One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-27 21:16:58

InSpace

It's that time of the year, apocalypse is back!

#2 2018-12-27 21:57:59

Averest

Re: It's that time of the year, apocalypse is back!

This time with human sacrifice. hmm

#3 2018-12-27 22:04:17

Tarr
Banned

Averest wrote:

This time with human sacrifice. hmm

Between the snowball exploit and sewing the stabbed person up it actually requires no sacrifice. Just bring a snowball and hit your partner before stabbing. Gives you a bloody knife and your stabbed person drops the illness in 10 seconds so they're unwounded and can feed you.

The only "difficult" part is the waiting and maybe finding the Jason heads hidden in the jungle.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2018-12-27 23:25:58

MultiLife

Hey, does anyone know if our Eve camps (60 years, home marker set) are truly saved with location and items, and brought back when respawned into them as a new Eve, even after zillion apocalypses?

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#5 2018-12-27 23:34:03

MultiLife

Also I don't understand why we need apocalypse when stuff already gets wiped out. Why do the players need the power of a wipe?

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#6 2018-12-28 02:43:46

Tarr
Banned

L8tzyHn.jpg

Was done in 50~ years from scratch. Would have been easier but my kids basically did nothing my whole life.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2018-12-28 03:06:26

CrazyEddie

Starting as Eve?

#8 2018-12-28 03:11:50

CrazyEddie

Now that the town-revisit bug has been fixed, it will take either a single long-lived lineage committed to the apocalypse (which could just include the apocalypse-makers being reborn into it) or it will take a lot of searching and a lot of luck to find an existing tower and keep adding to it.

The Eve spawn spiral will ensure that subsequent Eves are rarely spawned anywhere near an existing tower.

And keeping a single lineage alive long enough to complete a tower will be very challenging.

Maybe if enough people are dedicated to constructing towers every single life, there will be enough lying around that one of them will eventually get completed.

#9 2018-12-28 03:20:27

Tarr
Banned

CrazyEddie wrote:

Starting as Eve?

Was Gen 2. From about 8~50 so 42ish minutes to get that far without any actual help besides having someone to stab. I could definitely get one up as Eve and probably even faster if my kids did anything to help get the process going.

Only hard part doing it as Eve would be finding the Jason faces but I had two. One was within 50 tiles north and the other was <200 to the south of the camp.

Last edited by Tarr (2018-12-28 03:21:07)

fug it’s Tarr.

#10 2018-12-28 04:43:57

Tarr
Banned

Gl6KMVg.jpg

Hardest part of the apocalypse is literally waiting to be able to put blocks together. Single life I was able to collect up all my blocks with the help of Bendi for letting me shank for the blood. Next block will go down at 5:39am Est if the town is still going and I'm awake to put it down.

fug it’s Tarr.

#11 2018-12-28 04:54:50

CrazyEddie

Which server?

#12 2018-12-28 04:57:11

CrazyEddie

Build an east-west road while you're waiting. If the lineage dies the road might be found later. Searching for stuff north-south is best, so an east-west road will cut across the optimal search path.

Or put down single-tile road pieces, one every five or ten tiles or so. No need to connect them, and it will take less time and resources to cover a larger territory. Still just do them in an east-west line, again to cover the largest possible spawning space with the least amount of time and resources.

Last edited by CrazyEddie (2018-12-28 05:00:13)

#13 2018-12-28 05:00:10

Tarr
Banned

Apocalypse blocks are waiting in server one. I'd go through and try to put them on all the first three servers but that both seems like a waste of time and a bit try hardy.

Funny how the apocalypse took <1 hour in both iterations. I guess he got wise this time around instead by adding the timer between tiers.

fug it’s Tarr.

#14 2018-12-28 06:15:03

BlueDiamondAvatar

Apocalypse towers can be deconstructed without any tools.  So all it takes is for someone to find them to take them apart again. I'm curious, Tarr - what did the monument call sound like for other players on the server when you put the Endblock on a base?

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#15 2018-12-28 06:26:00

Tarr
Banned

You don't get the call sound until it's ready for the next tier to be added so I can't tell you what it sounds like unfortunately. Still have about four hours until I can add the next tier onto it and that'll only happen if the lineage survives that long. Depending on if any of my other apocalypse starts are okay we should be hearing something eventually.

I was going to set up a decoy tower elsewhere but the person with the spare endstone ended up getting lost or so something so once I noted where everything was I just suicided.

fug it’s Tarr.

#16 2018-12-28 06:48:52

lionon

Well basically an apocalypse can be forced by 3 players coordinating via discord and taking turns (/die until you are in the apocalypse-lineage and kill all other babies). Put enough food and lock the area with unbreakable blocks like bell tower bases. All the public warnings are void.

PS: It's just a mood point, since in 24 hours most lineage will be wiped by nocturnal infertility anyway.

