One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-07 08:35:57

Tarr
Banned

Eve should kill herself at forty

As the title says whenever you are playing as Eve you should be killing yourself at age forty. Since there is no longer an incentive to live to old age as Eve your primary focus should be attempting to boost the chances of your lineage succeeding as much as possible.

So why are we killing ourselves as soon as we're infertile? You've only lived 26 minutes in your lineage by age forty therefore you are not lineage banned to your family. This ends up giving you some wiggle room in the cases that your children end up failing to raise you as a baby. You've got four minutes or (alive time) to be born the correct gender (female) and be raised to age three. With this method you have a bit of wiggle room should your children be bad mothers. You'll end up returning as a gen 3 child (aka you're your own grandchild) and now have an hour to continue working and expanding the camp in one of its most vulnerable periods.

A lot of city planning is done in these early stages and since you know the area better than anyone else (hopefully) you should be able to direct and point people into the right directions. Being able to see the construction of things such as the sheep pen or the berry fields means less fixing needed down the line when your great great great great grandkids inherit the city.   

So what is Eves job now that chaining is dead? First off, location is one of if not the most important things for you and your family. Whether it be forcing a city spawn by suiciding until signs of life or just playing feral you shouldn't settle for anything less than great. Plenty of water but no heat? Suicide. Plenty of heat but no water? Suicide. Eventually you'll find a spot good enough to live in and when that time comes your future children will be greatful.

Second: Eve should be focused on gathering. Since your plan is to return in generation three you should be focused on running stuff like iron to come in between raising your children. If you luck out either your children will know how to blacksmith or even better yet know how to properly forage for iron. A good indicator of whether or not your camp is doing good is whether you have your first steel tools ready by the time you should be killing yourself.

Third: Always try to remember the Eve checklist. If you know what you need each run you'll become more efficient in the long run.

Nine straight branches - ((Stakes, Tongs (2x), short shaft (3x), long shaft (3x))
Seven curved branches - (Fire bow drill + 6 or so for kindling))
Three rope - (Snare, stone hatchet, fire bow drill)   
One rabbit - (Needle + water skin)
One thread - (water skin)
Three iron minimum* (Hammer, axe, hoe or shovel) * More is obviously better
Four adobe (kiln + cover)
Seven clay (four bowls, three plates, one clay nozzle)
One skewer (clay nozzle, cooked rabbit, home marker)
One of each (flint chip, sharp stone, round stone)
Three flat rocks

Might have missed something but I can always add to the list later.

TL;DR kys as Eve at 40.

Last edited by Tarr (2019-01-07 16:50:38)

fug it’s Tarr.

#2 2019-01-07 09:39:02

hmrka

Re: Eve should kill herself at forty

hm I always stayed even when infertile but getting reborn as my grandkid does sound good. also its helpful you listed all the resources needed for camp! but Im not sure about one thing-

Is lineage ban still the same? I recently died from starvation when lag hit me, I was about 15, tried a few times to get back into town but didn't succeed. I had my server chosen (two) and it was my first time playing in that lineage. there were many women still alive, so.. was I just very unlucky or what?  I kept getting born as eve or in an eve camp :(

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#3 2019-01-07 10:10:15

Tarr
Banned

hmrka wrote:

hm I always stayed even when infertile but getting reborn as my grandkid does sound good. also its helpful you listed all the resources needed for camp! but Im not sure about one thing-

Is lineage ban still the same? I recently died from starvation when lag hit me, I was about 15, tried a few times to get back into town but didn't succeed. I had my server chosen (two) and it was my first time playing in that lineage. there were many women still alive, so.. was I just very unlucky or what?  I kept getting born as eve or in an eve camp sad

As long as you haven't hit any of the four lineage ban triggers: Murdering someone, being murdered, /die, or 30 total playtime in a lineage you should be able to get back. If you were constantly hitting eve spawns or spawns other than your desired family it means the women in the town you are aiming for are on birth cooldown. Right now with the quick die function on the onelife+ modded client it's incredibly easy to put a bunch of women on cooldown due to babies not lineage banning themselves.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2019-01-07 12:12:37

hmrka

Tarr wrote:

Right now with the quick die function on the onelife+ modded client it's incredibly easy to put a bunch of women on cooldown due to babies not lineage banning themselves.

