One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-18 15:44:40

Bluh

[MOD] WSAD Movement keys and SPACEBAR for click move only

You can move with WSAD or YHGJ (for AZEWRTY keybors)

- Click is simulated, so pathfinding works - You not getting stuck on trees
- SPACEBAR + mouse no interactions - just MOVEmenst
- You still can move with mouse as usual.
- When You type in chat none of these keys are working

It's just a client mod - all You need to do is to copy it to your game directory and use instead of normal .exe file.
Version for Linux and Windows here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywpbmvx2npwj7 … 7.zip?dl=1
Can't do Mac.
Fork:
https://github.com/wrobelp/OneLife

Works with all v67 servers just as normal client - it simply adds WASD and SPACEBAR on top of mouse.

You can't spam buttons to overload server. I believe this version is ready for all players to use. Maybe Jason could incorporate it in official client - we will see.

For now - give me a feedback - good/bad, errors, anything.

P.S.: I see that switching things and putting thins down it's easy to implement as well. Problem is picking and using things, but not impossible. Maybe one day smile

Last edited by Bluh (2018-03-19 07:28:02)

#2 2018-03-18 23:00:37

Greyhammer

Re: [MOD] WSAD Movement keys and SPACEBAR for click move only

Thank you for your work!

Giving this a shot.

#3 2018-03-19 00:10:40

Joriom
Website

Please remember this is third party software and as of such you can't be sure that autor does not process your login data in unwanted ways. Because of this reason distributing full executables should be prohibited.

If you want to distribute your mod - please provide only source code fork on GitHub for people to verify and compile themselves.

#4 2018-03-19 07:21:46

Bluh

Joriom wrote:

If you want to distribute your mod - please provide only source code fork on GitHub for people to verify and compile themselves.

I agree in principle. I would surely prefer this way myself, but I'm a programmer. I know however that not everyone will bother compiling. Especially for Windows. It took me more time to figure out how to cross-compile for Windows than make initial version of mod. If I would like to make money on stealing login and keys I would be better taking overtime in job. Besides I wanted this mod for myself and my friends/family. My younger sister wouldn't compile it myself and to be honest I doubt that a lot of people here too.

Repo:

I've created pull request so maybe it will be a part of official game soon. At least SPACEBAR + Click since it resolves regular mouse dragging as well.

#5 2018-03-19 09:21:14

Joriom
Website

Bluh wrote:
Joriom wrote:

I agree in principle. I would surely prefer this way myself, but I'm a programmer. I know however that not everyone will bother compiling. Especially for Windows. It took me more time to figure out how to cross-compile for Windows than make initial version of mod. If I would like to make money on stealing login and keys I would be better taking overtime in job. Besides I wanted this mod for myself and my friends/family. My younger sister wouldn't compile it myself and to be honest I doubt that a lot of people here too.

Repo:

I've created pull request so maybe it will be a part of official game soon. At least SPACEBAR + Click since it resolves regular mouse dragging as well.

Feel free to distribute it to your friends. Sadly - the game does not support "safe" modding yet and the more exceptions we allow for distributing executables, the more people will try to use that against tech newbies. Thats why strict rules are important.

Also - if you don't know how to compile the game, dont use mods as of yet. Thats safer for most of the users.

#6 2018-03-20 06:28:52

Bluh

Joriom wrote:

... the more exceptions we allow for distributing executables, the more people will try to use that against tech newbies. Thats why strict rules are important.

We? Rules? I think source code is open and I can do what I want. Don't doing anything wrong here. The fact that someone can be a thief doesn't make me one.

It's good that You warn others but that's all You can do. After all we still have a free will. Not every one uses it but I do.

The bigger problem are trolls and murderers in game than someone that makes a mod.

Last edited by Bluh (2018-03-20 06:38:46)

#7 2018-03-20 07:50:55

Joriom
Website

Bluh wrote:
Joriom wrote:

... the more exceptions we allow for distributing executables, the more people will try to use that against tech newbies. Thats why strict rules are important.

