One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-19 11:32:48

Booklat1

Animals and the step on items exploit

Most older players are aware of this but if you step on a tile which has an item you can effectively avoid all animals. In fact, animals can't step at all in tiles with items, making it even possible to lock animals by cluttering the space around them/keeping them to biome borders.

Now, I don't wanna make this game harder on newer players, but I think we should have animals capable of stepping on stuff. Jason has said he might work on this feature and I think it'd be great. Mostly its older players that use this trick to survive, so it really feels like a cheap exploit (how dangerous is it to gather iron when 90% of the times you can avoid all wolves by just being careful?).

What do you guys think about it? Personally, I believe this makes bear attacks more interesting and early game scouting more dangerous. Maybe to compensate the added difficulty we get some tech, like bear traps.

#2 2018-12-19 14:42:21

wondible

Re: Animals and the step on items exploit

Animals existing on tiles is the hard problem. The answer is probably to make them deadly along their path while moving, but I haven't looked at how hard that is to code. There are probably still corner cases, such as used in sheep pens, but it wouldn't be as easily abuseable.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#3 2018-12-19 14:49:14

Booklat1

Jason stated something along the lines of he being able to change it but would need to take some time to do it.

#4 2018-12-21 05:22:02

xclame

I would be fine with this being changed. I'm happy  with being able to cheat a animal by just standing on an item, but I have to admit that it is very silly. I would add tho,  if this is done, I'd like bear caves to be changed so they can't just be triggered be someone clicking on them, since that also feels silly and while were at it make it so someone can't just lure a bear, maybe make it so every now and then randomly be bear will lunge or something like that so luring a bear would be very dangerous, let's be honest bears don't really follow people in real life, at least not "forever".

Last edited by xclame (2018-12-21 05:24:08)

#5 2018-12-21 08:00:06

lionon

The issue is simply, "animals" are at the current stage of the engine actually items that move around and there is no such thing as multiple items on a cell.

The solution would be to have animals be their own layer. Or to share the layer with the players.

Possible, sensible, not trivial

#6 2018-12-21 08:44:37

Greep

Well, touching animals code doesn't seem like a big priority if things like zoom mod exist.  You have some portion of the playerbase that is essentially immune to all animals not hiding behind trees or striking during a lag spike, and making it harder on those that don't use the mod will just make them use it.

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#7 2018-12-21 10:42:41

Booklat1

lionon wrote:

The issue is simply, "animals" are at the current stage of the engine actually items that move around and there is no such thing as multiple items on a cell.

The solution would be to have animals be their own layer. Or to share the layer with the players.

Possible, sensible, not trivial

yeah, If I recall correctly that's really what Jason said. It might take some time to rewrite but I think anything making the game so much easier for pros and not newbies should be rebalanced. He even said he might do it.

About zoom, that is harder to solve. Jason didn't make zoom and isn't gonna balance the game based on that. People are free to play on easy mode it they want. I don't because it'd take the fun out of grindy jobs I like (like gathering iron).

#8 2018-12-21 19:27:03

ryanb
Website

It is possible to have multiple objects in one tile with containers. Perhaps Jason could use this system to make each animal a container which picks up the item it lands on and drops it when moving again. Quite a hack but it wouldn't require changes to the database engine.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

Board footer