That explains a lot lol, thanks again.

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#5 2019-01-07 14:27:44

CrazyEddie

How does quick die work? This must be a server-side bug, if the server is allowing a death initiated by the client that doesn't conform to the game rules.

#6 2019-01-07 14:39:26

Tarr
Banned

CrazyEddie wrote:

How does quick die work? This must be a server-side bug, if the server is allowing a death initiated by the client that doesn't conform to the game rules.

It's instant and recognized by the client as starvation. Within a minute I was able to be born and die 16x with eight or so being born a child to someone while the other eight were eve spawns. I ended up hitting two login fails in the test which probably cost me a death or two. I could very much see something like this being problematic if multiple people were trying to suicide into the right family due to quickly putting a bunch of women on birth cooldown within seconds.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2019-01-07 14:40:15

Cecil

All you min-maxers who don't want boy children and don't want Eve's past 40 miss a big thing. There are wild foods that regenerate like cactus and berries. As long as the boys are hunter-gatherers, and old Eve's go foraging, they are not a burden on the town.

#8 2019-01-07 14:54:03

Tarr
Banned

Cecil wrote:

All you min-maxers who don't want boy children and don't want Eve's past 40 miss a big thing. There are wild foods that regenerate like cactus and berries. As long as the boys are hunter-gatherers, and old Eve's go foraging, they are not a burden on the town.

It's not about being a burden on the town as an old Eve, it's about squeaking in a second life in your Eve camp. I'm sure at least some players can remain useful all the way up until their old age death as I know I can but by suiciding at 40 you allow yourself an extra 27 minutes into helping your children shape the camp. Instead of having a 26 minute fertility window for your camp you double up to 52 minutes of fertility between two lives. It's about securing a fertile female through generation three who you know is going to live no matter what disaster could hit your town.

Life one might just be stuff like collecting the iron, setting up the forge, and farming but it allows you to set yourself up for your second trip to the camp. Just the fact you know the area upon returning is already a set up from most other children your kids could have had and if you're a skilled player anyways you are going to be much more useful to your children too.

So yeah, it's about min-maxing the amount of time you can stay in a camp while also guiding your children towards success instead of letting more chance into the equation.

fug it’s Tarr.

#9 2019-01-07 15:02:32

wondible

CrazyEddie wrote:

It is sort of a feature, being abused. The client behaves like an invalid client, and so gets killed.

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/181

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#10 2019-01-07 16:07:25

MultiLife

So a runner boy baby may be the original Eve trying to get back as a girl, also setting his mother (and descendant) on a cooldown in order to try again. Risky business in that sense.

So you've come to the conclusion that because the chaining was taken away, the reward of a saved camp is basically nothing anymore?

I haven't been an Eve even once after the change but I'm still going for 60. Although I can see it from the other side too, the side who says don't live to 60: I started playing July 2018, and only ONCE have I gotten back to a camp I made to revive it. And that was during the times when the Eve spawn and death locations were broken (right?). So with no Eve chaining, no /die abuse, no under 30/40 deaths, my chance to see the camp again with a lucky spawn has always been basically zero. And I don't like that. If living to 60 as an Eve is supposed to be our goal, then it better reward us more than this or it's useless to try.

I would try to fix this if I was Jason. If he wanted Eves to celebrate living to 60 and aim for it, the reward should be much more. If suiciding at 40 and not using Eve-save is better than living to 60, you have a broken system. If the goal is not to live to 60 as Eve nor rely on revive-rebirth, then carry on by all means. But I don't think that's the case here. Which is why I think it's a problem. Developer is not encouraging his preferred playstyle the right way so players find another, more effective playstyle which is against the developer's views.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-01-07 16:14:23)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#11 2019-01-07 16:39:36

Tarr
Banned

MultiLife wrote:

So a runner boy baby may be the original Eve trying to get back as a girl, also setting his mother (and descendant) on a cooldown in order to try again. Risky business in that sense.

So you've come to the conclusion that because the chaining was taken away, the reward of a saved camp is basically nothing anymore?

