One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-08 08:35:32

pein

Brittany Blackwood

I was born into a town, and like usual focused on important stuff, getting iron, making mine, getting sheep, i blocked off a mosquito in top north side of the swamp with an adobe pillar as it was a tiny swamp between out farms and that mosquito bit a lot of people
then a girl started to make a tiny adobe pen near it, so i extended it, got sheepfood ,went out and brought a sheep
she blocked left side entrance right when i came and then dig out right side entrance and left the pen open because she was  pissed that we didn't let her do her stupid pen, and she was shittalking after i told that she opened the pen and i had to lure the muflon back, so i stabbed her as she clearly doesn't listen to reason and would have continued sabotaging it

You can shittalk but you had so many errors and you were too slow

- the pillar was there to block the mosquito which was in the swamp we used the most, you are not enforced to build near it, very bad idea, you didn't even used it as part of a wall so even more
-you don't build entrance near the mosquito, people will run to it, totally fine if one side is closed cause of this, or don't built it near a mosquito
-a 3x3 pen is too small, by making 4 corner entrances, it wont be extendable, you only plant bushes where it final, right side was close to the city, that's fine, left side limiting with bushes is dumb
-would be nice to ask first, where to build a pen, you clearly thought you are an expert , but others were far ahead of you in planning, a huge jungle and you choose a swamp side too close to the kilns
-its rude to block a functionable front entrance just because you don't like it, it doesn't mean you cnat build one, but don't ruin other sides in the process
-i didn't make front entrance for the look of it, i made it because you planted the bushes already, which makes it harder to extend, if i go around it, it's the same thing but more waste
there i many pen types and you only seen one, i get it, you had one plan in mind i get that too, but you were clearly wrong and still calling older, smarter people names and destroying others work, so you ttally deserved your fate
and probably bad idea to shittalk to someone with knife
and the fact that you died, means you are the noob
also don't take the cart of other people without asking, grown the milkweed and the extra rope by myself, you cannot just skip out the steps and still act all so holy
i don't have the time to explain stuff if you don't even listen, im flexible enough to hear and react to arguments
it's a town, accept he help, and communicate calmly, clearly you were struggling and you were way too slow

pens are important piece of each city, and they don't have to look all the same

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=2294940 me

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=2294940 dumbass chick who thinks its pro

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2018-12-08 15:17:26

sinfulcliche

Re: Brittany Blackwood

Wow that does sound really terrible. With no sheep the civ is doomed in a few generations depending on resources. I really enjoy this game but I wish people would be less quick to anger.
When people take my stuff I do get a little mad but it's not the end of the world. There's always gonna be more baskets.  I also try to think about their intentions, they probably need it for something important too. I think people should have in mind that their project probably isn't the most dire and important one, and should always be willing to listen to other players. But that's just me!
What that player did was unbelievablely crappy though

#3 2018-12-08 20:49:12

CrazyEddie

This is what I mean about experienced players with knives being on f*ing power trips.

pein, you're very good at this game, but you should try letting other people play it some time. Let people make mistakes. Let civilizations die. And if someone shittalks at you, grow a thick skin for f*'s sake. There's nothing special about you that demands every insult be responded to with the death penalty.

You like to say "It's only a game" when another player has their current life ruined because someone like you let them starve or abandoned them or stabbed them or unleashed a bear on them. "It's only a game, they can try again in their next life." But god forbid someone might do anything which mildly interferes with your own vision of what's best for the town in your current life.

You get to play because you're good at it, and other people only get to play if you allow it.

You're incredibly selfish.

#4 2018-12-09 02:23:10

wio

Wow, you even killed her. Does pein have some OHOL soap opera episode every day?

#5 2018-12-09 07:48:47

pein

i tried to talk to her multiple times
when you open a pen accidentally it's a problem, when you do it intentionally just because you don't like the aesthetics of it, its worse than griefing
if you are ignoring the help and even talking back it means that you will continue to do so, and i don't want to spend half of my life fixing the same thing cause others want to be right

i made a mine before it, which isn't really my style, but knew nobody will do it and we need the iron soon
if you are born as a kid, at least look around and ask, taking older people jobs is not nice at all
i could have stop her before starting it, but she ignored me, i could have kiled her on a trip and get away with it
but honestly if you say stuff like her like "you don't know how a pen looks like" when obviously she never seen a front entrance, never built bigger than 3x3 and her obsession with symmetrical bell bases regarless of map , i don't think i can keep her around ruining a working pen and shit talking

