One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-03 21:22:52

PapaSmurf

Problem: Infants running away

We've all had children immediately run away, punishing you with a birth cooldown and potentially ending your town/eve start. 

The problem is half of the players do not know about the /die command.

Can you please add an infant die button in the escape menu or tips in the main menu explaining commands?

#2 2018-12-03 21:47:02

Floofy

Re: Problem: Infants running away

Very good post, and i 100% agree.

#3 2018-12-04 06:44:36

Tramax

When /die was implemented Jason said "we need something that serves as an out for experienced players but isn't something a brand new player uses without understanding why they would want to"

Point being, only after you've experienced lives in various environments should you know running away is  not the only option.

Last edited by Tramax (2018-12-04 06:45:12)

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#4 2018-12-04 06:59:26

pein

maybe they want to be boiz or girlz or they hate the name  you gave or just you
there are many things people consider
once i seen a nab who always wanted to be named abby, i killed it twice cause was annoying 4th time

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2018-12-04 07:25:00

lionon

Tramax wrote:

When /die was implemented Jason said "we need something that serves as an out for experienced players but isn't something a brand new player uses without understanding why they would want to"

Point being, only after you've experienced lives in various environments should you know running away is  not the only option.

Well the issue is, every noob can run away anyway into suicide...

#6 2018-12-04 14:28:07

Tramax

lionon wrote:

Well the issue is, every noob can run away anyway into suicide...

Well yeah, but /die lineage bans you (usually). Running away means you can spawn back into the family anyway/

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#7 2018-12-04 14:38:31

lionon

Tramax wrote:

Well yeah, but /die lineage bans you (usually). Running away means you can spawn back into the family anyway/

I know, but the mother gets penalized for it. That was the issue PapaSmurf raised.

If there would be "sudden infant death" button for newbies that just kills you, but without penalizing the mother but also without lineage ban, since they don't know what it entails, would be helpful.

There is no reason /die could stay nevertheless, for players who know, what it means.

#8 2018-12-04 14:45:32

lionon

Suggested solution: pregnancy (45 seconds make it proper smile)

This also solves other issue. The mother sees she is pregnant and has some time to prepare (like stopping a horse chart, I was for example one dropped out at the back of a horse likely without the mother realizing...).

The new player get already to see the surroundings* and a "miscarriage" button. If they click, they simply get to the next mum (instead of having to runaway suicide and if they are mean even poke a bear). The experienced player gets to type /die which includes a lineage ban.

* Seeing black but only hearing would be more realistic, but given it's a game and it allows people to less infant suicide...

PS: Might even give the mother to /no ... to make it a miscarriage.. (penalizing her tough)

#9 2018-12-04 14:47:11

wolfgang

lionon wrote:

This also solves other issue. The mother sees she is pregnant and has some time to prepare (like stopping a horse chart, I was for example one dropped out at the back of a horse likely without the mother realizing...).

The new player get already to see the surroundings* and a "miscarriage" button. If they click, they simply get to the next mum (instead of having to runaway suicide and if they are mean even poke a bear). The experienced player gets to type /die which includes a lineage ban.

* Seeing black but only hearing would be more realistic, but given it's a game and it allows people to less infant suicide...

PS: Might even give the mother to /no ... to make it a miscarriage.. (penalizing her tough)

This times 1000. Best solution to the issue, although also requires the most work on the dev side.

#10 2018-12-04 15:18:36

Booklat1

babies should just move slower IMO

#11 2018-12-04 15:22:31

lionon

Booklat1 wrote:

babies should just move slower IMO

Maybe. It will make motherhood with good children more difficult tough if you pop out a baby while standing in a cold biome and having a basket with valuables with you... there is no longer "follow me" to the village. Will confine mothers even more to stay all their fertile years in or close to their village. Including babyhood/childhood and elderhood you only have about 15 minutes of that hour you can freely move as woman.

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-04 15:22:58)

#12 2018-12-04 15:43:24

Three

lionon wrote:

Make it 15 seconds 45 is too long IMO

#13 2018-12-04 15:51:47

WalrusesConquer

How about you are pregnant until the baby loads in? This varies in time so still has an element of surprise but gives you a heads up not to go on a huge quest.
Also it is a shame to be abandoned before you can even see.

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#14 2018-12-04 16:20:18

Floofy

lionon wrote:

Amazing idea, i love it. Even the mother could get some sort of button to miscarry the baby instead of wasting the baby's time.

#15 2018-12-04 16:22:43

wolfgang

Floofy wrote:
lionon wrote:

Amazing idea, i love it. Even the mother could get some sort of button to miscarry the baby instead of wasting the baby's time.

Sometimes a village simply cant support more babies yet, so this is a bit of a better option than simply letting them starve or killing them.

#16 2018-12-04 16:35:20

gabal

You can pick them up and they can't jump out for a minute. Then if they want to die they have to use the command which will reset your pregnancy timer.

#17 2018-12-04 16:48:03

lionon

Since children (EDIT->babies) can run as fast as you, if they run off the second they are born, there is no picking up.

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-04 16:48:28)

#18 2018-12-04 17:59:10

Floofy

gabal wrote:

You can pick them up and they can't jump out for a minute. Then if they want to die they have to use the command which will reset your pregnancy timer.

Generally if they run off its because they don't know how to use the command. Forcing a baby that wants to die to live will generally result in a griefer or a total dead weight.

#19 2018-12-06 20:58:48

PapaSmurf

lionon wrote:

A miscarriage missing a lineage ban would be a good idea.

Giving the mom a heads up would make mothers abandoning children less common, since they could stash their item before the child appears.

It also reduces the infant corpse spam from /die players.

Great idea.

I agree the /die command is kinda anti-fun/RP, but every newb knows how to run away, so hiding the /die command isn't helping anyone.

I think adding pregnancy miscarriages without a lineage ban is a great solution.

Board footer