Right now with the modded client you can instantly suicide from any age without being held or anything else while being treated as starved this means if you check and see you are male you can suicide within seconds of being born. If you are quickly being born and suiciding you are also blocking other mothers from having babies as you are putting them on cooldown too. The biggest thing that this causes is more eve spawns (some people born as these forced eves will stay) while you just kill yourself on your own eve births. I think it's worth the risk to put your own girls on cooldown since anyone actively min-maxing in this sort of manner are probably better than most children they would normally get.

The saved camp is basically worthless. You are better off returning as your own grandchild (preferably granddaughter) and just continue to carry the camp. I am almost certain it's possible to get the tools for your sheep pen in the 40 minute life of Eve and finish the sheep pen in your second life which brings the town survival rate way up.

MultiLife wrote:

I haven't been an Eve even once after the change but I'm still going for 60. Although I can see it from the other side too, the side who says don't live to 60: I started playing July 2018, and only ONCE have I gotten back to a camp I made to revive it. And that was during the times when the Eve spawn and death locations were broken (right?). So with no Eve chaining, no /die abuse, no under 30/40 deaths, my chance to see the camp again with a lucky spawn has always been basically zero. And I don't like that. If living to 60 as an Eve is supposed to be our goal, then it better reward us more than this or it's useless to try.

I would try to fix this if I was Jason. If he wanted Eves to celebrate living to 60 and aim for it, the reward should be much more. If suiciding at 40 and not using Eve-save is better than living to 60, you have a broken system. If the goal is not to live to 60 as Eve nor rely on revive-rebirth, then carry on by all means. But I don't think that's the case here. Which is why I think it's a problem. Developer is not encouraging his preferred playstyle the right way so players find another, more effective playstyle which is against the developer's views.

I mostly find it sad that you miss out on the big goodbyes of an old age death but it's just overall better for you and everyone around you to kill yourself. By squeezing out that extra 26 minutes you assure your lineage has a fertile woman live her whole fertile window for both generation one + generation 3. High level play has always been goofy if you try for it so I'm not too surprised this could be a thing other serious players would do. Another goofy example of min-maxing is inflicting yourself with yellow fever to get your yum multiplier up faster since you always lower your pips but not your bonus number. I know I'm specifically going to try a run later where I do all my eating in childhood but that of course is a matter for a different thread.

I'm not going to say this a thing for everyone but if Eve is serious about trying to help her family in the current patch it's better to die at 40 or younger and just return as her own grandchild.

fug it’s Tarr.

#12 2019-01-07 16:46:06

Booklat1

Jason "i dont want you guys to exploit the game, plz"

Tarr "lol"

#13 2019-01-07 17:13:10

MultiLife

Tarr wrote:

Right now with the modded client you can instantly suicide from any age without being held or anything else while being treated as starved this means if you check and see you are male you can suicide within seconds of being born. If you are quickly being born and suiciding you are also blocking other mothers from having babies as you are putting them on cooldown too. The biggest thing that this causes is more eve spawns (some people born as these forced eves will stay) while you just kill yourself on your own eve births. I think it's worth the risk to put your own girls on cooldown since anyone actively min-maxing in this sort of manner are probably better than most children they would normally get.

The saved camp is basically worthless. You are better off returning as your own grandchild (preferably granddaughter) and just continue to carry the camp. I am almost certain it's possible to get the tools for your sheep pen in the 40 minute life of Eve and finish the sheep pen in your second life which brings the town survival rate way up.

Ahh yes that's what you talked about in Steam. Ctrl delete thing. It's kinda nasty, benefitting the baby roller as every mom who got him goes on cooldowns.
Yeah I really wish Eve-saves wouldn't be so worthless. Min-maxing is always a thing but a supposed reward is not a reward anymore, or has it really ever been: your Eve save is most likely lost in an update before you ever have a chance to get back without trickery. So an 'innocent' player like me will basically never get to enjoy the reward of a previous 60 year Eve death as it's more likely that the save is wiped before it's given to the player. A biiit too inconsistent as a reward I'd say... for a 60 year old Eve you should have a guaranteed respawn in a week or so - depending how often Eve-save clearing updates come in (I have no idea when my Eve-saves are wiped; after every 60 year old Eve death, after jungle was added, last week?? Is there even an Eve-save on hold for me at the moment???).

