One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-18 18:48:36

Harry

Griefing isn't an issue - being male is.

I have lived countless lives on the game now, and I think, out of all of them, maybe once or twice I was stabbed with a knife. I have lived to old age in countless, advanced villages with no issue relating to griefing at all - most of the time people don't even have knives, even in some highly advanced areas. My own experience obviously doesn't mean griefing doesn't happen, as I'm sure it does, I just don't think it is to a scale that people make it out to be. I've seen comments stating that people are worried that every life will end up ruined by a griefer? That's nonsense - most people buy the game to play the game, not waste £17 on stabbing people for a half-assed twenty minutes of fun.

What I truly think the issue is... Is being a man. Though I'm sounding like a radical feminist at this point, men are simply pointless in this game. There have been numerous occasions in the game where I spawn as a male, only to be starved to death by parents who desire females, or I've even seen male babies run off into the forest, dying, only to try and respawn again as a girl. I, myself, have even been guilty of selecting girls over boys in the choice of who lives and dies... Women can continue the legacy, after all.

I therefore think men need much more of an importance in the game. Whether it becomes mandatory for a woman to give birth near a man (then we can spawn some Adam's as well as eves) or any other role which makes men have more of a use. Thoughts on this? Or what could be implemented to make men more important?

#2 2018-03-18 19:04:15

InSpace

Re: Griefing isn't an issue - being male is.

tumblr_lzs3bnDE921r41kd7o1_400.jpg

#3 2018-03-18 19:15:04

EaterOfBerries

You could give men slightly larger hunger bars.

#4 2018-03-18 19:22:31

Thexus

Male privilege at it's finest.

However, I like being a male and just exploring, instead of nursing and afking at the fire, you can be a blacksmith without anyone interrupting you. On the other hand, i had several tribes die out because of no fertile females, it's both good and bad.

Discord: Translators' Server, Thexus#3774
Working again on translations, oof

#5 2018-03-18 19:42:40

Baker

I don't get this whole anti-male thing that's going around. I personally prefer playing as a man over women, I can actually get stuff done without getting burdened by the constant stream of babies.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#6 2018-03-18 19:52:47

Helperguy

I did also live countless lifes and I definitely do not think that males are unimportant or not necessary.
Males have the power to travel around.

As a woman:
You HAVE to care for childs at least until they have hair, because otherwise the community will die.
Farming is one of the best things, a woman can do.

As a man:
I am very disappointed that i have to make clothes in about 95% of communities, because everyone does only care about either farming (which is actually quite good) or more worse: doing senseless stuff.
Today, I was reborn three times in the same community (server7.onehouronelife.com) and I had to
hunt rabbits from child till the age of 60.
But even after this three full hours of making clothes, there were still people running around naked, because I could only craft about 10 full clothings for at least 15 people.

#7 2018-03-18 20:12:25

Dagar

I agree with your statement that griefing should not be or stay such a big concern. We will likely see short spikes as people want to try out new weapons.

Apart from that, I like playing both male and female characters. As other already said, being male gives more perceived freedom.

#8 2018-03-18 21:04:54

lf

Actually today I was born into a community that decided to kill all new girls. To keep population under control. Which at some point might actually be a good strategy.

#9 2018-03-18 22:21:13

tcecrog

I been seening a problem where families just die off when night time comes around, due an extremely low birthrate (Nocturnal Infertility). During this time, I see a lot more males killed off to become females.

I think Jason should have males be able to either be around or do some action with females will make those females have higher priority of giving birth over other females. As for when there is a baby boom, infanticide of females is happening at the moment.

I think that having Adams is a bad idea, because why go through childhood when I could just start off as an adult.

Last edited by tcecrog (2018-03-18 22:24:12)

#10 2018-03-18 23:48:07

ned

Helperguy wrote:

I
As a woman:
You HAVE to care for childs at least until they have hair, because otherwise the community will die.
Farming is one of the best things, a woman can do.

As a man:
I am very disappointed that i have to make clothes in about 95% of communities, because everyone does only care about either farming (which is actually quite good) or more worse: doing senseless stuff.
But even after this three full hours of making clothes, there were still people running around naked, because I could only craft about 10 full clothings for at least 15 people.

Bro. Do you see how one causes the other? Women can't feed every mouth that pops out their hoo ha. Every woman gets roughly 6 or 7 kids on average. Is that sustainable? Hell no. Half of those people you made clothes for probably starved. Some babies will just starve. If you let the boys starve, and keep a couple girls, that maximizes your chance of survival without putting too much pressure on food. If you let the girls starve, you minimize that chance, because infertile males will be walking around, waiting to die alone.

This is why girls are better. Dont work from the assumption that you have to feed every infant. I saw 7 babies in one settlement, and 10 minutes later everyone was gone. In one game, where I was a male whose family had been attacked and all the women had died, I came across literally 3 other settlements in that same life where the exact same thing happened.

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

#11 2018-03-19 00:19:04

Joriom
Website

Baker wrote:

I don't get this whole anti-male thing that's going around. I personally prefer playing as a man over women, I can actually get stuff done without getting burdened by the constant stream of babies.

As a woman you con "get stuff done" as well - and if kid pops up, just let the MoFo starve. Not your problem. Let him be reborn to actual mother needeing child.

