One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-18 00:15:25

Tea

The People You Meet In This Game

I've been playing for a while now and have met all sorts of people.

Roleplayer, Hard working Player, Pros, Sponges, Griefers, Idiots, .... you name it. But recently I've met a new kind or player you can find in this game.

Those who think that they own everything they make or gather.

Now don't get me wrong, if you made a BP for yourself, then yes, that is yours until your death. The people I'm talking about are those who gather materials and don't want to share it with others because THEY gathered or made it, so it belongs to THEM and if you want that kind of materials or stuff, you'd have to gather or make it yourself.

I just had that kind of person in one of my life again. I spend years gathering iron for the town, since we were out of and we were missing some tools. Once I've gathered enough, me and an old man fired up the forge and started to turn the iron into ingots and so on.

Then I used some kindling lying near the forge and just as I wanted to fire it up, some guy came and took it out. I told him to put it back, already pissed that there were many people standing at the forge, blocking some tiles. He didn't wanted to give it back. Why ? Because he gathered it. It was his. He told me to gather some myself if I wanted kindling.

I don't know what he did with that or why he needed that. He was running around the forge the whole time and I was very close shooting him, especially after he "accidentally" stabbed me. He might have but it seemed too fishy to be an accident.
It seems that I find those kind of players a lot lately. THEY gathered it, THEY made it, so it belongs to THEM. Last time it was a basket. Someone got angry because one lady dared to use HIS basket to get soil from the compost.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as MINE (BP, clothes and knifes are another thing) in a town. Everything can be used by everyone. The iron that a boy gathered doesn't belong to him. The stew that granny made, doesn't belong to her only. The wood that some person cut doesn't belong to only him/her. If you don't want someone taking your kindling, then DON'T PUT IT NEXT TO THE FORGE OR BAKERY.

Or players who just take stuff from someone without asking.
You need that cart next to you to put all the wood in it for the fire ? Too bad, this player needs it more for his own stuff/plans. Someone is making compost and the shovel is next to the poop so they can add it later ? Just grab it without asking so he can bury those thousands of bones.

Is it too hard to ask ?

I just find it so fascinating and shocking at the same time. Or it's just me who can't understand why people do that sort of thing ^^

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#2 2018-12-18 00:38:35

tana

Re: The People You Meet In This Game

looks like you ran into pein lol

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#3 2018-12-18 00:49:18

Glassius

Tea wrote:

In my opinion, there is no such thing as MINE (BP, clothes and knifes are another thing) in a town. Everything can be used by everyone.

2p7uic.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

Last edited by Glassius (2018-12-18 00:50:32)

#4 2018-12-18 01:14:02

CrazyEddie

If someone gathered or made something with a purpose in mind, you should respect that. There are many projects that require a complex set of inputs and operations and are time-sensitive, and if someone takes one thing away you have to stop your project and replace it... and by the time you replace it, many of the other things you have gathered will have been taken, and your project simply fails.

The problem is that it's not always easy to know when someone has gathered specific things for a specific purpose rather than simply having gathered them to add to the general-use inventory.

The more experience you have, the better you will be able to recognize when someone might be using something even if they don't have their hands on it right this very minute.

In the meantime, it's very easy to ask, and asking is always the polite thing to do.

#5 2018-12-18 01:18:43

CrazyEddie

... and special projects aside, even something as simple as a cart or a basket - while it doesn't belong to any one person - should never be taken unless it's clear that nobody else is using it right now or intends to use it in the near future.

It's polite to ask.

You seem to be in conflict with yourself on this point:

Someone got angry because one lady dared to use HIS basket to get soil from the compost. [ .. ] Or players who just take stuff from someone without asking. Is it too hard to ask ?

#6 2018-12-18 01:57:48

Tea

CrazyEddie wrote:

You seem to be in conflict with yourself on this point:

Someone got angry because one lady dared to use HIS basket to get soil from the compost. [ .. ] Or players who just take stuff from someone without asking. Is it too hard to ask ?

There were other baskets around that he could use, the lady just took it probably because it was just next to her. Sure she could have asked, but a BASKET ? ^^ I don't know it seemed silly to me

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#7 2018-12-18 02:24:55

Lily

Being grumpy because someone took your basket when there are five other empty baskets laying around is pretty silly. It probably isn't worth fighting with people over that though. I would just say my bad give them their basket and take the other. Same thing if they wanted the kindling, I would just give it to them and go find more, it isn't a big deal.

There is a lot of weird people in the game, so not worth getting too worried over the small stuff. You got to pick your fights.