Maybe 60 year old Eve shouldn't get a lineage ban after all. I dunno, where is the line where a reward is supporting selfish gameplay too much? Jason doesn't want us to stick to our old lineages but maybe the lineage ban hours are too much for 60 year old Eves. Maybe 1h of ban... I dunno if that helps honestly.

Tarr wrote:

I mostly find it sad that you miss out on the big goodbyes of an old age death but it's just overall better for you and everyone around you to kill yourself. By squeezing out that extra 26 minutes you assure your lineage has a fertile woman live her whole fertile window for both generation one + generation 3. High level play has always been goofy if you try for it so I'm not too surprised this could be a thing other serious players would do. Another goofy example of min-maxing is inflicting yourself with yellow fever to get your yum multiplier up faster since you always lower your pips but not your bonus number. I know I'm specifically going to try a run later where I do all my eating in childhood but that of course is a matter for a different thread.

I'm not going to say this a thing for everyone but if Eve is serious about trying to help her family in the current patch it's better to die at 40 or younger and just return as her own grandchild.

Yeah I noticed the yellow fever talk. I never wanted yum in the mix of mothering. So what if it adds to the chance of being born to good mothers? Bad mothers are part of the experience imo. Now noob moms are even more worthless as they won't even give out kids in a good pace.
I was a mom with 10x yum in one life, I kept constantly spawning kids after my cooldowns in a what seemed like a constant, even rate.
Meanwhile some city has a noob mom sitting in desert fire with a berry bowl and 0x yum as males run around screaming about the city ending...

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-01-07 17:22:28)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#14 2019-01-07 17:52:33

Tarr
Banned

MultiLife wrote:

Ahh yes that's what you talked about in Steam. Ctrl delete thing. It's kinda nasty, benefitting the baby roller as every mom who got him goes on cooldowns.
Yeah I really wish Eve-saves wouldn't be so worthless. Min-maxing is always a thing but a supposed reward is not a reward anymore, or has it really ever been: your Eve save is most likely lost in an update before you ever have a chance to get back without trickery. So an 'innocent' player like me will basically never get to enjoy the reward of a previous 60 year Eve death as it's more likely that the save is wiped before it's given to the player. A biiit too inconsistent as a reward I'd say... for a 60 year old Eve you should have a guaranteed respawn in a week or so - depending how often Eve-save clearing updates come in (I have no idea when my Eve-saves are wiped; after every 60 year old Eve death, after jungle was added, last week?? Is there even an Eve-save on hold for me at the moment???).

Yeah the ctrl + delete deaths while good for certain aspects of the game like being stuck in a prison, mother refuses to pick you up to /die, or quitting out of an eve quickly I feel just ends up being the same issue we had before /die was added. It might just be possible these people don't know /die exists since it isn't explained everywhere vs the mod stating it's a feature at the moment. If a player refuses to /die out of the lineage it's exactly the problem before were runner babies would take a large chunk of your child births. This problem is even more annoying because you are getting child bones dumped everywhere and anywhere said instant death babies are born.

MultiLife wrote:

Maybe 60 year old Eve shouldn't get a lineage ban after all. I dunno, where is the line where a reward is supporting selfish gameplay too much? Jason doesn't want us to stick to our old lineages but maybe the lineage ban hours are too much for 60 year old Eves. Maybe 1h of ban... I dunno if that helps honestly.

Yeah I don't think giving an old age Eve one pass on the lineage ban is that game breaking overall considering with the current method your goal is to live one and a half lives instead of the full normal life. Right now with the current numbers lineage ban is about an hour maybe just a little less. I know when I had a lineage sharing a village a few days ago I could just bounce old age death between lines until finally one of them got murdered off.

MultiLife wrote:

Yeah I noticed the yellow fever talk. I never wanted yum in the mix of mothering. So what if it adds to the chance of being born to good mothers? Bad mothers are part of the experience imo. Now noob moms are even more worthless as they won't even give out kids in a good pace.
I was a mom with 10x yum in one life, I kept constantly spawning kids after my cooldowns in a what seemed like a constant, even rate.
Meanwhile some city has a noob mom sitting in desert fire with a berry bowl an 0x yum as males run around screaming about the city ending...

