One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-07 09:53:46

golmock

what is cistern??

Is it just for water storage?

!eve painter! You will have a color name.
I can teach you if i'm not busy. just talk to me.

#2 2019-01-07 10:14:25

Tane

Re: what is cistern??

yup

#3 2019-01-07 10:24:30

golmock

Tane wrote:

yup

but we have well or deep well. why do we make that?
I wonder what is the difference between cistern and well.

#4 2019-01-07 10:33:37

Greep

It's for the pump:  after a while, you end up getting a water pump, and all of the other water sources dry up eventually.  This pump has a very low water capacity.  The cistern is used in tandem with this pump.

tl;dr  don't worry about a cistern unless your civilization is quite advanced.

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#5 2019-01-07 11:53:05

Grim_Arbiter

Greep wrote:

It's for the pump:  after a while, you end up getting a water pump, and all of the other water sources dry up eventually.  This pump has a very low water capacity.  The cistern is used in tandem with this pump.

Was the cistern used before the pump though? I remember someone telling me to fill the cisterns so the wells could regenerate.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#6 2019-01-07 11:55:45

Greep

Oh yeah, I think a while ago water had different regeneration than it does now, so you could make wells regenerate faster by emptying them.  or maybe that's still the case. Dunno.

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#7 2019-01-07 13:14:11

golmock

Grim_Arbiter wrote:
Greep wrote:

Was the cistern used before the pump though? I remember someone telling me to fill the cisterns so the wells could regenerate.

Does that mean that a cistern filled with water quickly re-sees the wells around it? I'm getting confused XD

#8 2019-01-07 13:36:44

pein

ok so the main difference is that wells are not for storage, you cant and shouldnt move back water to a well, sometimes it works but you can ruin the whole water by putting it into an other well then try to take out, cause it might happen that you put 10 buckets into an other deep well and take out one single bucket

we had cisterns back in the day and bowls were used on them, same for wells
then jason complained about no one using deep wells, ofc not when wells are placeable and multiple small ones better than a big one

then i suggested that we should have water deposits to gather from, and we should have exclusive items to deep wells which allow certain actions

so he kinda simplified and did my idea, adding buckets and non moveable wells

the bad side effect is that cisterns needs buckets to used on them and nor shallow wells or cistern allow the bowl used on them, as different input and output cant be allowed by engine

why to make a cistern? to store water for others
its just much better to have a few cisterns and bring water in a cart with buckets
toddlers want to help but often they dont know how to, if they dont find soil and water they just wander around aimlessly, might suicide or feel bad about themselves

general rule is to bring soil to water, thats why green biome noobcamps dont work when the eve settles in green biome, you need water to farm
but heat management can save a lot on food so desert edges and jungle middle is better for berries and kinda everything
so making a cistern near a hotter place, and a few boards for buckets and compost is much better than planting farms around the ponds, ponds become wells, upgraded wells, etc. then is so hard to place boards in middle

so you shouldnt plant around ponds, place farm near a side where is enough free space
carrots and milkweed is ok near water, as they disappear over time

dont upgrade every well to newcommen, one is enough
maybe two when you got a kerosene burner

other uses are for newcommen pump, so you can take out 3 buckets, store in cistern, put the last one back, restart process
90 water is kinda enough for a long time

the new newcommen hammer needs a lot of water too, so one cistern is better than building it near wells, also needs a lot of free space and generally better to place further from main camp

now with water upgrades mango is viable again

and ofc engien wells make

so for short:
cisterns are for water storage and dont make for yourself, you make it for the kids, for convenience
dont plant right next to ponds and wells, choose an empty space
plant berries on desert edge or jungle for warmth, distance from water is secondary in that case, its ok to be 20 tiles from water, with buckets will be better

ofc engine wells are best and got kinda infinite water after is set up

having multiple buckets can help on making rubber, milk cows and have multiple farms and outposts

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer