One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-01-08 12:45:44

Tarr
Banned

Re: Eve should kill herself at forty

Now that I've gotten a little more practice with the concept and less theory crafting I'd like to say.

Suicide Eveing is actually just better eve chaining.

-Doesn't produce multiple lineages in one spot to compete for resources with each other.
-You know exactly what town/camp you are going to land in. No more getting dumped in crapsville (unless you picked a crappy spot.)
-26 minute life + 60 minute life > 46 minute normal style Eve life.
-Since you know an area life one is prepping vs life two which is pretty much just go mode.

Slightly surprised no one had thought about this before though I guess normal eve chaining was also an attractive choice in the first place.

fug it’s Tarr.

#27 2019-01-08 18:20:00

Gederian

Thank you! I did this yesterday and was immediately born back to my daughter.

She started telling me the story of her eve mother that founded the camp.

She was shocked when she found out it was me.

I went and got my backpack from my eve corpse and set off to get iron before I became fertile.

I was promptly attacked by a tree wolf and died.

#28 2019-01-08 18:31:37

Tarr
Banned

Funny enough this only popped into my head because something like that happened to me. I was trying to quickly dispatch a bear but clicked a little too fast and got bit. I said my goodbyes to my family only to suddenly pop back to one of my daughters.

It's then when it clicked. Eve is actually lineage banned just like everyone else which means she can also just avoid her lineage ban. If anything I think this sort of thing is refreshing as now Eve life isn't about rushing and worrying if you made every second count. Instead you have a bit of breathing room where it's okay to not have been 100% optimal life one as you have the extra 40 minutes to make up for anything you missed.

fug it’s Tarr.

#29 2019-01-08 22:51:49

Glassius

Tarr wrote:

The biggest thing is the reward would have to be greater than an extra twenty six minutes worth of working in your own village. Things like age extenders pretty much go against the game title and things such as uncapped speaking breeds a good player filter. "Say I am a good player" and if they can't you know they've failed to reach old age in their last life.

I mentioned it in my post: lineage ban should be reworked, because this is exploit hurting other players: you are putting other players, maybe desperatly waiting for children, on birth cooldown. Maybe switch it to 10 minutes, not 30.

But, as I mentioned, it will harass power players, who would probably leave a game for lineage ban for elaspe and try to reborn to old settlement with their toddler deaths. This is stupid. Therefore, long life should be rewarded something extra, to compensate for hurting power players. My ideas are just a proposal, I am sure Jason may invent something creative and rewarding.

#30 2019-01-08 23:08:19

alphabetter

Glassius wrote:

you are putting other players, maybe desperatly waiting for children, on birth cooldown.

if you use /die, it resets the cool down, and lineage bans you. which would be EXACTLY what you want, cause you want one specific lineage. the mothers don't suffer besides getting a baby corpse and losing a single food pip this way.

Last edited by alphabetter (2019-01-08 23:08:41)

i used to name my kids alphabetically. now i just... dont play anymore.

#31 2019-01-08 23:13:35

Greep

Well, /die doesn't mean the mother doesn't suffer some baby loss.  The average baby time is going to be (baby cooldown) + (time to next available baby).  Which can be a huge amount of time at low server population.  Once I had 3 babies, all SIDS.  If none had SIDSed, I probably would've had 2.  So it was actually a huge relative setback.

Last edited by Greep (2019-01-08 23:23:29)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#32 2019-01-09 03:25:22

alphabetter

you cannot make people stay in a life they don't want. that's why /die exists. otherwise, you get griefers, or running kids that use up all of the births you'll get. it sucks when all of your kids SIDS, but they are actual people, so you cannot control their decisions or how they play. including whether or not an Eve dies at forty, sixty, or some other time.

and the only arguement I'm seeing for why not to do this is... you're harming other mothers (not true with /die, and using a high pop server anyways if you wanna ensure your line survives), or you shouldn't do that bc that's not how the game is supposed to be played. there are a lot of things we do in game that isn't how it's meant to be played. for example, fence pens.

I digress. it's all up to the player, and personally, I love the idea of dying at forty, cause I know I'll probably never see my camp again otherwise.

i used to name my kids alphabetically. now i just... dont play anymore.

#33 2019-01-09 04:34:41

Greep

Oh I don't care whether people /die tbh, just pointing out that people think /die has no affect on mother fertility because it resets the baby cooldown, when this is not the case: in fact, it actually can severely harm their fertility.

Last edited by Greep (2019-01-09 04:35:26)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#34 2019-01-09 22:19:33

Glassius

I just think, /die should be used only to avoid playing in place we don't want to. It should not be used to go back to previous life. There should be other mechanics for it.

Board footer