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-28 06:49:33)

#17 2018-12-28 07:00:09

BlueDiamondAvatar

lionon wrote:

Well basically an apocalypse can be forced by 3 players coordinating via discord and taking turns (/die until you are in the apocalypse-lineage and kill all other babies). Put enough food and lock the area with unbreakable blocks like bell tower bases. All the public warnings are void.

PS: It's just a mood point, since in 24 hours most lineage will be wiped by nocturnal infertility anyway.

Umm, isn't server 1 the only server that's regularly sustained through nocturnal infertility?  And aren't most college kids still home?  I wouldn't expect nocturnal infertility to strike Server 1 for the next few days.  Not that any lineages have been making it twenty-four hours lately...

But yeah, if there's anyone who can lock the general public out of an area...it'd be Tarr.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#18 2018-12-28 09:02:24

hmrka

BlueDiamondAvatar wrote:

Apocalypse towers can be deconstructed without any tools.  So all it takes is for someone to find them to take them apart again.

Is there a reason a reason to prevent apocalypse tho? all Towns get lost eventually and now when you live to 60 as eve you can't respawn back in town

Last edited by hmrka (2018-12-28 09:03:00)

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#19 2018-12-28 10:44:43

InSpace

I think the apocalypse when activated should:

1: starts a one hour timer before the big boom
2: Prevents new kids from being born during the timer

If I play the game and everything could end at any second, I don't wanna play. But if it's like "here live out your life, but no more kids!" I would be like, ok cool, sit around and say goodbye and chat for a while and then die. Cool.

#20 2018-12-28 11:38:36

The_Anabaptist

While I was pondering the coming Apocalypse, I wondered if the training tutorial area is exempt.  I mean nothing says Steam refund better than a new game owner logging into the training session for the first time than to get a message saying that they died to the apocalypse?

So speculating that the tutorial is exempt.  Shouldn't the ultimate goal be: 1) break into the training grounds, 2) assemble all the pieces within it, 3) destroy the world, & 4) have a good laugh on the forums as you share the video of yourself surviving the apocalypse.

The_Anabaptist

#21 2018-12-28 12:20:17

Tarr
Banned

Tutorial is on the the server of your choice just very very VERY far away. While a tutorial village would be the easiest to keep afloat (unlimited iron, milkweed, clothes) it gets rather boring and is wiped daily.

Best bet is still probably better to put the stuff down in a city and hope that the eve spiral eventually puts someone close enough to town again.

fug it’s Tarr.

#22 2018-12-28 12:23:25

MultiLife

InSpace wrote:

If I play the game and everything could end at any second, I don't wanna play. But if it's like "here live out your life, but no more kids!" I would be like, ok cool, sit around and say goodbye and chat for a while and then die. Cool.

Yeah, same. I don't know if there is an apocalypse tower done in 24 hours or in 1 minute when I'm born (at least I fear this is how it is). While I know all is in vain in the end, this doesn't help motivating me to create things, at all. I can imagine myself putting the 5th pot of stew on coals, enjoying life, my achievements, and what I will leave after I'm gone, only to see the screen get white and say "oh lol apocalypse killed ya and took yer stew would'ya look at that!". After that I'd rather sit in jungle eating bananas and talking to others like some chatting game than try to make a house if the apocalypse can trigger ANY moment I spend in the game. Even teaching seems pointless if my student and I die mid-session.

I'm fine with losing things if it's to be expected like weekly wipeouts or server maintenances, and if the Eve camp saving system works even after apocalypses, that's good enough (so my old "saved camps" can be brought over after every apocalypse). But if it wipes absolutely everything, including saved Eve spots, then I see no point putting time to playing. It's kinda like playing with building blocks, and someone kicking them down, but ALSO taking the blocks away from me every time so I need to get new ones. Like yes, kick the blocks if you have to but if you take away everything, I lose my motivation.

I think many come to play when they hear "civilization building game" but when they hear "civilization building game that restarts all the time unexpectedly", I think they'd run off screaming.

I'm gonna sit out for a while and listen to forums how this goes. I never wanted apocalypse, so if it's really bad, it's time to move on.

#23 2018-12-28 12:49:58

Strilar

MultiLife wrote:
InSpace wrote:

Yeah, same. I don't know if there is an apocalypse tower done in 24 hours or in 1 minute when I'm born (at least I fear this is how it is). While I know all is in vain in the end, this doesn't help motivating me to create things, at all. I can imagine myself putting the 5th pot of stew on coals, enjoying life, my achievements, and what I will leave after I'm gone, only to see the screen get white and say "oh lol apocalypse killed ya and took yer stew would'ya look at that!". After that I'd rather sit in jungle eating bananas and talking to others like some chatting game than try to make a house if the apocalypse can trigger ANY moment I spend in the game. Even teaching seems pointless if my student and I die mid-session.