every threat is needed to be taken seriously, i often had lives where i didn't kill the by with the arrows, or let the cultist pray between the bones
or couldn't take down the thief who took clothes
i demand a bit of respect when its kind of obvious that im the most active player on the camp, have snake shoes, straw hat the sheeps skin i shot, all made by myself and freshly made cart, if i see such old persons, even if i knew that probably im better than them, i choose other stuff to do than them
smiting is ok, i let people do it, but placing permanent structures with no knowledge is other thing

im ok with adult language and f bombs, but paired with this kind of actions is not ok, we could have made the corners back later, the size and the functonality was important in first place, and her intentions were clear when she ruined both sides and even talked back bullshit when i told not to open it cause the muflon already ran out once

not only ruins the game for me, but for others who already expecting compost on that level of civilization, even if they don't know it was a grind to smith all tools, i don't see a point ruining multiple people fun to let a selfish asshole test her skills on how to copy a generic 3x3 pen speedrun

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2018-12-09 09:43:12

CrazyEddie

pein wrote:

i demand a bit of respect when its kind of obvious that im the most active player on the camp

Being good at a video game does not earn you one iota of respect.

#7 2018-12-09 11:26:13

pein

CrazyEddie wrote:
pein wrote:

i demand a bit of respect when its kind of obvious that im the most active player on the camp

Being good at a video game does not earn you one iota of respect.

is that a dakota saying?

sucking in a video game compared to not, means something
you can pretend that its not, but then again, why you cry if you get killed
now you can talk a lot of bullshit per minute, you can even try to kill me, im fine with that
if i communicate nicely, answer nicely
if you made a mistake say sorry

truth is whenever i play as twin, people like mirelli or baker come and say to kill someone who is a sponge or might be a griefer
i generally wait them to act, while it would be totally fair that if i observe someone not contributing, get rid of it
all of the above is same rule for me, and i totally expect that someone will mention it if i sponge resources or got any bad intention, ýou got the ingame tools, you can prove you are better player
cursing  others and keeping grudge for 10 min+ means you arent mentally strong
killing someone before makes trouble is the less dramatic way

#8 2018-12-09 17:10:02

Gabby

Well, this surely makes me wary of trying to start any sort of project.

Be nice to the mouflon

#9 2018-12-09 23:09:39

Carrot-Seedling

Pein, you're scaring off the new players... How about you go chill, while other people teach people like Brittany? If they were new as well, then maybe CrazyEddie has a point.

Gabby, don't worry, not all people are toxic all the time. A lot of people would like to see projects, so don't worry, have some fun!

You have now laid eyes upon the one and only Raidan Allcock on the leaderboards. tongue

#10 2018-12-09 23:58:08

Tarr
Banned

Carrot-Seedling wrote:

Pein, you're scaring off the new players... How about you go chill, while other people teach people like Brittany? If they were new as well, then maybe CrazyEddie has a point.

Gabby, don't worry, not all people are toxic all the time. A lot of people would like to see projects, so don't worry, have some fun!

Sometimes you can't let new people just do what they want. I've on multiple occasions had them being destructive either in an attempt to help or just plain ignorance like I can't let someone go around cutting the kindling trees in the bakery and I certainly can't let them start chopping all the junipers.

I can tell when they're new because the bakery tree choppers twin was trying to attack me with the axe after I killed her sister. If someone says "stop" you either need to listen or be ready for the consequences of not stopping. In the latest tree chopper episode they were hitting all the trees around town which were mainly junipers/maples. I can't just let someone ruin a towns ability to make fire just because someone doesn't want to listen to me asking them to please stop.

It's a two way street. I understand new players are just trying to learn and have fun but at the same time if I'm asking you to stop cutting all the fire trees, shearing the last sheep, tilling all the three piles, etc you need to listen or accept whatever happens when you fail to follow instructions. You can't let one person fuck over the whole village just because they're new.

fug it’s Tarr.

#11 2018-12-10 06:23:25

TheoneKooZ

Sometimes you can't let new people just do what they want. I've on multiple occasions had them being destructive either in an attempt to help or just plain ignorance like I can't let someone go around cutting the kindling trees in the bakery and I certainly can't let them start chopping all the junipers.

My fix to that is to get people to maintain the main fire better in more advanced civs and bring more firewood next to it.

But to get back at the main issue here, treat the new players like babies. You wouldn't go and kill your children would you? Bad buildings, bad farming design, bad roads, bad kiln placements, bad house placement, wood floor on desert, bad/weird pen design and the list goes on. I usually don't mind them too much, they are trying to learn the game and have fun. When I see them doing something that can be extremely harmful for the town (last seeds!) I give them recommendation or more information on why or how to do things.

