One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-18 06:52:54

Dchella

Usernames?

Although I understand the argument against naming, I feel like adding in a viewable username above someone would help more than harm. As of now, griefers kinda run rampant; one second you have a village, the next and it's gone because some baby picked up a knife.

The damage that they pose to communities is beyond substantial, and they have the potential to kill no matter what once they are reared. However, what if they didn't have to be reared? If a username was above the person's head, it would create notoriety and the mothers could simply just not feed the child, which would get rid of the threat. I understand that a person would have to kill A LOT to gain notoriety in game, but if a thread existed with just a list of known griefers, I feel like it would help.

Regardless, even if usernames didn't impact griefing, I feel like it would lead to some more dialogue between others. It would make a lot of "hey it's me!" encounters happen over time, which I think is good overall. It creates a sense of community, one that the game is severely lacking at the moment.
--
I type this after watching my village die after 3 generations (yes I spawned in the same spot three times). It was so awesome to see the growth, but watching a baby with a knife kill everyone, and effectively kill the village by killing the young, left an insanely sour taste in my mouth. I feel like this happens in every village, and with the already unstable conditions, I feel that it is bull that some baby who we birthed/fed/supported can easily get a weapon and kill us. It's made 100% worse by the pure communal aspect of the game.

#2 2018-03-18 07:08:22

Portager

Re: Usernames?

The thing is, this kind of thing didn't happen nearly as frequently until the past week. Griefing has always been a problem in this game, but inductively it would appear that it has gotten drastically worse over the past week. Story after story, post after post we see that everyone is becoming frustrated by this phenomena. When I first started playing 1h1l, I would occasionally get murdered, but it was a relatively rare occurrence. Even a week ago, it was not much of a problem.

This week the problem skyrocketed out of nowhere. It seems as though every other village is being wiped out, and I actually cringe when I have kids now, knowing that if I choose the wrong kid they might murder the society I worked so hard to build. Perhaps I am part of the problem, it would seem that all I do is post about griefing on this forum, maybe I am inspiring griefers and fueling their pleasure. Yet, I cannot stop talking about, because it is a serious problem that is fundamentally changing the game. If we don't come up with a solution to this problem, then the game will be hurt in the long term.

#3 2018-03-18 08:09:28

mrfox

Don't leave weapons lying around. This is the first step - making weapons is tricky so let's stop arming trolls.

#4 2018-03-18 08:34:31

Joriom
Website

I've left "our" server (locked to public one where randoms are not placed by the system atm) to see how it is on "random" servers. I've managed to uplift community of around 15 ppl from carrot farmers to steel tool users with handcarts... and then I was left alone as old lady just with one of my brothers when grieffer killed out entire village.

I tried again. Started with carrots already planted, had some kids, made some compost, started farmig milkweed. Wiped out by a kid with bow, backpack and 4 arrows - arrows were left there from previous civilization.

And yet again I try for the third time. Same situation - I'm about to make steel tools - wipe.

Fourth time I didn't even have chance to grow up properly.

For over 150 minutes spent today in 4 civilizations - every one ended up being wiped durig my lifetime by trolls. Yup. I'm back to "our" server.

We will never progress while this happens.

#5 2018-03-18 09:07:11

Go! Bwah!

I don't know what public servers y'all are playing on, but I've only been killed twice by griefers in all my games, once by knife and once by bow.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#6 2018-03-18 09:38:42

AbuRasha

Where are those griefiers coming from? If two weeks ago, I assume, it was just people intentionally having their "fun", now when it skyrocketed, I'm pretty much sure those are the people who got greatly disatisfied by game unfairness (be that children abandoning, griefing or carrot grinding in villages where, as it sometimes feels, noone knows to talk) and now are having "fun" the way they do, because non other way contents them no more.

#7 2018-03-18 10:01:50

AbuRasha

Or maybe it shouldn't be usernames, but a counter. It will simply count how many people a player killed during his whole game experience, then show numbers, when you click on person. That will greatly help, if a griefer spawns as baby, and mother can just abandon him, but if a griefers spawns eve, then more probably other players are still doomed.

#8 2018-03-18 12:48:43

ShadowsSoldier

Go! Bwah! wrote:

I don't know what public servers y'all are playing on, but I've only been killed twice by griefers in all my games, once by knife and once by bow.

When you play are you in fairly large civilizations or just ones that are tiny and peter out themselves. The more thriving a civ, the more likely it is to give birth to a griefer/murderer.

Last edited by ShadowsSoldier (2018-03-18 12:48:52)

#9 2018-03-18 13:06:44

Helperguy

usernames are usuall given by the mother.
i wish for this feature too, but it would change the games feeling. i think more different clothes in future updates will also help identifying users. maybe the username should be a craftable item like home marker?

#10 2018-03-18 15:58:34

Dchella

mrfox wrote:

Don't leave weapons lying around. This is the first step - making weapons is tricky so let's stop arming trolls.

How is one supposed to go about hiding weapons in a communal area which looks like a landfill? Even if you were to do that, that slows down progress for the whole village. I personally would rather risk getting killed than handicap my village for a threat that doesn't even exist.

#11 2018-03-18 17:06:32

Casdir

Dchella wrote:
mrfox wrote:

How is one supposed to go about hiding weapons in a communal area which looks like a landfill? Even if you were to do that, that slows down progress for the whole village. I personally would rather risk getting killed than handicap my village for a threat that doesn't even exist.

You would rather risk of having your whole village killed by a psychopath, instead of wasting a little bit of your time trying to hide a knife behind trees? come on, it's really not that time consuming compared to most other things in the game. Yeah, it can be finicky to put items behind objects such as trees, but I rather waste a little bit of my time then taking the chance of having someone kill the entire village for shits and giggles.