I'm fine with losing things if it's to be expected like weekly wipeouts or server maintenances, and if the Eve camp saving system works even after apocalypses, that's good enough (so my old "saved camps" can be brought over after every apocalypse). But if it wipes absolutely everything, including saved Eve spots, then I see no point putting time to playing. It's kinda like playing with building blocks, and someone kicking them down, but ALSO taking the blocks away from me every time so I need to get new ones. Like yes, kick the blocks if you have to but if you take away everything, I lose my motivation.

I think many come to play when they hear "civilization building game" but when they hear "civilization building game that restarts all the time unexpectedly", I think they'd run off screaming.

I'm gonna sit out for a while and listen to forums how this goes. I never wanted apocalypse, so if it's really bad, it's time to move on.

Agreed on all accounts. I had a great time playing this X-mas and was really looking forward to play again this Saturday... now like you, i feel like sitting out and just browse the forums to check on how things are going.

I don't post much because i either spend my little free time playing or reading/posting, and i prefer playing! (only read forums when i have some time at work! tongue)
I really LOVE teaching players and many times that takes me devote my whole life just teaching a single player who says he's new. And it's frustrating when i spend 30 minutes teaching things step-by-step and he dies because he forgot to eat but that's part of the game and can be controlled (sometimes i even feed them myself), but it's even MORE frustrating, if our lessons are interrupted by a white screen and it's all over! I want a "civilization building game", not a "civilization destruction game" hmm

#24 2018-12-28 12:55:29

fatalwolf

@ Multilife

Dont know if you were around when the first apocalypse update happen, but it was horrible. Wipes were happening multiple times a day until Jason disabled it. With the time limit on this one without a doubt we will have one wipe every 1-2 days. Most likely by one person or group being persistent just like the last time this update happened.

Buff fishing

#25 2018-12-28 13:47:34

MultiLife

Maybe when the tower is finished, the world could get a red filter on, and it takes x amount of hours for the wipe to happen as the deepening red filter warns players of it being underway. And it could get more red the closer the end is so people can decide whether they want to keep playing or not, as the end is imminent. Ah well, I should hold my suggestions, haven't even seen the apocalypse yet. I just feel that the "surpriseeee a tower was finished JUST as you fueled your car!" is not gonna be great at all. Really damages my will to contribute to survival - let's just go nomad and live off the delicious RNG berries, eh? Mother nature will generate us plentiful berry bushes, no need to break our backs for them...

But yes I do think there will be a dedicated group who will live their lives and /die to ensure apocalypses keep happening. We may get less murders overall as the real griefers are busy out there, making the towers everywhere they can.
I wonder if server 1 is gonna be apocalypsed to dust, while server 2 and others get it way less.

I don't welcome the idea of apocalypse builders vs apocalypse preventers. The whole apocalypse is heavily on the "magical" side which Jason seems to usually avoid (blessing etc.). Adding this "war" for people is nothing but a distraction in my books; a distraction from parenting, families and building experiences as a team... A very unwelcome distraction to me. I would be worrying over towers possibly being somewhere outside of my vision, never knowing I could've broken them in my life, unless I spend time to scan the area to make sure I don't miss any...

fatalwolf wrote:

@ Multilife

Dont know if you were around when the first apocalypse update happen, but it was horrible. Wipes were happening multiple times a day until Jason disabled it. With the time limit on this one without a doubt we will have one wipe every 1-2 days. Most likely by one person or group being persistent just like the last time this update happened.

I wasn't here when there was apocalypse, but yes, I saw the reviews and the reactions. I do heavily side with the community who felt like it was a bitch slap to the builders and creators while it was a warm hug for griefers; the ultimate tool to sabotage your teammates, your fellow players: a total wipe of creations triggered by a fellow player, and not a master AI to fight against... A god mode for a griefer, really, why choose to grief 5 guys when you can grief 55 guys at once? There is nothing else to that tool. No precision so it could be used for good.

Strilar wrote:

Agreed on all accounts. I had a great time playing this X-mas and was really looking forward to play again this Saturday... now like you, i feel like sitting out and just browse the forums to check on how things are going.

I don't post much because i either spend my little free time playing or reading/posting, and i prefer playing! (only read forums when i have some time at work! tongue)
I really LOVE teaching players and many times that takes me devote my whole life just teaching a single player who says he's new. And it's frustrating when i spend 30 minutes teaching things step-by-step and he dies because he forgot to eat but that's part of the game and can be controlled (sometimes i even feed them myself), but it's even MORE frustrating, if our lessons are interrupted by a white screen and it's all over! I want a "civilization building game", not a "civilization destruction game" hmm

I think we had a surge of new players on Christmas too. Now they get to be greeted by apocalypse update. What a warm welcome!
I also have little time, often checking forums on my breaks and playing when home. I also feed my students sometimes, as I've had them fall over mid-lesson (also thought the starving mode suggestion was awesome, so I can see them starving before they turn to bones), but now you have no power over how the end goes, a berry won't hold up your lessons anymore. A magical apocalypse says it's over, like a mom who takes away your game without a warning.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-12-28 13:51:11)

Board footer