#8 2018-12-18 04:01:18

The_Anabaptist

Tonight I had the silly conflict with somebody over their wheat straw.  it was clear that we both were attempting to make compost piles.  I literally had a cart with the shovel and berry/carrot mash ready to go, and could point to another pile I had just made a minute ago.  But in the end they took back their straw, and I took back the only shovel in the village and shoved off.  It was a very dysfunctional village.  I witnessed no less than six knife stabbings as a baby.

But I'm usually strongly in the camp of you better ask before randomly taking my stuff, especially when it comes to rope.

The_Anabaptist

#9 2018-12-18 05:20:50

BladeWoods

What annoys me is people who take all the baskets in town to store carrots or pies. Really. Other people need baskets to actually get things done, that basket only saves you two tiles. If there's excess baskets, sure, go for it, but if other people wanna take the baskets for baskety things don't complain.

But you'll learn to recognize some things as you learn the game. Like a rock in the bakery is there for a reason, to pound wheat. Don't take that rock, and please don't sharpen it. Go find your own rock. Similarly, a branch near wheat is for threshing it, don't make that branch into kindling. Go find your own branch yourself. And so on.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2018-12-18 05:24:40)

#10 2018-12-18 05:52:03

Sylverone

CrazyEddie wrote:

If someone gathered or made something with a purpose in mind, you should respect that. There are many projects that require a complex set of inputs and operations and are time-sensitive, and if someone takes one thing away you have to stop your project and replace it... and by the time you replace it, many of the other things you have gathered will have been taken, and your project simply fails.

The problem is that it's not always easy to know when someone has gathered specific things for a specific purpose rather than simply having gathered them to add to the general-use inventory.

The more experience you have, the better you will be able to recognize when someone might be using something even if they don't have their hands on it right this very minute.

In the meantime, it's very easy to ask, and asking is always the polite thing to do.

Agreed on all points, and I would add that as an extra layer of defense if you know your present situation is vulnerable to people taking stuff for some reason, you might want to consider repeating a polite statement that you are using them for something. This is also easy, since you can type it once and just press up to say it again. Of course not everyone will heed you and you have to be aware that greifers might take it as a challenge. It just returns to your point that being able to read the situation well is the real key. Paying attention.

BladeWoods wrote:

What annoys me is people who take all the baskets in town to store carrots or pies. Really. Other people need baskets to actually get things done, that basket only saves you two tiles. If there's excess baskets, sure, go for it, but if other people wanna take the baskets for baskety things don't complain.

And if you like baking baskets and there isn't excess, when you're done with your current baking tend the wheat and make some, or ask the farmer if they're willing. I personally like the feel of rapidly baking a bunch of pies from baskets I've lined up around me, but I also get your point. It's not like I automatically DESERVE those baskets just because I like them. My feelings on the issue aren't that strong or important. I was however quite impressed by the bakery in one town, to the left of which were four or five wooden bins for storing baskets of ingredients and finished goods. If you can reach that point, cool.

#11 2018-12-18 05:58:46

pein

wasnt me

but i totally understand
you need 15 firewood in a lifetime, and check upon it every 4 minutes
generally in a life you need to get a basket, some firewood, some clay and make some food
now i wont expect everyone to be fast and fully efficient, but this is more about attitude than the resources

i seen a chick tilling one soil cause we got iron, yeah bitch cause i wasted 30 min on it, we also got soil, and you shouldnt waste hoe on one soil to save you 1 minute, even if there is 698 iron there but you cant make your own hoe

you lose a soil each time carrot goes into seed and even if i hate it to do it myself, i would hate it to go to waste
we need seed, they make 2 seed rows, then they plant all then they forget the seeds and all goes to waste

worst thing i killed for was a branch
but its not the branch, is the principle
especially if you are spoiled dumb bitch, with full gear, go and fetch yourself a branch, its not that hard, rather than taking from someone who clearly using it
if you are too dumb to realize the purpose of  grouped things, and undo someones work, its your fault, and at least say sorry

when somebody makes a station, with every element needed, everything is vital, taking it without a question is annoying
i dont do that, i bring it back, be it a stone or a sharp stone or a plate

once i had like 3 kindling to make an axe, i had 2 kids, and no way to sustain them, and one was new, moving a lot around, and i would of left it starve, but suddenly grow hair and first thing she did, smashed the only stone to make a sharp stone, when there were like 3 around
but the only smiting stone, i fired up the kiln wasting  kindling and couldnt make hammer, couldnt make axe and my other daughter died
the whole map was very bad on kindling, and the axe would of made it viable

i often see people who believe in this communist thing as long as they are the benefactor
you brought soil? they instantly take it
you bring kindling? they start smiting
this is a form of enforcing others to a servant position when clearly they got better understanding of the game