Of course having someone trying to build a bad pen in early civ can be harmful but that's usually when they are trying their best to help the town and letting them know how important it is that you complete it fast (fast > quality for early civ.) and as long as it's functional, who cares? Just fix it in another life if you or someone else who wants to improve it when the civ can afford designers and builders.

Also, it's such a blast to finally be able to build a house or something higher tech after several lives of struggle, you can't really be bothered by design/placement/temperature. Anyway, civs dies... most of the fun is rp'ing and working with others to build something in high tech towns. Had a huge blast this weekend working with people making oil pumps in any mid-high tech towns I found. It's a long process so having people working together for it was fun even tough few were noobs they were willing to help and learn.

I have to say though, I've seen many rude/very-selfish people lately that are ready to kill you as soon as you borrow the only shovel in town (that they think they own) to go dig a rock or grab poop just to bring it back less than a minute later and have them still be mad about it. In a town, nobody owns anything.

Last edited by TheoneKooZ (2018-12-10 06:25:06)

#12 2018-12-10 17:57:29

Catfive

I have to say though, I've seen many rude/very-selfish people lately that are ready to kill you as soon as you borrow the only shovel in town (that they think they own) to go dig a rock or grab poop just to bring it back less than a minute later and have them still be mad about it. In a town, nobody owns anything.

Whilst this is true: You need to understand that some things get priority. And that manners go a long way.
Asking 'can i take shovel for a few mins?' will almost always get you use of it. Taking shovel while someone has made a huge patch of compost piles and is ready to finish their task will occasionally get you sworn at or killed. Is there not a forge you can make another shovel at? towns always need at least 2 shovels

Taking the only thread needed for rope in a town that is out of water and needs a Newcomen engine finished so you can stitch a pack again, not going to have a good result.

No one owns these materials but are you seriously expecting to wade in and take what you want when people are obviously working projects is a complete lack of respect and like Pein, I'd kill you for it np. If you asked first you'd get it with my blessing.

#13 2018-12-10 23:38:37

TheoneKooZ

I think you missed my point Catfive. I was talking about tools that are reusable and you are short on like the first shovel or something. Also, only noobs use a thread to make a backpack in a town with sheep I don't understand how you came to assume I would steal key resources that are hard to make for trivial things from the initial point I was making.

Also note, most of time if I have to borrow a tool that we are limited on, I will say "brb" and bring it back less than a minute later instead of wasting a minute to explain. Also, if I need the tool for something it is 100% for something that is in dire need like compost or building pen in the case of shovel. If I have to borrow for a while for trivial things I will either make an extra one since it's trivial or ask to borrow for a while if it's not currently needed for anything important.

Also, you have guys also have a weird approach on "projects". Most of them those are usually trivial like buildings or aesthetic and if they are not, I'd rather not call them projects but rather call them tech-development like the water pump which is now important and key to town's survival and I agree that sometimes when things are going bad and you need the resources to save the town, you can't afford to have someone else take it for something trivial but since not everyone is good at spotting what's urgent... Some resources are bound to be grabbed by people not noticing it to make something else. But it's still wrong to just kill them... at the very least they deserve a calm explanation before you kill them. And hell, if they knew what they were doing and just stole it for their own sake you sure have my blessing to kill them.

Lastly, I always respect everyone in town. There are many hard workers in the farms that don't get recognize enough. And again, this game is great because of the many steps of things so even if you decide to make a tool or plant something for a "project" there are still people who made the compost, fed the sheep, maintained the farms, made the tools, got the iron and so on so in a way everyone is always taking from others to make something and who knows at that point with so many steps but that's the beauty of the game.

#14 2018-12-11 00:14:55

PeaGirl

I am with Tarr and Pein in this one. People who are playing this as a new player clearly have no respect for those who are trying to teach you how things are done. You may say that they are selfish and taking game too seriously, it's not always the side of things when it comes for a community game that is heavily based on group effort, not quarrels and drama. You need to be flexible and reasonable, and at least able to say what your intent is. Pein was right to do as he did, I would've done the same clearly. Death is not greatest punishment in game since you can still come back to game in same minute you died.
Pein is probably the most hard working in this whole community for what I've seen it. You definitely don't want to get in wrong side with him. It is just wiser to just listen to others, since as a community it is easier to do things than alone.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

Board footer