One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-12-07 18:30:34

lionon

Re: my dontdothisorelse list

Simply wanting a dog is a legitimate use. Not everything has to have instrumental value. Paint doesn't. Bonsais don't. Signs don't. Notes don't. Arguably, the entire "goal" of the game, to the extent one exists at all, is to build the infrastructure necessary to achieve the non-instrumental values.

I've no issue with paint, bonsais, signs and notes. Never seen a bonsai tough. And notes and signs *do* or can have their purpose in town organisation.

But for dogs there is only danger... and for every legitimate "i want it for beauty" person as you might be, there are several griefers.

It's not worth it, and this is due the way the mechanics around dogs work.

#27 2018-12-07 18:48:55

Floofy

Btw guys i actually think you are both right in a way. Dogs IS a feature of the game and calling someone a griefer just because he built a part of the tech tree isn't very fair. But lionon is also right that dogs are purely just a way to hurt the town and a really good way to grief in a twisted way. The best solution to this issue is for Jason to create some uses for the dogs.

#28 2018-12-07 19:15:19

mrslax

lionon wrote:

Things that I consider rude:
------------------------------

* Taking kindle out of any oven/kiln. Seriously somebody put it there for a reason and I know everybody considers their current project the most important one, but seriously taking it for example out of the kiln to put in your oven or as fire starter is just rude.

* Standing around in the smithy. Smithy needs fast movement to be efficient. Lollygagging within the smithy (area) is just pestering the smithy for no reason.

* Taking a flat stone or round stone out of the smithy. Similar reason, if you want to make fried eggs get another flat stone, don't take the one out of the smithy.

* Taking the round or sharpened stone from the bakery. Same as smithy.

* Making baskets out of straw unless if there isn't on every field one ready made compost already (or ok at early upstart from wild straw)

* Making locks. Nothing good gets ever out of them, unless maybe for signs. Everything else, just wasting iron and causing trouble.

* Standing in the cold, raising your kids and pick them up every second... then munch up a whole mutton pie every other minute... (okay this is likely just not-knowing-better-ness).

* Carrying a knife, not doing anything knife related jobs when, while there is a need piling up. If you are the only person with a knife -- "for security" -- and skinned sheep pile up in the pen, and uncut bread in the bakery, you're doing it wrong.

Things that I consider close to griefing already:
----------------------------------------------------

And thus might me put people on the watchlist and if they don't stop after one warning, getting a knifing. Also combined (tell them off on one of these things and see them do another soon later). Or if I just had another bad experience a knifing right away.

* Breeding dogs. As of the game mechanics there is no use of them, not even lasting decorative. It wastes resources, fills bowls with hard to get rid of carnitas and has a high chance you're doing this only to make a mean pit bull attack. Or a wolf farm to kite into the village.

* Making bowls of carnitas. Same reason unless there is a convincing effort visible to make tacos. And in this case I will watch closely that person actually make tacos and not dogs.

* Sheering the last sheep. Even if there is the odd chance to hit a newbie with this, I've more than once a griefer acting hypocritical innocent when caught "oh I didn't know, sry." Then 3 minutes later they do it again...

* Cutting down any juniper tree. I don't care if there is another available. Cutting them down makes fire making much harder and every juniper tree cut maybe by a good intentioned person because the other is not far or even nearer, just makes the job for a potential griefer much easier.

* Same for maple. Cut down a maple tree and you'll be in trouble. (Albeit in contrast to junipers they could regrown)

* Carrying more than one knife. There may be the odd chance you found one in the wild while you had one. Or there are really only trouble makers around. But the town would be better off distributing it to busy workers (who are obviously productive). Generally I'll assume you want to starve the town of weapons just to prepare for a massacre...

* Taking the file or the smithing hammer out of the smithy.

Anything else?

I would like to add you will get shot in the face list includes:

*Taking the bellows out of the smithing area. ( there is no good reason ever to do this)

*Going AFK while holding something of importance.