I thankfully don't think the weighting is enough to absolutely kill off a town due to one bad mother but there's definitely some potential to stack your yum multiplier from a young age in preparation for your fertile years. As long as you have the different foods around it's just a matter of caring to go touch a mosquito and afk until yellow fever kicks off. Honestly you could force your babies to yum chain on a mosquito by force feeding them different foods in between infections with eight different foods you could send your baby off with an extra 30~ pips to start out their young lives.

Berry, Bowl berry, Corn, Popcorn, Potato, Potato, Pie, Mutton. This can very easily be extended further but obviously this sort of play isn't ever actually likely to happen.

fug it’s Tarr.

#15 2019-01-07 18:06:25

MultiLife

@Tarr
A question about the Eve suicide and Eve chaining (imagine the question in present and past-tense):
do you suicide and reroll Eve if you don't spawn into a good spot instantly, or how much time do you spend in searching?
I often find the best place ever just few years before going infertile... big_smile Only once I've been insta-spawned to an awesome location which enabled me to keep ALL kids as Eve (and thrive!). However I always search and haven't ever suicided as an Eve, even if I had settled down already infertile.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-01-07 18:10:48)

#16 2019-01-07 18:20:39

Tarr
Banned

Generally I'll give it about five minutes before just trying a new eve spawn. I'll stay longer if I should find something that really stands out.

Lyylw4k.jpg

I probably spent 10+ minutes looking around that badlands for anything even remotely livable considering it probably had 30+ iron within the whole badlands. Just in that image alone there's 15 and a vein. Unfortunately there just wasn't anywhere me or my kid could end up living and take advantage of such a massive amount of iron.

On the flipside I'm now more picky when I actually find a village as an Eve. Since I'm purposely suiciding to find a village if a city isn't in a very good location I'll just end up killing myself instead of staying to fix it. I've made passes on villages with a few steel tools because they were overall too cold or required too much fixing to get back up and running. Previously I would stay at about any village because I knew there was a chance I or another Eve might stumble upon it. It just made more sense to go around fixing any village because if I returned the effort would have been worth it.

fug it’s Tarr.

#17 2019-01-07 19:44:25

CrazyEddie

It is sort of a feature, being abused. The client behaves like an invalid client, and so gets killed.

Thanks! I added a comment to that issue to raise awareness of the unintended consequences. Perhaps Jason will change things.

Yeah I really wish Eve-saves wouldn't be so worthless. Min-maxing is always a thing but a supposed reward is not a reward anymore, or has it really ever been: your Eve save is most likely lost in an update before you ever have a chance to get back without trickery. So an 'innocent' player like me will basically never get to enjoy the reward of a previous 60 year Eve death as it's more likely that the save is wiped before it's given to the player.

Eve saves were never intended to be used in multplayer, and were never intended to be the kind of thing that people think they are. It was a hack for single-player, back when there were few enough players that sometimes there would be only one player on a server. The intention was to let single players have continuous repeat lives in the same place, since with no other players there was no way to leave a legacy for your descendants.

I don't think giving an old age Eve one pass on the lineage ban is that game breaking overall

I had read somewhere (forum, wiki, discord, not sure) that Eve gets an exemption from the lineage ban, but my guess is this is a bit of mythology that got passed around like a game of Telephone, a garbling of what the actual Eve spawn / re-spawn mechanics were (which themselves were misunderstood by both Jason and the playerbase (in different ways!) due to the bugs in the implementation.

From an aesthetic standpoint, I think giving Eve an exemption doesn't really make sense. The whole Jason's-vision thing is that you live one life and try to make a legacy but die knowing you'll never see it yourself. Minmaxers like Tarr reject this aesthetic - which is entirely their right - but that doesn't mean the game should cater to their goals rather than Jason's. The lineage ban was an attempt to stop back-to-back lives, which are effectively a single longer-than-one-hour life. The fix to Eve chaining was the same.

#18 2019-01-07 19:55:31

CrazyEddie

Tarr wrote:

Generally I'll give it about five minutes before just trying a new eve spawn. I'll stay longer if I should find something that really stands out.