You don't like letting kids to starve? No my problem. Thats how it was for humans for millenia! And thats how you need to deal with stuff. Don't apply modern compassion rules to stone age or medieval society. If you want to be next saint - go play tetris.

#12 2018-03-19 00:42:12

Dchella

Joriom wrote:
Baker wrote:

As a woman you con "get stuff done" as well - and if kid pops up, just let the MoFo starve. Not your problem. Let him be reborn to actual mother needeing child.

You don't like letting kids to starve? No my problem. Thats how it was for humans for millenia! And thats how you need to deal with stuff. Don't apply modern compassion rules to stone age or medieval society. If you want to be next saint - go play tetris.

You have the option to let the child starve, ofcourse, but why would you let that happen if you are secure? I prefer building stuff in a generation and having it able to be passed down to the next. Dieoffs are quite common, and when woman throw their kids away it only makes the problem worse.

It's not about having a holier-than-thou attitude on the topic or my desire to play Tetris; it's to ensure that I have someone to profit from the work the community does in the present.

#13 2018-03-19 01:40:54

Joriom
Website

Dchella wrote:

You have the option to let the child starve, ofcourse, but why would you let that happen if you are secure? I prefer building stuff in a generation and having it able to be passed down to the next. Dieoffs are quite common, and when woman throw their kids away it only makes the problem worse.

It's not about having a holier-than-thou attitude on the topic or my desire to play Tetris; it's to ensure that I have someone to profit from the work the community does in the present.

I simply love when people don't read or don't know what they really want... And then throw agruments that make oryginal statement even worse.

"Havig males is good, because they have no kids"
"Having all females and throwing some kids is bad because you will not have enough kids"
Can't you see those advocate two different points of view?

My point is:
- Being male is bad - because you can't replace "common mothers" if you loose some or they just leave.
- Being female is good because you can do everything that male can + you can have babies and feed them.
- Killing kids born while you're occupied with something important but have ONLY FEMALES in village is not bad - there are plenty other females to pop that kid out few seconds later in better place of your village.

To respond to your direct question:
Even if you're secure - your resources are limited. So if you're not dedicated to raising children - don't (the only exception: when you notice nobody else is raising them). You might easily overpopulate the land and exceed the sutainable ammount. You also won't teach them proper rules because you willl be to busy with other stuff (farming, smithing, hunting?).

Amazon villages are way better than midex ones.

#14 2018-03-19 01:41:31

gearguts

Allow only males to run around with bows to make it harder for griefers to simply respawn as an Eve, solves both problems  /s

#15 2018-03-19 03:55:58

EmmyGamba

Unless you're building your village together in a premade group (using voice chat or something), then amazon villages are always doomed for failure. They usually don't last alot of generation because at some point no one has control over the population anymore and mass starvation follows. The logical consequence for having no birth regulation.

Because by raising only girls YOU give the control completely out of your hands, by granting every single person in your community the ability to increase the population as they please. While most of them, even if they're not new probably don't think much about the ressources they're going to need to feed all those mouths. The "tragedy of the commons" takes effect pretty quickly in a situation like that.

That's why I actually prefer sons, only ever keep 1-2 daughters and teach them to do the same when they become mothers. Males can't swarm the village with children, they will only ever cost the ressources they need to stay alive and will (in most cases) spent their entire life just working, helping the village to grow. So far that has proven very succesful for me and the communities I've build from scratch usually last a very long time. Sometimes I'm reborn inside my own village after half a day and its still flourishing better than ever, while neighbouring villages are often long dead.

In fact I'm pretty sure after some time, as the community of this game progresses and becomes better at managing civilizations, that the dominating kingdoms will work similar to ant colonies. There will always be one or maybe more queens (depending on the size of the kingdom) and they're going to be the one to manage the whole thing. Mainly by "producing" male workers, caring for them until they're old enough, assign them their specific task and only raising 1-2 princesses from which one is going to be their succesor.

Last edited by EmmyGamba (2018-03-19 03:56:47)

#16 2018-03-19 05:48:07

Baker

Joriom wrote:
Baker wrote:

Wow you got quite an attitude.

Last edited by Baker (2018-03-19 06:29:52)

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#17 2018-03-19 06:22:47

shoukanjuu

Baker wrote:
Joriom wrote:
Baker wrote:

Wow you got quite an attitude now don't you now?

It's a good attitude. If I'm out trapping rabbits or searching for whatever, I'll almost always ignore any babies that pop out along the way. Unless I've got pies (rare), or find myself right next to some berry bushes, when I'm fully dressed and have an adult hunger bar, then I might take the time to hold the baby, find out if it knows how to compost or whatever, and teach it what I think is the most important.

If I'm in a settlement and I'm doing stuff, I'll plop that baby down by the fire and most likely leave it to some other mothers to deal with.

If I'm an Eve, and I've come across enough resources that I think I can survive while raising a babe or two, and am either dressed or very close to it, then I'll give it a go, since it's not likely that I'll make any significant gains on my own, in a single lifetime.

Occasionally, I might find myself in the role of village mother, nursing ALL of the babies and trying to teach them what I can. Still, I'm pretty harsh. Babies are to stay put when I put them somewhere and to stay in my arms when I pick them up. If they can't even follow those simple directions, then the village doesn't need them, and that's an important lesson to learn.

Board footer