*Making a laso before having a sheep set up.

*Picking out the last carrots before it seeds

*pulling up a road just because they are too lazy to find more falt rocks.

*Sheraing the last sheep for the 2nd time

#29 2018-12-07 19:17:40

Potjeh

You can be rolling in food but still starving for baskets, and having mutton cluttering everything because people are spamming compost for milkweed farm or whatever. It's not about the food. Baking bread and cooking mutton is about clearing the clutter. Lack of open space in work areas makes you take longer walks to do anything, which adds up to a lot of time lost. Calories are not the most valuable resource in OHOL, seconds are.

#30 2018-12-07 19:24:18

Floofy

Potjeh wrote:

You can be rolling in food but still starving for baskets, and having mutton cluttering everything because people are spamming compost for milkweed farm or whatever. It's not about the food. Baking bread and cooking mutton is about clearing the clutter. Lack of open space in work areas makes you take longer walks to do anything, which adds up to a lot of time lost. Calories are not the most valuable resource in OHOL, seconds are.

I mean the end objective of the game is probably to create the best future you can for future generations, so they survive too. Leaving a tons of food in theory is a good way to do that. Because in theory (and really, in theory), people aren't supposed to die of starvation in a town with food everywhere in it.

#31 2018-12-07 19:31:03

lionon

* Cutting the last wheat. How could I forget that!

#32 2018-12-07 19:41:35

Potjeh

Floofy wrote:
Potjeh wrote:

I mean the end objective of the game is probably to create the best future you can for future generations, so they survive too. Leaving a tons of food in theory is a good way to do that. Because in theory (and really, in theory), people aren't supposed to die of starvation in a town with food everywhere in it.

I've never seen an endgame town die to lack of food. It's always lack of girls or griefers.

#33 2018-12-07 19:48:39

CrazyEddie

Potjeh wrote:

"Calories are not the most valuable resource in OHOL, seconds are."

Agreed. But. Cooking mutton isn't the best way to deal with that clutter. The best way is to create a vast field of mutton in open terrain facing out from town but still next to the bakery. Keep it out of the way of all the in-town working areas, but stockpile it for the future (some future time when people are using less soil) rather than wasting four-fifths of its food value by cooking it instead of putting it in a pie.

Wheat, I'll give you, that's a problem, because people aren't going to bother to thresh it in some out-of-the-way location and you can't move it without wasting a bowl. For the record, I always thresh wheat someplace safe because I assume the wheat grains are going to stay there forever.

#34 2018-12-08 04:15:37

denriguez

CrazyEddie wrote:

Wheat, I'll give you, that's a problem, because people aren't going to bother to thresh it in some out-of-the-way location and you can't move it without wasting a bowl. For the record, I always thresh wheat someplace safe because I assume the wheat grains are going to stay there forever.

Just a PSA you can remove wheat from a bowl with the same kind of branches you use to thresh it. One helpful job would be to carry a cart around town collecting bowls of wheat, then dumping the bowls away from town near the bakery. (Also, this thread about using crocks for grain storage is still one of the best not-yet-implemented ideas.)

#35 2018-12-08 04:15:38

betame

Agreed, that the meta for a long line isn't about maximizing food/iron. It's about finding time and effort to teach every single child you have how to keep daughters alive.

Follow them around. Force-feed them if needed. Hold their hand so that their lack of playtime doesn't hurt your lineage. They'll learn faster. They'll love the game more. They'll make life easier for everyone afterward. There will always be someone to teach in this game.

If the game were solely about food production, it would be too easy.

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#36 2018-12-08 10:46:54

Solbusaur

PEOPLE. COOKING. MY GOOSE. ON A FIRE

Im trying to make a file in this dying Eve town and some random steals my goose and burns it! I know it's a common newbie mistake, but I swear I could kill someone for that!

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

Board footer