I've been giving it until age 30. I should probably drop that down, maybe waaay down. Every minute spent searching in the current life is one less minute you have to spawn children after you find a good spot.

It feels like you shouldn't give up on the current life, but that's really just the sunk cost fallacy. Ideally you'd look around enough to rule out your current location and then die; lather rinse repeat until you spawn within immediate-recognition distance of a good spot. That said, for aesthetics, I'll probably keep searching for a while (maybe ten minutes?), just to preserve the illusion that each of my lives matters and that being an Eve is a desperate struggle to create something from nothing in a cruel and harsh world.

#19 2019-01-07 20:00:55

MultiLife

CrazyEddie wrote:

Eve saves were never intended to be used in multplayer, and were never intended to be the kind of thing that people think they are. It was a hack for single-player, back when there were few enough players that sometimes there would be only one player on a server. The intention was to let single players have continuous repeat lives in the same place, since with no other players there was no way to leave a legacy for your descendants.

Well as I said...

MultiLife wrote:

If the goal is not to live to 60 as Eve nor rely on revive-rebirth, then carry on by all means.

Yes, I had understood it as a goal, a reward, to live to 60 as an Eve to have the place saved. Why else would it demand the magic number of 60, why not save other Eve spots where you lived to 14-59 years old? The whole magical number of 60 activating a save funtion really fed a thought that it has a reason to be there with a purpose of a reward, something to go for.

And when I did eventually spawn back in that one camp, it was epic. It felt like a great reward that the place was saved after I survived to 60 years before and I could have another go at it.

Maybe it was never meant to be a reward, but I do still question that, I have to. Why it saves only certain locations? Why does it demand old age? Or does it? I question everything now.

#20 2019-01-07 20:04:02

CrazyEddie

Tarr wrote:

On the flipside I'm now more picky when I actually find a village as an Eve. Since I'm purposely suiciding to find a village if a city isn't in a very good location I'll just end up killing myself instead of staying to fix it. I've made passes on villages with a few steel tools because they were overall too cold or required too much fixing to get back up and running. Previously I would stay at about any village because I knew there was a chance I or another Eve might stumble upon it. It just made more sense to go around fixing any village because if I returned the effort would have been worth it.

When I do an Eve run, whether I stop at an earlier failed camp or not depends on my mood. I almost always skip over small camps - in part because they're probably not very well placed (most aren't), but mostly because if I'm doing an Eve run I want the camp to be a product of my efforts. I don't want to piggyback on someone else who came before me, and I don't want to have to deal with the problems that they created.

When I spawn into or near a large dead town, though, I'll think about trying to revive it, because that's a fun challenge which is different from starting an Eve camp from scratch or from being born into an active and functioning city. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for that, though, and if not I'll usually just starve and reroll a new Eve spawn.

#21 2019-01-08 00:20:14

Glassius

There is something called Nash equilibrium, which explains why people keep hurting community while rewarding themselves. Eve suiciding at 30 and abandoning bad locations is such an example.

While of course it is good for power-player to use that exploit, you are abandoning poor newbies with no teaching nor explanation. Imagine you are a new player and you believed Jason words (game of parenting), that everything ingame you may learn from others. However, you quickly reroll trough cities dying of starvation in the middle of food, because you don't recognize bowl of stew or don't even know you should click on yourself. You end running as naked Eve and all your children instadying. Not very rewarding. The extreme result of power-players enjoyment hurting newbies will be a successfull apocalypse on populated server. Newbies will be killed on spot while approaching the city and will get settlements erased for no reason, as it already happened with the new update.

In my almost last game I stayed in doomed, yet advanced, city and teached somebody how to craft backpack. The hardest part was to convince him, to click on rabbit skeleton with bare hands to create a single bone. When he finally got hit, he said "I am an idiot". In the last game I stayed in green biome Eve base only to be able to tell her, that people are suiciding because it is a cold place. Then I died. I am trying to make this game enjoyable for other players in hope it will increase the number of players. I want more content, more modders and more customers. What may happen if Jason would be left with 20 people still playing, all power-players? Will he continue developing this game? I think not and nobody will blame him for this decision.