i am also the one who made the fences around carrot seeds, while people were guarding the seed row doing nothing
and the one who makes 12+ straw hats for everyone and plants back the wheat
when you got excess you share it
when you need something ask for it

i seen a guy undoing everything i do for 10 minutes, for dumbfuck reasons, the minimum is to stop and listen

i had this jungle city experiment, and people took shittons of soil and water buckets from there, which was silly cause that station was better workign than the main city
yeah, i dont like to be in the middle of the crowd, and i choose a corner of the city, like 30 tiles away and make something nice
ask if you want to take something

even tarr and turnip said that you dont get stabbed by me if you arent a dick, i often help the people who i see working hard
if you do something that requires resources, you  got to fetch it, and if someone made the resources, has the priority of using it
if its in a corner of the city it means they got a plan with it

Last edited by pein (2018-12-18 09:22:41)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2018-12-18 07:56:38

xclame

Even knifes don't belong to the person that is carrying them, knifes are tools, just like any other tool, they are the towns tools, if you are walking around with "your" knife and not using it while sheep are piling up or bread is going uncut, then you are hurting the town, the knife is not a heirloom, USE IT, if the baker is a competent player and they don't have a knife, if the sheep herder is a competent player and doesn't have a knife and you have a knife and aren't helping them, you should GIVE THEM THE KNIFE.

Also even thought this is a community game, be considerate of individuals, if you took a basket just to separate soil so you can plant something, when you are done with that if you don't need the basket anymore, maybe bring it back where you got it from? Sure nobody might have been using it right now, but someone might be expecting the basket to be there and now you are making them waste time going around town to steal someone else's basket. You take kindling from  the forge pile to cook your stew, how about later on when you get a chance you bring back a bunch of branches to turn into kindling and add unto the pile. You take a bowl from next to the stew pot, which is clearly meant for the stew so you can use it to resoil and water the crops, when you are done with that how about bringing the bowl back, you never know someone might be starving and is on the way to get the stew because they know there was a bowl next to it and BOOM, now they are dead because you took the bowl away.

You don't always have to do this, like for example I'll take a sharp rock to use for something else a bit further away and not bring it back, because the tile right next to the  sharp rock I took there was another, but it shouldn't be hard to know when you should "pay" people back.

Last edited by xclame (2018-12-18 08:03:21)

#13 2018-12-18 08:24:02

lionon

BladeWoods wrote:

Well baskets make the life of a baker much easier, especially as you can store uncooked pies near the stove for quick handling when it is hot and to get away the output. If baskets are rare and you need one, sure just take one from the bakery output, keep one pie, put two on the ground and use it. I don't see the problem with this.

When working as baker(ess) I hardly have a shortage of baskets anyway. Usually it are plates that go down fast as the output buffer increases. (because people drop the empty plates somewhere in the wilderness).

#14 2018-12-18 08:31:16

lionon

All in all it's a difficult call, because stuff that is lying around all in town is unclear if it's just clutter you can use as resource or someone was going to build something.

I got agitated also on people for example:
* For taking out firewood of the oven/forge. Seriously, I just put it there for a reason! This is just as aweful as people taking paper out another printer in their office just to get theirs going. Man go to the storage and pick up a new pile!
* I remember going to make a backpack, I got 3 rabbits in a basket brought them to a place near town, went for another load... that rabbits gone, okay, just went for another load gone again... Then I took needle and ball of thread with me and made the backpack in the plains...

So if someone got that firewood to roast a rabbit to get a needle, or a goose, or simmer salt water, make stew, etc. and you take that firewood before they get that fire started I agree, I'd get agitated too.

I thought about a meta for town like an area "free for all" and an "please dont use unless untouched for 20 minutes" or so. However, I don't see this working.

From you story tough, that guy going all mad and then "accidently" shooting you with a bow I believe they were just a griefer from the get-go using the "this is mine"-meta just to stir up drama and go in their "plausible deniability"-mode about griefing.

#15 2018-12-18 09:42:48

pein

you can just do the newcomen foundation thing room
if you got like 8 stones, that's already 16x2 tiles, that's 4x4
diagonally they block each second and the room is a square diagonal with quite a lot of space inside, and just slap a grave on a corner and a door on other side, until that just another grave or adobe
i share the final result, you just make the process slower than necessary

6K6dGG2.png
you can even chain them
have one bell base and 1 extra diagonal block, if someone dies inside, or rose bushes

you cant step on tiles near the wall but you can store items
and it wont work with sheep

for 4 extra blocks is much bigger

now see who complains about ''not sharing''

oops this one needs no tile the door side as it blocks it, the door is the corner element

Last edited by pein (2018-12-18 12:20:55)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer