One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2018-12-29 22:31:25

CrazyEddie

Re: It's that time of the year, apocalypse is back!

Psykout wrote:

Given that we just got machines an all I was picturing some sort of mechanical doomsday clock, not a voodoo-esque sacrifical totem. It's like 50 times harder to make a car than to bring about the end of the world, not having it compete with resources I can see, but making the difficulty artificial with the timers is really lame.

I like the sacrificial totem mumbo-jumbo stuff. It's cool. It's atmospheric. It's thematic.

What it is not is challenging. But here's the thing. Even making cars turned out to be only slightly challenging. It's extremely challenging to the average player, but the elite players got there rather quickly, and for something like the apocalypse all that matters is whether anyone can do it. Even if Jason required something like one of every item in the game to be assembled in one spot, someone would get it done before the day was out.

Making the difficulty artificial using timers is the only thing that could slow it down... or at least, that's the only trick Jason has come up with so far.

But here's the thing. The difficult-to-create item that Jason has actually made a requirement for the apocalypse is not the totem pole, or a car... it's a sustainable lineage. We can have the apocalypse just as soon as we figure out how to create a lineage that can survive for twenty-four hours. One of the big obstacles to that is global infertility, another one is male/female RNG, and we can't do anything about either of those besides come up with hacky work-arounds like having private servers or private lineages. But another obstacle is player incompetence, and while we can't exactly fix that, we can all do our part to better teach and train the newbies so that lineages are less likely to die because everyone forgot to water the f*ing bushes or don't know how to make a shovel when it goes missing.

#52 2018-12-29 22:58:58

betame

CrazyEddie wrote:

The difficult-to-create item that Jason has actually made a requirement for the apocalypse is not the totem pole, or a car... it's a sustainable lineage. We can have the apocalypse just as soon as we figure out how to create a lineage that can survive for twenty-four hours. One of the big obstacles to that is global infertility, another one is male/female RNG, and we can't do anything about either of those besides come up with hacky work-arounds like having private servers or private lineages. But another obstacle is player incompetence, and while we can't exactly fix that, we can all do our part to better teach and train the newbies so that lineages are less likely to die because everyone forgot to water the f*ing bushes or don't know how to make a shovel when it goes missing.

Seconded.

I like that the Tower is low-tech; it presents the challenge purely as sustainability.

To be the ultimate griefer, you must help Tower-towns survive.

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#53 2018-12-29 23:26:42

Greep

It's actually a pretty excellent idea when you think about it.  It perfectly balances town sustainability, in that if towns get too far advanced, apocalypses kick in.  So now efforts can be made to making towns last longer without having to give any thought to how often you would need to wipe the server.  Only issue of course is town sustainability is terrible now big_smile

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#54 2018-12-30 00:22:22

betame

Speaking of sustainability,

Now that Eves can't revive cities, /die-Eves only hurts cities.

Every time someone /dies to become an eve, all other mothers get -5% fertility.

Of course, we can't prevent women from choosing a primitive life; they can leave town if they want to. But at least those moms will be close to a civilization center for a better chance at rediscovery. And they'll become a mom by earning it rather than /die-eve magic.

I propose /die-adams to keep the lineage ban intact.

Maybe I'm not understanding the play-style or intentions of /die-eves?

Last edited by betame (2018-12-30 00:23:52)

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#55 2018-12-30 01:15:39

Greep

Well, as someone who /died as eve a lot a few weeks ago, it was mainly to get a better understanding of the game and see how long I can make lineages last.  As you do it more often, you realize that literally what seems like a monumental task as eve of trying to get your town as high tech and organized as possible, literally reduces down to picking a good spot ,making a clay bowl, and telling people what (not) to do.  So the appeal dies as you learn all the primitive tech and know how the town cycle works.

Last edited by Greep (2018-12-30 01:16:20)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#56 2018-12-30 01:16:00

MultiLife

Dunno if it was a lucky Eve spiral spawn, but I was gen 4 woman from Harp family and found Knight town which only had three old men left (http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=2596658). I was there earlier today as Glory Knight (gen 11: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=2593373) when it was going strong, although a griefer locked a woman in med station with one door on it (death traps people...) and hid the pickaxe: I found it, and I wanted to use it for a mine southwest, but someone went and busted the trapped old woman out with it, breaking it.
Anyways, someone in Knight family made a mine quite far north and left an iron ore pile next to it. I walked into it as Hope Harp II (exploring as a kid as I was desperate to find a better location than where I was born in), and started to find traces of people who had recently died to yellow fever in the southern jungle (non decayed clothes on skeletons).
Basically straight south lied the dying Knight town. I managed to find it while fertile, but birthed sons there (my only daughter was born earlier, and I never found her and her kids after scouting with a horse cart I got from Knight town). So the Knight town died again but at least I got to it as a Harp woman. Never would've without zoom out though, I bet.

Greep wrote:

It's actually a pretty excellent idea when you think about it.  It perfectly balances town sustainability, in that if towns get too far advanced, apocalypses kick in.  So now efforts can be made to making towns last longer without having to give any thought to how often you would need to wipe the server.  Only issue of course is town sustainability is terrible now big_smile

I still don't like it as it can trigger anytime without you knowing. Assuming there is no warning system. And I'd rather have weekly apocalypse at given time than play and not have any clue if it happens in 1 minute or in 50 hours.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-12-30 01:16:52)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#57 2018-12-30 01:17:52

Greep

MultiLife wrote:

Assuming there is no warning system.

There is a gigantic warning xD, multiple spread out over the whole process, with a bell tower like effect showing you where the tower in progress is.  Part of the reason why people are saying it's impossible right now, aside from the sustainability issue.

Last edited by Greep (2018-12-30 01:18:36)

#58 2018-12-30 01:27:52

MultiLife

Greep wrote:
MultiLife wrote:

Assuming there is no warning system.

There is a gigantic warning xD, multiple spread out over the whole process, with a bell tower like effect showing you where the tower in progress is.  Part of the reason why people are saying it's impossible right now, aside from the sustainability issue.

Oof, don't really like how it distracts everyone from the game of crafting and parenting, but at least it has a warning system so that's something.
I'm just sad we even have to have that.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-12-30 01:37:26)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#59 2018-12-30 01:44:02

antking:]#

I have a question that I hope someone can answer, how do you post a topic?

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#60 2018-12-30 02:29:49

CrazyEddie

In the upper left corner, click on "One Hour One Life Forums". Then click on the forum you want to post on (e. g. "Main Forum").  Then near the upper right corner click on "Post new topic".

#61 2018-12-30 07:26:58

BlueDiamondAvatar

In the past two days, I have hidden four completed endblocks, two empty endblocks, and one endstone.   I've only had to take apart an endblock tower once.   I've also lived in a town where people wanting to get knives for their endstone ceremony has led to them being outed as grievers and brought to justice. 

I'm also starting to plan out ways to block off nosajs in the jungle.  I wonder - do we need to block all access, or can it only be used from one direction?

Disrupting the apocalypse is actually kinda fun.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#62 2018-12-30 15:01:53

SirCaio

I'm just hoping the next update follows the line and is "The Monument 2.0" update. Give us something else that is useful and takes a long time to build, to divert people's attention from trying to build the apocalypse to something more positive.

Board footer