We? Rules? I think source code is open and I can do what I want. Don't doing anything wrong here. The fact that someone can be a thief doesn't make me one.

It's good that You warn others but that's all You can do. After all we still have a free will. Not every one uses it but I do.

The bigger problem are trolls and murderers in game than someone that makes a mod.

The more rules WE as EXPERIENCED COMMUNITY allow that is.
Rules as in Netiquette & Virtual Safety which I believe is known to most experenced web dwellers.
Some rules are also so universal that even if not stated directly - should be enforced.

Source is open, you CAN do whatever you want to do with it and any executables you make out of it. I do not disagree. Feel free to send it to your friends or post is wherever allowed.
Although please remember that posting ANY executables in public forum or any open commuity without permission of administrator violates Netiquette, virtual safety rules (aka common sense rules) as well as, in most cases, internal regulations of those communities.

I do not lessen others problems there are by giving you this advice (or warning, whatever you interpret this as) and I am not assuming your mod is harmfull. All I'm saying that executables roaming around public space without any strict rules finally put vigil to sleep and lead to disasters.

Your wrong is not by distributing the mod. Its doing it in public space without the space administration clear persmission or validation. That is - In My Humble Opinion, because we do not have ANY regulations on this forum as of yet other than common sense - because Jason prefers to spend his time on the game itself than legsl disclaimers and regulations.

#8 2018-03-20 11:11:48

voyager156

Joriom this is only a mod - chill out. You acting like a jerk.

#9 2018-03-20 12:31:08

Joriom
Website

voyager156 wrote:

Joriom this is only a mod - chill out. You acting like a jerk.

Its not "only a mod" in technical terms. Its a full blowns executable that has full access to your computer and can any time dowload additonal software and install it without your permission or run in background logging your every key press, including, but not limited to: game key, bank account details, email passwords, etc.

I'm not saying this file uploaded by Bluh has is, but I'm acting as careful, reasonable member of the community who has seen many times in his life groups that allowed executables without veryficatio untill one jerk came logically thinking "they don't check this shit out, lets infect some computers for free without any effort". If we make one exception, others will follow. With to many exceptions - one is bound to have bad consequences.

#10 2018-03-20 12:32:20

Bluh

Joriom wrote:

Rules as in Netiquette & Virtual Safety

Can You provide direct source fro what You reffering here?

Joriom wrote:

in most cases, internal regulations of those communities

Joriom wrote:

we do not have ANY regulations on this forum as of yet other than common sense - because Jason prefers to spend his time on the game itself than legsl disclaimers and regulations.

I don't forcing You to download anything. You can compile it by yourself if You want to checkout this mod.

I don't like to be treated as terrorist on the airport and in the same way I don't wanna be treated as thief/scammer here. I put my free time and work to made this mod and I want it to be accessible for those who wanna use it as well. Don't see anything wrong in this.

Potentially forked code could be malicious as well and written in a way that it's not easy to spot the threat. Assuming that one would even bother looking at the code. Maybe one could compile since instructions are available but can't verify the code. How does github fork makes it safer?

What about other mods and even entire Linux distributions posted on this forum?

I totally agree that exe files can be harmful but so can be knife. As with a lot of things in life it depends how You gonna use them...

This discussion went far away from mod topic to moral divagations. Isn't offtopic against Netiquette? smile

Przy okazji: Pozdro smile

#11 2018-03-20 12:37:20

Joriom
Website

Bluh wrote:

Potentially forked code could be malicious as well and written in a way that it's not easy to spot the threat. Assuming that one would even bother looking at the code. Maybe one could compile since instructions are available but can't verify the code. How does github fork makes it safer?

Forked code provides list of all changes made to the oryginal branch which can be verified by everyone who wants to compile the source.

Bluh wrote:

I totally agree that exe files can be harmful but so can be knife. As with a lot of things in life it depends how You gonna use them...

Even most kids know that knife is sharp and they should not do some stuff with it. Sadly many people (most of them I would guess) - even our elders (or mostly them at this point?) dont know how computer works exactly and how to be safe in the internet. Its our job, the community, to protect them.

Board footer