Or you take it with you in your backpack at all times. That's probably even better. If someone happens to kill your towns folk, you'll be able to defend them and be the white knight of your camp.

Last edited by Casdir (2018-03-18 17:10:20)

#12 2018-03-18 20:15:06

masamune0

But if they grief, it is probably not a poor village where you struggle just to be alive because food is scarce/naked... So they can easily make weapons in this kind of village (that's really not complicated, unless griefers are really beginners but I don't think a beginner would grief).

And you must be very lucky to be able to save the village even if you have a weapon. Because in the first place, you need to know it, and the vision is really small (see only a few squares around), the murder grave doesn't last long at all. And since no armor is available, you can insta die without being able to fight back (the one having the initiative will kill you, so griefers have an huge advantage).

And yes, username which can't be changed would be nice. At least there is one consequence of their actions. But I would be prefer to be able to craft armor, and make detecting murders easily (loud sound around big area, murder graves lasts longer). I like that there is a bit of pvp, but it needs to be handled way more nicely.

#13 2018-03-18 22:32:10

Dchella

Casdir wrote:
Dchella wrote:
mrfox wrote:

How is one supposed to go about hiding weapons in a communal area which looks like a landfill? Even if you were to do that, that slows down progress for the whole village. I personally would rather risk getting killed than handicap my village for a threat that doesn't even exist

You would rather risk of having your whole village killed by a psychopath, instead of wasting a little bit of your time trying to hide a knife behind trees? come on, it's really not that time consuming compared to most other things in the game. Yeah, it can be finicky to put items behind objects such as trees, but I rather waste a little bit of my time then taking the chance of having someone kill the entire village for shits and giggles.

Or you take it with you in your backpack at all times. That's probably even better. If someone happens to kill your towns folk, you'll be able to defend them and be the white knight of your camp.

I don't want to be tasked with hiding the bow and arrows or knives because some knobhead at any moment could use them to kill the whole village. Those tools are relatively inportant and are good to have on the side at all times. I don't want to handicap my village because a griefer is (or is not) present amongst the children.

I understand what you are saying, but I do not think hiding potential weapons is a solid fix to this issue; it just seems like an annoyance if anything.

#14 2018-03-19 00:21:57

Casdir

Dchella wrote:
Casdir wrote:
Dchella wrote:

How is one supposed to go about hiding weapons in a communal area which looks like a landfill? Even if you were to do that, that slows down progress for the whole village. I personally would rather risk getting killed than handicap my village for a threat that doesn't even exist

I don't want to be tasked with hiding the bow and arrows or knives because some knobhead at any moment could use them to kill the whole village. Those tools are relatively inportant and are good to have on the side at all times. I don't want to handicap my village because a griefer is (or is not) present amongst the children.

I understand what you are saying, but I do not think hiding potential weapons is a solid fix to this issue; it just seems like an annoyance if anything.

I mean yes, a bow and arrow is pretty handy to have to protect the camps from bear attacks for example. I don't mind bows too much tbh, since they're actually really useful compared to a knife. But I don't think knives are really worth having around, unless you use them to protect people and have them in your backpack at all times.

And I get it, having to hide items from people that may potentionaly use them to kill you, sounds counter productive. But again, if you see a knife laying around, you should pick it up and either hide it somewhere or take it with you to protect people. It's just not worth letting it sit on the ground for everyone to see it and take the risk of having someone go on a mass murder.

Some story time..

Things are actually looking a little better right now. At least on server 3. I have helped like 3 to 4 camps to become big. All of which are pretty close together as I have found out. I just finished connecting one town with another, while making a lot of clothes for the people and doing some other busy work. I was reborn around 5 times in these 3 camps. That's something that rarely happens to me. Most of the time it's like 2 times, and thats it. But the camps are ever so slightly getting bigger. Even when a whole population gets killed, someone is going to find one of those camps sooner or later and repopulate them. It still sucks that things are being slowed down so much by people that kill just for fun which isn't even much of a challenge in this game right now.

I had two people kill somebody. One of which seemed like an accident. I was going to arm myself against him and hunt him down, but I wasn't able to find a bow. He ran off, so whatevs. The other guy killed a mother that was trying to feed one of the children (she was terrible, feeding only one kid even tho there was another one next to her that needed food. there was tons of food around.), when some grandma shot her with a bow. I was like "FFS!" since it was the second person to be killed in the same town in the same life. I asked her why she did that, but she was just mumbling about that that's what she deserverd and blah. Then she said "good bye world" and poofed into bones.

And on my last life, when I was connecting two towns together, I had to feed a child as a guy. Some mom must have abandoned him for some reason. I saw him ran towards me, and then he stud still before me. I looked at him for a moment, before I decided to grab my backup carrots from my backpack to feed him with them. Then I took him and ran to the berry bush places that I knew were around. I was feeding him with berries until he was old enough to take care of himself. "Good luck buddy." I told him, before I went back to keep building my road.

Dad of the year material, I tell ya. Lol

I was also feeding a brother of mine when I had just grown old enough to grab stuff. My mother was too busy doing other things, instead of taking care of my little brother.

Oh well, it made up for a small but fun experience. Raising your little bro while you're a little child yourself, heh.

Last edited by Casdir (2018-03-19 00:53:37)

#15 2018-03-19 01:49:32

Go! Bwah!

ShadowsSoldier wrote:
Go! Bwah! wrote:

When you play are you in fairly large civilizations or just ones that are tiny and peter out themselves. The more thriving a civ, the more likely it is to give birth to a griefer/murderer.

I'd say "fairly large" pretty often.  Maybe I've just gotten lucky.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

Board footer