The lineage ban must be reworked to stop this destructive behavior. Pernament ban will make eventually a frequent player doomed to Eve life (this is why a current lineage ban starts after 30 minutes), while temporary lineage ban will make people leave game and try to be reborn to their settlement/lineage later, thus reducing the number of players.

It is unfair suiciding can be so rewarding, even allowing you to continue a project longer than single long live. Therefore, long live should be more rewarding. But, what reward you may got... after death? A bonus in you next life! I was thinking about tokens system, which you may receive for being blessed, buried, additional bonuses for proper grave dedication and roses, dying of old age, having over 7 kids survive past 10 years. These token would be spend on:
1. No chat restrictions as toddler.
2. Spawn next to you last death place (or one of saved death places).
3. Spawned to your last lineage (or one of saved lineages).
4. Longer live, as IRL lifespan can be even beyond 100 years.
5. Removal of lineage ban
6. Increased hunger bar/decreased pip lose rate.
7. Ability to choose between Eve/toddler game start

Please continue discussion in this thread to make it live. Jason must notice that exploit! I only hope, the fix would include some reward system for elders. All this will harass Jason's idea of uniqness of each life, but let's be honest: after many runes some unique features are not immersion creating (helpless toddler, toddler chat restrictions, lineage ban). They are getting tedious. And this is hurting new players the most, as elder players are abandoning newbies in their trail/error efforts.

#22 2019-01-08 01:54:24

Greep

I don't get why people would want to hack around game logic to try and live longer than they should.  Why not just join a server with continuity? Mine's pretty small, but I hear 2hol is pretty big.  I decided I didn't enjoy it, so I never played again on the main servers.

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#23 2019-01-08 06:04:59

Go! Bwah!

Title of response thread: "Eve should play however she likes"

Body of response thread: "see title"

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#24 2019-01-08 08:57:45

Tarr
Banned

Go! Bwah! wrote:

Everyone is welcome to play however they want. The point of the thread is that if your only goal is to give your lineage the very best chance at survival suicide is the correct choice. Eve returning to her camp over a random child is most likely always going to work out better due to her already knowing the area before leaving camp. You and everyone else are welcome to live to old age if you like I'm just trying to show off the fact you can squeeze another life into your camp thus increasing its chances to grow.

Glassius wrote:

The biggest thing is the reward would have to be greater than an extra twenty six minutes worth of working in your own village. Things like age extenders pretty much go against the game title and things such as uncapped speaking breeds a good player filter. "Say I am a good player" and if they can't you know they've failed to reach old age in their last life.

With this newest style of Eve play the old saying is as true as ever "Even bad players can give birth to great players." I very much know keeping my girls has the highest value when I know they're my gateway back into helping them grow and flourish. Eve camps really aren't a place of teaching anyways so if my kids are unlucky to be new I generally just send them out for something like branches or moving dirt. At worst they die and get to learn in a place that can afford new players and at best a set of helping hands are always welcome.

Greep wrote:

I don't get why people would want to hack around game logic to try and live longer than they should.  Why not just join a server with continuity? Mine's pretty small, but I hear 2hol is pretty big.  I decided I didn't enjoy it, so I never played again on the main servers.

I've personally never liked playing in low pop servers and what not because the chaos factor isn't really there. I would rather play with the current constraints and occasionally have to stop work on my own personal projects to help newer players with whatever the issue is. I spent many many hours on the steam release to make sure my Eve spawns were in cities for new players and taught as many people as I mentally could handle. This game is still about teaching at its core and I still like to take the time to do it whenever I see someone struggling even if it does take away from whatever I was doing.

Also it's nice knowing if someone is being an asshat in the village I'm in the steam players aren't just picked off like fish in a barrel. Idk it just feels like playing on the low pop/private/whatever servers is playing the game without its soul for me.

fug it’s Tarr.

#25 2019-01-08 09:07:55

Go! Bwah!

Tarr wrote:
Go! Bwah! wrote:

Everyone is welcome to play however they want. The point of the thread is that if your only goal is to give your lineage the very best chance at survival suicide is the correct choice.

I was being a little snarky in response to basically a click-bait title followed by a long post with a buried lede.  "To preserve lineage, Eve should kill herself at forty" would have been more considerate :-)

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

Board footer