tarr
Banned

I mean three newcomen blocks pointing a direction is probably a lot easier to put up and certainly a lot faster but I was aiming for something the wasn't griefable. I'll try just putting out some arrows pointing to town and see how many in one direction I can end up putting up.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2019-01-10 17:19:33

Dodge

If you bring a cart with axe, froe and one or two mallets in a backpack you can make a bunch of wooden floor arrows first one in the starting village then going to the next arrow in the other direction (best to make two straight lines going from the starting village to the destination one)
in one life you can make the three arrows (starting village, turning point, arrow pointing at turning point in arrival village)
this can be completed by a road later on also it's relatively ungriefable unless someone goes out of his way to do it

But it has to be tile perfect (deviation of one or two tile acceptable) otherwise travelers will get lost and go too far

other alternative is making arrows with stack of stones ( at least two but more better) doesnt require any tool and relatively noticable but also easily griefable even on accident

Also if turning arrow is really far it's good to leave a note on tip of the arrow to indicate estimated distance

But aesthetically i prefer the corner wall with sign, making the signpost in the starting village and signpost at turning point could be done in one life, then you can try to convince someone in destination village to make the third one in his village or bring a paper and pencil in backpack and write indication on where is the turning signpost

A good compromise is to do the corner wall signpost in the starting village then take a cart with axe and froe and do the other two arrows

Depending on the iron available i would lock the  sign instead of using newcomen, so the sign can be completed with the other letters later on

#5 2019-01-10 17:51:56

BlueDiamondAvatar

I like this idea.  You could make newcomen foundations in a tee, with the long stem pointing towards the direction of the town we want folks to find. 

My question is... how can you tell you've gone 250 tiles?  For me it would be a wild guesstimate.  Is this an awbz mod feature?

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#6 2019-01-10 18:47:50

CrazyEddie

Keep it simple. From time to time when you are far from home - assuming you have a home worth leading someone to someday - plunk down three roads. Make a simple arrow pointing in the same direction your home-marker arrow is pointing. Like this:

Northeast:

O O O O
O X X O
O O X O
O O O O

South:

O O O O O
O X O X O
O O X O O
O O O O O

You can do this naked in the middle of nowhere with zero prep, anytime. Sharp rock, tree branch -> stakes, round rock, three flat stones.

#7 2019-01-10 19:33:11

Dodge

CrazyEddie wrote:

Keep it simple. From time to time when you are far from home - assuming you have a home worth leading someone to someday - plunk down three roads. Make a simple arrow pointing in the same direction your home-marker arrow is pointing. Like this:

Northeast:

O O O O
O X X O
O O X O
O O O O

South:

O O O O O
O X O X O
O O X O O
O O O O O

You can do this naked in the middle of nowhere with zero prep, anytime. Sharp rock, tree branch -> stakes, round rock, three flat stones.

good idea didnt think about making stone road floors much more practical than wooden floor but if you dont add a "tail" to the arrow it's not clear it's an arrow pointing in a direction

#8 2019-01-10 19:40:05

CrazyEddie

I think people would figure it out, but for maximum obviousness you can use six flat rocks:

O O O O O
O O X O O
O O X O O
O O X O O
O O O O O
O X O X O
O O X O O
O O O O O

O O O O O O O
O O O O X X O
O O O O O X O
O O O X O O O
O O X O O O O
O X O O O O O
O O O O O O O

Harder to find that much clear space, though. I mean, it doesn't have to be perfectly clear, but you don't want a lot of stuff around it or it will detract from the arrow-ness of it.

IMHO.

Last edited by CrazyEddie (2019-01-10 19:40:46)

#9 2019-01-10 19:57:14

Booklat1

Also helps to build a fence and drop a bowl in these locations. Bowl is for eves and fence for horses

#10 2019-01-10 23:03:05

pein

we could just make an arrow with a branch or something long, and the arrow side would be a stack

o-

-o

o
/
etc. you could enclose it with newcommen to not move i guess

its faster than a full arrow, you could mayeb make a stack for pointer and a few branches other side to show where a city is

Last edited by pein (2019-01-10 23:03:35)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2019-01-10 23:46:54

Solbusaur

What about not bothering with the sign? Just make an N and leave it in the middle. Would make the job SO much simpler

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#12 2019-01-11 00:12:27

Tarr
Banned

Solbusaur wrote:

What about not bothering with the sign? Just make an N and leave it in the middle. Would make the job SO much simpler

Yeah I'm currently doing the arrow method and just making arrows that point towards a town. Even if they don't end up being super useful I did accidentally create signs of life (goose eggs, cacti flowering) that pointed me back to a big city and even managed to accidentally walk there as a feral child.

The original plan obviously takes a lot more set up but was supposed to be grief proof. I might only put those sort of things up at like as a 1k marker or something special.

BlueDiamondAvatar wrote:

I like this idea.  You could make newcomen foundations in a tee, with the long stem pointing towards the direction of the town we want folks to find. 

My question is... how can you tell you've gone 250 tiles?  For me it would be a wild guesstimate.  Is this an awbz mod feature?

I still use the program I used for getting coordinates from my server 3 days. Just slap the thing in your games folder and you can launch it to find coordinates relative to where you were born. To reset to 0,0 just close and reopen the game and it'll be recentered wherever you are standing.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Y9jh7 … HlF1XXPoOa

fug it’s Tarr.

#13 2019-01-11 00:53:38

Erudaru

Tarr wrote:

...server 3 days.

<3 <3 <3

I started making arrows out of unfinished snowmen. I know they are not the most obvious arrows, but still recognizable IMO. Very easy and quick, but very griefable.

j0y3j9.png

About your griefing concern, I'm not sure, but I think griefers would rather grief the city where they can get a reaction. Can't imagine them being interested in these signs. God knows what's going on in their heads though.

#14 2019-01-11 01:10:02

BlueDiamondAvatar

Tarr wrote:

LInk does not work for me.  Am I missing something about how to put the url and the text together?

Thanks Tarr!

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#15 2019-01-11 02:14:09

Greep

Yeah I can't see signs being griefed on purpose.  If anything, allowing signs to be griefed could be a positive:  Whereas a griefer can make serious havoc in a town, you'd tie them up ruining only one lifetime of activity if they went around tearing down signs.  Eve griefers likely suicide to town.

So I think the only consideration would be "Would a gatherer accidentally wreck this".  Like making one out of flat rocks is probably not a good idea.

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#16 2019-01-11 08:15:05

Tarr
Banned

BlueDiamondAvatar wrote:
Tarr wrote:

LInk does not work for me.  Am I missing something about how to put the url and the text together?

Thanks Tarr!

Weird let me try to post it again not real sure why it didn't work the first time around. I guess maybe I didn't copy it right or something rofl.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y9jh7e … XPoOa/view

fug it’s Tarr.

Board footer